Exclusive

The Following Exclusive: Find Out What's Next Now that Joe Carroll Has [Spoiler]ed!

The Following took a killer turn in this week’s installment when incarcerated cult leader Joe Carroll busted out of prison thanks to the help of his many (many) devoted acolytes — but what’s next?

RELATED | Fox Renews The Following, New Girl, The Mindy Project and Raising Hope

As our exclusive behind-the-scenes peek reveals, the addictive Fox drama will continue to move full-steam ahead next Monday (9/8c) — starting with the introduction of Ringer‘s Mike Colter as Nick Donovan, a no-nonsense agent from Quantico who’s hungry to recapture Carroll. The newbie, of course, will butt heads with Kevin Bacon‘s Ryan Hardy… but who hasn’t at this point?

Elsewhere in the episode, a reunited Joe and Emma giddily play house with their makeshift “family.”

Press PLAY below for a glimpse of what’s ahead on The Following, then hit the comments.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, Video

1. S. from E. now says:

“They are a loving family… of serial killers.” XD loved that part.

2. kirads09 says:

Purefoy is (literally and figuratively) killing it on this show. Is it wrong that I really love him even though his character is so evil. Emma has got to go though.

3. Carm says:

Of course the cop is probably someone one his team too.

4. This show just grates at every bone the ruthless killing and torture of humanity at one mans insane notions. It’s a great drama and mystery how one person can convince so many people to slay innocent bystanders also a look into cults people who hang on every word of a delusional leader I hope they all drink the koolaid. The Emma charector is as creepy as they come and how he sucks in members of law enforcement is beyond me, I watch this show every week and I’m glad it’s been renued for a second season

5. Mark says:

I have lost respect or “The Following” because there seem to no rules, anyone at anytime can be revealed to be a follower. When they were rescuing the boy from the farm house we saw how the pursing cops and SWAT team turned out to to be followers. I assume this will continue throughout the series but it leaves me feeling cheated. Who knows, in season 5 they could decide that Kevin Bacon is really a follower.
    Also at the beginning of the series Joe Carroll was on death row, right? Then he broke out and killed more people and then got arrested again. Is he still on death row? Why is he allowed to have unsupervised visits with anyone? JUST KILL HIM!

• JMill33 says:

The SWAT team members were not part of Joe’s cult.

Two of the cult members ambushed some SWAT agents at the rear of the farmhouse and took their gear so they could impersonate SWAT personnel.

• Mark says:

I see, I didn’t catch all of that, I just saw SWAT guys shooting at other SWAT guys. I don’t know why they didn’t just kill Ryan. Does Joe want him alive?

• Hahaha. You are so naive. So the real swat team when saw some other uninown faces wearing swat team uniforms they automaiptically assumed they are legit. Comon. This series creators are insulting viewers inteligence by putting such unbelieveable things there.
        And giving Joe transfer when he is on death row? That is not possible with current laws. If u dont get that then im trully sad for your naiveness.

• MeMe says:

But the local police girl was a ‘follower; who suddenly flipped and started killing ppl…

• casgirl3 says:

I agree to some extent. I’m liking the show, but come on, the cops haven’t ‘won’ anything. Joe is good and he’s planned well, but some stumbles along the way would help with believability. It’s sort of like the Mentalist Red John. If the guy is just too good at getting away with just everything then well, I’m not that interested.

6. Angela says:

Just read the series has been renewed for a second season. Please, oh PLEASE, get better writers for the next go-round. The actors can only do so much with the material they’re given.

• Jen says:

Hopefully the renewal means that the writers are now comfortable to craft a great story. With the way shows get canceled so quickly these days, I feel like writers are under pressure to create something faster than they really have time for. Maybe with the cushion of knowing they have x amount of episodes, they can plan it out a little better.

7. farhan says:

So this is what we know so far….

FBI is the most ridiculous thing that ever happened to this world according to this show. This show loves to keep going in circle. Two rescue plans two dramatic scenes were for nothing. Show is a lame attempt a thriller. First of all…Ryan isnt Jack Bauer! Torture really…Intense scenes require good story lines that this show clearly lacks. Fox renews this crap in a heartbeat but shows like Fringe had to wait till may and fan petitions for renewals!

8. MeMe says:

this show is like ‘Lost’ season 1 will be good then you get bored…quickly…as Caroll contiunes to do whatever and the little boy never gets rescued…it’s such a bore i can see it all now…there’s absolutely no where to go with the story…yet another disappointment! Are we suppose to hang on each week as he narrowly escapes,,,whatever!

9. dragongummy says:

[SPOILERS!] Not everything has gone according to plan. Ryan was supposed to kill Jordy. He didn’t. Claire and Charlie weren’t supposed to be found. Emma wasn’t supposed to leave Jacob and Paul. Ryan wasn’t supposed to find them in that house. Maggie wasn’t supposed to almost kill Ryan (if Mike hadn’t shown up). The thing is, Joe has to rely on people who aren’t as emotionally cut off as he is. And emotions can alter decisions. I think while the show DOES have some moments of being unbelievable (I mean, come ON. It’s got guilty pleasure television written all over it), I think it’s a great show.
    And I don’t find how big the cult is unbelievable either. Do you know the CONCEPT of a cult? Defined as: “a religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and borrowed via the French culte from Latin cultus “worship”, from the adjective cultus “inhabited, cultivated, worshipped”, derived from the verb colere “care, cultivate.”
    So why are people so surprised at the lengths these people will go for Joe? They *worship* him as their leader. I don’t know, I just love the show. :)

10. The key phrase is “belief or practices”. What makes this hard to buy is that there are no beliefs or practices. This guy Joe is not telling people how to find or evade eternal anything, or spouting any point of view for that matter. These people look like they came from the “Night of the living dead”. We’re given no reason why they are following him. Looks to me like they were trying to copy “Dexter” but they’re missing motivation and likability. Without a cause (plot), It’s just sensationalism. Watching people torture other people for fun? That’s sick. I’m trying to hang in there because I love Kevin Bacon and all the actors are good but I don’t know how much longer. There’s starting to be more gore than plot.

PS I agree with kirads09, Emma’s got to go.

11. linds moore says:

Of course Joe is not dead!!!