American Idol: Advice and Dream Set Lists for the Season 12 Top 10

The American Idol Top 10 kick off the Season 12 finals tonight (8/7c on Fox), and if this year’s crop of contenders get innovative and avoid the same old boring ballads (like, say, “I Have Nothing” or that Phil Collins chestnut whose title shall not be uttered), we could be in for two months of great performances and nail-biting competition.

Alas, though, there are numerous sinkholes and blind curves on the road to Idol glory. Which is why I put together a gallery laying out the strengths and weaknesses of every Season 12 contestant, along with actionable advice for improvement (hear me, fools!) and a list of unexpected songs they’ll want to consider.

VIDEO | Idology: Who Broke Out of the Pack This Week on Idol? And Who Merely Shot the Peacock?

So click through the 10 photos below, then hit the comments with your own tips and dream set lists for the contestants! And for all my Idol news, interviews, videos and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (38)

• For Kree — anything Bonnie Raitt!! Ahhhh!

Comment by Marianne – March 13, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +100. and i want to hear more Susan Tedeschi. maybe something by Tedeschi Trucks Band. they have incredible songs that she could sing. Midnight In Harlem or Don’t Let Me Slide.
      maybe k.d. lang too. if she does rock-blues-folk songs, and it sound a little country because of her voice- she’s going to have a big and varied fan base. a nice combination of Elise-Crystal-Carrie fans that will carry her to the top.

Comment by noa – March 13, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, yes to both above. Her voice has always seemed to be the love child of k.d. lang and Bonnie Raitt…which ain’t a bad thing to be.

Comment by The Beach – March 13, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • put something on tvline about the veronica mars movie!!!

Comment by lisa – March 13, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t be the only person who likes how Burnell dresses?….. Can I?…. Plus I’d love to here him take on Frank Ocean’s “Bad Religion”, Gil Scott Heron’s “New York is Killing Me”, Minnie Ripperton’s “Inside My Love” or Aloe Blacc’s “I Need a Dollar”.

Comment by Alan – March 13, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my God. They Say Vision for Burnell! YESSSSS! Nobody knows that song, you are a music freak!

Comment by Julian – March 13, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why you have it in for Burnell’s fashion sense, I kinda love it! Early ’90s throwback with a modern twist. Not everybody needs to wear plaid shirts Slezak :P I kid, I kid…

Comment by Nat – March 13, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Sweet Jane” for Kree Harrison would be AMAZING though we all know there will be something like Barry Manilow night or Elton John night so we won’t get anything current and/or interesting.

Comment by Sue – March 13, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, those are horrible song choices for Kree. Gads. Cowboy Junkies would put people to sleep. My City is Gone by Pretenders? Back to the drawing board, buddy.

Comment by karen – March 13, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just started reading this but right off the bat, on Angie’s page: “moreso,” one word? Please tell me that’s just a typo. (On second thought, I KNOW that’s a typo; Michael will recoil in horror, and fix it.)

Comment by marie – March 13, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The accompanying photos are exceptionally well done. Wish I’d taken (and processed) them.

Comment by marie – March 13, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if heather nova’s walk the world is on idol, i will cream my pants. it will never happen, but that was your best suggestion ever michael

Comment by tara d – March 13, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really, really want Candice or Amber to sing some blues! Maybe Gary Moore’s “Still Got the Blues” or Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble’s “Cold Shot”. I would literally rub my fingerprints off voting for them.

Comment by bbl – March 13, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL…even that picture of Curtis annoys me!! ;-)

Comment by ceebee – March 13, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Janelle Arthur – “One Heart Missing” (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals)
    Candice Glover – “Déjà Vu” (Beyoncé Knowles)
    Amber Holcomb – “More Than Anyone” (Gavin DeGraw)
    Angela Miller – “Love Song” (Sara Bareilles)
    Kree Harrison – “Undone” (Haley Reinhart)

Burnell Taylor – “I’m Yours” (Jason Mraz)
    Deven Velez – “Carry On” (fun.)
    Lazaro Arbos – “To Where You Are” (Josh Groban)
    Paul Jolley – “I Knew You Were Trouble” (Taylor Swift) [more acoustic]
    Curtis Finch, Jr. – “What Kind Of Love Are You On” (Aerosmith)

Comment by Jake – March 13, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man I think YOUR list, Jake is one of the best song suggestion lists I have seen on here. And thanks for suggesting a crappy song choice only for Curtis because for me it doesn’t matter what he does it will not be good and will likely have the same high note point fixed into it for the songs climax. I only would like to hear Jolly do blown away with the wholr band live before he does the one you suggested tho.

Comment by Johnny – March 13, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, thanks. And while I wouldn’t mind seeing Curtis booted, I think a bluesier version of the song could possibly work.

Comment by Jake – March 13, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carry On is a GENIUS choice for Devin. And if Paul doesn’t cover Taylor at some point, he’s not even trying to win.

Comment by Harvey – March 13, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My advise is that all these contestants need to read Michael Slezak’s recommendations every week = he pretty much speaks for the masses!

Comment by PattyWilla – March 13, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Umm I like Michaels site here and everything, but he does NOT speak for the masses. I tend to think he chooses crappy choices in his articles just to stir people up to go against them and therefore give his site more attention. SMART MOVE! :D

Comment by Johnny – March 13, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d just put some Alabama Shakes in there for Candice Glover. She could totally rock “Hold On” or “Rise to the Sun.”

Comment by ChellemaBelle – March 13, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope someone does Alabama Shakes! I was listening to Hold On yesterday on the radio and did not know who it was from. I tried to remember some of the lyrics to look it up when I got home, but then I forgot to do it. So I looked up Alabama Shakes today because of your comment and now I know who they are! I honestly thought Hold On sounded like it could have been a Mick Jagger song from the albums he did several years. Now I have listened to their album today and I really like it.

Comment by teatime – March 13, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree knows who she is as artist, flat out. She’ll pick the right songs for her voice. It won’t be a predictable choice, like “Evidence” proved. She is influenced by Otis Redding. She likes to wail on country blues. With all the buzz about Evidence last week, she do well to choose another uptempo blues/rock/country song tonight. Fingers crossed.

Comment by karen – March 13, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Angie’s biggest weakness is her Miley Cyrus face. Do we REALLY need ANOTHER one of those?

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – March 13, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re quite superficial

Comment by Shaun – March 13, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sequence of elimination prediction: Amber, Curtis, Devin, Paul, Janelle, Candice, Angie, Burnell, Kree

Comment by karen – March 13, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oops, forgot Lazaro. Revised sequence: Amber, Curtis, Devin, Paul, Janelle, Lazaro, Candice, Angie, Burnell, Kree

Comment by karen – March 13, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really think Paul Jolley should do some Journey songs. I hear a lot of Steve Perry in his voice. He could have a dare I say “moment” doing that.

Comment by Joe – March 13, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burnell would DEFINITELY have to drink like, 3 red bulls if he ever decided to sing “Potential Breakup Song”! (surprised, and not gonna lie, pretty excited to see an Aly and A.J. gem on this list!

Comment by Kait – March 13, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really love these suggestions! Here’s how I would love things to pan out:
    10. Curtis 9. Janelle 8. Paul 7. Lazaro 6. Amber 5. Devin 4. Burnell 3. Angie 2. Candice 1. Kree. Of course, this will probably not happen at all, especially since the public has been going crazy about lazaro and angie. im guessing their top 2 :/

Comment by sg54 – March 13, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m usually with you, Michael, but I completely disagree with your advice to Janelle. I think that going quiet and restrained is the opposite of what she needs to do – that’s what got her into this slump in the first place! The main reason Home was a vast improvement over her other Vegas round travesties was that at least it had some ENERGY, and that’s what I think she needs to work on. I want a return to the Janelle from the auditions where she showed that great grit and power. If I could pick Janelle’s songs for her, I’d have her do a country twist on a crowd-pleasing classic rock anthem, something like Pat Benatar’s Heartbreaker or Bon Jovi’s Blaze of Glory or Beatles’ Come Together.

Comment by grace2552 – March 13, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree has a great advantage. After Janelle and Paul are inevitably eliminated, the country vote will go to her, and the country vote is VERY important. She seems to be the closest thing to an Elise, so people who want rock will probably go to her. If she continues to be so con distance, she might just win. PLEASE God, LET THAT HAPPEN!

Comment by Dan – March 13, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When’s the last time we’ve had a talented country-rocker? It’s a goldmine of votes.

Comment by Harvey – March 13, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *consistent. Stupid auto-correct…

Comment by Dan – March 13, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You really hit the kind of songs Angela should be covering, but she’ll definitely stick to more traditional idol fare.

And I agree Candice needs to inject a little pop into her choices.

And Love Interruption for Kree? Perfect.

Comment by Harvey – March 13, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Going with Colton Dixon was not traditional at all.

Comment by Shaun – March 13, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Curtis likely first out. Almost certain. 99 1/2% a done deal that he’s on the road home tomorrow

Comment by Guitar Blue – March 13, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they start having guest coaches, diferent guest coaches they change evry week.

otherwise the ontestants get stuck in a groove which hurts soem and elps others. Change the coaches and mentors every week.

Comment by Shaunna – March 14, 2013 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post