American Idol: What Should the Top 10 Sing for 'Music of the Idols' Week?

idol-season-12-top-10Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe has heard our pleas for spankin’ new theme weeks on American Idol, but when the Top 10 take the stage Wednesday night (8/7 c, on Fox) the results could be beautiful or they could be disastrous.

You see, “Music of the American Idols” is a two-pronged beast, encompassing the songs previous Idol winners covered during their respective seasons, and also the songs that these champs have released in their post-show careers.

The key for the Season 12 Top 10 will be choosing songs that fit their voices — but not trying to recreate iconic Idol moments that they’ll never be able to match. In other words, Fantasia’s “Summertime,” Kris Allen’s “Heartless,” David Cook’s “The World I Know” and Carrie Underwood’s “Alone” (among others) should all be strictly verboten. Lesser-known covers or radio hits that the contestants can reinvent? That’s where it’s at!

With that in mind, here are my picks for what the Top 10 should tackle on Wednesday. Peruse the list, then hit the comments with your own suggestions!

Candice Glover: Carrie Underwood’s “Two Black Cadillacs” (I stole this idea from Twitter follower @alxander_tango) or The Rolling Stones’ “Beast of Burden” (covered by Lee DeWyze in S9…and done brilliantly by Bette Midler in 1983)

Kree Harrison: Kris Allen’s “I Need to Know” or Johnny Lang’s “Still Rainin'” (covered by Phillip Phillips in S11)

Amber Holcomb: Kelly Clarkson’s “I Do Not Hook Up” or Rose Royce’s “Wishing on a Star” (covered by Jordin Sparks in S6)

Janelle Arthur: Jordin Sparks’ “Tattoo” (acoustic version) or a stripped-down countrified twist on Donna Summer’s “She Works Hard for the Money” (covered by Kris Allen in S8)

Angie Miller: David Cook’s “Fade Into Me” or One Republic’s “Apologize” (covered by Kris Allen in S8)

Devin Velez: Kelly Clarkson’s “The Trouble With Love Is” or U2’s “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” (covered by David Cook in S7)

Burnell Taylor: Fantasia’s “Bittersweet” or Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason” (covered by Jordin Sparks in S6)

Lazaro Arbos: Kelly Clarkson’s “Beautiful Disaster” or Roy Orbison’s “Crying” (covered by Carrie Underwood in S4)

Curtis Finch Jr.: Jordin Sparks’ “Battlefield” or Tina Turner’s “A Fool in Love” (covered by Fantasia in S3)

Paul Jolley: Carrie Underwood’s “Undo It” or Air Supply’s “Making Love Out of Nothing at All” (covered by Carrie Underwood in S4)

Any of my picks sound good to you? Any of ‘em miss the mark? Let me know down in the comments, and do share the results of your own brainstorms, too!

1. Lauren says:

Kree- Treat Her Like A Lady (Lee), Livin on a Prayer (Jordin), Falling Slowly (Kris)
    Candice- Respect (Kelly), Miss Independent (Kelly), Fighter (Jordin), It’s Raining Men (Kelly)
    Amber- I Surrender (Kelly), Chain of Fools (Fantasia), Signed Sealed Delivered (Ruben/Fantasia)
    Janelle- You’re Still The One (Lee), Come Together (Kris)
    Angela- Come Back to Me (Cook), Breakaway (Kelly), Because of You (Kelly)
    Burnell- To Make You Feel My Love (Kris), In The Ghetto (Taylor)
    Devin- Walk On By (Kelly), You’re All I Need (Kelly), Trouble (Taylor), Living for the City (Taylor)
    Curtis- Don’t care
    Lazaro- Stand By Me (Phillip), Hello (Cook)
    Paul- Since U Been Gone (Kelly)

• Eli says:

Just the thought of Kree singing Falling Slowly gives me goosebumps…

• sg54 says:

These are really good, but I think the contestants execute the songs might be more important than song choice this week. For example, some people don’t like Angela, and I think I’ve found out why. Her voice is so charming, and picks the perfect songs to show it off, but she’s always smiling. Even in a song that requires more emotion, she’ll sneak in these pageanty smiles that she needs to get rid of. She needs to focus less on her connection to the audience and more on her own connection to the song. I would talk about constaint, but i know she sings loud because of hearing problem. And without looking at curtis, his voice is absolutely amazing. but everyone, including myself, hates him for his obvious smug facial expressions, and he needs to get rid of them. He’s overdoing it. only thing about amber is that she needs to do what kieth said, and restrain the vibrato sometimes. not all the time though, because her vibrato is sooooo beautiful. everyone is fine, as far as im concerned.

• HTGRWHOM says:

I think people need to get over all the smug facial expressions nonsense. It smells of pettiness and jealously and it’s a dangerous game to read too much into little clips on TV shows. Every year someone gets trashed down for such ridiculous reasons. To this day 25% of the Idol Audience believes all sorts of nonsense about Haley. If you don’t like how Curtis sings fine, but enough with all the other nonsense. Considering the other guys I don’t see what there is to complain about his singing, not that I think he sings as well as they are building him up (they even praised his falsetto the other night, which seemed horrendous to me, the part I caught of it) but how can he be on so many should not have even made the top five when you look at all the other top 10 guys? Sounds like it’s all based on trying to read facial expressions and putting thoughts into his head and that the ladies are PO that he is not a total hunk.

• Temperence says:

Nah, we’ve seen him be vicious, petty, and aggressive and then plaster over that nauseatingly fake, smug smile. I think he’s got more than one Jeckyll and Hyde duality going on. And let’s be honest, he’s a producer’s horror story and has little chance of doing what the want: put out a quick, high-selling album. Personally, I can’t stand the guy.

• HTGRWHOM says:

I haven’t seen all that much of the guys this season so MAYBE you are right, but I still think it’s a dangerous game to judge by what you see on Idol. And even if he is like that, I prefer to focus on the singing anyway.

• HTGRWHOM says:

(although I can understand how if someone is truly acting jerky non-stop in the most blatant ways it can be a little hard to separate from it, from what relatively little I’ve seen of him I didn’t see anythign I’d want to write him off for, especially considering it’s reality tv)

• Johnny says:

i believe the issue wit Curtis is mostly his attitude. I thibk it all began with the footage from Hollywood week when he chose to tell to the camera how he basicly felt about his fellow teammate who i think was sick. He didn’t care at all for the guy which is fine but just the way he handled it and spoke about wanting to help the guy pack his bags if he couldn’t handle it or whatever just was a bit ugly to say the least. Specially from someone seeming to present this whole holy gospel deal in singing.

• Wendy says:

So the posters are “petty and jealous” of Curtis? Jealous of what? If you are a fan of the show, did you not see the audition weeks when Curtis really showed his true personality – the petty and jealous one? By now he has likely heard the complaints about him, so the phony smile and the “bless you for thats” are what we are getting. I was really surprised he got the votes to get in the top ten. I even think his vocals have been inconsistent. So I’m hoping for his early exit.

• HTGRWHOM says:

I didn’t listen to the guys top 10 night though so I will admit perhaps he turned into a total wreck that night though but it still seems hard to believe that could sink his body of work down to 6th or lower considering this particular set of competition.

2. Patrick says:

Kree should totally do A Broken Wing

3. Taithleach says:

I’m really hoping Kree sings Crying by Roy Orbison

• The Beach says:

Yowza…perfect. Kree has a bit of a k.d. lang (who killed that song!) tone of voice. Plus, it’s familiar and dramatic…a sure-fire vote getter for Kree.

4. Karen says:

Kree – Lie , David Cook

5. Or if any one of them can sing/cover some not-really-known-to-the-general-public songs of David Cook [i.e., Right Here With You, Take Me As I am, Avalanche, Paper Heart] nicely, I can give them my vote…

• The Beach says:

As pleasant as it might be to hear them tackle some obscure song choices, I’m not sure it would be the smartest move at this stage of the game. I don’t mean they should do the standard over-done AI staples but a song that is recognizable to the viewers is much more likely to garner them votes than one they have never heard.

• Johnny says:

Well just seeing them get away with doing these original song selections and pass, maybe this year wouldn’t be that bad to do more obscure songs long as they could sell it to the viewers as if it were their own. hmmm?

6. RebbChedd says:

Make it “No Boundaries Night. Everyone has to sing No Boundaries on Wednesday night. They can make it pop, soul, funk, singer/songwriter, calypso or speedbass, but It has to be distinctly No Boundaries.

They’ve forced crappy contestants on us, might as well force that horrible song on them.

7. RyanSeacrestIsMyHomeboy says:

What about the hit Lee Dewyze song….umm…..erm….aaaaah. Hmm. Well there are always all those smash Taylor Hicks tunes! *crickets* Dammit they should just call it the Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood week let’s be real.

• JulieTaylorSays says:

which is why I think it’s including songs that they covered on the show too. If it were just post show songs, we’d be in for 5 Kelly songs, 3 Carrie songs, and 2 Jordin songs or straight 5 and 5.

But each winner performs what 15 songs per season? Times 11, that’s well over 100 songs to choose from. So really, we think we’re going to get new songs….. but we’re not. It’s a crappy theme disguised as a great theme. lol

• teatime says:

I can’t imagine any of them tackling Light On (David Cook). Still, someone could have a moment with that song if they could pull it off. It has a huge range and emotion.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Actually, I COULD see Burnell taking a swing at Fantasia’s ‘Bittersweet’ per Slezak’s suggestion. He’s sung Fantasia before, and that one would be a good fit for him.
        And you know SOMEONE is going to sing ‘Home.’

8. Sam says:

No one should cover “The Trouble With Love Is.” It’s a pretty bland song as it is, but to have someone other than Kelly sing it? Come on.
    Also, “Apologize” as sung by Angie Miller would be another snoozer.

9. Jai says:

I’d love to hear Candice do First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (David Cook) – she has a powerful voice and I really think she could connect to audience with this song. Or I’m just being selfish – I’d like to hear her sing it for my own enjoyment.

• ado4586 says:

Love that song!!!! I could also see Burnell doing “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” as well. Especially with his unique phrasing,

10. Idolbeat says:

Angie or Kree: Because of You.
    Curtis: Jesus Take the Wheel

11. I thought Angie would be great on I Need To Know while playing the piano,
    Yes, someone needs to cover Beautiful Disaster and Fade Into Me! I thought Candice would be great on Ain’t No Sunshine (Kris cover) and Kree should sing To Make You Feel My Love.

12. Gailer says:

I hope Janelle doesn’t do that Carrie Underwood Cheat song. :)
    I like the theme however.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Has anyone ever actually done that song on Idol? I think I remember Lauren Alaina singing it, but I don’t think it was in a voting round?
      New idea: whoever sings Before He Cheats next week, do it while walking around the stage with an actual baseball bat. Props are fun, people!

13. Johnny says:

I don’t like MOST of the picks named. Just my opinion I am tired of such non-entertaining songs really. But then they get a theme like this and its a crapshoot. Anyhoo, I think Candice should just make her choices more current as to not fall into the “old-fashioned lady” trap and get ousted early like old faves latoya london and melinda doolittle. So maybe anything Jordan sparks. I assume Burnell will do Fantasia and Jolly will do Carrie and Curtis will do Ruben. Also Angie will do Carrie. Amber do Fantasia

• teatime says:

I would not hold my breath waiting for Candice to do anything current.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Are we forgetting how she slayed the currently-on-the-radio ‘This Girl Is On Fire’ during the Hollywood rounds? And it’s not like John Legend’s ‘Ordinary People’ is ancient, like 2005 or something. Candice is perfectly capable of doing current hits

• HTGRWHOM says:

Wasn’t she in the Hit ‘Em Up Style group too?
          (Ordinary People sounds ancient to me though ;) )

• teatime says:

You’re right! Candice actually has already done a couple current songs. I stand corrected. Now I’m feeling a little more hopeful about what else she might do.

• Johnny says:

I totally believe she’s capable of doing current hits. Yes, I remember she did great on the A.Keys song. However, I just don’t want to see her leaving early like other great blk females past that i mentioned earlier due to no matter what song they do they just come across as old fashioned in how they look and how they approach the song material. r&b seems to be a tough genre for idol to accept and market for some reason. the more pop and fun she can come across as i think will be the way she can win.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I think part of the problem is that R&B sounds, by it’s nature, sort of old-fashioned. The “modern” version of R&B is probably hip-hop, and that isn’t done on Idol.
            That said, has anyone seen Candice’s completely awesome R&B-icized version of ‘Call Me Maybe’ on YouTube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrmujH0vEU She could probably have a moment with that.

• Johnny says:

I’m not going to lie, I’m allergic to “Call me maybe” so I’m staying far away from THAT. LOL Modern R&B does not always have to be hip-hop it can also be on the more fun crossover side of being more pop commercial type of stuff. Such as “Love on top” by Beyonce or “Scream” by Usher or “Let me love you” by Ne-Yo. So depending on the themes, there could be much more fun r&b styling spins she can put on even some of the old popular songs instead of singing them the same old way or just making acoustic version.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

It’s a small miracle that no one has performed ‘Love on Top’ on this show yet. It’s such a show-boating kind of song; the audience would eat it up.
            You know you’re curious about how Candice would give an R&B spin to ‘Call Me Maybe.’ Click on the link. Give in.

• Johnny says:

It would be so great to see one of the girls (not Jolley or any of the other guy/girls LOL) get up there and slaughter Love on Top in an awesome way and put out all the energy and vocal ability. I think doing that would set any girl up for the win. From that point on she could sing whatever she wanted and still get the votes. However, that’s not s song you can just sum up in 90 seconds on idol I don’t think. Need at least 2 or 3 minutes. I’m scared of Call me maybe in ANY style LOL

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Oh, I dunno. I think Love On Top is exactly the kind of song that could be effectively condensed to 90 seconds. It’s all about that final climbing series of key changes. As long as they get that part right, they’ll have the judges singing their praises.

14. yeah says:

that’s already kinda pathetic that “Music of the Idols” week is including the covers winners did on the show. you want music of the idols, you go all the way and make it Idols’ own songs only. Sure then they’d have to include not only winners but all the alums otherwise they’d end with only Kelly’s and Carrie’s hits, but it would be way more interesting.

15. john t. says:

Candice Glover: A House is Not a Home – Ruben
    Kree Harrison: All I Ever Wanted – Kelly
    Amber Holcomb: Could’ve Been – Carrie
    Janelle Arthur: You’re Still the One – Lee
    Angie Miller: The World I Know – David
    Devin Velez: Superstitious – Phillip
    Burnell Taylor: Living for the City – Taylor
    Lazaro Arbos: Flying Without Wings – Ruben
    Curtis Finch Jr.: Something About the Way You Look Tonight – Fantasia
    Paul Jolley: The Truth – Kris Allen

• WendyT says:

Oh! And I remember the sublime version of “A House is Not a Home” by Tamyra Gray in Season 1. :-)

• xx says:

would love if Kree covered All I Ever Wanted!

• ezequiel malta says:

Angie- brakeaway- kelly
      Candice- Respect- Kelly
      Kree- independence day- carrie
      Amber-Spotlight- Jennifer
      Janelle- A Broken Wing- jordin
      Curtis- I Believe- Fantasia
      Burnell- Ain too proud to beg- Joshua
      Devin- superstitious- phillip
      Lazaro- imagine- david
      Paul- Wind beneath my wings – Skylar

• MC says:

I like your list the best. Good, realistic choices for all ten…….I hope Slezak isn’t prescient when suggesting that Janelle should sing about a prostitute. Btw, check on an old Slezak favorite on YouTube by the name of Katie Stevens. She sounds great these days.

16. Sonia says:

They should try to do songs that have never been done on Idol AT ALL,! Goodness there are enough good songs.

17. Johnny says:

In continuation, Devin will do any song he can also change into Spanish and get away with it. Lazaro, I don’t know what poor Lazaro will do because he seems so limited, maybe something Kris Allen or LeeDewyze covered during their time. Kree, she will probably do something Kelly did. I don’t think it matters going on specific song because pretty much if its cover songs a lot of them were repeated from season to season by someone or another and is quite played out. Just ENTERTAIN, not put us to sleep!

• The Beach says:

I think Nicki was so wrong to tell Devin the other night to make sure he keeps singing in Spanish. It will be seen as a gimmick and be the death knoll for the kid. I thought he did great up-tempo Thursday night.

• Johnny says:

I really loved when Devin first did spanish. I had been waiting for someone to dare to do it on the show and do it very well. I was more glad that the judges praised him for it. But now for the reality, those type of singers of different languages just never win. I think people eventually people will start to think “This isn’t Spanish/Latin Idol!” Its quite unfortunate though but I think its true. I fear them pumping him up will make him do an entire song in Spanish and he will get voted off that week.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Yeah it’s gonna seem like a gimmick and backfire if he does it too much and for no particular reason. It’s not like he has a large Spanish language fanbase or huge repertoire of Spanish language songs he has written or began as a pure Spanish language artist. Do they encourage people to sing in Swedish or Estonian or whatnot in mixins for no particular reason? Shakira singing a number of Spanish language songs when giving a concert in the US that is based primarily on an English language album still makes sense and works really well but I don’t see why he needs to start singing half of each song in Spanish, seems like a weird gimmick and most of the audition won’t be able to understand half of what he sings.

• Johnny says:

I agree, if he does that every week or every other week it will lose people. And, just because he can speak and sing spanish doesn’t mean all the latino people will vote for him, specially if he comes across as kinda gay (just saying i know a lot of Latinos who even if they are gay they will not support it openly because of their culture). If the theme week is spanish related or has a Latin artist mentor, THEN he should do it again. OR if by some miracle he makes the shows finale..

18. Stacy says:

I just hope at least a few of them actually pick interesting, lesser known tracks from winners’ albums. I get so excited about good theme weeks and then I often end up disappointed. So much good, fresh material to choose from. Don’t let me down, kids!

19. Johnny says:

Lastly, I just wanna speak on how seems this year all the judges want to keep harping on “making a connection” but for whatever crazy reason, this is seeming to translate into more singers trying to sing more ballads. I thought it was interesting when they did the victory songs the songs became a bit more upbeat or alive than the dead songs we seem to get if they are being judged. I only hated they were all so hyped up before the victory songs though because it seemed to mess with the vocals.

20. Johnny says:

after this maybe we will get lucky if they have a theme called “Songs never heard on the Idol stage”. Then see them all scramble and keep getting told their choices have all been done before..

21. trickster88 says:

I love the songs you picked for these guys. Genius!

22. Emma says:

I wish they hadn’t limited it to idol ‘winners’, I’d love to hear one of the girls cover Haley Reinhart’s ‘Undone’. I know Rachel won an earlier sing off with it but we only got to hear a few seconds of it. It’s such a beautiful song. Maybe someone can do ‘I Who Have Nothing’ since Jordin Sparks covered it as did Haley Reinhart. Two very different but equally fantastic performances.

23. John says:

Lazaro Arbos – “Chasing Cars” (Lee) – Something familiar that he can power through

Janelle Arthur – “Home” (Phillip) – give her a chance to take the radio hit and female countrfy it.

Curtis Finch Jr. – “Don’t Play That Song (You Lied)” (Kelly) – Aretha got her gospel on and Curtis should take a crack at it.

Candice Glover – “Alone” (Carrie) – Just to hammer home that she’s the front runner let her just murder a rock song.

Kree Harrison – “Do I Make You Proud” (Taylor) – Terrible song for Taylor but Kree could do it justice.

Amber Holcomb – “Livin’ on a Prayer” (Jordin) – If Amber doesn’t want to have Candice eat her lunch she’s going to need to take chances, Bon Jovi is a great chance.

Paul Jolley – “Jesus Take the Wheel” (Carrie) – I think Paul’s better off letting his voice soar

Angela Miller – “Kiss and Say Goodbye” (Ruben) – she could kill this on the piano

Burnell Taylor – “Hey Jude” (Lee) – If ever there was a show ender, that tone with those lyrics.

Devin Velez – “Ain’t No Sunshine” (Kris) – I think he needs a moment that will give him one.

• lisawinston says:

As long as Burnell doesn’t walk down the steps accompanied by bagpipes … all that was missing from that moment was a montage of sharks jumping over the AI stage.

• teatime says:

I loved the bagpipes!

• lisawinston says:

I think bagpipes absolutely can work in the right song in the right place at the right time. But there was something about THAT situation — maybe the fact that Lee looked so incredibly uncomfortable and awkward — that just seemed to step over the line from sublime to really ridiculous. Just my opinion but I still giggle when I remember it.

• professor1453 says:

The cool thing about the bagpipes (and, yes, there was definitely an uncool aspect to Lee’s bagpipes) was that the Na-na part of “Hey Jude” is in the Mixolydian mode and bagpipes are set to the Mixolydian scale. Btw, bagpipes and rock mix beautifully in a band called Enter the Haggis. Check out “Twirling Toward Freedom.”

• JJ says:

Coronation songs are not allowed to be covered so no “I Believe” or “Home”

24. lisawinston says:

I’d LOVE to hear Burnell do “Smile,” which Ruben sang in the “semifinals.” One of my all-time favorite songs … my all-time favorite American Idol … and one of my favorite A12 singers. Triple-confluence of awesome.

25. xx says:

Lazaro needs to not touch Kelly Clarkson.
    Although at least you’ve suggested one of her lesser-known songs. They should stay away from the Breakaway singles/Stronger/the Some Hearts singles in general.

26. Ty says:

@ Michael Slezaks Curtis Finch choices… a bit strange unless Michael is being strange like a Fox! Poison pills to get Curtis off sooner!

27. Dan says:

As long as Kree sings rock, I don’t care what song it is

• Harvey says:

I think Kree should lean toward country until Paul and Janelle are out, to establish that voting base.

Other choices:

Burnell could really kill Live Like We’re Dying.

Candice needs to stomp around this week. Holding Out for a Hero (performed by Fantasia) or Heartbreaker (performed by Jordin Sparks) would be great.

Paul could do a nice rendition of Levon.

28. Miscellaneopolan says:

Wait! This theme is finally happening? Certainly took them long enough! And a Season too late for Elise to bust out some Haley Reinhart tunes. Damn…

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Okay, I just read more and have discovered that it’s limited to Idol winners. I guess they don’t want to expose us to too much good music too soon.

29. vincentdante says:

Guys,unless I misunderstood these are all songs sung by the Idols when they were competing on the show. Therefore, any post coronation songs or any “hits” would not be in keeping with the theme.

30. dani says:

BURNELL- Falling Slowly, Living for the City. House is Not A Home. CANDICE- You’re All I Need To Get By, Elinor Rigby(D.Cook),Levon(T.Hicks). DEVIN-Hello(Cook),Try ALittle Tenderness(Hicks),I Who Have Nothing (Sparks) CURTIS-Levon,Let It Be (K.Allen), Imagine(Reuben) LAZARO-EverybodHurts(Dewyze),Easy(Hicks),Always On My Mind(Fantasia. AMBER-House Is Not A Home(Reuben),Chain Of Fools(Fantasia),Don’t Play That Song (Kelly) JENELLE-You Send Me (Hicks),You Can’t Hurry Love(Scotty),When Will I Be Loved(Carey) PAUL- What’s Going On(Kris),Walk On By(Kelly),Taking It To The Streets(Taylor) KREE-First Time Ever I Saw Your Face(Cook),Superstar(Reuben),How Can You Mend A Broken Heart(Reuben),Ain’t TooProud To Beg(Reuben) ANGIE-Alone(Carey),Banana O’Reilly (Cook), Breaking Up Is Hard To Do(Reuben)

31. ms5987 says:

I think Devin could do well with Ain’t No Sunshine (Kris Allen) and Paul could do well singing Flat On The Floor (Carrie Underwood). I do like this theme and it’ll be very interesting. :)

32. Karrah says:

I would be so happy to hear any of them do a Kris Allen song, particularly my favorite, Kree. “I Need To Know” is a great suggestion, and I’d throw in “Out Alive” too.

33. Sasha says:

I know it wasn’t a single BUT i would love it if someone covered Sober! Still my fav song from her!

• JJ says:

That’s one of Kelly’s all-time best songs, and it’s very underrated. The range is killer, but if it’s rearranged I could see Candice, or Angie covering.

Angie really should go uptempo this week. She needs to avoid getting Pia’d

34. Kelsey says:

You guys are forgetting great past idol contestants. Daughtry, Elliott Yamin, Mandisa, Adam Lambert, Crystal Bowersox

35. Jake says:

I was all excited to suggest Haley Reinhart’s “Undone” for Kree, until I saw that it was winners only.
    I’d go with “Falling Slowly” (covered in S8 by Kris Allen and in S9 by Lee DeWyze) for Curtis (it would force him to be at least somewhat restrained) and “Battlefield” (Jordin Sparks) for Amber.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Bah, me too that really sucks. She might manage Spiderweb too.Hit THe Ground RUnning, Walkng on Heaven, wonderland in some cases to Kree or in other cases to maybe Amber. Although then again I’m fine, even better with the Haley version. Although it would be good to see her get some more promo (although it is tricky since if they make the song sound bad but not in the way to also get people to want to hear the original then it backfires).
      As for Michael’s picks, I can’t imagine Angie handling One Republics Apologize well, althoughmaybe I could be proven wrong.

• Janelle (and for the record, Ms. Arthur spells it this way too!) says:

I feel like a lot of Haley’s songs would lend themselves well to a countrified twist, so hopefully Kree takes advantage of that. (I originally thought Janelle’s tone would suit the songs better, but the voice overall just isn’t strong enough.)

• HTGRWHOM says:

What I’d really like is to have them bring her back sometime during the year to do a *couple* songs out of Hit The Ground Running, Oh My, Wonderland, Undone, Liar. To help make up for their shabby, under-handed treatment of her so we can try to start calling it even and put it in the past.
      bring back more contestants and less singers who never had anything to do with the show.

• HTGRWHOM says:

(and to not make it a messed up arrangement/mix, just let her do her thing like she did on Real Music Live TV)

• Johnny says:

Wow I really love what you mentioned about they should bring back more contestants instead of outside of Idol artists. I think the outside artists should be reserved for the finale. through the season viewers should be able to vote online for people from each season they’s like to see come back for a quickie performance at least and a quick “where are they now” kind of moment. that would be awesome. maybe we could reunite even the 3 divas from season 3, justin guarini, a lot of them who have put out music.

• Curtis is a diva, mark my words he doing something from Fantasia.he doesn’t want to be restraiined.

• f says:

Oh no no, Michael insists that Curtis and Joshua “Mantasia” Ledet (and Jacob Lusk, for that matter) are not the same at all…

36. Eolra says:

Well, I guess I’m glad it’s a “new” theme, but it’s kind of a crap theme which could be a catalyst for people choosing songs that have already been done to death on Idol. I wish they would have opened it up to, let’s say, all past top 10 Idol Contestants, but ONLY songs that they recorded/released AFTER their time on the show, leaving it open for some more interesting smaller or indie hits. I really hope most people stick to the Idol winner’s actual recorded songs instead of the ones they covered on Idol so at least we get to hear some fresh stuff. If anyone is stupid enough to choose “I Who Have Nothing” I’m going to throw my TV out the window.

• JR says:

I think “I Have Nothing” has only been performed by non-winner contestants, which is good because I’m sick of listening to people singing that song

• teatime says:

Jordin sang it top 3 week. It is probably the performance that won the show for her.

• Emma says:

Yes, and I remember there was some trepidation when Haley Reinhart was going to do it after Jordin’s masterpiece, but then Haley totally hit it out of the park as well. All the more impressive in light of the fact that just minutes before RandyJackass singled her out as the worst of the top 4 first performances that night. I don’t know if anyone would dare take it on this season, but we shall see.

• JR says:

I was referring to Whitney Houston but that’s because I was stupid… I didn’t read the Who in Eolra’s comment! lol

• Lily L. says:

No. Jordin sung it beautifully during her season. That’s the song that made me root for her.

• The Beach says:

Please, please no more Whitney songs this year.

• The Beach says:

I was wrong too. That is a Shirley Bassey song. My comment about Whitney songs, however, still stands.

37. forwarddad says:

Jolley should not sing Carrie. He needs a strong song.

38. Linda says:

I’d love to hear Kree’s smooth voice on Adam Lambert’s “Soaked”.

39. Linda says:

I’d love to hear Janelle sing David Cook’s version of “Little “Sparrow” originally by Dolly Parton.

40. Linda says:

Candice singing “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” as done by David Cook. Her beautiful voice would soar on that song.

41. Linda says:

Angela – “To Make You Feel My Love” as done by Kris Allen.

42. Linda says:

Or Kree could sing Carrie Underwood’s “I Know You Won’t”.

43. Linda says:

I’d like to hear Burnell sing “Man in the Mirror” as done by Kris Allen.

44. Linda says:

Lazaro sounded really nice on “Feeling Good”. So maybe another oldie as done by Kris Allen – “The Way You Look Tonight”.

45. Spell says:

Kree would definitely have a big MOMENT in “Broken Wing” (Jordin).

• Amy says:

I don’t recall Jordin’s “Broken Wing”…if by that you mean Martina McBrides’s BW, that’d be great for Kree. Btw, just saw M. McBride in concert with George Strait…awesome show…but MM did a “Broken Wing” which was worth the price of admission (and that was saying a lot for that show, filled with moments like that.) It brought down the rafters and the house…standing O and cheers for several minutes afterward.
      So…big shoes to fill, but would love to see Kree’s own spin on it.
      Or is there a different BW you meant?

• Leigh says:

Jordin did sing MM ‘Broken Wing’ she did a poor job and I think Kree would do the same. I really like Kree and I want her in the final but I really don’t think she can pull off a Martina Song.

• karen says:

Of course she can pull off a Martina McBride song. She is that good. Keith even said so himself. He would know.

• Leigh says:

Well she did a poor job on the Faith Hill song. Why should that be any different? Kree’s version of ‘Stronger’ wasn’t as strong enough as they want us to think. Sure it was all nice and clean and stuff but she doesn’t have to power it takes to sing a Faith song.

46. Pauljolley says:

Paul jolley should sing Clay aiken songs “SUGAR PIE HONEY BUNCH” OR SOMEWHERE OUT THERE..AND ALSO BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER….

47. Shroom says:

Wow…people remember even Lee (ok, songs he covered at least), but Alfred E. Neuman seems to be drawing a blank with everyone….can’t blame anyone though….would any song other than “Baby lock them doors…” be eligible?

48. Kait says:

Angie has already covered Falling Slowly as a duet–it’s on her youtube channel. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if she did it on Idol, since she has performed “Who You Are” and “Never Gone” on the show already, which are also covers that she has on youtube.

49. teatime says:

This is an interesting theme. The winner tends to be a contestant who does not sing the same-old old songs. I can only hope these contestants will get the hint when they look at a full list of songs sung by the winners. It will be interesting to see if these contestants go out of their way to find the most overdone songs out of a list of about 150 songs or more.

50. twnkltoze says:

I’m so impressed by everybody’s recall of past Idol songs. The only one I can come up with at the moment is “Music of the Night”, David Cook. I’d like either Burnell or Curtis to attempt that one. They’re the only two guys who could do it justice.