Revenge Recap: Death Becomes Him

Get More: Recaps

HENRY CZERNY, NICK WECHSLERThis week’s Revenge taught me something huge: I don’t know Jack. But I think I’m starting to like him.

Who woulda thought that a liberal shot of rage and grief could turn the sad-sack, in-the-dark, possibly cuckolded recent widower into a compelling character not to be trifled with? (Ditching the poetry-slam-coffeehouse beard probably didn’t hurt, either.)

Elsewhere in the episode, Charlotte uncovered someone from Amanda/Emily’s past and The Initiative’s scariness quotient was  downgraded once more — it now measures somewhere between “ticked-off librarian” and “kitten with bellyache.” Let’s review the major developments of “Retribution.”

RELATED | Gabriel Mann: Revenge Finale Will Be [Spoiler]-Centric!

BLAME THE DEAD GIRL | Either Conrad and Victoria have gotten even cockier since offing Helen Crowley, or The Initiative is not exactly the Gordian knot of terror we’ve been led to believe. Elsewise, why would the Graysons brazenly demand an audience with Trask and use it to spout off about Amanda’s guilt in Helen’s death? “All your problems, wrapped up with a pretty bow,” the creepy Initiative rep comments, noting that Amanda, Nate and the computer containing all of the Grayson-damning evidence are conveniently at the bottom of the ocean. After he leaves, Conrad and Queen V note that only Jack can refute their story now. Looks like it’s time for the elder Porter brother to get a little Grayson time, love and tenderness.

FRAZZLED | As soon as they return from their adventure on the high seas, Emily is ready to kill the Graysons with her bare hands. Nolan implores her to rest a minute and take a breath. “I took a breath. And now, Amanda’s dead,” she spits back. During a quiet moment in her room, Em pulls out Amanda’s locket. The realization that her juvie pal had a picture of the two of them in there (underneath the photo of Jack and opposite the one of little Carl) makes her cry. Aw, Em.

But feeling your feelings gets you nowhere, right? (Goodness gracious, the amount of repression this lady does on a weekly basis could fill its own psychology textbook.) With Jack still unconscious after surgery, Emily searches the apartment above The Stowaway, where she runs into Trask pretending to be a law enforcement officer investigating the explosion. Then, she and Nolan come to suspect that the Graysons killed Helen and are in the process of framing Amanda for it – but no one knows where the incriminating laptop is. Next, she meets Victoria and Charlotte at the morgue, where Char IDs the corpse that’s just been fished out of the Atlantic as her “sister”.

Finally, Em winds up at the hospital upon hearing that Jack is awake. (Aiden wins a brownie point or two from me for grabbing her and forcing her to relax into his hug on her way out the door, despite the “ain’t nobody got time for that” look on her face. When a hunky Brit offers you the momentary solace of his embrace, Em, you take it.)

BRIEF GRIEF | The moment that Jack learns Amanda is gone is just about as painful as you’d imagine. Declan holds one of his hands, Emily holds the other, and as Jack starts to cry, Em is torn between witnessing his pain and averting her eyes to give him privacy. It’s very well done… for the few seconds that we get before Conrad smarms his way into the hospital room, offering condolences. All of a sudden, Jack pulls himself together and wants to talk to the Grayson patriarch. Seriously, Revenge? The passing of Jack’s dog merited a full-on Jack sobfest, but the sudden death of his wife creates a grief that’s so easily (and instantly) pushed aside? (Yes, yes, I know — we have many episodes left this season for Jack to experience the stages of complex grief created by Amanda’s offing. But I would’ve gladly sacrificed one of the snoretastic “Will Aiden join the Grayson Global board of directors?” conversations in exchange for a little more time with Jack, Dec, Em and the Terrible Truth.)

Anywho, Conrad’s there to say that he’s paying Jack’s hospital bill and he’s very sorry for his loss. Even with a few tears rolling down his cheek, Jack’s realizing that something is really not right about the whole situation. So he checks out as soon as possible and gets settled at home, where he breaks a jar of sea glass in anger… and finds a key to a marina locker hidden inside.

THE (PARTIAL) TRUTH HURTS | Let’s shorthand it: The locker contains the duffel bag of evidence – including the computer – Amanda stole from Emily’s house. Jack can’t guess the password but he can read the handwritten letters; when Emily comes over to help him get ready for the funeral, he lashes out at her for keeping secret the fact that she and Amanda knew each other from their teenage badass days.

The episode’s most elegant writing (and acting) happens as Emily says she didn’t tell him about her juvenile detention stint out of “pride, self-preservation,” the same way he didn’t want her help with the Ryan brothers. He sneeringly asks what else she didn’t tell him, and Em – for once – just tells the plain truth. “That Amanda loved you from the moment that she met you, and none of that ever stopped – not in the foster homes, not even in juvie. None of that was a lie.” It’s the most emotionally naked Emily has been with him in quite some time, and Jack can’t even see it because he’s so twisted up inside about Amanda. Quite nice choices by both Emily VanCamp and Nick Wechsler in the exchange.

ADIOS, AMANDA | Emily gives the eulogy at a graveside service attended by the Graysons, the Porters and Nolan. While they’re paying their respects, Aiden retrieves the laptop from Jack’s apartment – naturally, Jack later thinks the Graysons were behind the break-in. Looks like Porter’s about to embark on a duplicitous revegenda of his own, no?

Later, Emily tosses the computer (and all of the Grayson-damning evidence it contains) into the ocean, announcing to Aiden that the kind of justice she wants for the Graysons has nothing to do with the legal system. “So, back to basics?” he asks? “No more distractions,” she asserts. (Please, please don’t let that be just her grief talking…)

During a return to the cemetery later that night, Emily meets a visitor: Amanda’s brother Eli, whom Charlotte unearthed and beckoned with a few keywords on Google. Question: If a lackluster high school student can so easily find someone so connected to Amanda, how have so few people figured out the whole Amanda-Emily switcheroo?

CARRION MY WAYWARD SON | “Nolan Ross, life’s pawn” finds out that the finger Padma received at the end of the previous episode matches a print on her father’s immigration file. And though he’s still not sure that Mr. Lahari is even alive, he finishes the Carrion program and turns it over to Padma, telling her to do what she thinks is best – but warning her that The Initiative isn’t great about keeping up its end of the bargain. Other things I love about Nolan in this episode, in no particular order: his hair, the patterned shirt he wears to Amanda’s funeral, the fact that he counsels Em against telling Jack the whole truth right now (because Porter clearly won’t be able to process it) and his delivery of this line: “Why do I get the feeling this isn’t what Takeda had in mind when he handed you your revenge degrees?”

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? What are your first impressions of Eli? Are you already thinking that – because we never saw a body – Amanda’s got to resurface in some way in the far-off future? Did you catch that gubernatorial hopeful Conrad is now wearing a flag pin in his lapel? (Heh). What grade would you give Emily’s eulogy? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (58)

• Emily’s eulogy was great. I can’t believe Daniel didn’t even try to comfort Emily after the funeral. Dark Jack is going to be interesting. Seriously if it’s that easy to find out about Amanda and her foster brother how come no one has done the research?

Comment by Ginger – March 10, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nolan’s a computer genius, right? So why couldn’t he have written a fake Carrion program? Or one with a virus in it that SEEMS real, but doesn’t work? Come on!

Comment by uh huh – March 10, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who says he didn’t?

Comment by T. H – March 10, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Panda Pamda whatever the hell her name is….shes just an unattractive boring time filler. Kill her now. #SorryNotSorry

Comment by anil – March 10, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Its fine to attack the character, but don’t attack the actress, thats just wrong.

Comment by Tyluv3 – March 13, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • because competent people exist….

Comment by Shaun – March 10, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am hoping the same thing…..I wonder if he didn’t completely finish the Carrion program. I’m hoping he built in a failsafe…..like it doesn’t work completely, or has a virus, or crashes once it’s installed. I just don’t trust Padma at all.

Comment by Alichat – March 11, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Padma is the worst character. She can’t act…she is so boring….unbelievable, annoying. Nolan should stay gay!!!

Comment by Ysaty – March 11, 2013 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nolan has ALWAYS been Bisexual. He can’t “stay” gay. Omg

Comment by iMember – March 11, 2013 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Never felt the need to say this before but This ^! Nolan is bi not gay. He said it himself the first season. That said I wouldn’t mind seeing more of an triangle.

Comment by WingsStef – March 13, 2013 09:21 PM PDT
        • I liked her on Greek, no so much on Revenge.

Comment by Jason – March 11, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How is she boring? If you are going to say that, you need to back it up.

Comment by Tyluv3 – March 13, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited about where things are going but not loving the introduction of the brother…since it’s basically taking Amanda’s place as the “loose canon who knows Emily’s secret”…not needed. And they need to just get rid of Aidan and the Initiative and all will be right.

Comment by Josh – March 10, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Initiative story has apparently been wrapped up according to Madeline Stowe in the latest episode they recently filmed. So that means we’ll have that storyline over before the season finale!

Comment by iMember – March 11, 2013 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree i dont feel Aiden adds anything to the show but confusion for me, I cant understand what he is saying most of the time. & poor Nolan has been shoved aside. I want to see more of him & end this initiative nonsense already!

Comment by Joy – March 11, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! I don’t konw why Aiden’s there either, he better be off the show soon, so annoying. I haven’t been able to understand one thing he’s said yet this year… plus he’s boring as heck! Also, get rid of Ashley!

Comment by Jo – March 11, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought I was the ONLY one..I find myself turning the volume up to here what he is saying. Am all for brits but cmon this one is a no no. Nothing against the actor, the character just feels random and I forget sometimes that he’s there ugh. Get rid of them all but emily, and nolan!

Comment by DeeeeN – March 11, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the fact that they seem to be talking to the audience. Back to basics, no distractions, no legal punishment, just REVENGE. And a more interesting Jack.

Long live the red Sharpie!

On the Jack note, I think he’s now officially the guy I want Emily to end up with, for a while I strongly considered Aiden to be the right choice, but now? Badass Jack all the way.

Comment by Cate – March 10, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Jack is much more interesting now but I do love Aiden. He knows what Emily needs even when she is railing against everyone. When he pulled her into that hug last night it was just more proof that he knows Emily so well. She pushes everyone away. Aiden sees through her tough facade.

Comment by Gillian – March 11, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She also hasn’t spent years lying to Aidan. I mean, if Jack is all pissy that Emily didn’t tell him that she and Amanda were friends, he’s going to throw a huge hissy fit when he finds out he didn’t actually marry Amanda Clark. Don’t see that ending well.
        Maybe it’s because they kept him clueless for so long that I was like- “Oh shut up Jack. You’ve lived in blissfull ignorance while she’s lived in hell. Do not attempt to grow a brain.”
        You know he’s not smart enough to take on the Graysons. He’s gonna get in trouble and Emily is going to have to clean it up.
        As far as I’m concerned, they can kill everyone except Emily and Nolan. (Also, Gabriel Mann was incredible in those opening scenes dealing with off-the-rails Emily.)

Comment by Alice – March 11, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode, so far I am liking ‘dark’ Jack. Loved the Aiden/Emily hug.

Comment by Bella – March 10, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they kill Emily off the show ?? So upset!!

Comment by Josephine – March 10, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They didn’t!

Comment by J – March 11, 2013 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, they did. Fauxmanda is the real Emily.

Comment by Matt – March 11, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So was the guy in the end real Amanda´s (Emily Vancamp) brother, or Fauxmanda´s brother?

Comment by Emily – March 10, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He made a comment to Emily [real Amanda] in the previews about her looking good for a dead girl, and she commented to someone about worrying about him recognizing her, so I think he is Emily [real Amanda]‘s stepbrother.

Comment by Chloe – March 10, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s her foster brother….not step.

Comment by Alichat – March 11, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly the question I have! it looked like it was Emily VanCamp’s brother since it was before the name change, and she did look a little spooked at the end…but I could be wrong!

Comment by Amy – March 10, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the preview for next week, the brother says that Emily looks good for a dead girl and also, Emily wouldn’t be paranoid of him recognizing her if he wasn’t her foster brother.

Comment by T. H – March 10, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The photo was of him and young Emily. It’s Emily’s (Emily Vancamp) foster brother.

Comment by dude – March 11, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he is real Amanda’s brother. But if Charlette could find him, why wasn’t the funeral full of the strippers that Amanda invited to her baby shower? If all the teen wanted was people, the would have fit the bill.

Comment by Me – March 11, 2013 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure the Nolan-centric finale will have something to do with Padma dying and it will change him because he is in love with her, just like David’s death changed Emily.

Comment by Tina B. – March 10, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack is still boring. Why did Fauxmanda have to die? Why not Declan?

Comment by nikki – March 10, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen! Hated Fauxmanda in the beginning but quickly grew to love her. Hated Declan from the beginning and hate him still. Terrible that she had to die. :(

Comment by Arie – March 10, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this show in season 1. it was appointment TV. Then, season 2 started to lose it but they got me back when Victoria was re-established as Queen B villainess (‘bye Helen!)

But tonight they lost me again. Emily has all the evidence in the world to make the Graysons pay for her father’s imprisonment and death. And she THROWS IT INTO THE OCEAN???

W

T

F????

No. Just No.

Comment by Michael – March 10, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because that evidence was a distraction to her. All it would have done was put them in jail. She wants more than that. She wants what she originally came for. She’s out for blood!

Comment by iMember – March 11, 2013 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure Nolan probably has a backup of the files. He’s sneaky like that. :)

Comment by Montie – March 11, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • haha, I was thinking that Nolan is so going to fish that thing outa the ocean and getting working again just like new

Comment by Terry – March 12, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So, you’re saying it went from appointment TV to DISappointment TV? ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – March 12, 2013 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack was great in this episode but I still wish he had died instead of Fauxmanda.

They could have shoved Daniel, Aiden, Marco, Declan and the other Ryan Brother in there too.

… I just realized I pretty much hate all the guys on Revenge, lol.

Comment by kavyn – March 11, 2013 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Knowing Emily and Nolan, there are backups to the evidence for the computer she tossed in the sea

Comment by Lilly – March 11, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I am hoping because I don’t fully get why she tossed it into the ocean. I understand that the Greysons are the ones who framed her father, so I have no issue with her simplifying her revenge goals. But that evidence was not just about the Initiative. Why not keep that information for future revengendas?

Comment by Alichat – March 11, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Padma should have died.

Comment by Ysaty – March 11, 2013 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first three episodes of season 2 were the worst of the series(episode 2 was my least favorite). As this season progressed it got better and better and the last three episodes of season 2 have been as good as season 1, episode 13 was really good and set everything up, episode 14 for me was probably the best episode that Revenge has ever delivered. Episode 15 was stellar as well!!!! Revenge is definitely on a row.

Comment by Gio86 – March 11, 2013 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic, fantastic episode!!! Very much looking forward to next week’s.

Comment by iMember – March 11, 2013 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Emily is going to find away to rein in Jack’s need for revenge and use it to benefit the Revengenda. Then they can bond over bringing down the Greysons and that will be the catalyst of them getting together for realsies.

Comment by Steph – March 11, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, alert everyone that revenge is officially back on track! Nick wechsler gave a phenomenal performance

Did everyone notice that HELEN HUNT directed the ep?

Comment by James – March 11, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really emotional episode. I found myself on the verge of tears most of the time. Emily VanCamp, Nick Wechsler and Gabriel Mann totally ROCKED IT, they were able to make you feel their characters’ pain. And finally Revenge is back on track. This second half of the season is gonna be SO GOOD.

Comment by Chiara (@chiaralways) – March 11, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so confused — I thought that Fauxmanda had taken Emily’s computer and stashed it on the boat, which is now at the bottom of the ocean. If not, whose computer was it that went into ole’ briney?

Comment by Trisa – March 11, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Declan’s. He’d been living on the boat and left his computer behind. Amanda used it as a decoy to try and buy her and Jack some time.

Comment by Alice – March 11, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayayayay! Ratings are going back UP! Hope it continues this upward trend, especially after last night’s great episode.

Comment by iMember – March 11, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amanda is not resurfacing. She died at the end of the episode before the break, when Emily was holding her in the little life raft. It was incredibly clear that she died.

Comment by the girl – March 11, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Helen Hunt should not have directed the March 10, 2013 episode. Directing Grade = B minus

Comment by Anti-Lib – March 11, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do you say that? What was the problem. I thought she did fine.

Comment by TV Gord – March 12, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad they are wrapping up the Initiative storyline; from the very beginning I’ve had no idea what it was even about. Maybe it was just so boring that I didn’t pay attention to what it what about, but…still. Don’t get me wrong, I love Revenge…just everything this season has seemed so disjointed. Characters haven’t really been interacting with each other, and we were introduced to new people that didn’t really add much depth or meaning to the plot or didn’t propel it to a better place. Wasn’t really surprised much by anything that happened in this episode. I guess it was more about the performances, and Nick Wechsler did an amazing job (I was starting to tear up a bit when both he and Emily’s grief). Interested to see where this whole foster brother storyline leads, moreso because I really want someome else to share in Emily’s secret.

Comment by cowcowmeows – March 12, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else use close-caption? What was the alias Trask used when he saw Emily for the first time? The CC said it was Detective Fletch. Pretty funny.

Comment by Larry – March 13, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone else notice the massive plot hole in this episode.. why is no one (aka Declan, Charlotte, the authorities) wondering/asking or investigating how jack ended up at the hospital??? (As Emily & Nolan mentioned that they had to wait for the hospital to notify them of Jack otherwise they would know they rescued him)

A huge plot mistake if this is not explained!!

( Viewer from Ireland)

Comment by Debbie – April 10, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spoilers welcomed at this point..

Comment by Debbie – April 10, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post