Ratings: Idol Dominates, Suburgatory Suffers

CARLY CHAIKINOn an otherwise sleepy Wednesday, American Idol‘s Top 10 Boys sing-off scored an easy, decisive win, drawing 12.7 million total viewers and a 3.7 demo rating — down slightly week-to-week but up 8 percent and two tenths from Tuesday’s Top 10 Girls live performance show.

RELATED | American Idol Recap: See Me Running Through That Open Door?

Of Wednesday’s only other fresh broadcast fare, CBS’ Survivor (9.4 mil/2.5) added a handful of viewers but ticked down a tenth… NBC’s Whitney (3.85 mil/1.3) rose 13 percent and a tenth… and ABC’s Suburgatory — stymied by a Modern Family rerun lead-in — dropped more than 20 percent to series lows of 4.6 mil/1.7.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

And… that’s all I got!

1. Mike says:

Oh no, Suburgatory is suffering from the Cougar Town/Happy Endings effect, great show, but is unfortunately dependent on a good lead in.

• joshdemby says:

While the MF lead-in helps, I don’t think the show is entirely dependent on it. I think people assume when MF is a repeat then Suburgatory will be as well. ABC should sync the air dates so this is actually the case, rather than have one be new and the other be a repeat.

• Kristoffer says:

I agree. For some reason my DVR planned to record The Middle and Modern Family even though it’s only supposed to record new episodes. I noticed they were repeats and canceled them… Got to Suburgatory and almost canceled it as well thinking the whole night was a bunch of repeats.

2. Tran says:

Can NBC get rid of Whitney for good and can ABC get rid of The Neighbors as well?

• pam says:

I feel like I am the only person who appreciates The Neighbors!

• Nick says:

You’re not…it’s actually gotten much better as it has gone along, and it’s much funnier than the pretentious Modern Family!

• Mike says:

While I still don’t love the neighbors, it has improved so much since the pilot, and I don’t change the Channel when the Middle ends anymore.

• Kristoffer says:

I know several people that slammed the show when it first came on and love it now. I still can;t seem to make myself watch it – but maybe next week….

• Melanie says:

I actually really enjoy the Neighbors. It has really come into its own since it started. Way understated for sure. ABC does that to it’s shows though…

• mia says:

I like Whitney, quite a bit actually. I think its refreshing to see a couple like them on tv.

• Joe says:

LOL why don’t you take a look at the rest of the ratings? What TV LINE has omitted is that THE NEIGHBORS was the only one flat from last week. A 1.7 (same as Suburgatory). On a sandwiched night of repeats. It’s doing well for ABC – It’s not lead-in dependent or lead-out dependent. And it’s a pretty hilarious show too. So know what you’re talking about.

3. Boiler says:

ABC does disservice to its shows again!

4. Singingal says:

Suburgatory is an amazing show that gives me a few laugh out loud moments every week! And I loved that moment between Dallas & Tessa at the end. Such a strong cast. Don’t you DARE touch it (unless to move it to a more favorable time slot).

5. K. says:

Idol won the night because everything else was a repeat!

6. Ugh. Why does ABC have reruns mixed with new episodes? People who don’t have DVRs or pay attention to the listings and tune in live because of habit like the Nielsen ratings dictate will assume that if they see one rerun, the entire night is reruns. At the very least, air the rerun show after the new show. Come on!