Bachelor's Sean Lowe (and His Abs) Join DWTS: Can They Restore the Show's Ratings Muscle?

sean lowe dwts peta murgatroydSean Lowe is engaged to be married, but that doesn’t mean the erstwhile Bachelor is done baring his torso in public or writhing around with sexy blonde chicks.

ABC confirmed this morning the long-running rumor that Lowe will be a part of Dancing With the Stars‘ upcoming Season 16, paired with pro Peta Murgatroyd (who captured Mirrorball Glory in Season 14 alonside football star Donald Driver).

PHOTOS | Dancing With the Stars Season 16 Cast Revealed: Who’s Likeliest to Win? Check Out Our Odds!

Now the question remains: Can this life-sized Ken Doll — who helped ABC’s long-running dating franchise achieve the difficult task of improving its year-over-year ratings — reverse the declining numbers for the network’s ballroom competition? And will the presence of his charismatic abdominal muscles be enough to sate viewers longing for the oft-bared chest of popular pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who’s sitting out Season 16?

RELATED | The Bachelor Season Finale: Sean Picks [Spoiler]!

There’s no denying Lowe’s goofy charm (and enviably low body-fat percentage), but his DWTS stint — and his announcement on Monday’s “After the Final Rose” special that he and fiancée Catherine Giudici plan to turn their wedding into a TV special (airing, naturally, on ABC) — might be a turnoff for fans who want to believe that fairytales end with Prince Charming and his bride riding off into the sunset, not into the glare of the TV cameras.

Oh, and speaking of extending one’s 15 minutes…the “ATFR” special also included the announcement that Desiree Hartsock (third runner-up in the Mrs. Sean Lowe Pageant) will be the star of this summer’s edition of The Bachelorette. Here’s hoping her brother doesn’t pop one of her suitors in the face!

What do you think about Sean Lowe’s DWTS stint? Does he have a chance to win the Mirrorball Trophy? Will his presence make you more or less likely to tune in? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (33)

• Can I actually hope that Desiree’s brother DOES pop someone in the face?

Comment by Broadway Baby – March 12, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh…, at least I won’t have any desire to watch this season now.

Comment by Mike – March 12, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed that Sean has decided to ride the fame train. First he announces that he and Catherine are going to get married on ABC (cheesy) and now DWTS. Guess the pull of celebrity was stronger than his wish for private life and family values.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 12, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. That was my first impression as well. No wonder he kind of dodged the whole “will Catherine be moving to Dallas” question last night. He’s going to LA. Disappointing. “Guess the pull of celebrity was stronger than his wish for private life and family values.” Could not have said it better myself. :)

Comment by Kim R – March 12, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m starting to think that Des’ brother was right about him.

Comment by Timmah – March 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t watch the bachelor but the Bachelorette’s Trista and Ryan did the exact same thing and it was a ratings bonanza. May or may not have been his own idea.

Comment by Kvivik – March 12, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, I just didn’t expect this from him (he could have said no). Rumor has/had it that Trista & Ryan had to stay married for a certain amount of time, under contract. It’s all about the money. I’m sure he’s getting paid a lot. That just cheapens the relationship IMO. But then again, to go on national television to find “love” is pretty cheesy in itself :-) The only reason why I watch his season is because he seemed like a real genuine, down to earth guy. Clearly I was wrong.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 12, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • aren’t Trista & Ryan the only couple from the franchise to actually get married? Maybe a wedding airing on television is good luck charm lol

Comment by JJ – March 12, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, Ashley and JP got married last year and it was televised.

Comment by Pati D – March 12, 2013 07:49 PM PDT
          • Jason and Molly also got married and are expecting a baby together.

Comment by Lacy – March 13, 2013 05:34 PM PDT
    • Everyone is so cynical about this. I think appearing on the Bachelor(ette) indicates that a person has no wish for a private life and I am not sure how appearing on the show some how means he has lost his family values. What is wrong with riding this wave for as long as it lasts? He is going to get paid for the next couple of weeks to learn to dance. Sounds fun to me.

Comment by SeanFan – March 12, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s be honest here though, is it not possible that this has more to do with money than fame? I’ve heard that contestants get paid $150,000 per episode. If that’s true, then I don’t blame him a bit for choosing to do DWTS. Would you honestly turn that down? If Catherine and him do end up staying together, that is money that can be used for their future.

Comment by dani3girl – March 13, 2013 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who knows? Maybe it’s Catherine who wants Sean to ride the fame train? Didn’t Jake go on DWTS right after he was engaged to whats-her-name? Although they were both running after that train.

Comment by twnkltoze – March 13, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto, I agree fully !! I guess $$$ more important than Catherine. In other words, his set of values for a good home life was a “false statement”.

Comment by Shazi – March 27, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know. Reminds me of Jake Pavelka… he was so cute and then the more we saw of him, the less attractive I found him. Just further proof that these shows are casted with wannabe actor and not really people looking for love.

Comment by Brendan – March 12, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Makes me wish I hadn’t bothered to watch this last season of The Bachelor at all. It was (emphasis on was) Sean’s wholesome, down to earth personality, etc. that made him attractive to me. Sadly that’s gone now.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 12, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the first thing when they announced Desiree as the new Bachelorette, which by the way, I figured out because she was not in the ATFR audience, was that she’d better either have a nice long talk with her brother OR send him to Siberia when her Top 3 picks meet the parents.

As for Sean on DWTS, I’d have thought, he’d be planning his “big” TV wedding with Catherine, rather than going on DWTS. But what do I know? I imagine, either money talks, OR, like Jerry Springer before him, he wants to learn to dance for his wedding.

I am NOT one of those “OMG Sean Lowe” people. I thought Arie was so much better looking and had more personality, so for me…all the talk about Sean and his abs being the shirtless wonder…just doesn’t cut a rug (no pun intended) with me.

I’ll be watching this year, but already the odds on favorite is Derek which already is a turn off to me.

Comment by GinnyB – March 12, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Des should keep her brother around. He seems to be pretty good at sniffing out phonies.

Comment by Timmah – March 12, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arie is a skank.Dated Courtney, dating Selma now Anything to keep his wimpy bod in the news I guess ROFLMAO

Comment by sandi – March 12, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Reality Steve was right again. Sad that almost every Bachelor seeks fame. It is because of this that I don’t watch anymore. Just seems totally staged and about these people getting into acting.

Comment by Ava – March 12, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, is which I won’t be watching DWTS or Bachelor Shows anymore, its all Fake !! Who cares what Sean does, I don’t ..lol

Comment by Shazi – March 27, 2013 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Peta! She’s one of the best professionals that DWTS has now she’s got a bum contestant. Not basing that on how well he can possibly dance, but Sean is such a joke…

Comment by Amanda – March 12, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she’s had really good contestants two seasons in a row, and everybody knows that unless your name is Derek Hough, you’re going to get a clunker every few seasons (unless you’re Tony then it usually happens more often)

Comment by Maggie – March 12, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually feel bad for his fiance! Peta is worse than Cheryl when it comes to being overly flirtatious with her partners and is all over them. Peeta and Max broke up. So for those that will be watching you can play a drinking game with how many times Peeta flirts with Sean and how skimpy her clothes get.

Comment by sarah – March 12, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to wonder if Sean is doing this for extending his 15 minutes of fame. Remember the last guy to dance on dancing with the stars was Jake, who was a media addict. It was clear he wanted to live in Hollywood and no longer wanted to be a pilot. I hope Sean doesn’t turn into Jake. He should be focusing on his relationship with Catherine. Now that they are free to go public with their relationship, he decides to join Dancing with the Stars. I mean really. If you couldn’t see your boyfriend for a month or so would you rather be spending time with your significant other? So I have to question the sincerity of the relationship. I know it is tempting to join this popular dance show, but I think I have more respect if they decided to leave reality shows behind and focus on their future.

Comment by Allyson – March 12, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think he’s in any way committed to Catherine. Remember how he made her wait the week Des was kicked off? And he said he could see himself married to Lindsay just as much as her. He probably just flipped a coin. His one true love is fame.

Comment by Timmah – March 12, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh he’s committed enough to get paid to wed her on live television. We’ll see if it actually happens. Don’t get me wrong I wish them the best if they truly are in love but very disappointed in his decisions to continue their “relationship” in front of the cameras.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 12, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole “I woke up the day before the final rose and had clarity” is baloney. This was after he made out continually with Lindsay. When he dumped her, she showed him more class than he deserved.

Comment by Gale – March 12, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is this guy a “star”? What a joke.

Comment by John – March 12, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boy, did he have me fooled. I thought he was such a great guy in the beginning. Watching him with all the girls showed him to be such a player. Now it turns out he is just all about fame and money. (Reminds me of Jake.) TV wedding paid for by ABC,,,,,,how romantic. Thought he wanted to get married right away…. lets’s get paid to go on Dancing With The Stars first. What a hypocrite. Fame addict, you bet. So sad he believes his own press and sells his soul!

Comment by workout wonder – March 12, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My prediction: Sean and Catherine break up. I give them 6 months before they call it quits. He was being very vague about Catherine moving to Dallas. Once Dancing with the Stars is over, he will be trying to get his “Acting career” started. He will claim he and Catherine have drifted apart and that they aren’t on the same page anymore.He wants fame. Jake was the perfect example of this! Going from one show to the next. Not to mention he is dating that blonde actress just for the publicty. I think ABC should ban Bachelors from premiering on Dancing with the Stars.

Comment by Allyson – March 12, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how is he star quality to be on dancing? they really have no stars left do they? i guess he is on to bring in the bachelor fans but wow

Comment by dude – March 12, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post