Pilot News: Sara Gilbert Books CBS' Bad Teacher

sara gilbertSara Gilbert has nabbed a desk of her own at CBS’ Bad Teacher.

Based on the 2011 Cameron Diaz flick, the single-camera comedy stars Ari Graynor (Fringe) as Meredith Davis, a sexy, foul-mouthed divorcee who becomes a teacher to find her next husband.

RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on All of This Fall’s Possible Newcomers

The Roseanne alum/The Talk co-host will play Irene, a quiet and shy English teacher who has the potential to be intense and eager. (The Hollywood Reporter first reported the story.)

Gilbert’s co-stars include David Alan Grier (In Living Color) and Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars).

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Community and Happy Endings scribe Hilary Winston wrote the script and will serve as an EP alongside the team behind the film version, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupinsky.

If Teacher goes to the head of the pilot class and is ordered to series, Gilbert plans to double up by remaining part of the new comedy and continuing her hosting duties at The Talk, where she’s also an executive producer.

1. james says:

Movie was awful.. not sure why they would make a tv show based on it.

2. TV Gord says:

I would watch Sara in anything, no matter how grating and horrible it is. It\s the only reason I watch The Talk every day. ;-)

3. Freddy says:

Unfortunately I really don’t this this show will go far. You look at a lot of the new, creative shows that are being produced for the possiblity of shots to be picked up ad it has no chance. If it DOES get picked up, I imagine it will last just as long as How 2 be a Gentleman (and probably just as bad). Sorry, Sara Gilbert, but it ain’t gonna happen. The movie and idea were just bad…

4. Zachary says:

Read this script, it’s really funny. Hilary Winston is a great writer, and Happy Valley was one of my favorite scripts last year. Hopefully that one gets another shot, because that was a really creative pilot. I never saw the movie Bad Teacher, so I’m not one to judge.

5. TV Gord says:

Bad movies can be made into great TV series. (ahem) Buffy The Vampire Slayer (ahem).

6. ragincajun says:

Yeah, but this is on CBS, so everyone has to bitch about how bad it will be. ;-)

7. tahina says:

SG needs a makeover she still has same Arlene look from Roseanne’s days. Otherwise glad for her.

8. leah says:

man! I WAS going to check this show out. Don’t know if I will now.

9. tara17 says:

I’m definitely checking this out. The premise has potential. I admit I enjoyed the movie, but I can understand it’s not for everyone.