Pilot News: Buffy's Watcher Anthony Head to Rule Over The CW's Selection Drama

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

The Selection SpoilersFor years, Anthony Head watched a young woman fight to save the world. Now, he’ll witness a different young woman fight to become royalty.

Head, Buffy‘s erstwhile Watcher, has been tapped to co-star in The CW drama pilot The Selection.

From Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain (Dollhouse, The Vampire Diaries), the Hunger Games-esque project is set 300 years in the future and centers on a working class woman (played by Israeli actress Yael Grobglas) chosen by lottery to participate in a competition for the Prince’s (Michael Malarkey) hand to become the nation’s next queen.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Per The Hollywood Reporter, Head joins as King Clarkson, the royal family’s patriarch.

Head’s most recent TV credits include Merlin, NBC’s ill-fated Free Agents and the U.K.’s Dancing on the Edge.

Comments (34)

• Well, they just hooked me.

Comment by Brooke – March 6, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

Comment by Camilla – March 6, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hooked to watch Head do a new show, so Go GILES Go!!!

Comment by CeriMoller – March 7, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

Comment by Dan – March 6, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GILES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no interest in this show except … GILES!!!!!!!!

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – March 6, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t interested in this show at all (especially since it’s nothing like the Hunger Games) it’s just The Bachelor set 300 years in the future…but with Anthony Head, I might check out the pilot if it gets picked up.

Comment by ZmaX – March 6, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They just guaranteed I’ll watch it at least once.

Comment by Renee – March 6, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. Can’t help it, it’s Giles!

Comment by Liz – March 6, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here.

Comment by SK – March 6, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by GottaHaveEmAll – March 7, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have never watched this but now I have to. This sucks. Love that man

Comment by Lisa – March 6, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ID RATHER HE BE IN A ACTUAL HUNGER GAMES TV SHOW AND NOT SOME LOVEY DOVEY CRAP. GREAT ACTOR (!!GO GILES!!)

Comment by Ncooke – March 6, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t be too quick to jump to conclusions – we don’t know yet what sort of competition this will be. And let’s be honest – Hunger Games can get pretty lovey dovey too. Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing – I’m a fan of the series and looking forward to this one as well.

Comment by wordsmith – March 6, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Plus, if it’s based on the entire trilogy, book two isn’t even out yet. I’m thinking there is some more intrigue/action on the way.

Comment by lariet50 – March 6, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’ll be great so see him again! yay

Comment by bobbie – March 6, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll always remember him as Giles on Buffy The Vampire Slayer but I didn’t like his role on Free Agents after it was canceled by NBC. Don’t know if his new gig is going to bounce back for his career post-Buffy.

Comment by Tran – March 6, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who says he needs to bounce back? He’s stayed plenty busy over the past few years. I mea come on Uther (on Merlin) alone is a big role, and that’s hardly all he’s done

Comment by Regal – March 6, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was a wonderful Uther Pendragon on Merlin. From my perspective, his career is looking pretty good.

Comment by Marz – March 6, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds so bad, but so good at the same time. I hope its a really good guilty pleasure (much like Beauty and the Beast has become)
    And now with Tony involved, I’ll certainly be watching

Comment by mia – March 6, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The book is actually a lot better than the description makes it sound. If it’s even half that good, I’m in.

Comment by Regal – March 6, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The book that it’s based on really stinks. It’s so bad, it makes the Twilight series seem like Shakespeare in comparison. But maybe the TV series will be way better than the book. I certainly hope it is!

Comment by Alex – March 7, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me having grown up in the UK, I remember ASH and Sharon Lawrence in their Nescafe commercials, I believe they were shown here in the US as Tasters Choice. He was AWESOME in Buffy, and she went on to do NYPD Blue.

Comment by scottymac – March 6, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I was the only one who remembered him in that commercial. I love him!

Comment by SK – March 6, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give any Buffyverse alum a trial period viewing, and between ASH and Craft & Fain, this one will at least get a look from me.

Comment by J – March 6, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show sounded interesting before but now I definitely have to see this. Love him.

Comment by Autumn – March 6, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will definitely check this out !!

Comment by JAO – March 6, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d watch that man read the phone book.

Comment by Aleksa – March 6, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dig it. I still don’t care for the casting of the girl playing America, though. She’s about the size of a toothpick.

Comment by lariet50 – March 6, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jong! He is everywhere! He’s also doing or probably finished The Sea of Monsters. Anthony Head is probably the ONLY good actor on that show so will def give it a watch if it gets picked up. But this might probably help it get a 13 ep order.

Comment by shuayb – March 6, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, it took me FOREVER to stop calling him King Giles when watching Merlin. Now this? The things I do for you, Tony. :D

Comment by Michelle – March 7, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in!!! I’ve been dying to see him on tv again, but could never get into Merlin =\ Hope this works out for him!

Comment by Thea – March 7, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish he’d go back on Doctor Who. Maybe as a companion this time.

Comment by Nicole – March 7, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post