Joy Behar Quits The View -- Find Out Why!

Joy Behar Leaving The ViewJoy Behar will leave The View after this season, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Exclusive: ABC’s Shark Tank Extends Its Season

Behar, whose contract expires in August, is departing the long-running ABC daytime talk show after 16 and a half years to pursue other ventures, including a new interview show.

“It seemed like the right time,” Behar tells the site. “You reach a point when you say to yourself, ‘Do I want to keep doing this?’ There are other things on my plate I want to do — I’ve been writing a play, I’ve been neglecting my standup.”

The comedienne, who had her own show on HLN and currently has one on Current TV, also expressed a desire to “do an intelligent talk show where you have room to breathe.”

Responding to reports that she met with new CNN boss Jeff Zucker, Behar would only say it was “a positive meeting” and that “CNN would be great place” for her next talker.

Will you miss Joy Behar’s point of View?

1. Josh says:

Good for her. I can only imagine how stifling The View must be.

• L says:

Joy Behar is one of the reasons I don’t like The View. Behar is so closed minded, it’s her way or the highway, so glad to see her go.

• KJ Silverman says:

I agree. I truly enjoy her humor; but, when she goes into her parroted, close-minded political diatribe, it becomes soporific. She offers nothing politically beyond low brow talking points. She is without political expertise, depth, knowledge, insight; and, personifies the typical poorly informed person on the street . . . . with a microphone stuck in her face. Even worse, she is woefully intolerant of differing views and incapable of intelligent debate. Her adamant close minded nature indicates smelly bias and willful ignorance. She should stay with her strength, her comedy.

• Sarah says:

WOW! Let me guess-you’re a Republican. It’s a pity no one in your party can resist name-calling. Joy is very well informed, humerous, and tolerant of differing views–unless they are delivered in a rude manner.

• Simone Didier says:

Are you sure you’re not talking about Elisabeth? It sure sounds as if you’re speaking about Ms. Hasselbeck.

• dt says:

Funny… that is Exactly how Millions and Millions of people feel about Elisabeth Hasselbeck!! Funny, huh, that you have the same passion of the opposite feeling about the same show? I am sure no one need ask your position on same-sex marriage…Get with the times…ditto to KJ Silverman reply.

• Daisy Hunter says:

I AGREE!! good riddance…

2. mia says:

Oh no!! She’s my favourite part of The View. I’ll watch wherever she goes and I hope they get someone as dynamic and left leaning as her replacement. Heck, even someone *more* leftleaning.

• too true says:

I agree. She was the only one I liked.

• Jeanne says:

Oh No… I love Joy Behar . Ilove her, she makes the show. They should get rid of Barbara and Elizabeth. She is so argumentive and soooo into herself, it’s hard to even watch her, with her smirks.

3. Laquisha says:

Why can’t it be Hasselbeck?? :(

• Kia says:

Agreed!!!!

• Sheryl says:

Ditto

• april-ann says:

If only.

• S says:

If only we could be so lucky.. I can’t stand Elisabeth!

• Nova Kates says:

I can’t stand Elisabeth either. Her superior, always right attitude drives me crazy and in my opinion, she is wrong most of the time.

• I HATE ELIZABETH. SHE IS SUCH A FAKE. Sucking up to Sarah Palin during her election campaign?? Elizabeth was on the GOP payroll for sure and shouldve been kick off that daytime show loooong ago and gone back to her mothership: FOX News idiot desk

• edlow says:

I love Elisabeth. Shes close to my age and shares my same republican and conservative views….different view points is what makes the view unique. Very few people on tv represent my group of friends but elisabeth does and she does it with grace

• Butters says:

I agree with you that the point of the show is to demonstrate different views not just one view. Elisabeth is an important part of the show because she is not afraid to take an opposing view point. Joy is useless on the show. She mimics Whoopie the whole time. It would be good if the replaced her with an “politically” independent woman to balance out the panel or maybe create some balance, that it never really had.

• No hope for her says:

There’s a difference between having a different viewpoint and being obnoxious about it. Elisabeth Hasselbeck is obnoxious about it.

• Butters says:

She has to be because the others will not let her speak. If she was not on the show you would have nothing to really talk about. (You in general, not specifically directed at you “no hope for her”} It is the point of the show. If it all was the same would anyone care???

• april-ann says:

Will not let her speak? Huh? I stopped watching because she’s the only one whose shrill voice kept on and kept on screeching. I couldn’t hear anyone else and soon found she had nothing to say. She is really the one who will not let anyone else speak. There would be so much to talk about if she were off the show. Maybe a well chosen intelligent panel could get back to discussing and debating topics reminiscent of how it was before she was wrongly chosen to be there.

• No hope for her says:

Keep telling yourself that.

• Ruby says:

As a liberal who watches the show pretty much daily, I have to disagree. I think Elisabeth, while misguided at times, is sometimes the LEAST obnoxious when expressing her opinion. And she’s generally respectful when she does. I may not agree with her views on a lot of things, but the general consensus (on the internet) is that she’s some horrible person, and that’s just not true, as far as I can tell. (Then again I live in Utah, where I’m surrounded by people who think it’s ok to openly hate on gay people in the workplace and have no idea that they might be offending anyone because they’re so clueless and sheltered, so maybe Elisabeth is just a respite from all of that.

• Carol Diemer says:

I do agree with you. I usually don’t agree with what she says, but I do respect her right to say it.

• Faster says:

And Joy Behar isn’t obnoxious?

• Steph says:

Seriously. We lose Rosie and Joy and yet that moron Hasselbeck just keeps hanging on? UGH.

• Erinn says:

Are you kidding? Elizabeth is the ONLY sane minded person on The View! SOOOO Happy the Liberal Witch of the View is GONE!!!!

• mia says:

Naw, I’m glad she’s staying. I am in no way a republican (I lean so far left that I’m practically a communist haha) but the View needs to have a diversity of opinions and the discussion that results from that divesity is why we watch. While I disagree with her A LOT and sometimes her militant loyalty to the right is frustrating, she does represent a large part of America. And sometimes she makes really valid points and I agree with her on occassion.

• tara17 says:

She’s not my cup of tea, but I find she’s matured nicely. She used to drive on about her opinion without listening, and now I find her more poised and attentive to the points others make.

• Magali says:

indeed!

• kay says:

Everyone is liberal on the show. Hasselbeck has the courage to have an opposite opinion. And i say this “As a Liberal” she keeps the fire going, someone! has to disagree to make it a debate!

• Sarah says:

Agree!

4. Great news, now let’s go ahead and get rid of all those other annoying clucking hens on that despicable show.

5. Bobbi says:

What fantastic news! Won’t miss her in the least.

• I totally agree..no one will miss her…she is obnoxious and so are the others with the exception of Hasselbeck…just like it was time for Oprah…Behar’s departure is long over due! The show itself is not worth watching!!!

6. megan says:

Good for her. I can only imagine how catty things can get bts on that show. Heck, it gets catty on the air.

7. Cin says:

I find her a little obnoxious to, and dismissive of, those that don’t agree with her. I won’t miss her.

8. Kel says:

Wait, The View has been on over 16 years?!?!?

9. Lachilli says:

Why can’t it be Elizabeth. We don’t need racist on the view. Sorry to see Joy leave. She is a lot of fun.

• Butters says:

She is not a racist just because she is a republican or disapproves of Obama. and if you are implying that she is narrow minded maybe you should look in the mirror because you have just proven that with your own post. Wasn’t the point of the View to show different view points and not just a liberal one. and Since Whoopie joined she made them fact check before commenting. Think before you post

• Kristoffer says:

I agree that the comment of Elizabeth being a racist is way over the top. It’s a shame that just because someone disagrees with our president or the administration they can be considered a racists. People may not like Elizabeth but in my opinion she generally knows more about the topics more than most on the show. I do disagree about Whoopie fact checking… Most of the time she acts like her opinion is the right one because she SAYS it is. I doubt there is any fact checking going on….

• Erinn says:

Elizabeth is NOT a racist. Get a life! She is a CONSERVATIVE. WE ARE NOT RACIST! JUST HARDWORKING!! And also against Obama and the destruction of our nation and the disgusting debt he has caused this country!!

• Ruby says:

Conservatives haven’t become synonymous with racism for no reason. There is a problem in your party. A BIG problem. And wtf with the “we’re just hardworking” line? You spend too much time on Fox News.

• Jamila says:

Abraham Lincoln was a Republican – Republicans freed the slaves. Democrats in the the South were the ones who introduced the Jim Crow laws and fought against desegregation. They were against black people every step of the way. When they were unable to stop blacks from voting, they realized that they needed to do something to get blacks to vote for them and to forget all about the anti-black things that they had done. So they created the welfare programs and were able to enslave black people all over again by making them dependent on the government. Even so, black people will now vote Democrat because they want their government check and “Obama phone”. Republicans are still trying to free the slaves but they don’t want to be free. Schools don’t teach true history anymore and it is too bad, but if you do some research, you will find everything I wrote here is true. Before you start calling me a racist, I am a black woman who worked my way out of poverty and wish my fellow brothers and sisters would wake up and help our people before it is too late. (PS – the reason 75% of black children are born out of wed-lock is because the government will give a check to a single woman easier than a married one. Is this good for our community, I ask you?) It is not racist to speak the truth. Government money = enslavement!

• Jason says:

You’re absolutely right about the history of the parties, but they are completely reversed now. Keep telling yourself otherwise, and continue to lose elections. Fine by me. So black people vote Democrat to get a government check and a non-existant, except atox News, Obama phone? No, that’s not racist at all.

• nancy whitaker says:

Most inteligent response I’ve seen and true. Wake up america before it’s to late.” gimee some of that obama health care” will bankrupt this country.their policies appeal to moochers and that’s how he got re-elected.GOD SAVE THE U.S.A.

• Ruby says:

She’s not racist and she’s pro-gay rights. Maybe you should actually watch the show before you just parrot back things you hear people say online. (And before you say it, I am the farthest thing from a Republican/Conservative I can possibly be.)

10. Emily says:

16, 17 years on one show, especially one with that much backstage (and on screen) drama has got to take its toll. Especially when you have other things in the works, things you get to be in control of, I’m honestly surprised she lasted as long as she did.

11. Tammy says:

I love Joy! I’m sad to see her go. If Whoopie leaves then I am out.

12. Abe Froman says:

She seemed like the only one there who knew you never leave a gig as easy as that one. Guess not.

13. Amy says:

Glad to see her go. Every time she disagreed with any guest, she’d get snooty or riled and ALWAYS looked like she’d vomited in her mouth – lol. I hope they find a mid-line independent for her replacement. They have plenty of dems and Elizabeth is a conservative but often comes across like a ditz. A smart independent would be welcome

• Butters says:

Here here and if you lived in DC I would take you out for drink. Smartest comment on this site yet. Thank you Amy

• PJ says:

I agree with your statement. I used to enjoy watching “The View” — but, it has become boring. I won’t miss Joy — she definitely is too obnoxious. Elizabeth talks too fast and sometime gets on my nerves, but she is also leaving (against her will), I hope they do not get rid of Whoopi — if they ever get rid of Whoopi then I will not be watching the show. Barbara needs to get off of the show also — she is boring. BUT, PLEASE DO NOT REPLACE ANY OF THEM WITH ANY OF THE KARDASHIANS — PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

14. Sue says:

Would love to see Elisabeth and Barbara go. Barbara seems to be loosing it.

• sue says:

Even though Barbara started the show, she needs to go. She interrupts constantly, but give the others “the hand” if they try to opine. I wish older people in the public eye would realize when it’s time to quit. They embarrass themselves and I am embarrassed for them.
      Now, as for Joy: what a blessing! She is the only one who thinks she is funny. She should watch herself on tv. There is rarely laughter in the audience when she interrupts with what she thinks is funny(not).

• ok says:

Yes it is time for Babs to retire.

15. Faster says:

Please never let this woman come across my television screen again.

16. B says:

Thank God.

17. Mark says:

I literally gasped. Such horrible news. I found her to be so entertaining to watch even if I didnt always agree with her politically. I love the chemistry between the women. Very very unhappy.

18. Deann says:

I will not miss her at all. As someone said, she was very dismissive of those who disagreed with her and her left wing politics are as annoying to me as Elizabeth may be to others. Good riddance!

19. Glad I’m not the only one who scrolled back up to check – 16 years this show has been on the air?! Sheesh.

20. C. Gerard says:

Happy to see her go! Enjoyed her in the past as a commediene but cannot tolerate her liberal bent on the show, ditto for Whoopi. Elizabeth is the best!!

• Ruth says:

I love the format of the show, but have grown to dislike Joy for her narcissism and trying to be funny at inappropriate times. I sat in the front row of the studio and, while all 4 others seemed friendly and confident while off-air, she seemed self-conscious and nervous, which explains the constant barbs. I am a “centrist” democrat who admires Barbara, but wish she’d retire with respect intact (ala Johnny Carson.). I love Whoopie but wish she’d tone down the interest in dope, respect Elisabeth (she has moved way more to the center and gives credit and criticism where I often agree with her) and fine Sherri kind, humorous and the least intelligent of the five. All in all, I don’t find them silly, like Kelly, Rachel, Hoda, KathyLee, etc. though I don’t agree with any 100% of the time.

21. Dennis Crank says:

Maybe she can team with Star Jones and Rosie and have their own show on The OWN. They can call it Women without a clue!!!

22. justine says:

Does anyone else think she as fired like Star and Barbara gave her the chance to lie like Star claims she got. The View is not as good as it once was and Joy was grown too old and stubborn. Now Barbara was to vacate the show because she still thinks its 1975,

23. Tattymouse says:

I am glad she is leaving “The View” I used to love it but it has deteriorated into a hot mess since Whoopie and Sherrie joined the show. I hate their takes on politics …..as well as the racial slurs. Sherrie is uninformed & contributes NOTHING to the show except black street talk. I hate it. Sometimes she should illiterate. I stopped watching to totally during the election as they sucked up to Obummer as tho he were a KING! GOOD FOR YOU JOY! The show is no longer intellectually informative.

24. Kim R says:

I like Sheri. She’s funny, real, can be wrong but never a bully. Elisabeth can be militant and shrill, Barbara is just out of touch, Joy is caustic and Whoopi is a bully. :) But what do I really think? :)

25. Tattymouse says:

Ps. …..error: I meant to say she sounds iliterate (ie: Sherrie, on the view)

• Nikki says:

Look how you made a mistake writing a simple post. Just imagine how many mistakes you’d make on live TV. Give Sherri a break.

26. Deena says:

Used to really like Joy but she is so full of herself now. If anyone has even a slight difference of opinion she cops such an attitude. I agree with a lot of her political views but am embarrassed by how she presents them. She’s as closed-minded as the people she complains about.
    Plus, her jokes are SO forced. It is obvious the audience is being instructed to applaud or she would get no response.

27. ET says:

“So what, who cares?”

28. mattyc says:

Without Joy I have NO REASON to watch The View…

29. Daniel says:

when Elisabeth got into my idol Bill Maher’s face that one time on the View, I lost it and wanted her out immediately….I can’t believe I rooted for her on Survivor.

• Ruby says:

I also like Bill Maher but he said some really nasty stuff about her and she had every right to get up in his face and defend herself. And although I don’t agree with her politics, I respected her for standing up to him like that.

30. Ruby says:

Unbelievable the amount of people who can’t tolerate people who don’t agree with them politically. The View is about having different VIEWS. That is what is unique about the show. Neither side should be silenced. People should get differing opinions SOMEWHERE since the news channels are no longer unbiased. Anyone who spends all of their time with their head on one side or another is not fit to be voting. You can’t educate yourself properly if you don’t have BOTH sides.

• Preach says:

Seriously. Wanting someone to leave because they’re ‘too liberal’ or ‘too conservative.’ It’s the whole fracking point of the show.

31. Margaret Mills says:

Joy has her nose up in the air like she is too good to be on the show. She is not a nice person. The show has gone down and really needs to go off air. Barbara acts like she has dementia. I just think it is time to go. It was good at one time.

32. Mark says:

Thank God! I hope Whoopi is next.

33. Ron says:

replace Joy with Sarah Palin… wouldn’t that raise the ratings…

34. Kim says:

Joy will be missed! The view hasn’t been the same! Turn on the talk ! It’s a fun show !

35. Jennimer says:

She’s the only person worth watching on the show…better than Walters, who had no qualms about socializing with Roy Cohn or Henrt Kissinger…

36. Marya says:

I think the show should be canx. I can tolerate Whoppie, Joy thinks she is funny and she is not, Sherri adds nothing to the show, Elizabeth can be interesting at times but her shrill voice turns me off and Barbara needs to retire. The entire cast dresses like they just stopped by the Salvation Army for their wardrobe. Why do I watch? For the gossip.

37. MikeS. says:

LOL@reading some of these empty-headed, moonbats’ comments, trying to disparage Elizabeth. The common theme is said moonbats can’t come up with any SPECIFICS as to why Elizabeth is supposedly so “stupid” or “ignorant” or whatever the bogus claim is.

Translation: the average moonbat View viewer is almost always a layabout, bon bon-eating, wouldn’t know the difference between policy and a piece of lint, but ALWAYS willing to use juvenile drivel to try and disparage a good and moral conservative lady, such as Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

Don’t worry, Elizabeth, now you can go to a network (i.e. Fox News) where you can get better ratings and more money ;)

38. Linda says:

Hi.. I don’t really usually watch the View…but the rare times I do I don’t really like Joy because she is so Narrow minded about Spiritual things like reincarnation, etc….some things she is o.k. with….but she can be so annoying and like I said…Narrow minded.
    I think Barbara is a Snob and Sheri can be prejudice sometimes….Elizabeth is usually annoying….but I LOVE Whoppie!

39. Katherine Collins says:

You have to be open minded yourself to watch the show. It is one of the only reasons I watch TV. They are current on news and gossip, and have all points of view to present it. That is why they call it the VIEW. Get a clue and grow up and smell the coffee, I love the show and everyone on it. I value their views

40. JJTime says:

We’ve had to endure Barbara for 30 years while the networks have tried to train her to fit into something, truth is she still remains a dull, boring, individual who doesn’t particulary fit in with anyone. Only conclusion being, she must have had deep either marital or religious connections to last this long.

41. jackie2830 says:

So glad to hear Joy the loud mouth is leaving! So tired of seeing her SOURPUSS on the show. She was totally jealous of Elizabeth and it showed, EVERYDAY, even though they were coerced to deny there was any discord between them…..it was ALWAYS painfully obvious on Joy’s sourpuss face. What a nasty witch – to hold a grudge because someone has a different political viewpoint than your own? I think it boils down to jealousy…..Elizabeth is YOUNG, BEAUTIFUL, HAS 3 KIDS, AND A CUTE HUBBY………….Joy is nothing but a washed up foul mouth. BTW, the hair-do is about 25 years old and your teeth are yellow.! Don’t let the door hit ya in the butt!