Fox Renews The Following, New Girl, Two Others

The Following Renewed, New Girl, Mindy ProjectFox announced on Monday that it has renewed four more shows for the 2013-14 TV season, including the Kevin Bacon-fronted freshman drama The Following and the buzzy, bubbly sophomore comedy New Girl.

Likewise, Raising Hope has been picked up for a fourth season, and the freshman comedy The Mindy Project will be back for another round.

RELATED | 9 Network Shows on the Verge of Cancellation

The quartet of pick-ups, combined with Bones‘ previously announced renewal, effectively keeps Fox’s current Monday and Tuesday line-ups intact, with ill-fated Ben and Kate already excised.

Among Fox’s scripted live-action fare, this leaves just Glee — which with an eye on Season 5 has protracted negotiations ahead — and Touch up in the air.

In announcing The Following‘s renewal — for the same 15-episode count as its maiden run — Fox president Kevin Reilly said, “From the very beginning, we felt Kevin Williamson and Marcos Siega had created a high-quality, edge-of-your-seat drama that could break from the pack, and it is exciting to see the audience responding. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have given us two of the most compelling characters on television and the entire cast is incredible. I’m delighted to have this thrill ride continue for another season.”

TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect today’s pickups.

1. Drew says:

The Following really doesn’t deserve it in my opinion. I’ve been watching, just because I watch everything and this seemed like a limited-run commitment, but I don’t think I’ll be watching season 2. A joke is only funny for so long.

And Mindy?! Really?!

With Fringe gone, I don’t know that there’s really much to love on Fox these days. New Girl and Raising Hope are just about it for me. The rest of the network could cease to exist and I probably wouldn’t notice for a while. A shame, since Fox used to be a solid network. Now it’s turning into CBS, only producing boring, poorly written crap.

2. Rhonda says:

I absolutely love The Following and am so grateful for another year. I can’t wait until Monday nights to see what else can possibly happen. Kevin Bacon and the rest of the cast are excellent.

3. JT says:

Am happy for that three of the four are coming back. Not a fan of the Mindy Project.

• Jay says:

I am a fan of the MIndy Project, and I’m thrilled that she’s getting another year! The second season of any show is always better than the first.

4. waffles says:

While Mindy Kaling is funny and cute, her show is totally unwatchable. It’s painfully unfunny. I can’t believe it got renewed.

5. Molly says:

If they cancel Glee, I hope they make Rachel great again before the end. She has turned into the queen Mary Sue of the show and has pretty much none of the personality that always made her endearing. Same with Finn; I adore his character but I feel like they should give him a purpose in life other than being best friends with his old high school teacher.

6. mycatmidnite says:

All my Fav’s :) Good day for mr & TV :) …. now just need parenthood renewed & i’ll be all set :)

7. Nancy Segal says:

I am so excited that the following is being renewed. It is one of the best and most suspenseful shows on the TV today! Not a fan of any of the other shows that were renewed but it seems that people like those shows too.

8. Sara says:

While I am totally loving The Following, I am a little on the fence about how it could possibly continue on for more than one season. I wish that tv producers and networks would learn that sometimes certain shows work in a limited run kind of way.

• Nina says:

IMO, it could run for 2 or 3 seasons before it’s getting old. We haven’t seen the last of Joe’s followers yet! And I think they’ll probably give more background story for the agents. I missed the last 2 episodes so I can’t say, but I’m really interested in knowing more about Shawn Ashmore’s character.

9. Eric says:

Very excited to hear about Raising Hope being renewed. I’m very surprised to hear that The Mindy Project was renewed, but I think it’s a cute show. I would have rather seen Ben & Kate get renewed, but I’m still happy. I love New Girl, and The Following is good too, but I knew that they would be renewed.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

Phew. I won’t lie, I was a little nervous for The Mindy Project. I was trying really hard not to get attached, but I was getting attached.

11. Celeste says:

I’m a fan of the following, I even try to watch it live and I rarely watch anything live. Im glad they renewed so I can keep watching without worrying it will have an abrupt cancellation and no ending.
    Also glad they are keeping the episode orders short and sweet. 15 is good for this kinda show.

12. Eliza says:

Yay, Raising Hope!! This news makes my little heart sing….really love this show.

13. ggny says:

How close is Raising Hope to Syndication? Also Mindy Project needs a totally rehaul that show is ok but not great

14. Boiler says:

The Glee haters just need to shut up and stay away from anything about it. Obviously a ton of people like it, they sell music and is one of the biggest DVR gainers.

• Nina says:

Lmao seriously? Is that your argument?

What is a “DVR gainer” anyway? Sounds like a show that people don’t care enough about to watch live.

15. mia says:

so pleased about Mindy + Raising Hope!

16. Nina says:

Aww I really hope they renew Glee. I really want them to prolong graduation to season 5. And also Touch. The show is getting better with the addition of Maria Bello! Love her so much. I dislike The Mindy Project, ugh, that show gives me the ick. Sorry. But I guess it’s a good thing for the fans! Congrats! :)

17. Fernanda says:

I only care about Glee actors’ contracts, that is the reason about renewal news are delay.
    My main Glee Cast from season 5: Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Chris Colfer, Darren Criss, Naya Rivera, Heather Morris and Jenna Ushkovitz, all of them in New York.

Sadly we could have to say goodbye to Matt Morrison, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Kevin McHale, Mark Salinger, Chord Overstreet and Diana Agron. They could return like guest stars.

The newbies could go to any ABC Family show.

18. Lilly says:

I’m totally hooked on The Followers, and glad to hear they have been renewed. After the “Scream” movies and “The Vampire Diaries”, I’m thrilled Kevin Williamson decided to write a Thriller/Horror story for the “big kids” who enjoy that genre. I love it! The story is great….the followers are like the people in a bad nightmare that you just can’t seem to get away from, no matter what you do they just keep coming until their task is complete. Kevin Bacon and James Puerfoy both deserve a gold star for the parts they are playing. Bacon who went on medical leave from the FBI had decided to drink his life away a lonely man, Now he’s around Claire every day, which seems like romance may blossom again, and he’s getting pretty serious about being an FBI officer again. I am now totally convinced Puerfoy could convincingly could play the devil himself.The story flows forward just at the right speed for me, and I am totally enjoying the Following experience.

19. Jake says:

while I’m happy to see “The Following” getting renewed. I’m definately curious what the writers are gonna come up with to stretch this into more than a 1 season show…That said, I’ll definately be watching. I haven’t missed an episode yet.

• randy says:

what they’ll come up with? they just turn every person into a follower. as soon as you think someones gonna get caught they’ll just be like ‘oops, that persons in the cult too! suprise!”…lol what a terrible show.

20. randy says:

ha, The Follwing is AWFUL. i just DVR it now and watch is as comedy. cuz i DIE laughing the whole time. is it supposed to be funny? it should be called ‘the way the fbi/cops would never ever work” show…problem with a premise like this is it could only last one episode, cuz the guy would be caught by then. it amazes me people watch this show..but thats America for ya….regular tv just cant produce good shows..its impossible.

21. Tom Whiting says:

Happy to see The Following got renewed, but I have a feeling they’re going to have an issue past season 1. The show’s got a great season 1 premise, we’ll just have to see what they do, because this current story line can only go so far.

22. Wes says:

Glad to hear the Raising Hope was renewed, the whole family loves the show. I was a little worried after fox started playing episodes back to back and showing the finale in March as opposed to May (during sweeps) which is when the finale show was set. The final scene of the show could have played out as a series finale.

23. Mom says:

I started watching “Glee” with my daughter when it first started. Rachel’s dream is hers…to be a Broadway star. The first year was fine, the others, I didn’t really watch, but this year, I feel, is the best. I think it would be best, now, for Ryan to seperate the two shows, because the older ones who have watched “Glee” from day 1 are older, now, and are either taking the ACT/SAT or in their senior year of school. Their thoughts are on college or beyond high school and they really don’t care anything about what younger high school students go through since they have already been there, done that.

So, Ryan, please make a show with the original cast members in NYC, and for your younger viewers, keep “Glee” in high school. Have Emma and Schu move, too, maybe to Washington, D.C. so that they can both get involved with teaching the arts on a national basis Keep Jane and Becky in Lima. I have never cared for either of their characters.

Of course, since I’m a teacher, I love the fact that Finn will probably go in to teaching. But, for my daughter’s sake, since she has always wanted Rachel and Finn together, please bring Finn to NYC to enroll in a college for a teaching degree. Whether or not they get together, that’s up to you. Personally, I believe that the original cast members need some time to explore NYC and their feelings before they jump into relationships. Not having self-exploration, quality time has always been a criticism of mine of “Glee” and having characters feel that they need someone to be boyfriend/girlfriend with is crucial to who they are as a person is not good for those growing up.

I would love to see everyone who is in a relationship with any problems to be alone for a decent amount of time. Please move away from the main plot of the show as to whether or not someone gets someone, and or how to keep someone, to other things that those growing up would benefit from. I would like to see the show get media-knowledgeable with real-life world issues that are could destroy our country/world, and dropping the politically correct aspect.

The older kids who started watching “Glee” with the original cast grew up after 2011 and have grown up in a world without the innocence of ours, Ryan. Please give them hope in every episode of both shows, but make it realistic.

24. Mom says:

I meant 9/11, not 2011.

25. vitamin V says:

these shows are all terrible for one reason or another, plot holes, too much suspension of disbelief, annoying lead actresses, stupid juvenile situations… and its all been done before, and a lot better. then there’s the biggest problem with network TV, 30 minutes of content and 30 minutes of commercials. Network TV is doomed and own’t last another 5 years at this rate.

26. JC says:

Happy to hear The Following is coming back. Sad to hear about Ben and Kate. Thought it was very funny. The Mindey Project on the other hand was the worst comedy on all of tv this year. Not sure what they are thinking. Tried several times to watch it. Not at all funny!!!!! Come of Fox ur better than that

27. blindfaith says:

I am very excited The Following will be back for another season. The script writing is intense, intelligent and amazIng. The plots lines are intertwined and the show is like reading a novel where the events unfold in a manner that keeps you wanting to read he next page and open the next chapter. There is actual character development here and a story that moves beyond one all-inclusive episode. Bravo to the producer, creator and writers of The Following. This show is reminiscent of other long-running television programming where the viewer is continually entertained as the plot thickens. I am not a personal fan of American Idol working as an entertainment industry professional but Kudos to Fox as this is TV Americans want to watch. Again, many thanks to the Fox Network for bringing a balance to those viewers, that includes me, who want to watch a scripted TV show that is NOT based on “scripted”….yes, folks “scripted” reality. Enjoy….and thank you!

28. Brandy says:

I am absolutely thrilled that The Following is coming back. Kevin Bacon is fantastic. So many good twists and turns. It’s brilliant!

29. Adrienne says:

Is there going to be another season of the following?

30. Tim says:

The following was a show that was very predictable, i knew it would have a horrible ending and it did. I knew there would be a second season and they would need to have something bad happen at the very end to make you want to continue to watch it.. I do not plan to watch the second season as the first season had no redeeming value what so ever. Far be it from these screen writers to make a series that has a good ending and conveys the message that good overcomes evil.

31. Connie says:

I love The Following! I had to miss the finale and am so mad that I have to wait 8 days to view it online. Why can’t it be viewed next day if it’s already been released? Waaaaaaah

32. Maryann says:

Disappointed that they killed Parker on The Following. She was interesting and very kind.

33. Debby says:

My not-so-bright brother-in-law insists that Ryan, Clare (sp?) and Joe were all three killed in the season finale. I know that isn’t true, but how do I convince him? Also, he insists that Ryan was once married to Molly. I don’t believe that’s correct either.

34. Lisa says:

I think that you cannot kill off Claire as they already killed off Deborah. Several of us feel that this would be such a horrible ending to a really tragic love story so far. I do not think that Ryan would have anything to live for if Claire dies. She is his drive and motivating force.

35. Jody says:

The Following is the best show on television right now! Sooooo excited it has been renewed for another season! I can’t wait to start watching again!!!

36. Mindy project is HILARIOUS!! can’t wait for the second season

37. Tran says:

Don’t make me go all Jack Bauer on you.