Pilot News: Kristen Schaal Replaces Mandy Moore on ABC's Pulling Comedy

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Pilot News Kristen Schaal Replaces Mandy MooreBob’s Burgers vet and erstwhile 30 Rock scene-stealer Kristen Schaal has joined ABC’s pilot adaptation of the BBC comedy Pulling, our sister site Deadline reports, filling the void left when Mandy Moore and the project mutually parted ways.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

As such, the lead cast is now complete, with Schaal (in the role of man-hungry Louise) joining June Diane Raphael (NTSF:SD:SUV) and Jenny Slate (Saturday Night Live) in the single-camera comedy about three dysfunctional women in their 30s living their lives the way they want, even if society tells them they should have it all figured out by this point.

Moore was originally cast as Louise back in February, but last week the actress exited the project, saying that as writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky “moved the character in a different direction, it was clear this wasn’t right for me.”

Comments (29)

• I love Jenny Slate and Kristen Schaal. Here’s hoping this is good!

Comment by Sam – March 12, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I guess they moved the character in a VERY different direction. I love Jenny Slate, so I may be interested in this. Schaal kind of annoys me though (or maybe it was just her 30 Rock character).

Comment by Brandon – March 12, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, she’s annoying in general.

Comment by dude – March 12, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. She is annoying. I was interested in this pilot, but not sure I can stomach it anymore.

Comment by Jake – March 12, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally felt the same way about her in General but I saw her on The Jeselnik Offensive a few weeks ago and she was hilarious. Though I do not get how anyone could possibly justify replacing Mandy Moore with her.

Comment by RobMF – March 13, 2013 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alright! At least they got a hot chick in there now!!!

Comment by JASon – March 12, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You, sir, are a comedian.

Comment by Eric – March 12, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What is hot to you may not be hot for others. LOVE Kristen Schaael, im digging this show now.

Comment by Eric – March 12, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t mean that Schaal isn’t hot. She has her charms. I meant that she definitely isn’t the first hot chick on this show. I mean, JDR is in it!

Comment by Eric – March 12, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just kidding around because they replaced one of the hottest women on the planet with Schaal (not your typical beauty).

Comment by JASon – March 12, 2013 03:13 PM PDT
  • I love how her name is going to be Louise in this. Same as in Bob’s Burgers. She’s hilarious in that.

Comment by Steven – March 12, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her voice is so effing annoying.

Comment by Teag – March 12, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Kristen Schaal is great! Hopefully the show will be good. :)

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – March 12, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show does intrigue me now. Kristen Schaal is very talented and very funny. Does she still do those feminist reports for the Daily Show? I can’t recall the last time I saw her on there.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – March 12, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Replace a hot chick with someone who isn’t attractive and also has a very annoying voice… pass.

Comment by Sg. Grant – March 12, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh God. Ugly and annoying, with a voice that could shatter glass.

Comment by Miffy – March 12, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THEY REPLACED MANDY MOORE WITH HER?!?!!?!? whaaaaaaaa

Comment by Lisa – March 12, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! She’s great. I’m actually interested in this pilot.

Comment by Leah – March 12, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who’s got two thumbs and definitely wouldn’t watch this show now? This moi.

Comment by CJ – March 12, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Schaal, Raphael and Slate all have ZERO name recognition, and I actually like the latter two. Schaal I hate for putting a damp on what was a perfectly good season of 30 Rock. She’s annoying and really unfunny, I don’t know how she keeps getting cast. Anyway, hoping ABC passes on this. It’s got failure written all over it.

Comment by SJ – March 12, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch 30 Rock week-in, week-out, never missed an episode. Then they brought in Kristen Schaal last season 2011-12, and I stopped watching 30 Rock cold. I’m sure she is a nice person, a good comedic actress, but for those who believe she is just the best, please take a moment to watch her work on 30 Rock – *she was unwatchable*. I’m sorry. She reminds me of Amy Ryan – both don’t appear comfortable in front of a television camera. The camera loves some actors, and others it doesn’t. Life isn’t fair. Good luck to the producers of this pilot .

Comment by Please forgive me for being so blunt, but I'm just puzzled – March 12, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a fantastic trio of women! i am DEFINITELY looking forward to it!

Comment by cjeffery7 – March 12, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Schaal is great and it’s not her fault her character in 30 Rock was pretty useless. I’m surprised there is no mention here that she was in Flight of the Conchords.

Comment by ES – March 12, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what the character was like before the change, because Mandy Moore and Kristen Schaal are two VERY different kinds of actress. I like both actresses a lot – for very different reasons – but wow.

Comment by Summer – March 12, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds more promising. Don’t know why they would cast a non-comedic actress in a comedy to begin with.

Comment by Jay – March 13, 2013 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive seen the english version it would better on cable

Comment by John Moshier – March 13, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she’s hilarious, whereas Mandy Moore (while gorgeous) can’t act her way out of a paper bag. Now I’m actually intrigued.

Comment by Spencer – March 13, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post