Saturday Night Live: Your 25 Dream Host Picks!

To say that Season 38 of Saturday Night Live has been a little lackluster would be like calling the Kardashian clan a wee bit overexposed. And while it wouldn’t be fair to place the sketch-comedy show’s woes on the shoulders of its guest hosts, the most recent string of emcees — Adam Levine, Justin Bieber, Christoph Waltz and Kevin Hart — haven’t exactly upgraded the tired lines that showed up on their cue cards.

Which got us thinking: Back in September, TVLine brainstormed a list of 15 first-time hosts we were dying to see. You responded with hundreds of fantastic suggestions of your own. And since Lorne Michaels & Co. seem to need all the help they can get, we picked your best ideas — none of whom have hosted before — and compiled ‘em in a handy gallery.

So click through the photos below, then hit the comments with your thoughts on who you’d like to see follow Justin Timberlake’s stint this coming Saturday (11:30/10:30c, NBC)!

1. KC says:

Rebel Wilson and Carol Burnett would be amazing. I’ve loved Carol since I was little and Rebel is just awesome in general. They both would kill it.

I’d like to add Darren Criss to the pile though.Watch any interview and it’s pretty clear he’s got an incredible sense of humor that would really shine on SNL. He could even do a Glee parody, since he’s pretty good at making fun of himself. Plus, he could double as the musical guest and play his own music!

2. Heatherjm says:

Walton Goggins or Matt Bomer would be awesome!!

3. Surina says:

Darren Criss would be amazing! Both as host and musical guest but if he was to host then the musician should be Walk The Moon, Charlene Kaye, Starkid, Ed Sheeran or Bruno Mars :). But I would love for Darren to perform his own original songs as they are all amazing and it’s real music :) he’d be a fantastic host too, fantastic actor who is funny and intelligent with a wonderful personality! :)

4. Erika says:

Darren Criss please? Also Jensen would be cool to have! Rebel definitely is also one of my top choices.

5. Luminosity says:

Roday & Hill, Nathan Fillion, Donald Glover (with guest appearance by Danny Pudi), Martha Plimpton, Joel McHale, Zach Levi, John Cho, and Simon Pegg would each be on my list to host.

• Eric says:

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I forgot to include Zachary Levi on my list! That would be amazing! In fact, I’d like to see anyone that you named. We have very similar tastes, apparently!

6. Kem says:

How about Darren Criss from Glee. He is super hot, and he can sing and dance.

7. I think Reba Wilson would be great – but also Darren Criss! He is really good at improv and he could be the musical guest as well!

8. Paloma Vigo says:

Darren Criss! definitely <3

9. caroline says:

Darren Criss as a host and or musical guest would be phenomenal!

Chris Colfer would would also be fantastic- he is super witty!

10. musiclover1247 says:

I also am including my wish to see Darren Criss host SNL! He is perfect for it because he really can make fun of himself and is a great actor with the education to do so!
    Him being a musical guest will have to wait, but just until he is out there promoting his album once it is finally done and ready for release!
    But with his Starkid background and his time on Broadway, SNL would be an amazing job for him to do! Jane Lynch has been the only Glee star to host! Let Darren (or Chris) host please!

11. Alexis says:

Darren Criss would be amazing!

12. Breanna says:

Darren Criss would make a fantastic host or musical guest. He was terrific as the host of the broadway.com awards. Also, Chris Colfer would make an interesting addition to the list, he’s got a biting wit that makes for some seriously hilarious moments.

13. ck says:

All I know, is if this week sucks with JT back at the helm, it will be time to put a fork in the writing room…

14. kevinc says:

craig ferguson, must be a creepy show.
    sutton foster would be nice

15. Nara says:

Nathan Fillion and Pauly Perrette – for sure!

16. Shell says:

NATHAN FILLION SHOULD HOST! He would be awesome!

17. Tinemi says:

I agree with Nathan Fillion, Benedict Cumberbatch and Max Greenfield. I would hate Lena Dunham (I think she’s exposed enough) and I would add Martin Freeman to the mix.

18. Rachel says:

Darren Criss would make for a fantastic host, also he does have an upcoming movie with SNL alumni, Kristen Wiig.

19. Natalie says:

We need Darren Criss on the show. He would be the perfect Host and Musical guest!

20. J says:

Michael Weatherly would be great on it. It helps that he’s insane.

21. Rebecca says:

Agree about adding Darren Criss to the list – he has a lot of experience with stage acting and he can be the musical guest to boot! Also Matt Bomer would be great, too!

22. Nicole says:

Another vote for Darren Criss, he would be wonderful and really is quite hilarious (plus bonus points for a surprise appearance by Kristin Wigg before their movie “Girl most likely” is released)

23. Melly says:

Darren Criss please. He will make a great SNL host. He is truely amazing. Mark my words.

24. Joana says:

Wait, where’s Darren Criss?? Darren Criss, please!

25. Butters says:

I see all the gleeks have hit the boards for Darren Criss. I will be the first to disagree with him as a choice to host.

• Joel says:

and I’ll be the second. I don’t mind the guy- I still watch Glee and thought the Harry Potter musicals were funny – but I don’t think he is in the same league as some of the names suggested here (Nathan Fillion gets my vote).
      That said, I would suggest checking the IP addresses of all the Darren Criss votes, because all these generic girls names suggesting him feels to me like it’s more likely to be one person with too much time on their hands.

26. ana says:

oh no, Darren stans flooding a thread.

27. Carmela says:

Darren Criss would be totally awesome! :D

28. RobMF says:

Anna Kendrick. That is all I’ll say on the matter.

29. Camille says:

Darren Criss! But Rebel would be FREAKING hilarious! ALSO OMG JESEN ACKLES AND BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH!!!!! Although Misha Collins could probaby pull it off better than Jensen, but he would still be AMAZING! :D

30. Heather says:

Co-hosts Zooey Deschanel and Emily Deschanel!

31. Alex says:

I pick Bridgit Mendler to do both hosting and musical guest on SNL! She’s always have the highest sense of humor!

32. Liv says:

DARREN CRISS!!!!!!! Performer and host. He would be perfect!

33. Andrea says:

Josh Groban!

34. Emma barrios says:

Darren Criss! He is the ultimate comedian and goober!

35. Catherine Biggs says:

I would love to see Darren Criss on SNL! He’d be an excellent host & musical guest!

36. Emma barrios says:

Darren Criss! He’s the ultimate host!!!

37. Liv says:

Darren Criss was on broadway so he knows the stage and doesn’t choke in front of an audience. He is on TV so he has the ability to create a character and work with direction. He would write his own musicals and occasionally improv on the spot with them when he was in college. If that is not the ideal host for SNL, then I don’t know who is. And a musical guest, I’m sorry but have you seen his billboard hits? He can clearly sing live. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

38. Darren Criss! He’s worked with past SNL members and is great at making stuff up on the spot. He could also be a musical guest. It’s a great 2-for-1 deal!

39. Beth says:

Darren Criss would be awesome. He’s funny, charismatic, unafraid to laugh at himself, musically talented, has experience with live audiences and improv…. He gets my vote!

40. Ellie says:

Darren Criss would be awesome as either a host or a musical guest. Or Chris Colfer could host with Darren Criss as the musical guest!

41. Amanda says:

Darren Criss was BORN to host SNL!!

42. Lacey says:

Darren Criss also! He’s hella talented and super funny to boot! :)

43. skye says:

Darren Criss W/ musical guest…Jim and the Povolos or Charlene Kay or Freelance Whales.

44. Sara says:

Nathan Fillion
    Rebel Wilson
    Max Greenfield
    Jensen Ackles
    Kat Dennings
    YES TO ALL OF THESE.

Heather Morris from Glee would be fantastic too – she’s awesome.

45. Libby says:

I would love to see Ty Burell from Modern Family

46. Ben P. says:

Jane Curtin. It will almost certainly never happen. But Jane Curtin.

47. jamie says:

Darren Criss!!!! He’s so funny!

48. Laura says:

Darren Criss! He wrote a musical called Me and My Dick. Does much more need to be said?