Pilot News: Sleepy Hollow Casts Ichabod Crane

tom misonBritish actor Tom Mison has been cast as the lead in Fox’s Sleepy Hollow thriller, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s Possible Newcomers

The project, written and exec-produced by Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, is described as a modern-day supernatural thriller based on the legend of the titular Westchester County, N.Y. town.

Mison’s Ichabod Crane is a Revolutionary War captain who takes off a horseman’s head and then somehow time-travels to the present, where he proves a beneficial partner to a local detective (played by Nicole BeharieThe Good Wife) when his enemy The Headless Horseman comes back to haunt the town.

Orlando Jones (MADtv) and Katia Winter (Dexter) co-star.

Mison’s credits include the feature film Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and the HBO miniseries Parade’s End.

1. Erin says:

I don’t understand why there’s this urge to take classic stories and make them as convoluted as possible to make a new TV show. I would’ve happily watched a (well-done) show based on Sleepy Hallow, but was the time-travelling detective part really necessary?

• AJ says:

Once upon a time is a big hit. Fox is just trying to get a similar show out.

• Larry says:

I think it is a production issue. It’s easily on the budget to keep it contemporary then go all out and make it a period piece. But I have to admit -I like the premise and would had preferred it stay away from the time-traveling device.

• Plum says:

Blame Elementary, my dear. For some reason they never rip off genuinely creative shows, just the ones they think are easy to emulate. I feel bad for these terrific actors but the network is going to micromanage this thing straight into the trash.

2. Tristan says:

this sounds like it will be goofy and a milky. Just putting the sleep hallow name on it for the buzz

3. Pattybelle says:

Why can’t the detective be MALE for once. it’s going to be just like fringe, female lead made to look perfect and wonderful while the male “sidekick” aka ichabod crane is made to look stupid. No thanks.

• Gilda says:

You got all that from them casting a woman as the detective?

• Ash says:

Umm what male sidekick on fringe was made to look stupid?

• Pattybelle says:

Peter Bishop.

It’s the stigma of being on the show with a female lead.

• Ash says:

Your entitled to your opinion I get that but as someone who watched Fringe from the beginning I thought that the whole cast was portrayed as intelligent… Peter never seemed dumb to me

• Lewis Jones says:

Really, Patty. Please stay the eff away from any show by Bad Robot, please. I do not want to suffer your rants on yet how yet another female character is being made”perfect” I absolutely loved Peter on Fringe, but was totally sick of your diatribes against Olivia… Go Away…

• jan says:

My line of thinking is a bit similar to your own. Why the need for a “female” detective. This is beginning to become way too cliche. In real life, the “fem” on Fringe really is on-the-fringe… a Lindsey Lohan in the making. Cliche: another one is “Arrow”. Like “Inspector” Dirty Harry Callahan once said in a movie… “How stylish!”.

4. Pattybelle says:

Oh yeah, and i can’t wait for ichabod and this female lead to get together, ichabod doing something really stupid and the female leads fanbase bashing him.

I feel bad for this actor, he’s going to be hated.

5. Alice says:

Huh. Could be OK. Easily half the shows in hulu from Korea involve the protagonist being “out of their time” – either a modern character gets zapped back in time or the opposite. Sounds bonkers, but they sometimes work. Could be ok.

• Plum says:

Very true, but Korean dramas tend to be fun and creative, with the writers and directors leading the production. Fox execs could have just made a supernatural show but they’ve glommed onto the Once/Elementary/Do No Harm wagon and they will not be taking any risks, so I expect it will be flat and dull. Sleepy Hollow will be a snooze compared to epic Korean dramas like Iris and Bad Guy.

6. Plum says:

I’m going to tune into a Sleepy Hollow with the same vigor that I tuned into the Jekyl and Hide zzzzzzz…..

7. Rai says:

Thank you, for butchering what is actually a fascinating story. Also, The headless horseman was a myth, so…..thanks for keeping true to the legend! Not. (Oh by the way ‘strong female leads’ try just ‘female lead’, entitled brats.)