Sons of Anarchy Scoop: Jimmy Smits Returning Full-Time in Season 6

Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers Nero and GemmaSons of Anarchy is making Jimmy Smits a full-time member.

TVLine has learned that Smits — who joined the FX smash last season as gangbanger-turned-“companionator” Nero — is not only returning in Season 6, but will appear in all 13 episodes.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers: Find Out Who Will (and Won’t) Be Back!

In December, series creator Kurt Sutter told TVLine that he was anxious to further examine the relationship between Nero and Katey Sagal’s Gemma, but noted that Smits’ busy schedule could be an obstacle.

“I dig [them],” said the boss. “In the finale, when he’s all twisted up about being back in the life, that’s the thing that makes Gemma the most comfortable. She knows what to do with those kinds of men; she knows how to be strong for those kinds of men. So, what does that look like? It’s a culture clash that we haven’t explored yet. To plug her into that world, which is traditionally somewhat misogynistic, could be interesting to see played out a little bit and to see what that looks like. I’d love to keep that going.”

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on Television Right Now

Despite being signed for all episodes produced in Season 6, Smits won’t technically be billed as a series regular.

SOA, which currently stands as FX’s highest-rated series ever, is slated to start production on Season 6 in early summer ahead of a fall 2013 launch.

1. Bobbi says:

I am so happy that Jimmy Smits is going to be a series regular. Happy for SOA fans. I love the show.

2. Penelope says:

Hook me up please with the dvd set. I been so hooked on the SOA since it started. Loves the crew all the way from Gisborne. NZ. Keep it up peoples and keep it coming

3. Jenn says:

I love the fact that jimmy is back!! Nero and Gemma have the best chemistry on the show. I loved him on Dexter too.
    I really don’t like Tara. She irks me.
    Can’t wait til the fall, I need me some sons sooner rather than later!!

4. Richie says:

I’ want to see Clay back on top makes the show more interesting this isn’t about how we sell girl scout cookies , i hope he come back with a vein gens and kicks jaxs ass ..

5. Summer says:

When does season 6 start

6. Joelle says:

Great news for the show! And great actor… Can’t wait

7. Ivy Marion Meeuwisse says:

Hallo, een trouwe fan uit Nederland ( geboren in Zuid America ).Heb inmiddels ook seizoen 1 t/m 4 aangeschaft.
    Geweldige serie. Tara is mijn favoriet!!!. Blij de horen dat seizoen 6 eraan komt.

8. Ali Gal says:

A year with NO SOA is really bad! Come on let’s get the show rolling.. Absence does Not make the heart grow fonder!

9. pr63 says:

sons of anarchy is currently the best show on tv, bar none!! brilliant writing and acting. may it continue for years

10. Peggy Drexel says:

I agree what is all the talk about bringing OP back. He’s dead you morans! I do agree he was killed off way to soon but thats the way it was written so we all have to move on.

11. soa fan says:

I would really like to see the character zobel/sobel, the guy who owned the cigar shop get taken out for all the trouble and problems he caused the club and jemma and for cowardly leaving the country and his dead daughters body behind like a dead rat.

12. 21st Cenury Soprano’s. An incredible mix of characters punctuated by the many twists and turns of a moving diagram of the life!

13. Terry says:

Can’t waite to see season 6, I love the show and never miss it.

14. Crystal says:

Omgsh, can it be fall already?!?! Gahhhh…. I can’t keep watching all 5 seasons over and over again just to please my SOA withdrawals… I need season 6 nowwwwww!!!!!! And can they please not do anything to my Juicey?!?! I would die. Opie was toooo much for me… if anything happened to my Juice I would lose my mind. Btw… I know Clay deserves everything that’s coming to him, but God, oh, God, I loved that man.

15. See I agree with most of you guys they need to bring Opie back. I love the show so much. I so cannot wait til mid may.I am so ready for it. I so love my Jax’s. also my Tiggs. But for the ladies,is Gemma and Tara. But I also agree with some of you guys they need to at least, go up to season eight.

16. jason buckholt says:

i will kill the soa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. DooZ says:

Clay snitched on Jax GF ;)

18. josh says:

Well actually their making 8 seasons not 7 and if the middle of season 8 is awesome the season finale will be season 9…

19. Daryll Buist says:

i want to see more of Otto

20. neece says:

great show but rapidly losing interest due to the long breaks between seasons. it really sucks. walking dead is the same way. F**K them both. ditching cable for old school regular TV. no more getting teased by these ungreatful networks.

21. Tom says:

With Tara in jail there is an opportunity to do a story line around the difficulties she might face in jail with some of the other ladies in jail pushing her around. We can then see how touch she really is. I like how her character has gone from meek to tougher. If you notice, she is becoming more and more like Gemma. She will become the new family “mother” of the show with Gemma becoming the “grandma”. Of course, showing a little more skin and sexiness wouldn’t hurt either.

22. Jennifer says:

Can’t wait till September I love this show!!

23. Mike says:

I’ll be honest. When watching the promos, I thought Nero was gonna be that one guy that gets in the clubs way for Gemma. I guess I should stop “judging books by its covers” because Nero is now one of my personal favorites and hope to see him in more seasons!

24. BRODERICK says:

SOA,BEST SHOW EVER.JUST WATCHED SEASON 5 ON 5USA (COZ IM IN SCOTLAND),ONCE AGAIN JAX DOES US DIEHARD FANS PROUD

25. BRODERICK says:

CANT WAIT TO WATCH SEASON 6,HOPE ITS NOT THE LAST.ANYONE ANY IDEA OF WHEN SEASON 6 WILL AIR IN SCOTLAND

26. BRODERICK says: