Ratings: Revenge and The Mentalist Rise, Red Widow Wanes, Family Guy Tops Night

RADHA MITCHELLABC’s Revenge returned from a three-week break to draw 6.8 million total viewers while scoring a 2.0 demo rating — up 13 and 11 percent.

Leading into that, Once Upon a Time was flat at 7.5 mil/2.2 (stuck at its series low), while Red Widow closed ABC’s night with 5.3 mil/1.2, dropping 25 and 20 percent from its debut.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Post Mortem: Who Has Death Changed ‘Completely Forever’? And Lots More Burning Questions Answered

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Death Becomes Him

Over on CBS, The Amazing Race (9.2 mil/2.3) dipped two tenths and The Good Wife (9.1 mil/1.5) ticked down a tenth, but The Mentalist (9.4 mil/1.6) inched up 2 percent and a tenth.

NBC’s The Celebrity Apprentice (5 mil/1.7) dropped a few eyeballs while flat in the demo.

Family Guy (5.25 mil/2.4), up 8 percent from its last fresh outing, netted the night’s best demo rating. Among Fox’s other fare, American Dad (3.3 mil/1.6) dropped 20 and 16 percent , The Simpsons (4.9 mil/2.2) and The Cleveland Show (4.06 mil/1.8) held steady in the demo and Bob’s Burgers (3.9 mil/1.8) ticked up.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mike says:

At least ONCE is steady, but too bad, it was a great episode, hopefully it was because of DST.

• iMember says:

Both Once and Revenge had really great episode. Revenge is getting back to its original roots which is sure to make fans happy. So glad that Revenge had a rise in the ratings, especially after last night’s great episode! I think it’s good that Once stayed stead during DST, last season it had a big drop. But yes, I hope Revenge and Once can keep climbing!

2. Gillian says:

Both OUAT & Revenge were fabulous last night. Both shows seem to be getting back on track. I hate to break it to ABC, but after investing time in Sunday 10ET/9CT shows only to have them cancelled, I’m not checking out Red Widow at all. It feels like the writing was on the wall even before it premiered. Maybe they could renew Nashville and move it to the Sunday lineup? Please.

• rod says:

Its the Brothers & Sisters curse, they should have never canceled it, nothing has been a hit since it went off the air

3. Rivera says:

Once was AMAZING last night! I would very much like the Evil Queen in her true colors

Revenge was also good, hopefully it will get better and more steady on Revengenda!

4. Alichat says:

I have a feeling I will be checking out of Red Widow soon. Last night’s episode was just comical. I just can’t wrap my head around how stupid the characters are. How can you grow up in a mob family…..knowing what your family does….and honestly think that you can do one deal for the bad guy and be done??? Seriously?

5. Meghan says:

These low ratings for ONCE are making me nervous. The last episode was great. It is definitely my favourite show on TV. Hopefully its ratings go up soon or it could be in trouble.

• Shaun says:

they spent too long setting up Cora and Hook.Then before that it was horribly boring Mulan and Aurora.

• Meghan says:

That seems like the popular opinion. I’m not a fan of Hook, not even from the start. I liked Cora more in season one and last night’s episode. I want them to wrap up the Mulan and Aurora story instead of just leaving it hanging like the writers seem to be doing for every character. Honestly, August was my favourite and I just want to see him back for one episode (and it seems like I’ll be getting my wish soon). However, ONCE is introducing too many characters and not getting to the POINT. They keep fleshing out these back stories but not really connecting them well. The giant? Could have done with out him.

6. Breck says:

Sunday’s are about “The Walking Dead”

• Jason says:

Nailed it. I know lots of people who have Walking Dead parties, groups gather at somebodys house and the other shows get missed because of travel times and conversating. I bet if a truly accurate viewership number were able to be attained, showing everyone in the entire country who actually watched a TV program, Walking Dead would destroy.

7. Shaun says:

The kids on Red Widow drive me crazy.You’d think with teens she’d be able to leave the house for a few hours,lol.

8. Tran says:

I was disappointed that Jessica & John were eliminated on The Amazing Race last night because they “refuse” to use the Express Pass if it weren’t for Dave & Connor like they did last week. The important thing about the Express Pass is simple, they must use it in order to not complete a task and move on to the next one whether on a Detour or a Roadblock challenge. Hope some other team won’t happen again next season.

• Jules says:

John is an idiot. I’m glad they’re gone but the way that it happened is just comical. Seriously…what a tool. I hope she dumped his a$$ after that. He just cost her a chance at a million dollars.

• dsm says:

John seemed like the kind of guy who could simply NEVER admit that he was wrong! I felt bad for his girlfirend because she even said they screwed up! He just couldn’t accept the fact that HE lost them the race! Too bad – but made me smile getting caught with an express pass…kinda like when a player gets sent home carrying an immunity idol on Survivor (or TWO idols if you’re the idiot James) :)

• dan says:

Amazing Race was awesome last night. Great episode with good tasks, lots of confusion by racers, changes in line-up (even though Dad/Son managed to win again by squeaking by Winnie/Pam for first place at the mat), a few melt-downs and a team being eliminated with an Express Pass in their pocket. Unbelievable! This may be their Emmy submission for the year!

9. kirads09 says:

Mentalist episode last night was pretty pivotal – dark and intense. My only problem was the awkward walkie talkie forced bantor btwn Cho and Rigsby but it was only for a brief time. Glad Mentalist did well ratings wise. Renewed my theory that Jane himself could be Red John due to last night’s course of events. Other theory is that it is Stiles and his group – first Stiles then others in his organization all operating under the same MO as RJ collectively.

• I agree with your theory on RJ = Stiles, with many members of Visualize doing his work at times. Seeing as how a few times before he’s given Jane intel on the man it makes sense.

I for one like the banter between Cho and Rigsby. Although it did feel awkward last night..

• kirads09 says:

Usually the bantor between them is hilarious. But it seemed weird and misplaced in last night’s ep. But then so did Jane’s reaction to things IMO.

10. Boiler says:

Too bad ABC didn’t stick with GCB. Was a fun show to watch with great actors

11. Joe says:

Got burned by Abc not checking out any new shows right now

12. Tran says:

ABC better move Nashville from Wednesdays to Sundays at 10 p.m. after Revenge if the series starring Connie Britton and Co. gets renewed for a second season.

13. moonbunny28 says:

Fox is to blame for American Dad”s ratings leave the show at 9:30 where it belongs.

14. E. Bronwyn says:

“The Mentalist”was quite good last night. Opened in a memorable, if unsettling, way. The developments were all interesting. And, actually, I found the conversation between Cho and Rigsby a nice respite from the almost oppressive darkness of last night’s fare. Jane and Lisbon, the dynamic duo, stole the show for me last night (as they are wont to do because they gel together so well). And, the most remarkable and unforgettable scene for me last night was their conversation in the Davis house. The acting between the two was superb and and the dialogue full of depth. Tunney really has won my heart with her portrayal of Lisbon. Jane was a mixture last night of interesting conflicts. He was thoroughly understandable, but unlikeable, while defending Lorelei’s torture and murder of a woman, and though I had no love for the psychopathic, cruel and manipulative Lorelei, and though he did say he was sorry to her corpse when he found her, I hated how cold and dismissive he was about how she had it coming. It’s true she did and I’m glad he wasn’t in love with her, but still. But then, in a very real, complex and interesting way, the way he was with Lisbon, the way he cares about her, even in the midst of this drama, and what she brings out in him makes me care about him, gives his character more dimension than a simple revenge-filled, two-note character, and is a great strength for the show and the characters.
    And what was with the circus theme for the display of Lorelei?

As for the ratings, I’m surprised that they were a bit low in the demo, given all the promotion this episode got. I’m guessing that, even though it was very good, as was the one mid-season that had a lot of Lorelei and Red John goings on, people are truly tired of the endless pursuit of Red John. It’s notable, and supportive to this, that the Volker arc attained higher ratings in the demo (especially in its denouement) than either of those two did.

• I didn’t notice the circus theme of where Lorelei was found, although my main focus was her and the smiley face. However, you aren’t the first person I’ve seen point this out and as the other person added, it’s a nod to Jane’s past as a carnie.

• E. Bronwyn says:

If you can, rewatch it. You’ll see. It was good enough, to me at least, to bear a second viewing. And you are quite right, a carnival would relate to his past, but why? What message was Red John sending? I’m interested to find out.

I’m very interested in where they’re going with these characters. How they’re going to develop Jane from here (and Lisbon), and I sincerely hope, like Lorelei said, that Jane is not on the same path she’s on. I hope that, this effects the path he’s on and the way he pursues Red John, in a positive way. I did note that Jane, in spite of the darkness always involved when he pursues Red John, still showed in many ways that he cared for Lisbon. When she looked at him those two times, eyes bright with unshed tears, I couldn’t help thinking she looked beautiful and wishing I could reach through the screen and hug her. It gives me hope that, far gone as he can get, Lisbon can still reach him. She really does bring out his humanity and a good side to him. I think this show has a lot left to give to its viewers and a lot more story to tell that I’d like to see. I hope Warner’s does too.

15. ggny says:

This always happens when shows go off for their winter breaks. People find other shows and decide to watch them first since they are fresh in their mind. By end of the season both Revenge and OUAT will be back up to where they normally are

16. jeanette says:

Love red widow, it is a good show, tired or reality shows. we talk about Red Widow at work every monday morning. keep it on. also love revenge, great shows

17. Love Red Widow really hope this show stays on the air, look forward to seeing it every week!!!

18. Donna Main says:

I love Revenge and Red Widow…not one bad episode this season…yes you can think that one deal with the bad guy and you will be free…many people are like that. Marta is amazing..great characters…I love love Schiller. So exciting. Also, Revenge never disapoints…both are great entertainment.