Much Ado About a Trailer: How Many Joss Whedon Show Vets Can You Spot?

Get More: Video

Sigh no more, Joss Whedon fans, sigh no more — because the trailer for his Much Ado About Nothing is finally here.

The Buffy creator’s film adaptation of William Shakespeare’s classic love caper — which features many of his past and present co-workers — will soon hit theaters. In the meantime, how about we play a little game of “How many Whedonverse vets can Joss stuff into the promo?”

Here’s how it goes. Press PLAY on the video below, then fill the comments with what you see. Make sure to give the show, actor and timestamp (like “Angel‘s Alexis Denisof at 0:18!” or “Dollhouse‘s Franz Kranz at 0:23!).

How many Friends of Joss can you pick out? Ready, set, go!

Comments (43)

• I’m not playing because I don’t have that kind of time here at the office, but that was just brilliant! One of my favorite Shakespeare plays by one of my favorite directors! Can’t wait!!

Comment by tjj50 – March 7, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No black person this time around?? Seriously. Why? The version with Kenneth Branagh was excellent.

Comment by aees – March 7, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that movie, but every time I see Keanu Reeves as Don John, all I can think in my head is, “Doth not a dude bleed? If you a tickle a dude, doth he not laugh? If you poison a dude, doth he not bleed? Party on, San Dimas!” Which yeah, I know, wrong play. It’s The Merchant of Venice. I still can’t get it out of my head.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – March 7, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In Kenneth’s version, the Lady Beatrice was played by an almost unrecognizable Kate Beckinsale. This is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays and it will be interesting to see what Joss does with it. Sure hope Amy gets back into leather again

Comment by Georgia Madman – March 7, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Emma Thompson played Beatrice and her portrayal was excellent. Kate Beckinsale played Hero.

Comment by anonymous – March 7, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally correct! This trailer is great! I can’t wait to see the movie. Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorite Shakespeare’s plays. I love the Kenneth Brannaugh version, so I have no doubt I will love this one also.

Comment by elr – March 8, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Joy! Oh please give us a release date!!!

Comment by Lorinda – March 7, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • June 7th Limited Release, June 21st Wide Release

Comment by DreamRose311 – March 7, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hate going to movie theaters, but I don’t think I can wait for this to come out on DVD and I should give my $10 to try to prop up the box office take.

Comment by moobear – March 8, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgive me, I don’t remember all the actor’s names. Amy, Nathan, Franz, Alexis… Andrew from Buffy, Clark Gregg from Avengers, the actress who played a waitress in Avengers and “Caroline” in Dollhouse, and Mr. Dominic from Dollhouse, as well.

Comment by Sal – March 7, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok ive watched it twice now, i havent got the time to go back and look for timestamps but i got nathan fillion, riki lindhome, amy acker, alexis denisoff, tom lenk, clark gregg. fran kranz and ashley johnson. fairly certain i probably missed someone obvious.

Comment by Alan – March 7, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just figured out the one i missed sean maher, how the hell did i forget him first time round?

Comment by Alan – March 7, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Acker (Angel, Cabin in the Woods, Dollhouse), Alexis Denisof (Angel, The Avengers, Dollhouse, Buffy), Reed Diamond (Dolhouse), Nathan Fillion (Serenity, Firefly, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Buffy), Clark Gregg (The Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D.), Ashley Johnson (Dollhouse, The Avengers), Fran Kranz (The Cabin in the Woods, Dollhouse), Tom Lenk (Buffy, The Cabin in the Woods), Riki Lindhome (Buffy), and Sean Maher (Serenity, Firefly),

Comment by Car – March 7, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That looks amazing and I’m not even one who is obsessed by all things Whedon.

Comment by c-mo – March 7, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I spotted Sean Maher Briefly, Along with several others! can’t wait!

Comment by Jude Alexander – March 7, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wesley and Fred!!!

Comment by Anne – March 7, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that was my first reaction too!

Comment by Kate – March 7, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mine as well…they are fantastic together!

Comment by RUCookie – March 7, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This. <3 Their chemistry is still through the roof!

Comment by Harmony – March 8, 2013 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see this!

Comment by tara17 – March 7, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No time to actually count who all I saw, but I will say that this makes me incredibly happy and I have been waiting for this for too long!! Whedon and Shakespeare, two of my favorite things!!

Comment by Meghan – March 7, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I’m not playing the game, because this cast is 100% Friends of Joss, but I can’t wait to see this! It’s been on my calendar for months and months! (-:

Comment by Alia – March 7, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw this at TIFF. Awesome. Filmed at his house over something like 12 days.

Comment by Guest – March 7, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to see this and the panel with Whedon, Fillion, Acker, Denisof, and Gregg at SXSW!!

Comment by Kat – March 7, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is it june yet?

Comment by murley – March 7, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really looking forward to this! Although I really loved the filmed live performance from a couple years back with David Tennant and Catherine Tate as Benedick and Beatrice.

Comment by Mary – March 7, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE the Tennant and Tate version! It was so funny.
      This one seems to have a very different tone, a little more intimate.
      Prepared to love them both.

Comment by Alice – March 7, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously it would be easier to note the non-Whedonverse vets. But the trailer was AWESOME! so excited.

Comment by tvwillrotyourbrain – March 7, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chills

Comment by jw – March 7, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still a little bitter than Wes and Fred got one stinking episode of happy couple time before Joss “killed her off”, I am taking this movie as a personal peace offering and penance for such a grievous crime.

As a side note, I have to say that Wesley Wyndam-Price is probably the most developed character, growth wise, that I have ever seen on a TV show. That character, from his first episode on Buffy to the last episode of Angel, transforms into almost a completely different man, yet who is deep down still the same person, and it’s done in a way that makes you not second guess it. Seriously, I challenge anyone to tell me a character with more developmental growth from any TV show, ever.

Comment by Jason – March 7, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said. :’)

Comment by Harmony – March 8, 2013 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto!

Comment by tara17 – March 8, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would agree with you but also throw in the middle the development of his real-life wife’s character Willow. She’s also someone that changed completely from the begining to the end, but keeping her heart. also a great development!

Comment by MarianaH – March 11, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I spotted Nathan Fillion, Sean Maher, Clark Gregg, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof. I am really excited for this one. June is like 2 months away.

Comment by siska – March 7, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jossgasm!

Comment by Kevin H. – March 7, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Basically the jobless ones plus Nathan Fillion.

Comment by Ella – March 7, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do love a challenge. Ok…Here’s what I have……The Avengers – Jillian Morgese – 0:09, Angel/Dollhouse – Amy Acker – 0:12, The Avengers – Clark Gregg – 0:14, Buffy/Angel – Alexis Denisof – 0:18, Dollhouse/Cabin In The Woods – Fran Kranz – 0:21, Dollhouse – Reed Diamond – 0:21 (although it may be at 0:19 if that’s him exiting the car with Denisof,) The Avengers – Romy Rosemont – 0:26, Dollhouse/The Avengers – Ashley Johnson – 0:27, Firefly/Buffy/Dr Horrible – Nathan Fillion – 0:35, Buffy/Angel/Cabin In The Woods – Tom Lenk – 0:35, Firefly – Sean Maher – maybe 1:02 definitely 1:20, Buffy – Riki Lindhome – 1:10

Comment by Alichat – March 7, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t hear the dialogue for the bloody music.

Comment by Bouncy Castle – March 8, 2013 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • then you must have a problem with the sound on your computer because i can here the dialogue no problem

Comment by Alan – March 8, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whedon loves very strong female characters, so I can see why he picked this play, but the downside is it’s of course going to be compared to the amazing Branagh version.

Comment by moobear – March 8, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree the Kenneth Branagh version with Emma Thompson, Branagh and Denzel can not be beat. But as I love the play and the Joss Wheadon I might go see this in the theater.

Comment by Mika02 – March 8, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whedon needs to put David and charisma together again!

Comment by tracy raines – April 26, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post