Ratings: Glee Surges, Community Rises, Two and a Half Men Tops Idol for First Time

Ratings: Community RisesFox’s Glee enjoyed a nice bump coming out of Thursday’s supersized American Idol (and facing all-repeat broadcast competition come 10 pm).

The series’ 500th musical performance was watched by 7.05 million total viewers, while scoring a 2.5 demo rating — up 37 and 47 percent from its last fresh outing.

RELATED | Glee Recap: All the Right Movies

Idol itself drew 12.9 mil and a 3.5, adding a handful of eyeballs and dipping 8 percent in the demo week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Top 20 Results Recap: It’s the Finals Countdown

NBC’s plucky Community was the night’s only other gainer, rising 19 and 25 percent to 3.36 mi/1.5.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Elsewhere:

* On CBS, Big Bang Theory (17.4 mil/5.4) drew Thursday’s biggest audience and demo number, while ticking down two tenths; Two and a Half Men (13.6 mil/3.9) was flat but bested Idol in their shared half-hour for the first time ever; and Person of Interest (14.4 mil/2.8) dipped a tenth, tying a season low.

RELATED | Person of Interest Favorite Joins The CW’s 100 Pilot

* NBC’s 1600 Penn matched last week’s series lows of 2.2 mil/0.9.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. susie says:

Hey Matt, how’d the ratings do for BATB even tho it was a rerun?

2. Chris says:

Well, to be fair Idol ran over into Glee’s timeslot so Glee will probably adjust down a bit.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s gonna adjust down eight tenths? An increase is an increase.

• jericho says:

An increase is an increase all right… but can Fox do something to not piss off their viewers and stop Idol from overrunning. I remember this was a huge problem a few years ago when it would overrun into various shows (including Fringe) and it seemed to hurt those shows in the long run.

3. April says:

BaTB got .3 in the demo. Pretty low but it was a rerun.

4. James says:

Surprised to see Community rise a bit. Still a low number but at least it went up.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I thought it was perhaps the best episode of the season so far. And last week BIG BANG was a rerun.

• Aleksa says:

I agree, it was a great episode. I was happy they managed not to go into “very special episode” territory.

• David4 says:

Really? I thought it was incredibly weak episode and one of the worst I remember of the show. There was not a single laugh moment in the episode.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, it wasn’t (as the kids say) LOLLMAOTRDMFPIMP, but there was some very nice character work (finally) done with Jeff Winger.

• Mike says:

Community season 4 has been very hit or miss, and is always divided the fanbase some love it some hate it, I enjoyed this one, but it is still no match for season 2.

• Alan says:

not every episode of a comedy needs to be laugh a minute, occasionally we need an episode which will further the development of a character or else we dont care about them. no it wasnt hilarious but it was brilliant and definitely the best episode of the season.

• Babybop says:

I really liked the episode of Community! I thought it was very Thanksgiving-y, and the first time in a couple seasons I didn’t feel like they were all terrible people. Ha ha.

5. Kristina says:

Yay for Community’s numbers going up!

6. Tamera says:

Wow, it amazes me how well CBS is doing these days. Even Person of Interest is much higher than any show on NBC or possibly even ABC.

• Nick says:

Pretty sure Greys handily beats POI each week, as does Scandal when it comes to Elementary… So with Greys on repeat this week, it’s actually a bad sign that POI still dropped

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

GREY’S has only beaten POI in the demo 1 out of their last 4 face-offs (and never in Total Viewers).

• Luke says:

Out of those last four outings, they tied once in the 18-49 demo. On February 7, they both scored a 3.1.in the final numbers. Source – TV By the Numbers.

• Luke says:

While it may not make your statement untrue, it suffers from omission of a detail. It infers that POI beat Greys three out of the four last outings in the demo, when it was only two times.

• Bucket of Truth says:

Daaaaamn, you just got ‘Viched!

• Caitlin says:

im not sure about ratings but im pretty sure POI has at least a few more million viewers than GA every week and Im sure its the same with Elementary having more viewers than Scandal. Again, I’m not sure of the ratings.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

SCANDAL has beaten ELEMENTARY in the demo 4 out of their last 4 face-offs, tho ELEMENTARY always dominates in Total Viewers.

• Caitlin says:

so i guess the question is what matters more, the demo or total viewers? but thats probably a bigger discussion than what the comment section is meant for

• Ratingsfaery says:

POI has been falling constantly in demo since it reached 3.4 rating in January. Every weak a drop of 0.1 in demo. Reaching a season low at 2.8 today. And if it follows the same pattern it did last year it will keep falling. Finale got a 2.5 demo. (big factors for ratings decrease: spring time, and sports events).

While more viewers is nice for stats it doesn’t bring the big cash for the networks from the advertisers. That is why 18-49 is important and also the 18-34 demo (that demographic can still be persuaded by commercials since they aren’t set in their ways, while most over 50 are. The advertisers can reach the over 50 easier since they are suppose to watch more TV as the younger generations). And the last one is a big problem for POI, since it only gets a 1.6 rating in that demo.

Examples of how viewers alone don’t say the whole picture and where demo is the decisive factor would be New Girl and Harry’s Law. New Girl gets a 2.2 – 2.5 demo rating with around 4-5 mil viewers. Harry’s Law was averaging a 1.0 with 9- 10 mil viewers and therefore canceled.

And there is a theory on Community’s ratings. James Brolin who appeared on both Castle and Community is being held responsible for the increase of ratings for both Castle and Community. :)

7. Maria says:

Funny, most shows would be thrilled with numbers that, for POI, are a season low.

8. JamandaFan says:

Yay! Community! Renew it please NBC!!!

9. Para says:

I hope Community and Glee get renewed!! Glee get moving to NYC!

10. Kresh says:

Loved the refrence about prison break the tv show on Community! :D

11. Amanda says:

Glee didn’t have some of it’s competition. That’s always when it “surges”. It’s well played on Fox’s part for a ratings boost.

12. I wonder if this 9:30 BS is FOX gearing up towards expanding at least some of its schedule with a third hour. I’m on board with that as long as it isn’t mostly reality competition filler.

13. Sarabi says:

In my opinion, the folks at Community are overdoing it. Britta is becoming unbearable (with or wtihout Troy), and while the Dean was funny before, he’s not anymore. Now he’s just plain creepy! I think the showrunners try to copy previous gimmicks, instead of making their own. Not to mention that hardly any scenes revolve around college. That was the best part!

I believe that this show can go on sans Dan Harmon, but the current showrunners have to play the field a little more. Out of the five episodes aired, I only liked the second and the third. I hope things will get in order as the season progresses.

14. Britta Unfiltered says:

I really should stop taking ambien before watching Community when I get home at nights. Going back and seeing the episode a second time, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was. It was all right. I still think they should have pushed things to the limits with meeting Jeff’s dad, but I was noticing there was a slight parallel between him and Pierce, which I found interesting. And I do wish they had gone a different direction with Jeff’s brother. I would have liked to have seen him be a vainer, smarmier version of Jeff, or been someone that could out-Jeff Jeff.