Vampire Diaries Hot Shots: Damon Remembers His Hard-Partying, 1970s New York City Ways

When The CW’s The Vampire Diaries returns on March 14, humanity-free Elena will be doing regular teenage stuff: partying, cheerleading and not shedding a tear over yet another Mystic Falls memorial.

But the following week is when the fun really starts because Damon takes her to New York City, and that brings on flashbacks to when he lived/partied there in the 1970s — and had a complicated encounter with Lexi (guest star Arielle Kebbel)! As exec producer Julie Plec tells TVLine, it’s a time “when he wasn’t necessarily at his best.”

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Boss Reveals Why She Killed Off [Spoiler]! Plus: Scoop on Elena’s New ‘Happy Place,’ Bonnie’s ‘Visions’ and More!

Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts on this query: Is the last shot of Damon in flashback or the present?

1. Cris says:

L’ha ribloggato su Nuovi Vampirie ha commentato:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

2. ollie says:

yay lexie is back. regarding last pic I say past not present.

3. Lexi says:

It’s the past…Look at his jacket in the Lexi still and this one and the present one on the street…

4. Amanda says:

It’s past. Remember lexi couldn’t walk in the sun. Maybe Damon turned her lol. We dont know how she became a vampire in the first place.

5. Sara says:

So that leaves Stefan and Caroline at home? :) I like it!

6. sara says:

How is Lexie out in the sun?!

7. dude says:

Gotta love a good Rebekah/Damon episode.

8. MaryAnn says:

Sorry, I really just can’t stand the idea of an Elena who has her emotions turned off. The plot didn’t need to go in that direction. It would have made so much more sense to have helped her through it without that complete emotional void. Sorry, I feel that we have lost our main character, and even if she gets her emotions back, she will never be the same, because of the guilt. I guess that was just one more time Damon made the choice for what HE thought was best for her rather than what she wanted. If she doesn’t completely reject him when she finally gets her emotions back (if she ever does), Elena’s character will be completely unrealistic. So since we all know that Damon is not leaving, I suspect future episodes will be plot driven rather than character driven, and continue to create inconsistent characterizations..

• Elisa says:

Elena couldn’t handle what was happening. IMO, Damon showed her mercy, he acted out of love. If I lost my last living relative, I’d be a complete and utter wreck and begging for the pain to stop.
      Elena feels grief more acutely, she would have broken. At least this way she’s pulled out the proverbial ‘deep end’.

• Kristen says:

While I agree that I don’t think making Elena humanity-free was the best idea (I mean really, it’s just Katherine 2.0), I can at least appreciate why it happened. I don’t think Damon’s motives were at all selfish. Even Stefan didn’t think it was the worst idea. I don’t think Stefan would’ve done the same thing to be honest. Not meaning he would want her to suffer, but I think Stefan sees Elena having more strength than Damon gives her credit for. I don’t mean that in a bad way. Damon just wants to fix everything for her, make it easy. Stefan has gone down that path, and he had finally reached the point where respecting Elena’s choices was more important. I don’t think that means there’s less love from either brother. I just think it shows how different they are. They both love her in their own capacity. Right now Damon just wants to be the answer to all of Elena’s problems. I think turning off her humanity is going to backfire on him eventually, but I don’t blame him for doing it.

• Faster says:

We haven’t even seen her without her humanity yet, so let’s just chill out and watch before jumping to conclusions. From a writing standpoint, her loss of humanity was the only thing that was going to move this story forward and away from the stupid cure storyline which was completely unrealistic through and through (in that no one questioned the consequences, no one questioned the effect of taking the cure, etc.). And let’s face it – Elena’s character has been lost somewhere along the way, so it will be nice to see her acting for herself once again. And I don’t at all think Elena will now be like Katherine. I don’t understand why people say that – the only way these two women are similar is in their appearance. No two people are exactly alike, and people only equate them for the obvious reasons. Katherine and Elena are completely different, and I don’t see how they wouldn’t continue to be completely different people even Elena’s emotions turned off. In addition, Julie Plec herself stated that Elena and Katherine were compete opposites, and I assume that will be clear in her writing as this show progresses.

• Cathy O. says:

I agree with what you said about Damon. Julie stated that Katherine and Elena will be very different. We will be able to tell them apart because Katherine is a manipulator and lies about everything whereas Elena will be brutally hones about what she is sayingt.

9. Shaun says:

That looks like a different actress….the girl from White Collar maybe.

• no she’s from 90210 and she played Vanessa. She was also in John Tucker Must Die and American Pie Band Camp. she has been on vampire diaries before as lexie, her hair is just a little darker.

10. Alex says:

The last shot is a flashback, because if you look at the one with him and Lexi he’s wearing a black leather jacket with those button thing-ys but in the present it’s a brown one so the last one of Damon is a flashback

11. Babybop says:

I’m liking that this slideshow is just a bunch of pictures of Ian Somerhalder. I’m so ready for this episode if it’s Damon centric.

12. TV Fan says:

I just love the fact that Ellen has hardly been in school but yet she can still be a cheerleader. LOL

13. Danielle H. says:

The last one is from the flashback….and OMFG #12 took my breath away. How damn hot was Damon in the 70s!??!?

14. Joy says:

Anybody remember Lexi is dead?

15. Cathy O. says:

I was reading recently (forgot the link) that the Stefan/Elena/Damon storyline will wrap up in the final three episodes (21-23). I sincerely hope so because I can’t take too much more of the sire bond and Silas.

16. Cathy O. says:

Also I just read that in next week’s episode 16 that Elena and Caroline are going to get in a brawl. I don’t know what it will be about but I am willing to bet that the fact that Caroline told Stefan about Elena sleeping with Damon will be addressed as well as Caroline’s negativity about Damon in general. If that’s the case, I hope Elena really kicks her behind. Caroline has a lot of nerve being judgmental when she has feelings for Klaus. No one’s judging her on that. Anyway, I hope I am right on what the brawl is about because it would be nice to see someone standing up for Damon for a change.

Also this is what I don’t get. Stefan, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt and even Jeremy all knew how Elena felt about Damon when she was human, so why the huge surprise when she confessed to having feelings for Damon and she and Stefan breaking up because of it? What does the sire bond have to do with that?

17. Candice says:

I like the “vampire” Elena SO MUCH better than the boring, whiny, moody/depressing, “which hottie brother should I choose”, mumbling, human Elena.

I actually quit watching for awhile because she drives me crazy being such a downer and dragging the brothers and the ENTIRE town down. Yet I get so excited when the doppelganger vamp twin comes to town to grapple with boring Elena! I say KEEP her a Vamp and see if she can “wake up” and DO something with this character. I watch the show to see the cute guys and their vampy smiles (not that we get to see their fangs much).
    I think this show has a lot of untapped potential and other than Klause, whom I find myself rooting for now, the show is flat-lining. The best episode is when Klauses sister (can’t remember her name…) had the players around the table forcing the TRUTH out! Loved that one!!!

18. Cathy O. says:

OMG! TVD is finally returning this week. I dread the hiatuses and I can’t wait to see the new Elena!

19. vannesa180 says:

i think its good to see a different side of elena for once…and im so glad elena beat caroline..

20. Cathy O. says:

Another hiatus after episode 18. What is going on?!!!!!!!!!

21. Cathy O. says:

Not sure what this means but I just saw this on youtube.com.
    —————–
    Spoilers 4×17 . . . . . DELENA SEX in 4×17 there will be a great fight between Damon and Elena on a roof but it will end in sex ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ “Elena returns from New York with a new emphasis on her and Damon’s relationship, which will be put under further strain when Silas reveals a dark secret to Bonnie. (4×18)”