True Blood Shake-Up: New Showrunner Out

truebloodTrue Blood is getting a new boss.

Mark Hudis, who took over for Alan Ball as showrunner for the upcoming sixth season, has been replaced by writer/co-executive producer Brian Buckner, per The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | True Blood Scoop: Friday Night Lights, 90210 Alums Join HBO Hit’s Season 6 Cast

Hudis is stepping down to “to focus on development under his overall deal with the network,” a spokesperson for HBO told the site.

Buckner, who has been with the series since the start, will take the reigns on the sixth season, which is currently in production.

Hudis joined the HBO series in Season 4 as a co-executive producer. He was promoted to showrunner after Ball announced his plans to leave the vamp drama after Season 5 in order to focus his attention on his Cinemax original series Banshee, which was renewed in January.

1. Elly says:

Please just make it better than last season.

2. dude says:

i think i will be ditching true blood and watching dexter instead last season was bad

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

True Blood hasn’t been good in a long time. It was fun while it lasted but it’s time to put the final nail in the coffin, wrap it in silver chains, and hope it never escapes again.

3. ashley says:

you guys! Bucky!!!

4. Rrrrrr says:

Hands down the worst writer on the True Blood staff. I think this may be the final nail in the True Blood coffin for me.

5. dude says:

i liked parts of last season but with alan gone and the finale that i freaking hated i will watch this season later on

6. Darth Pablo says:

If it gets us more Jessica, than I’m ok with it

7. WTactualF says:

No doubt the show has gone downhill. I had hopes that the writers, directors and producers would actually listen to fans and critics, but alas Billith happened…

I’ve not been impressed with the casting for this season so yeah, I’ll watch it if I have nothing better to do, but I’m pretty much over True Blood.

8. Claire says:

I always wondered why they put someone in charge who’d been involved with the show such a short time. Promoting from within ….one of the early writers seems like a better idea. Hopefully the show will get better as the season goes on. I’m lowering my expectations accordingly. And they were already pretty low after last season.

9. S.K. says:

Apparently i’m the only person who enjoyed Season 5 as a whole. Loved the fact that Terry got a bit of a story that would help him get closure with some of his PTSD.

10. jonathon says:

i enjoyed every season, some viewers are more picky than others. can’t wait till season 6!

• Mel says:

jonathon, you and me both! I am excited for season 6 too! Just wish they’d announce a start date. I would like for them to focus more on Bon Temp this season. I really missed that town!

• Heather Sherman says:

I am shocked whenever I read a negative comment re: True Blood. I really think each season is better than the last. Well except I would rather Sookie & Eric have been together at least a little longer than they were. I didn’t like they decided that she be with neither him or Bill but I have not read the books (which the show is based on some of the time I’ve heard) so I am sure that is why she has moved on from them. Last season was my favorite, especially the last 5 minutes. What did people expect, when I read about the show being campy or unrealistic this season I laugh because really?? this is a show about vampires, werwolves, witches & fairy’s & NOW you think it’s unrealistic. I guess I am just a REAL True Blood fan & others get bored of shows easily or just have opinions I don’t get.

• sonya says:

So true. I am so tired of the complaining. If you don’t like the show then don’t watch it and leave those of us who actually enjoy it. Like you I loved the last 5 minutes it was great !!! So really if all any of you can do is complain go find reruns of desperate housewives and be miserable alone. I for one can’t wait to the new season.

11. Liz says:

Wow… didn’t expect that! But Brian Buckner has been there since season 1, and that’s a very good thing. And he’s wriiten some good episodes as well, so I’ll keep hoping for good things.

12. dude says:

trust me it takes alot for me to tune out Terry was good as well and love some Jessica but season 6 i have serious doubts

13. Whatever says:

Last season was sad.
    The smoke monster ,ifrit or whatever was just a waste of a storyline for Terry & Arlene.
    They completely under utilized Christpher Meloni a great actor and then killed him off within the first few episodes.
    I love TB but they really need a great season this year.
    Hopefully with the AB departure and a new showrunner it will happen.

14. sonya says:

Wow you guys if you hate the show so much why watch ? Tell ya like I was taught if you got nothing nice to say..say nothing at all. In the mean time those of us who actually like the show will continue to watch and enjoy.

15. Amanda says:

I have to agree with others here, Season 5 was a DISAPPOINTMENT. I felt like the show under-utilized its wonderful core characters or put them in ridiculous situations (read: Lafayette and Sookie) and spent way too much time on Salome and Nora (new characters who just didn’t grab me). I also enjoy the interplay with Bill-Sookie-Eric and that was completely absent until the last scene. Also felt like they wasted Meloni and the guy who plays Steve Newlin, they needed more scenes. Oh well, here’s hoping Season 6 gets the show back on track.

16. Danielle H. says:

I desperately miss how this show started and used to be. I keep watching, hoping it will get better…but it never does. I think I have come to the point where I’m not going to spend the 60$ for the few mths of HBO. It’s not worth it anymore… I’ll just wait an extra yr and catch it on DVD I guess.

17. Lee says:

Agree! Season 5 was EMBARRASSING. It was so silly. Seasons 1 & 2 were the strongest and the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 was SO great, I thought season 2 would be the BEST season. Of course, that didn’t happen. It was kind of a mess. Really liked season 4 at the start of the season but by the end it got lame. And season 5 was SO bad. I’m hoping it gets better but I don’t have high hopes.

18. katrina says:

Love TRUE BLOOD!! season 5 was not “the best” but it was still good and had me coming back every week for more. Cant wait until June!! I pray that this guy does a great job and we get a few more seasons to watch! :)

19. Jared says:

I’m a huge True Blood fan but season 5 was terrible, ridiculous, over-the-top and all the characters were acting, well, out of character. Let’s hope the new guy can fix it or my favourite show will be a flop!

20. Kim says:

The only season I loved of this show were 1 and 4. 2 was okay. 3 and 5 were just trully painful to watch, and I am still not sure why I kept doing it. Maybe it was like watching a train wreck, I knew I should look away but………………

21. Mikael says:

If Dexter can recover from a sharp decline in quality, I have faith that TB can do it too. I feel like everyone involved with the show should go back and watch Season 1 again. It’s just gotten TOO campy. A little camp is good, too much ruins it. And they’ve added too many main characters. I know they’ve gone way off the path of the books, but it would be neat to see them try to work in more of the story. The plot with the vampire summit would be cool to see.

22. Penny says:

I am a HUGE fan of True Blood.. Read all the books.. Hell thats the whole reason for the show.. Then they started going downhill…. If Billith doesnt get with the program then they will loose the remaining audiance!!

23. Jess says:

True Blood is an HBO staple, and I’ll watch regardless of my feelings about certain conclusions…that said, seasons 1 and 3 are my favorite. While the show rightly takes creative deviations from the books, I think they’ve strayed too far. How Bill progressed from Sookie’s first love (basically, a vampire “techie”) in the books to divinity, I’ll never know. Even for fantasy, it’s far-fetched.