Billy, It's Grim: The CW's Cult Moved to Fridays

CULTAfter two low-rated outings, The CW’s Cult has been snapped right off of its Tuesday perch and shuttled to Fridays, where it will lead out of Nikita — and pit Billy Grimm against NBC’s soon-to-return Grimm —  the network announced on Wednesday.

Taking over the Tuesdays-at-9 time slot will be CW encores, starting with a Beauty and the Beast repeat on March 5.

Cult, starring Matt Davis, Robert Knepper, Alona Tal and Jessica Lucas, premiered to 860,000 viewers and a 0.3 demo rating on Feb. 19. In its second outing, it showed precious little improvement, save for a few more viewers.

1. Lorena says:

Buuuuuuuuuu, well at least now wa have something to watch Fridays, i miss Fringe :(

2. fiona says:

Cult works better with nikita anyways not hart

3. Androme says:

Billy Grimm, say hello to Nick the Grimm. He’s gonna kill you now.

4. Playhouse says:

The CW finally uses the “death slot” appropriately.

5. Everyone says:

Matt Davis should go back to Mystic Falls

6. Amy says:

Matt Davis shouldn’t have been so quick to leave TVD (unless the writer’s gave him no choice, to which I say the writer’s shouldn’t have been so quick to kill off Alaric). At least we got a quick look at Alaric after-death because Jeremy could see dead people, but now even Jeremy’s dead.

• sarah says:

Well Matt said in an article that he was not happy with how Julie was writing Alaric for a long time and asked to me let go from the show. So sadly I do not think he will ever be back on TVD, unless he is desperate PLUS as Alaric is dead and I am sure the whole Silas thing will not happen, Alaric would not have alot of screen time.

7. Nicole says:

Does the CW not know how well Grimm does on Fridays? Plus Nikita/Cult sounds like an awful combo

8. claudia says:

Yay for batb at least they know the show has the best chances of all the other bubble shows

9. ggny says:

Is it to late to bring back Emily Owens? A show that had better ratings then most of the shows on The CW

10. kirads09 says:

I love Knepper and hope he finds a show worthy of him if this doesn’t work out (which apparently it isn’t looking good). He has immense talent.

• RichieS says:

Actually all four of the show’s stars are very talented. Davis and Knepper have been mentioned above, although if you looked up typecasting in Webster’s I’m sure Knepper’s picture would appear. Tal was great in Supernatural and her and Jensen Ackles would’ve been worth exploring relationship wise, but bros b4 hos I guess. And Lucas was probably the best thing about the ill-fated Melrose reboot and is very easy on the eyes.

11. Luke says:

Given the numbers of Cult, Id be surprised if anyone is really going to miss it

12. sigh bring back emily owens MD please

13. Andy says:

It would seem that Cult hasn’t acquired a following

14. rachelle says:

Cancel it and let Alaric resurrect from the dead on Vampire Diaries so he can rekindle his romance with Damon.

15. MaryAnn says:

I am all for this move. Now maybe “Cult” will have a chance to catch on. Seems to me a lot of the people who didn’t like it just didn’t want to take the trouble to pay attention to follow what is going on. The show actually reminds me a bit of “Twin Peaks.” I will be very curious to see the Friday numbers.

16. kates2424 says:

I think Jessica Lucas could possibly be a “show-killer”

• Sid says:

Same could be said for Katie Cassidy. She appeared on Supernatural, Melrose Place and Gossip Girl before finally finding a stable show.

Britt Robertson also killed; sorry I meant starred on Life unecpected and Secret Circle.

• Becky says:

Katie Cassidy definitely didn’t kill Supernatural. The 3rd season was def not it’s best, but that was more because of the writer’s strike than anything. Not to mention the fact that it’s still on the air….with a 9th season pick up. When Katie started on Gossip Girl it was an established show and was already on it’s way down. And now she is now on Arrow which is one of the top 3 shows on the network.

Funny thing is both Life Unexpected and Secret Circle did better in the ratings than most of the shows currently on the CW. Too bad they didn’t invest in either show because they thought something better was going to come along….which obviously not much has (except for Arrow)

• kates2424 says:

Ugh Brit Robertson! She is in the new Stephen King show this summer and she better not ruin it!

P.S. I love Katie Cassidy though.

17. Good. I had too much to DVR on Tuesdays at 9, and now I won’t have to watch on Hulu,

18. Mandy says:

They should re air The LA Complex and see if it does better. If it does, renew it for season 3.

19. Nicole says:

Can they please just bring back Emily Owens? Even though it was in the death slot, it had a nice fan base.

20. Stacey says:

I wish they bring back Emily Owens too. Great characters and storylines. I also miss Matt Davis on VD, such an awesome character, loved his relationship with Damon.

21. I’ve been enjoying “Cult”, but to be honest, the ‘show within a show’ is a lot more interesting than the main storyline.

Whenever it goes back to ‘reality’, I start getting bored….

22. Drew says:

Cult is an interesting show. I know that the Vampire Diaries fans want Alaric back, but the truth is, it won’t happen. Matt Davis wanted off the show, and the writers wanted him off the show. And I can’t blame him… the writing has tanked severely (this coming from someone who never thought it was really good to begin with).
    Pairing Cult with Hart of Dixie was stupid. It’s like putting The X-Files after Gilmore Girls and expecting it to hold the same audience. Nikita isn’t great, but at least it’s not sugary sweet, “nails on a chalkboard” quirky. Cult is actually better off with Nikita.

At least it looks like they’ll let them finish the season. What the CW should be at least happy with was that the second episode gained viewers. It usually works the other way, with second episodes losing viewers from the premiere. It’s not great news, but it’s better than seeing a drop-off. It means that most of the people who saw the premiere were interested in seeing more. Given enough time, that could build into a steady following… potentially.

• Jake says:

Having just caught up on the first two seasons of Nikita via Netflix I think I might have to disagree that it’s not great. Now admittedly, I haven’t seen season 3 yet, but for now it’s comfortably sitting in the number two spot for my favorite shows the CW has produced, behind Supernatural, but in front of Arrow (which is still awesome).

As far as moving Cult to Fridays, I’m giving it a few recorded episodes so I can marathon it a bit before I make my judgement on the show, but I can see why it would work better after Nikita.

• Drew says:

I’m in a similar boat with Nikita. I watched the first several episodes when they first aired, but found it to be like the diet soda of spy shows, so I stopped watching. Now that it’s on Netflix, I’m watching the first couple of seasons. I was thinking that the show might improve with time, bit I still find a lot of it to be pretty hard to take seriously. Their fighting techniques are sloppy (Nikita got bested by a dude in a wheelchair, just because she insisted on holding her gun about a foot away from his head. It’s not a sword, Nikita! It words from a distance!). Their attempts at political commentary are pretty shallow when they go there.

Don’t get me wrong. They’re not as stupid as the people on The Following, but I still don’t buy anyone on the show as a real spy.

I do agree with Supernatural and Arrow are awesome though. I wasn’t sure I’d like Arrow, based on early reports of his bratty little sister and mother who weren’t in the comics, and because these shows have a way of turning out badly. But they’ve really impressed me, both in terms of character writing and in terms of making me believe in this character as a vigilante.

His training is also pretty realistic. None of this stuff where his workout consists of yoga and good intentions. :)

• daisja says:

I think supernatural and cult would go best together

23. Whatever says:

What a waste for Matt Davis ! He was so much better on the TVD as Alaric.

24. mia says:

I’m sad for those that enjoyed it, but I’m thinking this means a more likely renewal for Beauty and the Beast!

25. Para says:

I want Emily Owens back….

26. Jj says:

As long as they renew Beauty and the Beast I’ll be happy. That will complete all the shows I watch on CW…. poor Cult looked vaguely interesting when I saw MD in the preview.

• MaryAnn says:

“Cult” is absolutely intriguing. You should check it out from the beginning, and catch up. Paired with “Nikita,” it actually might gain viewers and have a chance.

27. Sci-fier says:

Well, I’m outta here. I already watch Touch and Grimm in this slot so no more Cult for me. I wasn’t sold on the show yet so now it won’t even get the chance.

28. Georgie says:

*beats head on desk* TVD fans need to wake up. Alaric is DEAD. Like as in….dead. No amount of crying will bring him back. Now, I WAS a huge TVD fan but this season? It sucks. Julie Plec is tanking the show. I think it was a smart move for Matt Davis to get off that sinking ship. If these where TRUE Matt Davis fans, they would put their efforts into watching his new show and helping it get off the ground.

Cult is a total out of the box show. No police drama, no crime scene BS, no love triangle, no hospital crap, just a good, creepy, mystery show with great actors. Nothing wrong with a show that makes you think is there? I also think Cult is a show that needs to build. You’re not going to have it figured out in 2 episodes. Like any new series, you have to build the story line and the characters. If The CW was really behind Cult they would put it after TVD or Arrow or SPN. Now, in my eyes, that would make a HUGE difference. Plus perhaps, maybe promo it like A LOT more?

I honestly think the Friday night slot is great! Look how good Supernatural did in the same slot for how many years? They just got picked up for their 9th season.

• Drew says:

Agreed. Though I don’t want to see Supernatural and Arrow split up… the rest, you’re spot-on with. I also like that Cult is a little fun. It’s not so super serious like The Following, which just ends up looking stupid as a result.

29. Boone says:

Nikita and Cult is a much better combo (than “Hart of Dixie” and “Cult”.. Aaarrghh). Hope it improves there because that show is really interesting. I love that creepy/mystery stuff. O’Bannon is a genius.

• lina says:

I agree, Nikita and Cult are a better pairing. They should have started it there in the first place. I’m apprehensive to check it out now because it’s probably going to get cancelled and I hate getting roped in.

30. oliver says:

This is just CW’s last resort for Cult. If the show doesn’t improve or performs worse this week, i expect it to be out of the network’s roster next week.

31. Sokratis says:

probably shouldnt have been so quick to axe emily owens i guess.

32. Joe says:

Stopped watching as soon as the first week ratings came in not going to get involved with something with low ratings any more

33. Bob says:

The CW? What’s that?

• Bob says:

Oh, that’s right. It’s the ugly stepsister network to CBS, where all the Warner Bros. shows deemed “not worthy” for CBS end up.

34. Jay says:

Bring back the LA Complex!

35. Mikael says:

I think Cult has potential. But they haven’t shown enough of the show within a show to make us understand why the show would have such a rabid following. It actually looks kind of boring- a former cultist out for revenge against the leader. I just don’t see people obsessing over it. But maybe it just needs room to breathe. I’m glad CW is moving it rather than just pulling it.

36. Molly says:

I think Cult is really good, but it’s a weird fit for the CW. It has a plot, not all the actors are gorgeous 25 year olds, and it is in no way set in a high school or college. It should have been on another network.

• Faster says:

I think the CW is moving away from that stereotype. 90210 gone, GG gone, Carrie Diaries will be gone…the strongest shows are Supernatural, Arrow, and TVD (although why the characters are high school students baffles me since they never actually go to school). And a lot of the new pilots seem to have more supernatural/science fiction material that soap opera junk.

37. John says:

I love cult

38. Lou says:

Okay so – I might be late on giving my opinion but I think Cult is different and I would love to see more of that but as we have seen in the past few seasons of TV different usually does not last unless it wows form the get go (like Grimm and Fringe) or if it’s on SyFy. I have to say that this show has not been heavily promoted like the Carrie Diaries and other shows that debuted this “spring” . Hopefully Friday will allow it to shine a little. If they do decide to cancel it I hope they let me view all of the episodes produced.

• George says:

I agree. Even more so after watching last nights episode. I LOVE the storyline and the hidden messages are JUST starting to pop up. That’s totally cool. Am I the only one who’s happy to finally have something to watch on Friday nights? LOL I know Cult fell in ratings last night which is to be expected considering the CW once again, did very little to promo the move. My question is why? Carrie Diaries is lame. The 80’s is something I would rather NOT revisit via a tv show thank you very much.

Even though people are saying the ratings are so low, but when you look at the CW as a whole, Cults ratings are pretty par with their other shows like Nikita and they are in their 3rd season.

My question is this: If Cult was to get a full season and air in the fall like most of the shows, do you think the ratings would be better?

39. diana says:

im in australia and i think cult is very intriguing…..its puts on a spin on “big love” i reckon anyways. I hope they don’t canx it though. beauty and the beast…absoloutely luv..vincent aka jay ryan is a nz/aussie actor…and he has been on many shows over here including a local soapy, sea patrol and go girls….!! he is pure legend that boi! i love him we love him…..but i have loved him for years …..xoxoox

40. If some one desires to be updated with newest technologies afterward
    he must be pay a visit this web page and be up to date every day.