Much Ado About a Trailer: How Many Joss Whedon Show Vets Can You Spot?

Sigh no more, Joss Whedon fans, sigh no more — because the trailer for his Much Ado About Nothing is finally here.

The Buffy creator’s film adaptation of William Shakespeare’s classic love caper — which features many of his past and present co-workers — will soon hit theaters. In the meantime, how about we play a little game of “How many Whedonverse vets can Joss stuff into the promo?”

Here’s how it goes. Press PLAY on the video below, then fill the comments with what you see. Make sure to give the show, actor and timestamp (like “Angel‘s Alexis Denisof at 0:18!” or “Dollhouse‘s Franz Kranz at 0:23!).

How many Friends of Joss can you pick out? Ready, set, go!

1. tjj50 says:

I’m not playing because I don’t have that kind of time here at the office, but that was just brilliant! One of my favorite Shakespeare plays by one of my favorite directors! Can’t wait!!

2. aees says:

No black person this time around?? Seriously. Why? The version with Kenneth Branagh was excellent.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I love that movie, but every time I see Keanu Reeves as Don John, all I can think in my head is, “Doth not a dude bleed? If you a tickle a dude, doth he not laugh? If you poison a dude, doth he not bleed? Party on, San Dimas!” Which yeah, I know, wrong play. It’s The Merchant of Venice. I still can’t get it out of my head.

• Georgia Madman says:

In Kenneth’s version, the Lady Beatrice was played by an almost unrecognizable Kate Beckinsale. This is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays and it will be interesting to see what Joss does with it. Sure hope Amy gets back into leather again

• anonymous says:

Emma Thompson played Beatrice and her portrayal was excellent. Kate Beckinsale played Hero.

• elr says:

Totally correct! This trailer is great! I can’t wait to see the movie. Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorite Shakespeare’s plays. I love the Kenneth Brannaugh version, so I have no doubt I will love this one also.

3. Lorinda says:

Oh Joy! Oh please give us a release date!!!

• DreamRose311 says:

June 7th Limited Release, June 21st Wide Release

• moobear says:

I hate going to movie theaters, but I don’t think I can wait for this to come out on DVD and I should give my $10 to try to prop up the box office take.

4. Sal says:

Forgive me, I don’t remember all the actor’s names. Amy, Nathan, Franz, Alexis… Andrew from Buffy, Clark Gregg from Avengers, the actress who played a waitress in Avengers and “Caroline” in Dollhouse, and Mr. Dominic from Dollhouse, as well.

5. Alan says:

ok ive watched it twice now, i havent got the time to go back and look for timestamps but i got nathan fillion, riki lindhome, amy acker, alexis denisoff, tom lenk, clark gregg. fran kranz and ashley johnson. fairly certain i probably missed someone obvious.

6. Car says:

Amy Acker (Angel, Cabin in the Woods, Dollhouse), Alexis Denisof (Angel, The Avengers, Dollhouse, Buffy), Reed Diamond (Dolhouse), Nathan Fillion (Serenity, Firefly, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Buffy), Clark Gregg (The Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D.), Ashley Johnson (Dollhouse, The Avengers), Fran Kranz (The Cabin in the Woods, Dollhouse), Tom Lenk (Buffy, The Cabin in the Woods), Riki Lindhome (Buffy), and Sean Maher (Serenity, Firefly),

7. c-mo says:

That looks amazing and I’m not even one who is obsessed by all things Whedon.

8. I spotted Sean Maher Briefly, Along with several others! can’t wait!

9. Anne says:

Wesley and Fred!!!

10. tara17 says:

Can’t wait to see this!

11. Meghan says:

No time to actually count who all I saw, but I will say that this makes me incredibly happy and I have been waiting for this for too long!! Whedon and Shakespeare, two of my favorite things!!

12. Alia says:

Okay, I’m not playing the game, because this cast is 100% Friends of Joss, but I can’t wait to see this! It’s been on my calendar for months and months! (-:

13. Guest says:

Saw this at TIFF. Awesome. Filmed at his house over something like 12 days.

14. Kat says:

So excited to see this and the panel with Whedon, Fillion, Acker, Denisof, and Gregg at SXSW!!

15. murley says:

is it june yet?

16. Mary says:

Really looking forward to this! Although I really loved the filmed live performance from a couple years back with David Tennant and Catherine Tate as Benedick and Beatrice.

• Alice says:

I LOVE the Tennant and Tate version! It was so funny.
      This one seems to have a very different tone, a little more intimate.
      Prepared to love them both.

17. Seriously it would be easier to note the non-Whedonverse vets. But the trailer was AWESOME! so excited.

18. Jason says:

I’m still a little bitter than Wes and Fred got one stinking episode of happy couple time before Joss “killed her off”, I am taking this movie as a personal peace offering and penance for such a grievous crime.

As a side note, I have to say that Wesley Wyndam-Price is probably the most developed character, growth wise, that I have ever seen on a TV show. That character, from his first episode on Buffy to the last episode of Angel, transforms into almost a completely different man, yet who is deep down still the same person, and it’s done in a way that makes you not second guess it. Seriously, I challenge anyone to tell me a character with more developmental growth from any TV show, ever.

19. siska says:

I spotted Nathan Fillion, Sean Maher, Clark Gregg, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof. I am really excited for this one. June is like 2 months away.

20. Kevin H. says:

Jossgasm!

21. Ella says:

Basically the jobless ones plus Nathan Fillion.

22. Alichat says:

I do love a challenge. Ok…Here’s what I have……The Avengers – Jillian Morgese – 0:09, Angel/Dollhouse – Amy Acker – 0:12, The Avengers – Clark Gregg – 0:14, Buffy/Angel – Alexis Denisof – 0:18, Dollhouse/Cabin In The Woods – Fran Kranz – 0:21, Dollhouse – Reed Diamond – 0:21 (although it may be at 0:19 if that’s him exiting the car with Denisof,) The Avengers – Romy Rosemont – 0:26, Dollhouse/The Avengers – Ashley Johnson – 0:27, Firefly/Buffy/Dr Horrible – Nathan Fillion – 0:35, Buffy/Angel/Cabin In The Woods – Tom Lenk – 0:35, Firefly – Sean Maher – maybe 1:02 definitely 1:20, Buffy – Riki Lindhome – 1:10

23. Bouncy Castle says:

Can’t hear the dialogue for the bloody music.

24. moobear says:

Whedon loves very strong female characters, so I can see why he picked this play, but the downside is it’s of course going to be compared to the amazing Branagh version.

25. Mika02 says:

I agree the Kenneth Branagh version with Emma Thompson, Branagh and Denzel can not be beat. But as I love the play and the Joss Wheadon I might go see this in the theater.

26. tracy raines says:

Whedon needs to put David and charisma together again!