Time's Up: Zero Hour Cancelled by ABC

Zero Hour Cancelled By ABCWell, that lasted only a few seconds.

ABC has cancelled Zero Hour after three low-rated outings, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | 9 Network Shows on the Verge of Cancellation

The rookie conspiracy thriller’s Feb. 14 premiere drew 6.3 million total viewers and a 1.4 18-49 rating, making it ABC’s lowest-rated in-season scripted premiere ever. Episode 3 this Thursday sunk to 5 million viewers and a 1.0 rating.

The show will be pulled from the schedule, effective immediately. Encore episodes of Shark Tank will fill its slot for the next two weeks, then Wife Swap will take over the Thursdays-at-8 spot for seven weeks beginning March 21. Starting May 9, Wipeout will fill the hour.

The network has not yet announced when Zero Hour‘s remaining episodes will air.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the show’s passing.

1. Anonymous says:

So bad timeslots for networks:

NBC: Thursdays at 10/9C (hopefully Hannibal will change that)
    ABC: Thursdays at 8/7C and Sundays at 10/9C
    CBS: Not sure, as I don’t really watch CBS except for Hawaii 5-0, but I think the Fridays at 8/7C are kind of bad for them
    FOX: Not really sure, Mondays used to be bad, but now they have a hit with The Following I guess?
    CW: Tuesdays at 9/8C

I don’t really count Fridays.
    ——-

When will these networks have hits in their troubling timeslots?

2. Big D says:

I wanted to like Zero Hour but the first episode was so bad that I knew it couldn’t survive more than another week or two. I’m glad I only wasted one hour on it.

3. Bradley says:

It seems like networks aren’t having any luck with their midseason premieres (with the exception of a few shows). Will this possibly be the end of midseason premieres? With more and more shows bombing, I’m worried about the future of Network television as a whole. NBC needs to turn it around again!

4. Peggy Souris says:

Yes, I am upset about the cancelling of Zero Hour. The first episode was a little hard to follow, but the second was better and last nights episode was really getting interesting., Now what are we to do,. ABC is the reason I watch a lot of public television.
    Let us see the rest of the series, then if it’s not good enough, you can cancel, but leave
    your viewers in the unknown like you have, it’s really disgusting Booooooo ABC.,

5. gg031 says:

And yet… NBC would kill for numbers like that right now. I didn’t watch it since I had V-day plans and then heard it wasn’t very good so I never caught up. I hope Cappie has time to jump on a pilot for next season!

6. Suzi says:

Of course, another show that I like. And replace it with stupid reality shows.

7. Barbara says:

please ABC…do not stick a reality shows into the empty slot….too many new shows starting in the second half of the year…just too many to deal with..and/or enjoy :(

8. give me back my show.

9. TVDIVA says:

I hope I can get a refund on my season pass for the episodes not shown. I have to admit, I tried to watch the third episode and had to turn it off after a few minutes. It was that bad.

10. Randi Marshall says:

Its so sad that a show that makes you think is once again canceled after only 3 episodes. Valentines day for the premiere, really? And 8pm slot? What are the execs thinking? I do hope the remained king episodes are made available. I’d like to see them. But reality show? God save us. Just what we need. More dumbing down of America

11. Kate says:

Noooo! Loved Zero Hour, so nice to see Anthony Edwards again, I hope they let the season finish!

12. Tran says:

Why not bring Wipeout back? It hasn’t been on the air over the Summer.

13. Naturally Curlie says:

This show reminded me of LOST going on and on and on and….well you get the idea and never having a satisfactory conclusion. Exercise in futility. So what’s the point? I watched a part of the first episode and switched it off.

14. TV Gord says:

ABC needs to put a show on Thursdays at 8 called, “Go Ahead, Don’t Watch!”

• the8tregirl says:

TRUE!! However, there will be six million people who DO watch, who will have their hearts broken after 2 weeks, and we’ll be back despising programming cowards.

15. Toni says:

ABC is looking for something that’s not there. They just won’t get viewers at that hour. I could quite literally watch every network that hour. The Vampire Diaries is CWs baby and is doing well. American Idol is airing non-results shows (I’d be willing to skip results but not real shows) and NBC and CBS both have reputable comedies on that hour. What do they want? They keep trying to get that “LOST” magic but they aren’t letting people get invested and they are asking too much! Did they check online viewership and Dvr? I bet it’s fairly high.

• Terry says:

“Lost” magic? LOL, Lost lasted so long I actually lost track of what was going on,,,,,,, with all the plot twist, ect.. Don’t even remember how that ended, good grief!!

16. boblosan says:

I’m in the wrong age group, and I’m darned tired of shows I like being cancelled. I haven’t had a real chance to see if I liked this one yet, but I know I liked several others that my family and I watched and they were pulled off the air suddenly and replaced with CRAP!

17. Erin says:

Someone please cast Cappie in something that doesn’t suck!

18. courtland says:

hmmmm…so howd this work out for ya abc? maybe ya shouldve just let last resort stay…was making at least better ratings then this show did.

19. Drizz says:

Zero Hour, Last Resort, The River, 666 Park Avenue, Pan Am, Don’t Trust the B in Apt 23… every damn thing I start watching on ABC gets cancelled. They especially seem to like denying dramas time to build up a following. I will not be trying any new ABC shows in the Fall. Congrats on losing a viewer, I guess it’s back to crap reality shows on ABC. They are getting as bad as FOX for cancelling shows.
    I wish networks would at the very damn LEAST make all the produced episodes of these shows available on iTunes so those of us that want to see all that was made can see them. Wouldn’t they like my money for the shows they bothered to spend money to make?
    I would certainly buy all unseen eps of Zero Hour, 666, Apt 23, The Playboy Club, Ben and Kate, etc.

20. noone says:

I just want to say, fck you ABC. I hope your network fails.

21. Walter says:

It seems like every midseason series is getting low ratings and a quick cancellation. This fall could be a bloodbath. The big networks clearly need to do something different. Maybe we actually don’t need all of them.

22. Carol Wyatt says:

Why do these networks always pull good programs? You get to really liking the show then it’s gone. I’m so mad.

23. Joan Emery says:

It was just getting started…I dislike most of what is placed on TV, but was watching this…put some trash on ABC…I will just continue to not watch at all.

24. Boiler says:

We again see ABC’s devotion to quality TV by putting Wife Swap and Shark Tank as replacements. Hopefully people move to shows on other networks instead of watching these but i suppose not likely.

• MaryAnn says:

I don’t watch “reality” television of any sort, with the sole exception of “Dancing With the Stars,” and no comedy. Putting any sort of reality tv in that slot just simplifies my life. I have less to watch later, and will have to worry about “Vampire Diaries.”

25. Ponkle says:

I just told someone to watch it since it was the first good show in years so of course cancelled.

26. Eleftheria Tsapelis says:

I am just so pissed, I loved to watch “Zero Hour,“ and one more thing how can they just pull it off the air before its conclusion. Seriously “Wife swap?“

27. MaryAnn says:

Well, I saw the first hour of “Red Widow” and really liked it. So I plan to watch. But I noticed something very interesting. They only shot eight hours. That makes me hopeful that they will air all of the episodes. Maybe that should be the new trend? Give spring series 6-8 hours so that they can air all of the episodes shot without losing a lot of money. Make more spring series. Then if any of them actually have decent ratings, renew them for fall.

28. mrspeel2 says:

I was really enjoying this program, so it’s very disheartening that they’d just yank it without at least trying it out in another time slot! And to add insult to injury they can’t even have the decency finish up the storyline? Very disappointing to say the least!

29. phil says:

is the show monday mornings on tnt still a running series

30. Jeff says:

Doesn’t everyone realize that quality scripted series on network TV are becoming a dying breed? Unfortunately, the financial bottom line is the ultimate decision maker for broadcast networks.

As long as the masses flock to reality/competition/unscripted garbage – that’s produced for peanuts – those ratings will always outpace shows with actual plots, actors, production values that cost more to make. Ad revenue is based on those eyeballs watching what’s onscreen, and the bulk of the coveted demographics are too busy/lazy/uneducated/uninterested to invest time and keep up with a scripted show that requires they pay attention and follow along.

In ten years, I’ll be surprised if there are any decent scripted shows – especially non-procedural dramas – remaining on network TV. Anything worth watching that requires half a brain or an attention span longer than 15 minutes will probably all be on cable.

31. N says:

I loved the one about Einstein!

32. SuZQ says:

Why can’t the networks give shows a chance to get established!! Good grief! Things take time to catch on and gain a supportive following. Usually it’s the shows that take time to develop a following that are the greatest and are great many years after they have gone off the air.
    The ones that get a huge audience right away aren’t always great in the long run or have quality content.
    There is such a world climate of “instant success” nowadays with everything that if something starts slow – doesn’t matter if it could be great – it gets the axe.

These are just symptoms of deeper issues at work…

33. the8tregirl says:

Dear ABC, CBS, NBC

I write this to all three of you, even though at the moment I’m most concerned with “Zero Hour”.

I do not watch Reality TV on your networks. A) it’s not real and B) it’s NOT REAL!. They are all stupid, inane, edited to play like fiction and generally misanthropic. I do watch “reality” tv on cable networks like HGTV and Food Network because one can actually learn something from watching those shows, even if the editing is sometimes providential.

When I do watch a so-called broadcast show, I watch on your websites. That would be 2 on ABC, 1 on CBS and 1 on NBC. Given the ads on the evening news shows, I don’t even watch those any more, barring serious situations, and this despite Scott Pelley’s abs.

I want to watch engaging dramas and amusing comedies. As you seem to be unwilling to support many, if any, of those for more than 2 weeks, I will mostly stick with the Comedy Network, TCM, my DVD collection and a wide variety of books.

I recognize that your operating attitude will not change, but you might want to consider this: the desired 18-49 demo is NOT watching engaging dramas and amusing comedies in the numbers you crave but there is a good sized, reasonably well-off potential audience for shows like these. If you can sell adverts for the evening news targeted for THAT audience, why not attempt to do the same thing for shows like “Zero Hour”? Or perhaps follow the USA and TNT (amongst others) model of shorter run series which can be re-newed with enough interest, or dropped without it, but complete in and of themselves.

You’re all sinking. Find better life preservers than “Celebrity Wife Swap”. Please.

Formerly Yours,

34. robin says:

I liked the show! Let the season finish!!

35. Barbara Darlin says:

Networks: Why should we EVER invest in a new show?!?

36. davej says:

A little disappointed but not surprised. After already seeing 2 new Apostles, I thought, “where are we going to go after season 1? Will there be a new clock each week?”

To me, this show was a great idea for a mini-series but not for a series running over several years. I had the same opinion of the Ashley Judd series last year.

Too many new shows are starting the same way. They are set up for immediate impact but don’t leave room for growth other than pushing the cliffhanger ending further back. When that happens, I feel like I am getting played and I quit the show.

• Mark says:

I agree with you about shows not planning beyond the 1st season. Hero’s is the best example of that. That 1st season is ART them after that you could tell they had no idea what to do next. I feel the same way about Revenge and Desperate Housewives. The 1st seasons were great, then they just made it up as they went along – with no direction. Zero Hour would wind up the mystery at the end of this season and then next season there would be a whole new mystery. This is set up by the fact that Hank publishes a magazine about mysteries. One of my favorite parts of this weeks episode was when they showed the locust clock. “The locust that eats time”. Vincent was the best actor. His scenes were great. But during the tussle with Hank, his contact fell out, right? Then Beck started shooting at him. When they had their confrontation through the door his eyes were both colored again. HHHMMM….

37. John Moshier says:

quit putting on this serialize shows and then cancel them at least finish it off some were during break

38. JT says:

Dammit ABC it was a good show. Urgh! Why do these networks always cancel things I like.

39. phoofy cat says:

Do they count recorded shows. We ALWAYS
    record Everything. Getting tired of cookie cutter
    sit coms. And tired if reality shows.
    ByeBye ABC.

40. Scott says:

This is why the UK TV show model works so much better. Using seasons only 6-8 episodes long means less money is tied up in advance, and if a show bombs they will still screen it out. None of this 1 or 2 or 3 episodes and yanked rubbish. I’ve over new series too. Cult probably won’t last the season either I guess – although I’m not sure if the CW has the funds to stockpile unaired product.

41. kmlach says:

REALLY!!!! Not again. This was such a good show and was just getting good. Its amazing to me….not every show has to be for the brain dead. I actually like a show that isn’t so obvious and may require at least a little thinking on the viewers part. So sad, really.

42. David P. Graf says:

And they cancelled “The Last Resort” in favor of this show. What was ABC thinking????

43. mollylx says:

The American viewing public likes fluffy crap. American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, The Bachelor. They are all too ADD to watch a show that actually requires some thought and attention.

44. Rita says:

Our 9 year old came home rom school on Friday with a book about Einstein. Gee don’t think he would ever bring home a book about a reality show. Shame on you ABC.

45. JBC says:

I watched the pilot and didn’t like Zero Hour, so didn’t tune in again. However, I sympathize with others who did like the show and don’t see why the network couldn’t let the episodes already filmed to air.
    A great show called Traveler aired a few years ago and it was an edge of your seat, well acted, interesting story. It had 8 episodes aired for the first season and they cancelled it. It ended on a cliffhanger. The show runner graciously wrote an article about the future episodes/seasons and finished telling the story, giving the fans a satisfying ending.
    (Check it out on YouTube if you are interested, all 8 eps are there and then you can look up the online article too.)

46. Sarah says:

I called it as soon as I watched the first one and liked it. So tired of reality show. I want to excape reality not watch a made for tv reality show. My tv show list is getting smaller and smaller. I don’t watch much anything regulary on NBC anymore except Days of Our Lives. Looks like ABC is going to get that way too.

47. JAO says:

We liked the show. It kept getting better & deserved a chance. I want to know what happens ! This does it. I’m not watching a new show unless its renewed.

48. TrulyRoxie says:

This is exactly why I don’t like to start watching new shows. I get hooked, can’t wait to see what’s going to happen, and bam. They cancel it. I’m sure they’ll replace it with some sort of reality tv shlock.

49. E.C. says:

I liked it, and every episode was getting better – with the parents being introduced, I thought it was about to get more interesting. ABC should just not other starting shows if it won’t give them a chance past three episodes.

50. Jeffery says:

It’s not surprising that ABC would kill this show. I give them credit for bringing a show that makes you think (like this one and Flash Forward), that challenges conventional ideas (like Last Resort), or that puts a new spin on things (like PanAm). But looking at those series, I am not surprised that ABC cancelled them – not because of ratings, but because it’s ABC. For some reason, ABC has never been able to attract the kind of audience that enjoys these shows in good enough numbers. Perhaps it’s the writing. Perhaps it’s the time slot. Perhaps it’s the flawed ratings system itself and the fact that many people watch these shows on their DVRs, Hulu, or on demand. What DID surprise me is the decision to pull it completely off the air. Okay, fine; cancel the series for a second season. But at least let us watch the rest of this first season and let them end it (like they did Last Resort and Flash Forward). But as someone said earlier, it’s a business decision. That those who actually DID watch the show don’t want to be left hanging is ignored and unimportant. They only care if the show had good enough ratings. It’s a sad way to approach TV decisions, and it reflects the business minded nature of the industry.