Ratings: TNT's Dallas Corrals Season-High Audience for J.R. Ewing's Swan Song

Dallas J.R. Ewing Funeral RatingsMonday’s farewell to J.R. Ewing gave TNT’s Dallas a shot in the arm ratings-wise.

The emotional hour drew 3.6 million viewers, a 28 percent boost over last week’s episode and the show’s largest audience of the season.

RELATED | Dallas Post Mortem: Get Scoop on the Shocking [Spoiler] Reveal!

In the target demos, the episode corralled 1.4 million adults 25-54 (up 26% vs. last week) and 1.1 million adults 18-49 (up 23%).

The impressive numbers are nonetheless a far cry from the nearly 7 million who tuned in for Dallas‘ premiere last summer.

TNT has yet to make a decision on renewing Dallas for a third season.

1. Mark says:

Michael, what is your opinion on Dallas’ chances of renewal?

• tp says:

A friend of mine works at Turner. She said it’s a no-go…same with Monday Mornings. Let’s hope they change their minds.

• Gillian says:

Such a shame. This season is so much better than the first. I wish they had kept it as a summer show. I think airing it now killed the ratings. Too bad is won’t get renewed. Great show!

• Martina says:

I really hope they give Monday Mornings more of a shot, it’s a brilliant show with an excellent cast,it rose this week in viewing figures, I think it’s really difficult to start midseason especially with all the competition on the networks.

• Cindy says:

Reason ratings falling because competing with Dancing with the Stars

• Adam says:

What would your friend possibly know of this matter?! I find it very hard to believe that any employee of Turner, with the exception of executive officers, would have any idea if this show will be renewed or not. Unless your friend is an executive or directly involved in the planning and execution of programming on tnt, then I wouldn’t give your comment much thought. J.R. has friends in high places, and I don’t think your friend is one of them.

• Marta says:

I also hope they change their mind. Dallas and Monday Mornings are the two best shows on TV! Dancing with the Stars – YECK!!! Dallas has so many twists and turns which makes it exciting and you can’t leave the TV! PLEASE RENEW BOTH OF THESE SHOWS!

• Brandon says:

According to both Brenda Strong and Jesse Metcalf, these are roughly the number TNT was expecting in a winter-season, because TNT gets most of their ratings when NBC, FOX, CBS and ABC have all their high-rating shows off the air for the summer. They also said TNT is happy with these numbers. Plus, ratings are increasing each episode. Monday mornings is getting an average of 1.5 million viewers per episode. Dallas is getting about 2.5 million.

Neither are good numbers, but Dallas’ ratings continue to go up, while Monday Mornings numbers are consistently not increasing. I don’t know if Dallas will get renewed, I hope it does. This has been a wonderful season and Mondays’ episode is probably one of the best episode of the entire run on either TNT or CBS back in the day.

• Don says:

We will see the new Dallas is well written. Great show indeed but TNT can not blame anyone but themeselves they should have left the show where it was in the summer on wednesday nights. When you move a show around you are asking that It be canned. The ratings however have continued to rise each week for Dallas. If they had aired the JR farewell it the summer months it might have gotten a 5.0 rating think about it.

• jim hathcock says:

I don’t know if TNT has decided not to produce the third season of the revived Dallas.

They need to keep producing it and put more money into promoting it. The dialogue is better than in the original series and so is the writing. The characters in the new generation of the rival families can face all kinds of new challenges in the oil and energy business.

I vote to produce another season, get some great guest stars, and capture the audience that is sick of reality television.

Jim in Orange California

2. dude says:

i so hope its enough to bring it back. last night was so goood!

3. Rob says:

They better freakin renew it. As a 20 year old fan of the original and the new show, they owe it to the die hard fans of this show to continue the saga.

• missy says:

Yes, I agree. I grew up watching the first Dallas and love the new one as well. Please, please, TNT, renew Dallas!!

4. dude says:

^^exactly shows arent good like this anymore and i hear monday mornings isnt doing well TnT think it through. bringing new life to old favs is the cool thing right now with this and Girl meets World

5. Elyse says:

it was an amazing episode!!!!

6. I never watched the original (I was born in 1987) but I love the new version. I appreciate the return of the original characters and felt that they sent JR off the best way they possibly could given the circumstances. I really hope they renew it if only to tie up loose ends.

• Tony says:

The Gosh darn winter ratings. I hate when shows do this. I love Dallas with all my heart. I got some friends interested. SPREAD THE WORD TO FANS EVERYWHERE!!!!!

7. dude says:

born in 85 only recently starting watching the first Dallas JR himself would approve of the episode rip Larry. i hope if they have another ending to this season if things don’t work out

8. Robert Schweigert says:

I saw the funeral for JR Ewing, I thought it was a very good tribute to a legend. I have been watching it for awhile now, I thought this episode was one of the best. The sneak peak about whats coming up, Who shot JR? Its really going to make me stick to this show.

• Kjess says:

I agree, the teaser was great! I thought the episode was just ok. I expected to be more moved, but I guess spending an hour crying over JR Ewing just wasn’t going to happen! I will keep watching to see who shot JR, though!

9. Eric Martin says:

I was a super fan of the original and I am thrilled to be able to enjoy the contnuation of this amazing show! Last night was an incredible episode episode! The excitement is back! Cant wait for who killed jr!..the writers dud an amazing job with the unfortunate passing of larry hagman..my Dad who has nit watched the bew version but watched the original, did watch last night and is now hooked!

10. katrina says:

The show needs more romance and less of the characters just sleeping around. The backstabbing doesn’t always make sense to me either. If the writing improved just a tad, I think the viewers will stay past the big JR mystery.

11. Renew! says:

I hope it gets renewed.

And I wish people would watch MONDAY MORNINGS, too.
    Enjoying that as well.

12. Scott says:

Three words : Pam Ewing Recast It would really make a great Season 3

• Cindy says:

If Victoria Principal will not be recast as Pamela Ewing, how about trying to get Jacqueline Smith…. To play Pam Ewing

• JulieSu says:

Hmmm, maybe… Victoria should seriously consider returning to Dallas. If she knows they are bringing back her character, it might as well be her playing it. She doesn’t want to dishonor what Pam and Bobby had together, but if Dallas is going to bring back Pam regardless of who plays her, it might as well be her. That would bring “honor”! Anybody else playing that role would not fly with old fans like myself who grew up watching Dallas. If this show gets cancelled, I will be realllly bummed.

• JJ Smith says:

Let’s think this through. Let’s say they bring back Victoria to play Pam.
          Remember – the reason Pam left was because she was horribly disfigured from the fire. If she had surgery to look normal again – how would Pam possibly choose against Bobby, but more than that, why would she choose to stay away from Christopher? Why would she marry someone else and stay away from Christopher?

• Kim Fyffe says:

Good suggestion about Jacklyn Smith

13. dude says:

yes i say we learn she is alive in the finale and then 3 is about bringing her home. i would hate to see a recast Pam but the story potential is too good to ignore

14. Andy says:

I loved it!!! So sad that he’s gone! I was born in 78 (everyone seems to be mentioning their age) so I missed the original Dallas, but in college my roommates and I would smoke weed and watch it, all for JR. I love Dallas 2.0 and hope so bad that it gets renewed.
    Larry Hagman, you were one of the greatest villains of all time!
    (BTW Josh Henderson really showed that he can act in this episode. Kudos)

15. ABC says:

Watched a few of the episodes last summer and didn’t stick with it. I tuned in last night and was super impressed and moved. I had the day off and am now caught up with the rest of season two. I really hope it gets renewed.

16. Sunshine says:

I watched the original when I was a kid with my mom, grandma & great aunt & it was one of my favorite shows. . I love the new Dallas & the tribute was amazing. My mom, grandma & great aunt all would have agreed had they lived to see it.
    I truly hope it gets renewed. TNT needs to realize that the numbers they pulled in the summer will be different then the numbers they pull now as their is more competition during this time.
    The writing & of course the acting is superb. . . Much better than most network shows.
    JR will be missed but his legend will live on and I hope Dallas 2.0 will live on for a long time to come . . .

• Cort says:

Agreed. I hate it when things that premiered during the summer months and flourished gets thrown in to the deep end and during the middle of a television season. I hope they renew it and move it back to the summer.

17. Long Time Fan says:

I watched every episode of the original and was a die hard Dallas fan. I’ve so far watched every episode of this continuation as well and think it’s great. There just aren’t that many good TV shows on anymore and Dallas is a nice surprise.

I also find Monday Morning to be really good. I appreciate David E. Kelly’s writing style and enjoy the show and the interaction and story lines.

I hope that TNT will continue both.

18. Cort says:

What a truly fitting farewell. I hope this gets renewed. I was born in 81. Grew up watching the original with my gran and went back to the beginning on my own years later thanks to re-runs and dvds. I was iffy on the thought of a reboot but they brought the old magic. As for the numbers they aren’t too bad for cable. Please don’t cancel this show TNT. So much potential still there. Especially if they somehow get Pam. I detest recasts but if Victoria won’t do it (I really wish she would) then they should recast the role. So much story to tell there.

19. it’s only performing poorly because the regular broadcast season is terribly busy. if renewed, the summer run would do much better than the winter run.

20. Elyse says:

it would be such a mistake for them to cancel Dallas… it was a hit last summer. they should have kept it as a summer show.

21. Not surprised by the iffy status of DALLAS. First, it was thrown in the middle of the broadcast season where it is getting swamped by other networks’ shows [especially FOX'S hot THE FOLLOWING], then TNT did little promotion until this episode. Second, it is following a pattern of Turner screwing around their shows, like their sibling Cartoon Network [jerking around DC Nation, and cancelling Clone Wars]. Hope TPTB wake up and keep this show going. I was a fan of the original Dallas, and I love the reboot.

22. Billy Bob says:

Dallas will get a third season. It has substantially improved over what Monday night’s ratings were before Dallas and Monday Mornings.

Also, wish they would hire Ted Shackleford as a regular. He and Linda Gray are great together.

23. Layne says:

Whoever the person was on the “inside” at Turner that started this comment thread, I think is badly mistaken. I seriously doubt TNT is thinking cancellation. DALLAS may not be pulling the numbers that it did last summer, but given it’s one of the only TNT shows that is aired during the winter, when there is stiff competition, DALLAS is pulling the total viewer and demo numbers that TNT expected. Every comment I have seen from network execs and DALLAS producers echo this statement, saying it is not only meeting but exceeding their expectations for the time slot it has during these winter months. And you also have to wonder how much DALLAS’s production costs went down with the passing of Mr. Hagman. He often bragged in interviews about the reason he came back for the show was because they were paying him “a lot of money”. So given all this, I’m betting on a renewal for season 3. TNT may shift it back to late summer, but I believe they see the value in DALLAS.

24. Faster says:

I’m loving this show, and hope it doesn’t get cancelled. I’m a bit younger than those of you who mentioned your age, but the reboot has made me start to watch the original series and I am loving the entire saga. I hope it sticks around, and I’ll watch it at any time of the year. I am still miffed at why they would cancel this show – its viewership spans multiple generations and it is the only show on TNT I see advertisements for. Needless to say, it is also the only show on TNT I have watched (other than occasionally hate watching Franklin and Bash). But really, what would Dallas get cancelled for? More Franklin and Bash? Tell me that can’t be true!

25. Josh says:

We waited 20 years for this show. Shoulda done it a decade ago when we coulda enjoyed 10 more years of JR. Don’t mess it up now. Keep it on the air!

• Debbie says:

Totally agree. Waited 20 years for Dallas to return. I could watch this once a week forever and I wouldn’t miss one episode. The actors and actresses play their parts perfect. I have seen every episode of the original Dallas and the new Dallas and love the new Dallas just as much as when I was watching the old Dallas. It’s my favorite show on TV and it doesn’t matter what other show I like that airs the same time as Dallas, I watch Dallas live. I will be real disappointed if TNT cancels Dallas. I don’t know why TNT would want to cancel it for a TNT show the ratings are good. If they cancel Dallas I wouldn’t be watching TNT I’d be watching a show on network TV.

26. Jamie says:

Dallas will definitely be back for a 3rd season. It’s TNT’s top show in the current schedule and is being used to build its winter viewing. Plus, the execs at Turner are huge fans and supporters of the show! It’s coming back!!

• Don says:

Sure hope so the show is well written if you understand soap drama. To get this deep into the contiuation and not renew would be a crime.

27. Melissa LaGreca says:

What a Tremendous Show!! Please renew Dallas for a 3rd season. J.R’s send off was riveting.. I experienced so many emotions in such a short time. The episode flew by.. Now that J.R. is gone, there are so many storylines that can be written to keep this show on the air for many more years. Season 2 rocks!!!

28. KPM says:

I saw an internet report which states inside sources claim Dallas will get 3rd season the date of the report was 2-13-13

29. Robyn says:

TNT must bring Dallas back for another season. They need to co mingle more of the original cast and bring JR’s son James and the son he had with Callie. Lets not forget Bobby’s blood son Lucas that he and Jenna had but Ray and Jenna raised. The age of these “offspring” along with Charlie Jenna’s daughter would surely fit in with the age group set to fill the shoes of all the old folks!

30. Mandy says:

I am a die hard fan of the original Dallas! And I am a very tough critic! The new Dallas is Amazing!!!!!! Josh Henderson is to die for, he will also get better with age just like the original JR Ewing! Every episode this season leaves you wanting more! Please how can we keep this show on the air?????? And does DVR hurt the ratings?

31. BellaFaccia says:

All I can say is RENEW RENEW RENEW. This show is the guilty pleasure in life that gives me/many of my friends, a huge look at our pasts which we love and the characters and writing has gotten fantastic. This is a no brainer renew… Matter of fact we have decided if there is no Dallas renew we are not watching any of our other TNT shows anymore either!

32. Frank says:

Did Michael comment on Dallas’ renewal? What do you think Michael Ausiello? Will Dallas get a third season?

33. Chad Donaldson says:

Dallas MUST renew! It has united 3 generations of Dallas fans in my family. My mother of 65, my wife and I (46 and 40), and my 2 daughters (16 and 13) are all die-hard fans of Dallas-TNT. My parents and wife were addicted to the original series and teach my children the series history. It was wonderful and funny watching the whole family burst to tears when JR died (my 13 year old being the worst). Nothing else makes my 16 year old actually come home for dinner (like the one we have before Dallas every week). This show is amazing and my whole family is addicted to it. It can’t go away!!!!!

34. Dee says:

What’s amazing to me is that I am a Huge fan of Larry Hagman, I watched Dallas 20 years ago and was addicted to it, now I am addicted to this Dallas. I can honestly say that this show can go on without JR Ewing, the writing is that good ! I hope they just keep renewing the show every year. The young actors are also awesome which I was really surprised to see Especially Jesse Metcalf :)……. LOVE THIS SHOW !

• KansasGuest says:

Cynthia Cidre really did a wonderful job with this DALLAS sequel, didn’t she? She doesn’t just know the characters. She KNOWS the core of the show like no one else, and masterfully relates all of the present plot back to the original series with subtle homages and references that feel right without being blatantly obvious. Remember when Jock died? It was also in the 2nd season (how eerie is that?). Bobby’s reaction to J.R.’s death mirrored Miss Ellie’s in the original so well that it was shocking. Only fans of the original would feel that connection, even if they don’t remember the exact scenes. The one thing that is missing is that J.R. always had Bobby, in good times & bad. John Ross seems so alone that it’s really sad. He grew up with Chris. But, JRoss always pushes him away. J.R. had 2 other sons. Maybe they’ll make an appearance eventually.

35. Mary says:

How can we boycott TNT if they do not renew Dallas!?!??!!? It’s one of the best shows and the acting is outstanding. How can they not renew it??? Is there an online petition we can send to TNT to renew this wonderful show?

36. marn23 says:

I just went on the TNT website and sent an email to them about renewing Dallas. There is a format on their site for contacting them. I urge all Dallas fans to visit the TNT site and find the “contact us” button and voice your outrage at the possibility of Dallas not being renewed!

37. Erica says:

They better renew it!! Love Dallas

38. David says:

Love the show! I DVR it due to there’s just so many shows on Mondays..,,

39. Rita says:

PLEASE RENEW. DALLAS. I. HAVE. WAITED. For all these year for someone to rewrite it. This is a great show. With wonderful actors. The. Way. All. Of. Us. Was given a real. Good. Bye to J.R. PLEASE. RENEW

40. Ryan Healey says:

Personally, I feel TNT made a couple mistakes here and to not try and remedy them with a third season would be foolish as this is a VERY well done show and they are lucky to have it. Not knowing how well it would do, they did not order enough episodes of Season 1 which did very well because it was not up against original programming on the major networks. Then they had a major hit and didn’t have enough episodes to keep momentum.
    Then, in order to try and remedy this, they put the show back into production for a “winter season” knowing waiting a year to run a new season would be trouble. Sadly, this winter season IS up against new network programming which is the cause of the ratings slide. Dallas is a PERFECT SUMMER SERIES.

Then, adding to their tactical errors above, they lost Larry Hagman who had cancer from the time they began the new series. So, while his passing is a major loss and sad (he was amazing as JR again) it was not stunning. He was 81. They now cannot expect Patrick Duffy and Linda Grey, no matter how great they are, to hold up the entire original show’s fan base.

Original stars should be 1/3 of the cast, new 2/3 to transition. Two original stars is not enough. Move Gary and Valene back to Dallas for some reason. Make Afton a regular and put her up against Sue Ellen. Heck, have Lucy in once a month. Maybe she has a child. Maybe the child is trying to get a piece of the Ewing’s fortune (as Gary’s grandchild). You have a ton of characters to pull from and as crass as it sounds, you’re not paying Hagman’s salary any longer, you can afford a few of the other original cast members with that chunk of change freed up.

I have heard that TNT IS in negotiations for Season 3. While I am sure it’s not cheap to make, the investment is well worth it. Put it back on air THIS SUMMER. It can be done. The order should be 18 episodes.

41. Karen says:

Really would like to know who sent Elena claiming to
    be Christopher and broke off their engagement

42. jim says:

My family are 35-plus year veteran fans of Dallas. The first season of the new Dallas needed a little time to catch it’s footing, but it is now coming on so strong and impressive. It is turning out to be as incredible as the original. In some ways it is even better. C’mon TNT, allow this show some more time, just as the networks use to do back in the day. This is one of those shows that will really catch on and go for many seasons, if executives will just allow it it’s wings.

43. jim says:

I would agree with Ryan above. More Gary and Valene, More Afton and MORE Clif Barnes. Wow, is Clif turning out to be a force of darkness or what. Great villain potential. l also think the new villains such as Harris Ryland and his mother are outstanding. Well written characters all.

44. JJ Smith says:

I LOVED the old Dallas. It was so hard to see it end – I was lost on Friday nights for a long time without it.
    However – I love the new one just as much. And this 2nd season, in my opinion, is even better than the first. I want to see this show renewed and running as long as the original. There’s a lot to be told……
    And I think the casting has been phenomenal.

45. Cindy says:

I’m the biggest fan, of this and the original. I hope that we see more seasons in the next few years. We have been waiting for a resurrection of Dallas for too long. Please keep it going.

46. Will says:

I’m 31 and remember the last of the origional series it was Awsome then and the new dallas is Awsome now with all the crap on network tv now they have to renew the new dallas for season 3

47. Tipp says:

Please put Dallas back on Wednesday nights, so it doesn’t compete with DWtS.

48. christine says:

Please let here be a third season. I hope it works out.

49. David says:

I’ve watched Dallas since the 80’s. It’s still a great show and could be even better as they bring back characters from the original series I.e. James Beaumont, Lucas Body’s son, Charlie wade, etc.