Eden Sher Previews Middle Romance Obstacle, Weighs In on Possible De-Geeking of Sue

Get More: Interviews, Previews

edenFinally, The Middle’s indefatigably optimistic Sue has snagged a boyfriend with some staying power — big brother Axl’s pal, Darrin. There’s just one problem — he’s big brother Axl’s pal, Darrin! And the wannabe rock star’s objections to the pairing only get louder when his sib starts interfering in his band, Axl and the Ax Men!

“There’s an episode coming up where she has all these ideas for them,” teases Eden Sher, who plays the endearing ubernerd. “Darrin and Sean both think they’re awesome ideas and they want to include her, but, of course, Axl hates it the whole time!”

RELATED | Exclusive: The Middle Recruits 30 Rock Star to Play [Spoiler]!

He may have to get used to it, though. Since the show waited a whole season to pull the trigger on the romance, there are presumably big things in store. “I thought they were just going to forget about” Darrin liking Sue after the prom episode, Sher says. “It’s my favorite thing in the world when sitcoms call back to things that you don’t necessarily need to remember, but it would be helpful if you did.”

Now that Sue is in a serious relationship, it would seem like the right time to finally de-geekify her, right? “I’m conflicted about that,” Sher admits. “As nice as it would be to not have to wear the braces every day and have that be [the image of me that’s] documented on national TV, I kind of take comfort in the fact that I don’t have to give a crap about what I look like when I go to work. I don’t even have to wash my hair. I can just focus on the comedy.

“Besides,” she adds, tongue firmly in cheek, “if I become too gorgeous — as I am in real life — it might take away some of the funny. And I like being goofy.”

What do you think? Would you like to see Sue all dolled up? Is your reaction to Sue/Darrin “Hell, yeah!” or “Heck, no!”? Hit the comments! Also, in case you missed it, press PLAY below to catch Sher’s surprise Spoiler Alert! cameo.

Comments (37)

• HECK, YES!!!

Sue and Darrin are the cutest thing on TV right now. LOVE them!

Comment by Bre – February 27, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely love them together! Hope they don’t break them up anytime soon.

Comment by Julia Child – February 27, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sometimes her geekiness gets annoying, but I really couldn’t picture the show without it. I hope she never changes

Comment by Dave – February 27, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show!!!! It’s so real, true to life…it deserves more love from Fans and TV Execs – it’s not all about Modern Family. The Middle is where it’s at :) :0

Comment by Aryn – February 27, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My sentiments exactly. The most overlooked show on television. Sue deserved an Emmy nod! The whole cast is phenomenal

Comment by Patrick Farley – February 27, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES! Sue is currently the BEST CHARACTER ON TELEVISION. Even in the lamer episodes, her appearance totally improves it. They can toss the braces, but they better not toss her goofiness. SHE IS THE BEST!

Comment by KevyB – February 28, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The middle is easily consistently funnier than modern family without all the snarkiness and mean spiritedness…love this show, and Eden is always a highlight in an already excellent cast

Comment by Nick – February 27, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree I think Modern Family is so overrated

Comment by amri – February 27, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree! So few of the Modern Family characters are actually likeable. They’ve even ruined Luke. And Manny is the worst. I know a lot of people will disagree but a boy acting like an old persnickety man is not funny indefinitely.

Comment by Marie – February 28, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving the new romance between Sue and Darrin. They are so sweet together. I love the old Sue – the geeky, nerdy, naieve girl, but after five years it’s time to get rid of those braces and grow up a little. I think she can still bring the funny with a “little bit of glamor.”

Comment by Mel – February 27, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think the degeeking of Due should come too soon, but I also don’t think try should save until the final season.

Comment by Mike – February 27, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sue has always been my favorite character on this show – the middle child in a show called The Middle. Eden Sher has deserved Emmy consideration for years – hopefully it will happen this year.

Comment by Hamish – February 27, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and Sue and Darrin are the cutest!

Comment by Muriel – February 27, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I look forward to The Middle more than Modern Family, without question, and Eden is the MVP of that great ensemble. Man I wish it got more love. But let’s be honest, the last thing we all need is for it to become a bigger hit and grow stale like its Wednesday night companion, amirite?

Comment by Jacob – February 27, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When did they hint at it earlier in the season?

Comment by Kate – February 27, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch this show every week – agree that it is the most consistently funny, relate-able, underrated comedy on TV right now. The entire cast is amazing, but the kids blow my mind. I can’t wait to see where they take Sue and Darrin – so glad the writers brought that back around. This gives me the glees, big time! :)

Comment by abbyjo – February 27, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should keep her the same, just tone down at times. However, some point VERY soon she needs to lose the braces. It’s been 4 years, after awhile it will just be stupid to have them.

Comment by David4 – February 27, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sue is my favourite thing about The Middle (and there’s lots to choose from)!

Comment by Ross – February 27, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sue’s de-geeking should be natural, just like any other girl that had braces and did not conform to be in a clique.

Comment by jlonnie – February 27, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE THIS SHOW AND EDEN IS WONDERFUL ON IT. THAT BEING SAID, GET RID OF THE BRACES, PLEASE.

Comment by Peggy – February 27, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should do an episode where frankie has a dream that axel is a geek and sue is the cheerleader and brick is normal

Comment by elaine – February 27, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Every time I watch I think oh I wish I could just fix her up just a little bit

Comment by crc – February 27, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fave show on tv. Underrated and underappreciated!

Comment by Jack – February 27, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “Trash Can Kiss” song was the cutest thing ever. I’m all for Sue getting her braces off, as long as she stays Sue!

Comment by Babybop – February 27, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Sue finally had something good happen to her. Such an awesome storyline.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 27, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sue and darrin are so cute together. I also think they should get rid of her braces.

Comment by ollie – February 27, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darrin&Sue are so cute&perfect together! They’re both kind of geeky/stupid, and I hope whenever this great show ends (so not for a long time) it ends with their nerdy, over the top wedding = ) haha. I reallyyyy like them.

Comment by Courtney – February 27, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sue & Darrin are great together. The Middle is the best show on TV!!

Comment by nick1372 – February 27, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sue and Darrin are perfect. And Sue’s transformation should be gradual with her braces coming off the day she goes to Darrin’s prom. She needs to be dressed hot for the prom in which Darrin is so happy to be dating her and Axel sees his dorky sister as a hot chick for the first time in his life. It really freaks him out. But then of course she trips over her heels and falls flat on her face. Darrin is genuine, he’s not a player, so all the nice things he says to Sue he really means. And Axel and Sean’s dates get jealous because they’re not as loving or romantic with them. Please let the romance continue.

Comment by PG – February 27, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love sue and all the hicks have fin and I laugh hard one of the best under rated shows braces off but goofy love stories on any fate would be a ball I remember many dorky dates if yes need some ideas love all the kids reminds me of the old Brady bunch kids they Greg goofy went with so hard as a teen I’m sure!

Comment by leann schoenlein – February 27, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If someone had asked me what I thought of Sue & Darrin together before I’d seen the prom episode and then the even more convincing Valentine’s Day episode, I might not have been a fan of the idea. But now I see how sweet he is with her and Sue deserves that. He might be a little dense at times but if he can look past Sue’s geekiness to see how great she is then that makes him smarter than most boys his age!

Now I just hope to see more of Axl’s reaction to it. Axl’s always ragging on his “dork” little sister, but I want to see more of him acting like a protective big brother! We got a glimpse of it last week, but not enough!

As for giving Sue a makeover: I think it should start to happen soon, since she’s about to hit the age where girls begin to grow out of the awkwardness. I also hope the change is gradual and not too drastically different. I think we already saw a glimpse of this with her surprisingly (non-garish) cute but still Sue-ish Valentine’s Dance outfit. I’ve always felt that with just a few changes, Sue’s style could be translated into a decently fashionable “Hipster-Lite” (all the style with none of the condescension!) She’s already got the colored skinny jeans, retro shoes, and (non-ironically-worn) ironic tops. All she needs is to calm down a little on the color/pattern combinations, wear clothes that fit her a little better, some makeup and maybe a sidepart in her hair. I’m sure it could all be explained by Frankie finally sitting her down for a proper make-up tutorial and Brad accompanying her on shopping trips. Eden is gorgeous and can still be hilarious and dorky without braces and a middlepart.

Comment by dfriendly – February 28, 2013 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Axl’s always ragging on his “dork” little sister, but I want to see more of him acting like a protective big brother! We got a glimpse of it last week, but not enough!”

I SO COMPLETELY CONCUR! Sue and Axl make the show :D

Comment by Mrs-N-Uzumaki – February 28, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be a mistake do degeekify her. Its what makes the character. Besides, Darrin seems to like her for who she is. By the way, I think they’re cute!

Comment by anonymous – March 8, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe they just broke them up tonight! Why?! I want to stop watching now. Please bring them back together.

Comment by RT – April 10, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO NO NO NO NO……..SUE AND DARRIN MAKE A REALLY FOOD COUPLE…BOTH ARE FUN AND GOOFY……….IM STARTING TO REALLY DISLIKE AXEL…SUCH A SELFISH ACT HE PULLED LAST NIGHT…….WHY IS HE ALWAYS SO MEAN TO SUE?

Comment by Rick – April 12, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE GET RID OF SUES BRACE IT’S BEEN TOO LONG, IT’S GETTING WEIRD. SUE CAN STOLL BE GOOFY. SHE’S VERY FUNNY

Comment by Brian – February 5, 2014 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post