Sons of Anarchy Scoop: Jimmy Smits Returning Full-Time in Season 6

Get More: Casting News

Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers Nero and GemmaSons of Anarchy is making Jimmy Smits a full-time member.

TVLine has learned that Smits — who joined the FX smash last season as gangbanger-turned-”companionator” Nero — is not only returning in Season 6, but will appear in all 13 episodes.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers: Find Out Who Will (and Won’t) Be Back!

In December, series creator Kurt Sutter told TVLine that he was anxious to further examine the relationship between Nero and Katey Sagal’s Gemma, but noted that Smits’ busy schedule could be an obstacle.

“I dig [them],” said the boss. “In the finale, when he’s all twisted up about being back in the life, that’s the thing that makes Gemma the most comfortable. She knows what to do with those kinds of men; she knows how to be strong for those kinds of men. So, what does that look like? It’s a culture clash that we haven’t explored yet. To plug her into that world, which is traditionally somewhat misogynistic, could be interesting to see played out a little bit and to see what that looks like. I’d love to keep that going.”

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on Television Right Now

Despite being signed for all episodes produced in Season 6, Smits won’t technically be billed as a series regular.

SOA, which currently stands as FX’s highest-rated series ever, is slated to start production on Season 6 in early summer ahead of a fall 2013 launch.

Comments (130)

• I am so happy that Jimmy Smits is going to be a series regular. Happy for SOA fans. I love the show.

Comment by Bobbi – February 28, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hook me up please with the dvd set. I been so hooked on the SOA since it started. Loves the crew all the way from Gisborne. NZ. Keep it up peoples and keep it coming

Comment by Penelope – February 28, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the fact that jimmy is back!! Nero and Gemma have the best chemistry on the show. I loved him on Dexter too.
    I really don’t like Tara. She irks me.
    Can’t wait til the fall, I need me some sons sooner rather than later!!

Comment by Jenn – March 1, 2013 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ want to see Clay back on top makes the show more interesting this isn’t about how we sell girl scout cookies , i hope he come back with a vein gens and kicks jaxs ass ..

Comment by Richie – March 1, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does season 6 start

Comment by Summer – March 1, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news for the show! And great actor… Can’t wait

Comment by Joelle – March 1, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hallo, een trouwe fan uit Nederland ( geboren in Zuid America ).Heb inmiddels ook seizoen 1 t/m 4 aangeschaft.
    Geweldige serie. Tara is mijn favoriet!!!. Blij de horen dat seizoen 6 eraan komt.

Comment by Ivy Marion Meeuwisse – March 2, 2013 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A year with NO SOA is really bad! Come on let’s get the show rolling.. Absence does Not make the heart grow fonder!

Comment by Ali Gal – March 3, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sons of anarchy is currently the best show on tv, bar none!! brilliant writing and acting. may it continue for years

Comment by pr63 – March 5, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree what is all the talk about bringing OP back. He’s dead you morans! I do agree he was killed off way to soon but thats the way it was written so we all have to move on.

Comment by Peggy Drexel – March 5, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would really like to see the character zobel/sobel, the guy who owned the cigar shop get taken out for all the trouble and problems he caused the club and jemma and for cowardly leaving the country and his dead daughters body behind like a dead rat.

Comment by soa fan – March 10, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 21st Cenury Soprano’s. An incredible mix of characters punctuated by the many twists and turns of a moving diagram of the life!

Comment by Peter Michael Dedes (@pmdedes) – March 13, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t waite to see season 6, I love the show and never miss it.

Comment by Terry – March 15, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omgsh, can it be fall already?!?! Gahhhh…. I can’t keep watching all 5 seasons over and over again just to please my SOA withdrawals… I need season 6 nowwwwww!!!!!! And can they please not do anything to my Juicey?!?! I would die. Opie was toooo much for me… if anything happened to my Juice I would lose my mind. Btw… I know Clay deserves everything that’s coming to him, but God, oh, God, I loved that man.

Comment by Crystal – March 20, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See I agree with most of you guys they need to bring Opie back. I love the show so much. I so cannot wait til mid may.I am so ready for it. I so love my Jax’s. also my Tiggs. But for the ladies,is Gemma and Tara. But I also agree with some of you guys they need to at least, go up to season eight.

Comment by Dannielle Benton – March 21, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i will kill the soa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by jason buckholt – March 23, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clay snitched on Jax GF ;)

Comment by DooZ – March 23, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well actually their making 8 seasons not 7 and if the middle of season 8 is awesome the season finale will be season 9…

Comment by josh – March 25, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want to see more of Otto

Comment by Daryll Buist – March 25, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great show but rapidly losing interest due to the long breaks between seasons. it really sucks. walking dead is the same way. F**K them both. ditching cable for old school regular TV. no more getting teased by these ungreatful networks.

Comment by neece – March 29, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With Tara in jail there is an opportunity to do a story line around the difficulties she might face in jail with some of the other ladies in jail pushing her around. We can then see how touch she really is. I like how her character has gone from meek to tougher. If you notice, she is becoming more and more like Gemma. She will become the new family “mother” of the show with Gemma becoming the “grandma”. Of course, showing a little more skin and sexiness wouldn’t hurt either.

Comment by Tom – March 29, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait till September I love this show!!

Comment by Jennifer – April 15, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be honest. When watching the promos, I thought Nero was gonna be that one guy that gets in the clubs way for Gemma. I guess I should stop “judging books by its covers” because Nero is now one of my personal favorites and hope to see him in more seasons!

Comment by Mike – April 17, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOA,BEST SHOW EVER.JUST WATCHED SEASON 5 ON 5USA (COZ IM IN SCOTLAND),ONCE AGAIN JAX DOES US DIEHARD FANS PROUD

Comment by BRODERICK – May 8, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CANT WAIT TO WATCH SEASON 6,HOPE ITS NOT THE LAST.ANYONE ANY IDEA OF WHEN SEASON 6 WILL AIR IN SCOTLAND

Comment by BRODERICK – May 8, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post