Exclusive

Exclusive: Drop Dead Diva Boss Talks 'Amazing' Renewal, Rumored Cuts and 'Best Season Yet'

Drop Dead Diva Season 5 SpoilersMuch like its heroine, Drop Dead Diva pulled off a miracle on Friday when it was plucked from the cancellation ashes and renewed by Lifetime for Season 5.

What saved the series from death? It wasn’t “creative financing,” creator Josh Berman tells TVLine. Instead, he credits Diva‘s loyal fans.

RELATED | Broadcast Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? On the Bubble?

But with cuts no doubt needing to be made, how many episodes will the show be back for? And will it look any different? Here, Berman sounds off on those burning questions and teases what’s in store for Jane, Grayson and Fred.

TVLINE | First of all, congrats! How does it feel to have the show resurrected?
It feels amazing. I love writing this show. I love the characters. I love the cast. I love the crew. For me, Drop Dead Diva feels like a family. It sounds corny, but it feels like the pick-up brought the family back together.

TVLINE | Were you surprised when Lifetime cancelled the show? Did you have any inkling?
I was disappointed when we were cancelled. Our ratings have always been strong, so I was surprised. Our finale was up over 30 percent from the prior year.  I never would have left our fans with such a big cliffhanger if I thought we were going to be cancelled.

TVLINE | How did Drop Dead Diva get uncancelled? What was the deciding factor that changed Lifetime’s minds?
I believe the fans saved the show. When we were cancelled, we trended on Twitter, off and on, for days. Tens of thousands of fans signed petitions for the show to be brought back. Our Facebook numbers grew, and fans posted homemade videos on YouTube in support of Drop Dead Diva. I received thousands of messages of support from around the world. I’ve been fortunate enough to work on several popular shows, including CSI and Bones, but the fan base for Drop Dead Diva is nothing like I’ve ever seen. I’m grateful for such loyal fans.

TVLINE | Were some other options/homes for the show seriously explored? Or was it always about trying to work things out with Lifetime?
Lifetime was always my first choice. Other networks were interested, but Lifetime was our home, and it made the most sense to stay put.

TVLINE | According to Deadline, Sony was able to work out a new financial model for the show. Does that mean budget cuts?
The show will look and feel the same. There is some creative financing, but that won’t affect the viewing experience. Fans shouldn’t notice a difference. … I’ve had a singular creative vision for this series since Day 1. Nothing will change in Season 5 that hadn’t already been in the works. I’ve always thought the first four seasons served as a platform for Season 5. I believe Season 5 will be the best season yet.

TVLINE | Will it be a shorter episode order?
No, it will be a full order. And it will air later this year.

TVLINE | I have to ask about last season’s cliffhanger. How long will original Jane be in Owen’s body? And how do you balance that without it getting campy?
I can’t answer the first question without giving away too much information. I love the second question. The show lives in a bright, shiny world that’s grounded in reality. Our characters will remain relatable and flawed, and I’m not worried about going too camp. I can promise some very big surprises in the first episode back.

TVLINE | What’s ahead for Jane and Grayson now that they’ve kissed? Will he get closer to learning that she’s really Deb?
Ah! Stay tuned for that answer. The Grayson-Jane love story will feature prominently in Season 5, but I’m not ready to give away any secrets. I promise lots of twists and turns.

TVLINE | Any hope of getting Ben Feldman back for the Stacy/Fred lovers out there?
Ben Feldman has been very vocal about his appreciation and love of the show.  He’s beloved on Drop Dead Diva by the actors, writers, fans, and me.  The door is always open.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him back this season.

Drop Dead Diva fans, are you enthused by the show’s resurrection? And what would you like to see next season?

1. Joan says:

I have love the Show from the first time it aired.! Enjoyed season 1,,2,3,and 4! but I was very disappointed with the ending of Season #4. I Just knew the show was done. I sure hope they fix it! There are many other ways Jane(Deb) and Grayson could get together but not this way.Jane and Owen were match right! Owen in to Jane’s body! Just does not seem like the right way to go! So sorry I really did not like Season #4 ending. But I really Love the show and So glad its back! I hope it get’s better!

2. Debbie says:

We love DDD and happy it will be back. Hopefully the cliffhanger will be resolved FAST, so stupid! Also we are not Fred lovers, glad he’s off he is better in other roles. We would like to see Jane hooked up with someone other than Grayson there is no chemistry there.

3. Angela says:

SOOOO Happy Drop Dead Diva is coming back! Can’t wait to hear the air date! :)

4. Sidney says:

Yaaaay… Miracles do happen. Luv luv Owen. And hopefully Fred will be back.

5. jane.n.m. says:

I am soooooo!!!!!! happy that drop dead diva is coming back,i missed it so much.I did`nt even know that it was canceled,you just made my day.I hope it`s soon, very soon!
    jane s.m.

6. Deb says:

I like the twist with old Jane in Owen’s body. it will be interesting to explore issues of gender. but I feel bad for old Jane, not only is someone with a more feminine personality in her life, she’s a man! but Owen’s body isn’t going to live very long in that state of health with the heart problem.

7. Ely says:

Yayyyyyyyy soooooooo glad u listened to us fans!!!! I looove this showew!!!!

8. sherry says:

drop dead diva coming back just made my day, its the best series on tv. i am so happy happy, i wait all week just to see what happens next, whom ever brought it back– thank you thank you

9. Sally Sauter says:

THANK YOU – THANK YOU – THANK YOU!!!! I’m glad they are bringing it back. It is a good show where everyone is NOT a size 2! Is it any wonder today’s youth are misguided after watching most shows – The Client List especially – about how you have to be a size 2 to make it in the world? Thank you for bringing back Drop Dead Diva!!!

10. david says:

im super excited the DDD got picked back up for season five cause when i found out lifetime had cancelled it lifetime channel would have been locked from my life but now i can be at ease cuz drop season 5 is coming this summer i cant wait

11. Shannon says:

I just finished watching all 3 seasons on Netflix and love the show. I have to find season 4 somewhere. I thought Stacy told Grayson in Season 3 finale that Jane was Deb and he rushed to the airport to get on the plane about it. So shouldn’t Grayson already know Deb is Jane?

12. Shannon says:

I really like this show and both Jane/Deb benefit from their odd molding together. Deb gives Jane that spark of confidence and sense of fun and humor and accepting who you are and making the most out of it. Jane gives the brains taking away that ditzy blonde stereotype probably associated with a lot of people like DEB and they both have a sense of helping people and empathy. They both redeem each other in some way. I saw season 4 finale and why would real Jane think Deb/Jane is ruining her life? I thought DEB/Jane has put a lot of spark/light into Jane and has really grown to liking helping people. Real/Jane in heaven seems to have gained some confidence but still acts like a lawyer and a little cynical.

13. Sara4rmGUAM says:

Yay! I love this show… I was very upset when I saw the show was cancelled, but as a big fan I had hope and went online just to see if there would be a miracle that the show would come back… sure enough it is!

14. Oh, thank goodness!! This show deserves a 5th season. I can’t wait to see what happens next!!! Thank you, lifetime!!!

15. Diva-Jessa says:

Fred, who wasn’t able to stop old-Jane from hitting the return button, will once again be sent back to earth to help out/look after old-Jane…. giving him another chance with Stacey.

….. Just a thought. ;-)

16. MMCD says:

Thrilled!

17. CM says:

I want Jane and Grayson to be together! She may not be the same person but he realizes that there is more to someone than just blonde hair and long skinny legs. He truly loves Jane and always has, he just wouldn’t allow it to happen because he was still trying to find Deb in another women. He has told Jane so many times how “amazing” she is and Jane deserves to finally have the man of her dreams because he is in love with Jane now…not Deb! Yay…so glad this show is coming back! Just recently started watching the show and watched EVERY season back to back. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show!!!!

18. Nick says:

Can’t wait to see the fifth season!! Does anyone know when the air date is around?

19. Debbie scott says:

Oh thank you thank you I absolutely love this show best show on TV I am so excited I cannot wait I will be counting down the days to hours to minutes to seconds Drop Dead Diva I love you

20. Katrina says:

I’ve been waiting for the 5th season, and very happy it’s finally back. I have all 4 seasons on DVD and keep watching them over and over, can’t wait to see what happens to Jane and Grayson 😍

21. linda says:

me too thank goodness all of us fans spoke up and the writer is still writing i am so happy its coming back love this show
    but the only cliff hanger im worried about is when is it coming on ?????????

22. Ollie says:

I am so YAHHHHOOOOO… Go Jane and Grayson!

23. tracyallen837560983 says:

Thanks for the info! I’ve been so busy lately, I thought that maybe I had missed it. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next!

24. Lori says:

YAY! They have FINALLY come to their senses!! I can’t wait for DDD season 5!!

25. MARGARET GRIFFIN says:

I LOVE DROP DEAD DIVA PLEASE TELL ME IT IS COMING BACK AND WHEN???

26. Michelle says:

i have been looking for the show…thanks for bringing it back!!

27. Jason says:

just found this on netflix, It seems like everything my wife and I enjoy watching gets cancelled (Saving Grace, Being Erica, The Glades) and while I understand some things reach a natural end and would seem forced otherwise, I am very happy to hear that D.D.D. has another season of intelligent, funny, well acted entertainment in store for us!

28. ashwinlata says:

so so so happy that my favourite programme is uming back but wud so love to see ben feldman, he was my one of the best characters…………..congrats

29. Roxana says:

I love this show, I’m so happy they brought it back !!

30. Jenna says:

I just finished season 4 having no clue that this show was cancelled, I AM SO GLAD ITS BACK ON. I cant wait to see what happens

31. Audrey says:

So glad Drop Dead Diva is coming back. I live on a military base in Germany and this is one of the few shows I enjoy watching that I am able to get on the limited channels offerred on AFN network. I had already decided to boycott Lifetime because of the cancellation but now I am happy to say that I will continue to watch since DDD is back.

32. Joni says:

I am SO HAPPY THIS IS COMING BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON. It is the ONLY show I watch in the summertime. 1-3 were my favorite seasons, especially 3; 4 was my least favorite but I am sure hoping 5 is GREAT! Thank you for bringing it back! I want to see Jane get so upset she can’t eat and lose a bit it weight to see how she would handle it. I bet it would be totally fun.

33. Emily says:

so glad DDD will be back!! Now if we could only get Harry’s Law back!!!!

34. Kat Davis says:

Yay so glad this is coming back loved it!!!

35. kim says:

Soooo happy. I loved this show and looked forward to watching it.I wish it was on every night

36. P Marie says:

I was sooooo happy to learn of season 5 coming back to Lifetime. It is a wonderful show with so many twists and turns that I look forward to every episode. The cast of Drop Dead Diva is like a well tuned instrument. I have every season so far, and want to thank the powers that be for making so many of my friends and myself overjoyed! We are addicted!

37. Taichi says:

Excited much! Been checking for updates forever! I’ve missed it so much! Glad its on its way back…Hurry!!!

38. Debra hensley says:

Learning this…. just made my whole day !!!!!

39. Jerry says:

Should I be concerned that I’m a 54 year old married male who enjoys the show (ok, I love it) and am glad the show is coming back for another season? It beats “reality” shows.

40. Faropldg says:

Freddddd!! I will scream my lungs out if he does come back!

41. lab says:

Thank goodness! I have been so dissapointed with how things were left. Drop Dead is one of my favorite shows. I will be happy to see where they take the characters now.

42. Dawn Uman says:

I want Jane and Grayson together only because it shows that a sexy guy like grayson see’s past size and takes Jane for what she really is. Beautiful,smart, funny, and a great friend. Alot of people miss this because of size and color. How shallow ,how sad.

43. Anna yap may may says:

Pleeeeese. … let jane & grayson marry. Let him find out that jane is deb only after that n not before. Make it a happy ending please.

44. Cha says:

The last I heard Drop Dead Diva had been cancelled and was lamenting that while I was re-watching the first three Seasons on netflix.

Then my sister called me today from New York and said she saw a clip on Lifetime that it was coming back June 23rd! Talk about Resurrection! Amen!

It’s the best show imaginable. It’s entertaining and therapy!

When I read it had been cancelled.. there was an explanation from the new president of Lifetime who said, we want to go in a different direction. I’m like WHAT!?

Glad they decided to go our way.

45. claire says:

I just watched this on a streaming company and have to say I can’t wait! I want deb and Grayson back together how romantic! Bit can’t wait to see what happens with real jane. I think it will all get sorted and debs will have to leave….the guy who plays Grayson is great at cute n vulnerable, stacey has made me laugh my socks off, please get the guy who plays fred back xx

46. Rachel Mitchell says:

I cannot say how HAPPY and excited I am to hear Drop Dead Diva is coming back for a season 5!! I am so looking forward to watching the series and cannot wait to indulge in the intriguing and gripping story the series sounds to hold. AHHHHHH! Literally cannot wait and am counting down the days :D

47. Maya says:

Yeyyyy!!!! Can’t Waite to watch it again:)

48. Maria says:

Yea!!! I’m always checking this web site for news of DDD and its finally happened.!! I’m setting my DVR right now. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

49. BEA says:

Happy it’s back I like to watch ddd every once In a while and my mom loves it!