It's True: Drop Dead Diva Cheats Death, Scores Season 5 Renewal From Lifetime

Get More: Renewals

dddThe diva still has a pulse!

Six weeks after Lifetime pulled the plug on Drop Dead Diva, the network has renewed the dramedy for a fifth season.

PHOTOS | 25 Shows We’d Remake or Revive Now

According to our sister site Deadline, which first broke the news, Diva‘s producer Sony TV came up with a more feasible “financial model” for the show, paving the way for Lifetime’s about-face.

Thoughts? Are you enjoying this TV’s new un-cancellation trend (see also AMC’s The Killing, Fox’s Breaking In, etc)?

Comments (85)

• I WANT TO BELIEVE

Comment by GingerTaylah – March 1, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Yes! Yessss!

Comment by Asia Kovarsky – March 1, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What Asia said!!!!! Whoooo Hooo!!!!

Comment by Chloe – March 1, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes yesnyesni live my summer shows and this is one of them!!!

Comment by Mimi – March 26, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MICHAEL! Please tell me you’ve heard something about a Bunheads renewal. I need more Boo in my life!

Comment by Sam – March 1, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! I love Boo, and Bunheads, and also Bailey Buntain the Blonde Bunhead, too!

Comment by J – March 1, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHHH!! I want to get my hopes up! I doooo!

Comment by slizabeth – March 1, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That would be the best thing I heard all day!!!

Comment by Heather – March 1, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I skipped “the network…” This is great! I was almost afraid another obscure network would take it up, but I know Lifetime would do it justice!!! Let them wrap it up, at least!

Comment by slizabeth – March 1, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My life is fulfilled again! I know there are more important things in life than some TV show but my life is miserable enough and I need a little sunshine in it and DDD is that sunshine.

Comment by Gleena – March 1, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really ecstatic about this! Drop Dead Diva has been my substitute for Ally McBeal for way too long to let it die on a cliffhanger! Best news of the week as far as I’m concerned!

Comment by whisperintherain – March 1, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn. Such a shame.

Comment by Unfortunate – March 1, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Drop Dead Diva has been renewed! It’s a wonderful show, and I love all the characters! Thank You!

Comment by Brette O'Connell – March 1, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, really hoping they do something to wrap up the show – even it’s just a TV movie sort of thing.

Comment by LV – March 1, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so HAPPY about this!!!!!

Comment by Margie Rife – March 1, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happiness doesn’t even begin to describe.

Comment by May – March 1, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now it is time for Fringe

Comment by Lorena – March 1, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy and can’t wait to watch as long as they don’t bring Kim karthrasian back!

Comment by Vanessa – March 1, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lord Bless me in the morning I am so Happy!!!

Comment by Bradster – March 1, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Best news!!!! Can’t wait to see Jane, Grayson, Fred and Stacy again!!! Now for Emily Owens!!!

Comment by hburgess – March 1, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we uncancel Wonderfalls? No? Damn.

Comment by David4 – March 1, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Pushing Daisies?

Comment by Eliza – March 1, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Dirty Sexy Money?

Comment by Harriet – March 1, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Gilmore Girls?

Comment by May – March 1, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Reaper?

Comment by Ram510 – March 1, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and Life? Black Donnely’s?

Comment by Becca Porter – March 1, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Dead Like Me while we’re at it?

Comment by Marco – March 2, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Square Pegs?

Comment by Delia – March 4, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Shake it Up?

Comment by FallerWanderer – November 4, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news!

Comment by kam – March 1, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they make itI hope they make it right this time, after they did last season it didn’t deserve another one right this time, after they did last season it didn’t deserve another one

Comment by Monse Foster – March 1, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An answer to my prayers. I really hoped this show would continue, at least until we get a satisfying ending.

Comment by Shar – March 1, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy! I hate when Lifetime brings on these awesome shows then cancels them! I miss Against The Wall :-(

Comment by Katie Hicks – March 1, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved against the Wall. So much better than Army Wives which won’t go away.

Comment by jsswite – March 4, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Army Wives is an amazing show. It deserves to go on and on. But maybe it is only good to us that live that life. Not everyone can be so strong.

Comment by Angel (Marine Corps Wife) – March 12, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. BEST. NEWS. EVER.

Comment by Babybop – March 1, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. Love Drop Dead Diva.

Comment by ChicagoGrrl – March 1, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Confessions of She and commented:
    This is a thought.

Comment by oa – March 1, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. I am so glad they did this. I hope they forget that whole Jane coming back in Owen’s body thing. Let that have been a dream or something….Please.

Comment by MJ – March 1, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever!

Comment by Omar – March 1, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really happy about this!

Comment by Eliza – March 1, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Un-cancel The LA Complex please!!!!!

Comment by Mandy – March 1, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woooooooooo hooooooooooooooo!!

Comment by Bobbi – March 1, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Urgh. Now we have to see more fat people on TV? She should just join The Biggest Loset.

Comment by Jon – March 1, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously!? This?

Comment by Ribac – March 1, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s an idea. Don’t watch. You might want to enroll in sensitivity training instead.

Comment by Chloe – March 1, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nobody is going to force you to watch it. What is the biggest loset? Also, please post a picture of your perfect self so that we can bask in the glory that is your perfection.

Comment by Hmmmm – March 1, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d rather watch more “fat people” on TV than read stupid comments by fatheads like you.

Comment by Gwen – March 1, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now THAT was just MEAN.

Comment by Madeleine – March 18, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the show finally glad Lifetime came around. Now if only TBS or someone could pick up The Wedding Band. Love that little show.

Comment by vi1715 – March 1, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right?? I wish Wedding Band would come back from the dead…

Comment by Babybop – March 1, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know it was canceled but I was scared it was cause I kept seeing Owen showing up everywhere but at least when I found out it was with the news that it was coming back. I love Drop Dead Diva and Lifetime the least you could do is at least finish the story and not just leave us hanging!!!

Comment by Lana – March 1, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news I’ve gotten in a while. Make it great and bring on Jane!!! I was absolutely crushed when it was cancelled- can’t wait!!!

Comment by Andrew McGill – March 1, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!!! And I love networks changing their minds! Shows a much more flexible era we’re in

Comment by mia – March 1, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show has really gone downhill, but I’m a masochist that would watch again just hoping it’ll get a better ending than the season finale they were leaving off on.

Comment by Tee – March 1, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woooo! So excited! I adore this show and was so disappointed when Lifetime canceled it. So glad it’s coming back! I can’t wait! :D

Comment by dreamr – March 1, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY!!!! All the hard work paid off, can’t wait for Season 5!

Comment by Nonna – March 1, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MOST DEFINITELY!!!!! Doing the happy dance here LOL

Comment by Su – March 1, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish this would happen for so many of the other show that were randomly or prematurely cancelled!!

Comment by A – March 1, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo!!! Yes!!!

Comment by Ana – March 1, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaaay!!! Wonderful news!! Confused by people who think this is horrible. I mean, it’s Lifetime, what’s it going to replace, another repeat of Dance Moms? Even if you hate the show, I think there’s enough room on the schedule for the rest of us to enjoy it.

Comment by Christy – March 1, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy shades of Unforgettable Batman! Another show rises from the dead. :)

Comment by TVDIVA – March 1, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, yay! I love this show!

Comment by Spencer – March 1, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! If any show could come back from the dead, it would be this show. ;)

Comment by Brendan – March 2, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you thank you! I missed my show!!

Comment by jjenmak@gmail.com – March 4, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is diva coming back? I hate all the crap we have to go thru to see our favorite programs. Why did you really let Claudia Joy go?

Comment by vklosowski@yahoo.com – March 19, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sooooooooo glad they renewed Drop Dead Diva .I really like that show, it’s one of my favorites

Comment by Cindy – March 30, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I’ve been wondering where the show has been. Can’t wait for the next season to begin!

Comment by Tallblondemom – April 3, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to know when the premier is!! I love that show. Not many I like anymore but this one is entertaining.

Comment by Carol – April 3, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post