Pilot Scoop: Rules of Engagement's David Spade to Star in ABC's Bad Management

spadeDavid Spade is about to experience Bad Management.

The Rules of Engagement star has been cast as a lead in ABC’s comedy pilot, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to Pilot Season 2013: Get All the Scoop on This Fall’s Newcomers

The single-camera project centers on a slightly self-centered female boss at a high end luxury goods department store who finds her ways challenged when the boss’s son Tobias Jr. — played by Spade — comes to town and makes youth and sex the new company focus.

Rachael Harris (Notes From the Underbelly) also joins the potential series as Linda, one of the department store’s employees.

Spade currently stars as Russell in CBS’ utility player Rules, which avoided cancellation last year despite a constantly shifting timeslot. He’s also known for his roles on Saturday Night Live, 8 Simple Rules and Just Shoot Me!.

1. taliesin says:

This guy’s like a working machine. He just goes from 8 Simple Rules to Just Shoot Me to Rules of Engagement to this, with hardly any real time off. In 16 years on TV series he’s not been working like 3 years. Bravo, and good luck on this gig!

2. Jack says:

Haha I was like, “Rusty?” too.

3. cuius says:

Is this confirmation of the end of RoE? Pity, if so – still some of the best comedy writing currently

• taliesin says:

Well, it was announced here a couple of weeks ago that Patrick had signed on for a new pilot. Now David has a new pilot. I’d think that pretty-much clinches it.

• Amanda says:

I don’t think CBS ever officially announced it, but a couple of the actors tweeted a while back that they had filmed their last episode.

4. Nick says:

I’m happy for him but I wish he would move away from the sex-crazy characters that he’s been playing. Maybe it’s just his look that makes him perfect for these roles. Or maybe he’s just the same way in real life, I wouldn’t know. No offense. Either way, all the best to Mr Spade!

• Bob says:

Plus he’s getting a little long-in-the-tooth to be playing a sex-crazed character on TV. It was OK 20 years ago, but, ewwwww, who wants to date their Dad?

5. darcywilson says:

This. Sounds. Awful.

6. Andy says:

I will follow him to any show, because I have loved his work on all his shows.

7. Tran says:

Rules of Engagement should end after seven seasons and it’s been “on the bubble” like three, four maybe five times at least.

8. big cheddar says:

I absolutely love Rachael Harris, so I’ll check it out for her.

9. Patty Stamps says:

It doesn’t mean ROE is cancelled. Damon Wayans was in the pilot for New Girl but when Happy Endings got renewed, he had to stick with Happy Endings. They need to play the odds of a struggling show getting picked up and one of MANY pilots ordered to get picked up. Unfortunatley for Damon, Happy Endings is not looking good for renewal this year and New Girl is holding steady. Personally, I LOVE Happy Endings and New Girl bores the crap out of me.

• Bob says:

I think they renewed Happy Endings just to mess with Wayans, Jr. The show was terrible the first season, which is why he jumped at the New Girl pilot. I’m sure he was very shocked when it got picked up. But, hey, his New Girl character could always make a return!