One Day at a Time's Bonnie Franklin Dead at 69

Bonnie Franklin Dead at 69One Day at a Time matriarch Bonnie Franklin died Friday following a battle with pancreatic cancer, which she was diagnosed with in September, The Associated Press reports. She was 69.

Since ending her nine-season run as divorcée/single mom Ann Romano on CBS’ groundbreaking One Day at a Time, Franklin guested on series such as Touched By an Angel, Hot in Cleveland and, most recently, The Young and the Restless.

Her pre-One Day credits included appearances on The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Munsters and Please Don’t Eat the Daisies.

Franklin last April reunited with One Day at a Time castmates Valerie Bertinelli, Mackenzie Phillips, Pat Harrington Jr, and Glenn Scarpelli at the TV Land Awards, where the sitcom was honored with the Innovator Award. Watch video from that event here:

1. Cindy says:

She made me laugh…RIP

2. Bobbi says:

I had not heard she was sick, so this was a shock. Loved her in One Day At A Time. Very sad to see her go so soon.

3. Anna says:

Sad News. I loved One Day at a Time. It was very rare to see divorced single moms on t.v. back when that show first aired.

4. Judy Russell says:

Thanks for the laughs………RIP

5. Carrie says:

So sad. Seems like all the stars of my childhood sitcoms are going. Diff’rent Strokes, The Jeffersons, Taxi, Facts of LIfe…#feelingold

6. TV Gord says:

It’s interesting to me that she is the first person from One Day At A Time to die. 29 years after the show ended, that’s saying something. Even Nanette Fabray is still alive at 92.

I’ve seen pancreatic cancer up close, and it’s a horrible way to die, not to mention a horrible way to live. I’m relieved that her suffering is over, but what a loss.

7. Linda Z says:

She fought to make One Day at a Time more than just a sitcom. RIP Bonnie Franklin

8. Annie says:

Very sad news. I freaking hate cancer. I’d like to punch cancer in the freaking throat.

9. Pat says:

So very sad. Reminder to each of us to live each precious moment!

10. Gloria says:

God bless Bonnie, RIP. PC shouldn’t happen to anyone,You will be missed.

11. LeeAnn says:

The Character of “Ann Romano” showed women that you can raise a family and have a career on your own without a man in the house. Granted, it is always easier when both parents are there and helping to raise their children, but whether it be because of death or a bad marriage, this series proved that women can be independant.

I know it was watched in our house as my Mom raised my brother and I and she worked hard while sending us to private school and still being able to buy a house.

Rest in Peace Bonnie Franklin. May your family, friends and loved ones have peace in knowing you served your craft well and left your mark !

12. Jan1 says:

Wow, this makes me sad. RIP

13. N says:

Very sad……RIP

14. Valora S. says:

Watched her show every week. Seems towards the end of the run, she got married–but KEPT HER OWN NAME. Loved that!! I was saddened to learn of her diagnosis and I knew it was only a matter of time. PC is a very scary cancer as there is NO test to diagnose it until more that likely it’s too late (although a teenager won a science contest last year developing a test for pc–hope it works for those in the future). Thank you Bonnie!! Rest in peace.

15. Ana says:

This is tragic. Ann Romano was like everybody’s mom. She was so cool and loving and funny. What a loss… RIP…

16. Lana says:

I adored One Day at a Time and loved Bonnie Franklin and this news made me cry but knew it was going to happen when I heard about her having PC. Its what took my beloved Patrick Swayze away too, and I don’t think its a cancer you can beat. Bonnie played a single divorced mother when it was just starting to happen around the country and she showed how it could be done with dignity, tears and lots of laughter and I never missed that show. It helped alot of women who were about to go through that to realize their world was not ending, that it would get better and their kids could survive a divorce and come out great thanks to their newly single Mom.

17. Nancey says:

I loved her show. Always made me laugh. Smart writing and great acting by all.