How I Met Your Mother Bringing Back [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News

How I Met Your Mother Season 8 Becki Newton ReturnsAnd the parade of returning How I Met Your Mother alums marches on…

In what is sure to create some tension between Barney and bride-to-be Robin, the CBS hit is bringing Becki Newton‘s Quinn (a.k.a. B’s ex- fiancée) back for an episode, EW.com reports.

Quinn, last seen in the fall when she broke things off with Barney, resurfaces on April 15.

RELATED | HIMYM Renewed for Final Season — Find Out When We’ll Meet the Mother!

Other HIMYM vets who have popped up this season include Joe Manganiello, Rachel Bilson and Kyle MacLachlan. And as TVLine reported yesterday, Glee‘s Jayma Mays is set to reprise her Season 1 role of “coat check girl” next month.

Comments (32)

• EW gave it away. no need for a spoiler warning.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 26, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay but for people who don’t read EW and for people who maybe do but read TV Line first…?

Comment by B – February 26, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL Ausiello seems damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t (Downton Abby anyone???) FFS.

Comment by lauren – February 26, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always visit TVLine for my news over EW. I followed Ausiello when he left and made this site. So it is a spoiler alert for me. :P And yet I still read this. :D

Comment by Esaul – February 26, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually EW reported it at 9:00 AM. this was written at 7AM. So EW didn’t give it away they stole it. Oh and ODDLY EW reported it as an exclusive!

Comment by Monte – February 26, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OK MY BAD…. this was 7AM PST as opposed to 9 AM EST… SORRY never mind, nothing to see here move along. Just like most reporters I just report and not fact check first.

Comment by Monte – February 26, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How did EW steal this when TVLine is referring to the news released by them as source?

Comment by Babar Suhail – February 26, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Awesome was in Season 1

Comment by Oscar Chip – February 26, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Michelle – February 26, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CCG made an appearance in season 1, not 2 ;D
    Quinn is a nice touch, though.

Comment by Jason – February 26, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. Is it just me or do I feel like Barney and robin don’t even act like a couple?! Ever since the engagement episode there has been no sweet or loving moments with them. It’s like they’re not even together

Comment by Pickles – February 26, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What do you mean they don’t act like a couple? True there hasn’t been very much interaction between them, but when they are in a scene together, they act very much like a couple. Pay closer attention to Robin and Barney and you’ll see moments like her rubbing his thigh, him putting his arm around her shoulder and in “P.S. I Love You” he’s leaning against her and she’s playing with his hair and rubbing his shoulder, that looked pretty coupley to me.

Comment by justsomegirl – March 1, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?! What the hell is the point?! I LOVED Victoria&Quinn and for them to come back just to, for Victoria, break up with the boy again, and for Quinn to see Barney&Robin together sucks… Why do they have to go back to this? They feel as though noone can come through the show once, even though life’s like that sometimes. Brad, Captain, Coat Check Girl, Slutty Pumpkin, Quinn, Victoria, etc… enouuuugh.

Comment by Courtney – February 26, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Captain was excellent, no drama, just a new story for Lilly, and I still wouldn’t mind having Stella return so, Ted can get revenge for her and Tony releasing the Wedding Bride.

Comment by Mike – February 26, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What are they doing? They ran out of good stories last season, this season sucks and they are bringing characters from the past 8 seasons back. Think new good stories!!!

Comment by Olivia – February 26, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, it seems like they didn’t expect to be renewed for a final season so they’re not sure what to do with these last eps of this season. If I wasn’t already so close to the end of the “book” I’d put it down and cut my losses, but I feel like if I did, I would be letting myself down by not meeting the challenge of seeing the it all the way to the bitter end.

Comment by c-mo – February 26, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They ARE starting to pile up in my DVR.. thank the gods of terabytes!

Comment by John – February 26, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they are stretching it out since they have got another season..i am not interested in barney and robin anymore..they are a horrible couple..can we get to their wedding already and let ted meet “THE ONE”..ted in relationship is more fun to watch than barney and robin in relationship

Comment by stephabc – February 26, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Quinn. WTH are they bringing back her stupid ass for?

Comment by Marie – February 26, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have ran out of ideas now and they are bringing back old characters…coat girl, quinn.Lets predict who else is on the line.i am sure stella & tony will be back,coz wedding bride 2 or 3 which ted and “mother” are waiting in rain to watch.Victoria may be back coz robin hasnt found out yet that she is the reason ted & victoria broke up.Zoey may be back too, to make this clueless show more horrible.May be Nora(I really liked her with barney).
    Instead of this can they introduce the mother and see how she becomes the 6th member, ted and her dating and their happily ever after.They can spin 24 episodes next season on this plot.

Comment by angie – February 26, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I like Becki Newton… I don’t like Quinn. But I trust the writers (sort of) to tie it in.

Comment by Babybop – February 26, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for a return for Quinn, but not for one episode, but for the rest of the series! I like Quinn, but I really thought she’d be here longer, or at the very least, be there to stay in the life of the group at the last episode of the series (which they still could do). Why? Because when we first met her, future Ted tells the kids “And that’s how we met Quinn.” Wouldn’t make any sense to say that if the kids don’t know her. And it’s the only character except for Robin that Ted said that for. If they did it only to make us think she was gonna marry Barney and then not follow up on that foreshadowing, it would be lazy writing.

Comment by Reboot – February 26, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously why? what is the point of bringing her back, it adds nothing to a story that was already done, but then again i should have seen stuff like this coming since they refuse to stop bringing up ted and robin, no more ideas left between all the writers

Comment by Alan – February 26, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly never thought I’d say this because I completely love the show, I once spent hours looking through christmas ornaments until I found a french horn and painted it with blue nail varnish to give to a friend and fellow fan as a present, but I am SO bored this season. Nothing funny is happening and each week just seem to be hanging on to see if they’ll drop more info on the mother.

Comment by Ben – February 26, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a Victoria [Ashley W] fan, so I wouldn’t mind seeing her come back again. I think it makes sense to have some of the prior characters return. Sometimes when five people spend so much time together, they lose some perspective – can’t see the forest from the trees – can’t see beyond themselves, so their actions don’t appear misguided.

It takes someone [that sixth person] to get a better perspective on the HIMYM gang. Victoria did that when she returned in S7′s ‘Ducky Tie’ [one of my favorite episodes]. I’d welcome her coming back one or two more times next season. Her perspective of the Ted-Robin-Barney triangle was refreshing and spot-on. For my money, Victoria has always been the most level headed and smartest one of the bunch. Plus, as Angie mentioned in her post, somewhere along the way, Robin will find out what/who was the catalyst for Ted and Victoria breaking up and not marrying.

Regarding Quinn, I’m hoping she gives one of those ‘moments of clarity’ to both Barney and Robin when she returns in April. That is a valuable storyline to explore.

That ‘sixth’ person (as Angie mentions in her post) is critical – whether that person is Victoria, or Quinn, or eventually ‘the mother’… that person provides that outside perspective of the HIMYM gang of five.

And of course, I definitely want to see Patrice again. [NO ONE ASKED YOU PATRICE!]

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 26, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankly, as much as I initally loved Robin and Barney, after they split, the magic disappeared. Now they’re both painful with each other. I preferred Quinn for Barney so happy to see her back.

Comment by Ella – February 26, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can this show end? It’s lived way past its prime. Jason Segel should have stuck to his guns and left, forcing the show to end THIS year.

Comment by Bob – February 27, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought about that too, and I’m big proponent of ending things a year early than a year late [the ole Jerry Seinfeld theory]. So, I do understand what you’re thinking.

However, in this instance of HIMYM, I think Jason did the right thing. I think HIMYM will turn out to be the exception to the rule. Better to know for sure what that final season will bring [even if it turns out to not be too good], than to always wonder. Plus, I think some of the other cast members wanted to stay one more year – the cast is close, and Jason ‘took one for the team.’ I completely understand; Cobie has a really interesting character to play in Robin – a lot of drama to her character – still a lot left to tell of her story – same for Lily. Jason didn’t want to take that away from them – I would do the same – better to give it one more season and have no regrets.

This show still has life in it – but the center of the show is still Ted and that woman under the umbrella. The Robin-Barney tandem is really only in support of the Ted-mother tandem. Once we hit the end of this season/May’13 and we ‘see’ the mother, that should propel the series for that final push next fall leading to May’14.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 27, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have decided who I believe should play the “Mother”. In fact I am so convinced it should be her that it will be a disappointment if it turns out to be anyone else. The “Mother” should be played by Lyndsy… wait for it… Fonseca.
        Why? Because she has been in nearly every episode of the series as the “daughter”, because in the 8 years since those 2030 “kids” openings were filmed she has grown and matured as an actress, and because the irony of the same actress playing both the mother and the daughter is funny on many levels.
        The only thing standing in the way would be Nikita.

Comment by arianeb – March 2, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show just needs to end, which is really sad for me to say because HIMYM used to be one of my favorite comedies. The first 2 seasons were incredible. And then it slowly went downhill. Seasons 3 and 4 were good, and Seasons 5+ were just awful.

Comment by Mikael – February 27, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Victoria? And when will Robin find out?

Comment by Todd Smitts – March 3, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post