The Clone Wars Cancelled on Cartoon Network

CloneWarsObiWan_300Star Wars: The Clone Wars will no longer exist in Cartoon Network’s corner of the universe, Lucasfilm Animation announced Monday.

Via a post on its site, the studio behind the popular animated series said “the time has come to wind down the series” — but added that it would continue production on new Clone Wars story arcs and promised to keep fans posted on where to find the additional content.

RELATED | A New Hope : 6 Ideas for a Star Wars TV Series

In addition, the Star Wars Detours cartoon comedy series previewed at the film franchise’s Celebration VI in 2012 will be released later than planned.

Detours was conceived and produced before we decided to move forward with the new Star Wars trilogy,” the post states, “and in the wake of that decision, Lucasfilm has reconsidered whether launching an animated comedy prior to the launch of Episode VII makes sense.”

Disney acquired Lucasfilm — including the rights to the Star Wars universe — in October. As The New York TimesMedia Decoder blog points out, future Clone Wars content and Lucasfilm’s “whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming” will likely land on the Disney XD cable channel.

1. kresh says:

aaaand nobody cares.

• Bry says:

Umm the ratings for that show are crazy. Tons of people care. This is a pure Disney move to prop up XD with more than children viewers.

• anakinjmt says:

Maybe if you’re not a Star Wars fan. But to those who are, this is a sad day.

• Tom Whiting says:

Plenty of people, of all ages care.
      This show is one of the very few on a cable network to get actual full seasons, and has received them since season 1
      The show was presented with an award for being the highest rated animated sci-fi show currently on TV.
      This wasn’t a ratings issue (ie: nobody cares), this was a company issue.

• Cody B says:

Wooooow. Such an ignorant comment. Obviously you haven’t been watching one of the most amazing and brilliant shows on television. Your loss I guess

2. Behzad says:

So, double Unemployment for Matt Lanter!

• JC says:

Poor guy loses two jobs in less than two weeks! Here’s hoping Oxygen gets picked up to series.

• John DeMayo says:

He’s not losing a job. Production on the series is continuing — it just won’t air on Cartoon Network. The series is likely moving to Disney XD… or at the very least, online distribution.

3. Mike says:

I want to cry, the finale was incredible, but I’m sure this was not Cartoon networks decision. Can’t wait to see whats next, I’d love to find out what happens to Ahsoka.

• James says:

I know, right? She must die, though. She’s not in the movies so her character has to go disappear in some way.

• Mike says:

She could be in hiding, she was not a Jedi anymore, so she didn’t have to die in the purge. Also I’m not entirely knowledgeable on all the extended universe, do we know what happens to Ventress?

• James says:

I think she left the war after being injured in a battle with Anakin and Obi-Wan. Or at least that’s what I read somewhere.

4. Nooo :/ If they just didn’t want it on their channel then just move it to disney? Or maybe its because its tied to the recent prequels?

• anakinjmt says:

This was a Lucasfilm decision, not Cartoon Network. CN signed yearly contracts so it was assumed after this season it would move to Disney XD. I’m sure if it was up to CN they would keep Clone Wars going.

• John DeMayo says:

It hasn’t been “cancelled”, it just won’t be on Cartoon Network, specifically. It’s probably moving to Disney XD.

5. Albert J. Pickles says:

I think cancelled is likely a misleading word here. I think the show will simply move to a Disney channel, likely Disney XD, to air Season 6 or whatever else they have in store. This was inevitable after Disney purchased Star Wars.

6. wordsmith says:

Unfortunate, as this show has had some of the best Star Wars storytelling in the last couple decades. However, they can really only keep it going so long, seeing as it’s set in the gap between Episodes II and III.

7. wordsmith says:

The Star Wars franchise is entering a new era under Disney. Hopefully that’s a good thing, and whatever new shows they come up with will be even better than what came before.

8. Azerty says:

Please tell me that means there is now a spot available for a season 3 of Young Justice.

• iMember says:

I wish!!!

• Ram510 says:

I still don’t understand why CN is getting rid of all their intelligent and well crafted programs. Young Justice and Clone Wars had great ratings. I hope Disney XD (or anybody) can save Young Justice as well

• Alan says:

the intelligent programs dont sell as many toys as the stuff that treats kids like idiots so they stop producing the clever stuff and focus on terrible stuff like johnny test instead.

9. end, the clone wars have.

10. Alan says:

dont worry its just disney taking their ball and going home, it will turn up on disney xd eventually.
    why would they delay detours? that looks fantastic and should be the shot in the arm the franchise needs in the run up to a new movie.

• John DeMayo says:

Actually, they’re not sure releasing an animated Star Wars comedy is the right lead up to the new movie. It really sounded like a terrible idea, so I hope they scrap it altogether.

• Alan says:

the preview footage they released just after it was announced was brilliant, it was a perfect send up of the tropes of the franchise; i was really looking forward to it.

11. John DeMayo says:

Really misleading headline. Most people associate “cancelled” with “production on the show has been terminated”. This isn’t the case here. “The Clone Wars” has NOT been “cancelled”… it’s just not going to air on Cartoon Network anymore. This past season has sort of been laying the groundwork for a potential “final” season… so it’s just going to move to Disney XD or somewhere else for one final run.

12. sonya says:

Trust me nothing that Disney ever gets its mits on is ever not screwed up !!!!
    I knew when that sale happened not only would the beautifully done animated series be gone. But you can bet,anyhing else that they get their fingers in will be done that recognizably cheap half a**ed way that they do everything. George Lucas WHY !!!!

13. Mikael says:

They really should have worded this better. I thought the show was actually canceled, but they seem to just mean that it’s no longer on CN. I figured it would jump to Disney XD anyway. They should just come out and say it. They have to wrap up Maul, and it would be nice to see what Ahsoka does with her life, and Ventress too. I always imagined the show ending with Palpatine orchestrating his own kidnapping, flowing right into Episode III.

14. ZeroZagnet says:

I’m expecting them to crap up the series. Or they’ll completely destroy its style of animation like they did for Spiderman, TMNT, Avengers, XMen, American Dragon, etc. Do I really need to keep going? I really wished the show had ended completely before the merger. With Disney’s track record for screwing up shows I won’t be pissed off; I’d probably be close to tears than anything else. Oh well, can’t say I didn’t see this coming.

15. Kenken28 says:

Why did they or the idiot that canceled the show.i’m just upset that they canceled it .what else are they going do take away fun
    🚶🚶

16. Heyheyhey says:

Great, we should have expected that these days it’s crappier for the most part to tv apart from this,i lone war was quite good and did not destroys star wars franchise, garbage like ultimate spiderman which should be cancelled, that ruined spiderman, that’s just me.

17. Howdy! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the good info you have got
    here on this post. I can be coming back to your blog for more soon.

18. Download FIFA 15 Complete Online game + Fracture
    FIFA 15 is definitely an upcoming sport which is to be introduced
    about Sept 26th simply by EA Video game titles. We have now managed to Download FIFA 15 from EA computers and could make a FIFA 15 Bust
    exclusively for anyone fellas.
    Should you Acquire FIFA 15 Total Online game + Fracture through the web site we
    are able to assure that you possess the very same high quality involving item since these people
    who have obtained FIFA 15. That’s since our own FIFA 15
    Crack features every one of the top features of collectors format regarding FIFA 15 unlocked previously.
    Even though all of us really like anyone that much!