Hart of Dixie: Wilson Bethel and Rachel Bilson Weigh in on Wade and Zoe's Shocking [Spoiler]

Get More: Exclusive, Interviews, Scoop

Hart of Dixie Sesaon 5 SpoilersIf you’ve yet to watch Tuesday’s Hart of Dixie, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

Hear that? That’s the sound of many a Hart of Dixie fan’s hearts breaking after this week’s installment of the CW charmer, which found Wade reluctantly coming clean to Zoe about his wandering eye everything and effectively ending their wonderfully short-lived love story.

“It’s sad because they’ve been building these two characters up for a season-and-a-half,” Rachel Bilson tells TVLine. “It’s like a real breakup.”

RELATED | The CW Orders Early Renewals for Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow

Wilson Bethel, who portrays the misguided philanderer, couldn’t agree more with his co-star — and being the man behind the wrong-doer makes the twist sting all the worse.

“I’ve developed a very strong relationship with Wade over the last year-and-a-half, and it’s like seeing a really good friend do something wrong, you know?” the actor shares, somberly. “There’s an emotional impact that it has on you. But the question is, what happens from here — and a lot of that remains to be seen. It’s a little heartbreaking.”

Bethel explains that Wade’s choice to stray from the relationship for which he fought so hard “definitely came out of the blue, but so goes it in network television… The nature of the game is that nothing can be happy and good for too long,” he says, laughing. “Six or seven episodes of [happiness] is probably all you’re going to get out of a show that’s relationship/triangle-based.”

RELATED | The CW Sets Finale Dates: Who’s Done First?

With “Wade entering into a pretty dark zone” in the coming weeks, Bethel reveals that he too will be “entering into a pretty dark zone… But it’s good, too. From an acting perspective, it’s a new shade of the character and it gives me some new territory to explore.” That said, Bethel is going to miss the enjoyment of embodying “the playful guy that everybody likes. It’s not fun being the guy that everyone hates. But at the end of the day, we’re not doing Schindler’s List here, so there’s got to be a lot of light moments to come! Still, it’s going to be a lonely course.”

The after effects of Wade’s indiscretions will also impact other Bluebell denizens, including Cress Williams‘ beloved mayor Lavon. “He’s been Wade’s friend for years and believes he’s got so much potential,” Williams shares. “But Lavon’s also seen him undercut it time and time again. And then here’s Zoe, his best friend, and the fact that she’s hurt. It’s like part [of him] wants to shake the child [Wade] and say, ‘You can be so much better!’ but he’s also angry about him hurting his best friend.”

Not unlike Bethel, Williams recalls that “it felt so weird when we read the script [for this episode] out loud. Wilson took it really hard. There was just a hush at the table read, like ‘Oh man, that’s not good.’ (Mircea Monroe [Tansy], for her part, also took the news badly: “I was crying — we’re all really invested!”)

RELATED | Get Scoop on the 8 Pilots The CW Is Considering for Fall

Putting a slightly more positive spin on the Dixie shakeup, Bilson notes: “It’s fun to do these emotional scenes because I don’t get those very much… So, I’m actually looking forward to [what's next] in a weird way.”

And what is next, you ask? For starters, some long-overdue girl time for sometime-frenemies Zoe and Tansy. “We have some moments coming up,” Monroe teases. “In the next episode, it’s Tansy who Zoe goes out with to try and get over Wade. She has extra empathy in this situation. It’s really cool twist for the character, to start to like someone that she didn’t because of shared experiences.” But don’t think Tansy will totally let her guard down when it comes to the pint-sized doc. “While we’re doing shots, Tansy even says something like, ‘You’re going to be fine. You’ll find someone like George — but not George, himself,’” the actress laughs.

As for what’s to become of the broken hearted, Bethel can only muster up a solemn “who knows” for now. “But I think Wade and Zoe made a pretty good run at it,” he adds, “and maybe this will leave room for a continued development down the line.”

Now it’s your turn to sound off, Dixie fans: How are you feeling about Wade and Zoe’s shocking split? Hit the comments!

Comments (326)

• I honestly can’t recall the last time I was so invested in a TV show. Before this season I didn’t even ship Wade and Zoe but this whole episode I was right there with Zoe, it was obvious it happened but I wanted to believe so badly it didn’t!

Comment by Kate – February 26, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zoe and Wade were great together and as opposites seemed to bring out the best in eachother. They seemed to bring out the best in the show too. The characters’ progression gave the show a different, lighthearted vibe that translated well throughout the second season. I hope the writers will revisit Zoe and Wade down the line. Once Wade grows up. He knows what a mistake he made and, hopefully, can be the man the viewers know he can be. We need a third season, CW – please!

Comment by Gillian – February 26, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i totally agree!! i want them back together and im hoping that he’ll see what hes lost out on and that he’ll try to win her back by making rammer jammer a success!

Comment by Swaroopa Rajpurohit – April 12, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With all the drama and sadness in so many TV shows, this show was nice to watch – especially because Zoe and Wade were together. Now I am not sure I want to watch it. It’s just very disappointing.

Comment by Lizzy – February 27, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you Kate.. you would think that it was MY relationship that was on the line… You could really see the investment that the actors had with the characters in the performances… You could see that they were heartbroken FOR their characters… I truly believe that the writers made an error of judgement with Wade’s straying.,.. He would NOT have done this, no matter how self-sabotaging he was/is. He TOTALLY is in love with Zoe and has been since the beginning. He wouldn’t risk it all.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you but I loved having Zoe and Wade together. Maybe Zoe can get together with George for awhile. He is a sweetheart. One thing I do know is as long as they have Wade on the show I can’t imagine not watching the show. You just got to love the guy no matter what he does..

Comment by Barb – March 6, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so OOC! Wade has wanted her since the pilot.

Comment by Jenny – February 26, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. So OOC. To destroy a character for drama’s sake is not right.

Comment by Megan – February 26, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. This came out of nowhere. Wade was being such an understanding boyfriend even though that whole George’s mother stuff. He never doubted them. Then they brought up his failure issues in one episode and he cheats?!!! That is crappy writing and it better lead to Wade redeeming himself and winning Zoe back.

Comment by essie20 – February 26, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Touche! I agree! Crappy writing and an easy way to get into drama and out of the relationship, but WHY? That relationship is what is keeping the viewers!!!

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I don’t think it’s out of character at all. He may have wanted her from the beginning, but that doesn’t mean he won’t cheat. From the beginning of the show he’s been presented as a womanizer. Not only that, he’s cheated on women before. Just because he didn’t love them doesn’t mean his cheating didn’t hurt those girls too. And besides the womanizing behavior he has shown self-destructive tendencies from the beginning of the show. Sex is how he emotes. Things get rough and he self-destructs. This is what they’ve always shown with him. I don’t think it’s character assassination as some are claiming. Rather it’s part of his flaw as a character. I knew from the beginning that this is what was going to happen because they had been developing him that way. I think it very possible that Wade is going to evolve into a better guy and he may still end up with Zoe, but he does need to grow up more. He needs to overcome his self-destructive behavior. He still loves Zoe, he still wants her, but he has some major issues he needs to deal with. He had them before he met Zoe, he had them when he wanted Zoe, he had them when he was with her and he will continue to have them afterwards. So I think on the show we will be watching him face them! This may be upsetting, but I do think it’s realistic and not OOC at all. Just MO. I think it’s good writing rather than complete OOC fan service stuff that’s been happening on too many shows.

Comment by AT – February 26, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree!!

Comment by Sarah – February 26, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • well said, i couldn’t agree more!

Comment by butterrcup – February 26, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely Agree!!! and well said BTW. Perfectly in character for Wade, people with no self esteem often self sabatoge as soon as things start going well for them. What Gave me hope for the future of Wade’s character is that he did fess up, that shows growth.

Comment by Kristy Stalter DeBoer – February 26, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very well said, finally! People watch the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Wanda – February 26, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah! This is the best show! Actually I’m a little bit sad that I read this spoiler, but well, HART OF DIXIE rules!

Comment by Pete S. – March 19, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When has he cheated before? I mean in not this/last episode where they made up a Tansy cheating stuff. I don’t remember that.

I agree that self-destruction is in character, but I feel like cheating on Zoe and lying to her face all blase no big deal didn’t feel like Wade. Sad and self-destructive, yes, but he usually owns up to his mistakes.

Comment by tvwillrotyourbrain – February 27, 2013 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you. I thought I was the only one who couldn’t recall talk of Wade cheating until last night’s train wreck of an episode. This is a classic case of the writer’s using dialogue to change a character’s past. Wasn’t it pretty much written in stone that Wade didn’t do relationships? Wade did casual sex. I’m pretty sure it was determined that Wade not only didn’t commit but the girls knew he was sleeping with a different one. At best he’d have a week or two where he’d only sleep with one but it was by no means a relationship.

Comment by Melanie – February 27, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Seriously? He was MARRIED to Tansy and cheated on her a lot during their marriage.

Comment by Sarah – February 27, 2013 07:07 PM PDT
          • Actually they fought a lot and that was the cause of the split after 4 months of marriage.Then Wade asked her for the divorce which she refused until four years later while she was engaged to Todd Gainey Jr. (haha). But they continued to have sex ocassionally for some months after. The only reference they made about Wade cheating is when they finally went to George for the divorce papers and it was implied that they were talking about the period of time when they were separated but still legally married

Comment by Lara – February 27, 2013 07:18 PM PDT
    • Is this the first episode you’ve ever seen or something? It’s *absolutely* in character for Wade, we just thought he wouldn’t because it’s Zoe.

Comment by Ruby – February 27, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely. I think we just all hoped that he had changed. I hope this will be something that actually inspires him to change, because otherwise, the show has made me sad for no reason.

Comment by Meredith – February 27, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He is changing. It just doesn’t happen over night.

This really isn’t a shock at all. Actually not having this happen would have been completely unrealistic.

This was very predictable, I saw it coming weeks ago. They did do a good job in writing it though, and although predictable, necessary.

Comment by Len – February 27, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This MAY have been in character for the Wade in season 1, episodes 1-around 6ish.. but DEFINITELY NOT late last season or ANY of this season (the girl at christmas doesn’t count because they – he and zoe – were not seeing each other any more.). I feel that the writers gave Wade a HUGE growth spurt this season and then totally derailed the character out of the blue; just this month he was talking about how he needed/wanted to spend more time with Zoe… Hopefully this will be a learning experience for them both and they will come back stronger.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it was OOC.. but it was kind of out of left field. There was no build up to his wandering.. he went from rejecting advances from his ex and catching the flu to be with Zoe – to hooking up out of the blue with some random chick with no middle part. That aside.. I hate that he had to be made a bad guy in order to break them up. I’m still holding out hope that he’s lying.. that he didn’t actually sleep with anyone else and he’s just doing what he does best.. self sabotage.. because he doesn’t think he’s good enough for Zoe and her transformation from ‘wary hookup’ to supportive girlfriend made him realize that they could actually fall in love – and he felt like he had to hurt her sooner rather than later.

Comment by Dane – February 27, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • VERY GOOD… I had actually thought that (hoped that?) as well. Maybe he was drunk and passed out in her bed or something. Maybe he had sex with her but told her “zoe I love you” and it comes out later… Maybe Maybe Maybe. All I know is that they threw ,my favorited character (and “virtual” boyfriend) under the bus for no reason. Very sad for all involved. Characters, actors, viewers.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is exactly what I am hoping. That he possibly passed out, after telling the girl I can’t do this, I love Zoe, but doesn’t remember that he didn’t do it. i could see this as a possibility for Wade as he would have slunk away in shame after waking up anyway. Depends how drunk he was. But I agree, while it might have been Wade before, I just don’t think it fit Wade now. I was actually depressed the next day because it isn’t something they can come back from. She’ll never trust him again. I am very disappointed. There are lots of things they could have had them break up over….it didn’t have to be this.

Comment by ltbennett@cox.net – March 2, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree with you I think that he passed out and Claudette will tell to Zoe that in some point, but the writters needs the drama, just see the number of post in the official web site, they are going to repair this, also, for the NON wade fans , remember that Zoe almost cheated on wade when she was in the boat with sleepy George , and if wade doesn’t show up she could go beyond that night, even when she was the one who asked for a monogamous relationship

Comment by Olga – March 3, 2013 10:50 PM PDT
  • Not happy about the unhappy ending but as long as the show gets renewed I’ll be okay with it. Hey CW I now need a Season 3!

Comment by Missy Kelly – February 26, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must be the only one that thought that Zoe and Wade did not belong together long term. So happy it is done with (for now).

Comment by Sarah – February 26, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, I am totally with you

Comment by Mary – February 26, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I stopped watching because of it but followed the recaps. I still hope it gets renewed.

Comment by tp72 – February 26, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same too, now I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Comment by Nicole – February 26, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! Zoe and Wade just aren’t a fit for me. It doesn’t work as a relationship. It was better as a flirtation.

Comment by Leah – February 26, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m excited to see Zoe with Jonah!! (at least that is what i saw on the promo, but you never know with these things)

Comment by luli – February 26, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not the only one. I actually like George’s character much better. Bad boys are overrated. And they age badly.

Comment by Allison – February 26, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true, Allison! No woman in her right mind wants a bad boy for more than a night!

Comment by Tracy – February 26, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My bad boy addiction is the reason I never date. There are some of us out here that think we’re going to change the bad boy with the heart of gold. Probably why I cried through the entire episode.

Comment by Kristy Stalter DeBoer – February 26, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t dislike Wade at all, but I *love* George.

Comment by Ruby – February 27, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Finally have some George and Zoe fans for company! I never understood the Wade and Zoe thing!!

Comment by GVR – February 27, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more Sarah! I’d like to see Zoe give George a chance!

Comment by Tracy – February 26, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be so sad, ’cause they had their chance and blew it… If they’d end up together, Tansy would be devastated and she recalled in previous episodes that she was tired of bad choices and bad relationships and this for sure would be the same as before!!! Even though I love George, he’s with Tansy now and Zoe will get back with Wade, not in the near future, but when he redeems himself and grows up.

Comment by Jixy – February 27, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, besides do G and Z fans want them to get together like this? I mean Wade and her are not togheter because he screwed up basically, not because she is in love with George or something like that.

Comment by Lara – February 27, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uggghh….To have Zoe with wacky, on 5 red bulls, zaney George crushes my heart. I don’t hate George but from his behavior alone last night and other episodes he is so inconsistent in his energy and behavior. It’s corny and annoying. WTF was going on last night with him?!! I hate the way they write George. I liked Zoe with someone more relaxed and cool. Zoe and George get together and will be two goofballs.

*sigh

My heart hurts thinking about it.

And yea I get it…folks were stepping up for Zoe but it was a hard pill to swallow when George, the man who stood Lemon up at her own wedding for another woman, got in the mix with wanting to beat Wade down. I mean…besides Lemon herself and maybe Brick did anyone jump on George about what he did? I don’t recall. But I’m pretty sure that was a foreshadowing of George being Zoe’s savior and romance interest soon.

Ugggh.

Comment by ZNW – February 27, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very good points. They are writing George to be a nutcase. And my heart hurts too.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. Also, how about George stepping in that night and stopping Wade from doing something stupid! He and Tansy aren’t idiots. They could have grabbed Wade and driven him home. I now he was being a drunk ass, but that is what you do with friends…you don’t just watch!

Comment by ltbennett@cox.net – March 2, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want zoe and george to hurry up and be together. I loved her and wade togther but i prefer her to end up with george.

Comment by alana – March 18, 2013 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • George and Zoe have no chemistry!

Comment by MJO – March 18, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh! Thank goodness!!! I was going crazy with all the Wade and Zoe talk!! Wade is a nice guy but Zoe and George really belong together!! When they first met it was so obvious that they belong together!!

Comment by Lauren – December 14, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aw man :( breaks my hart!

Comment by Elyse – February 26, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad. She belongs with George

Comment by Mary – February 26, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree.

Comment by jjovana3 – February 26, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • George is boring. He’s much more interesting with Tansy.

Comment by Radha – February 27, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup! Agree! I thought, from the very beginning, that George + Zoe is the main point of the script.They just try to procrastinate their ”get-together” in order to strike the iron while it is hot.

Comment by Anita – March 5, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That may have been the point of the script when the show began almost 2 years ago, however, it has been proven from the pilot that her chemistry with Wade is so much more than anything she could possibly have with George. Just because they like the same movies, food, and lived in NY doesn’t make for sexy hot and all consuming love. All it is a a really good friendship. That is where Wade comes in!!! He is a good guy but there is so much more to him, he a is very complex character. Sure George can have his shot because I am sure the show HAS to go there for Wade and Zoe to end up together, but there won’t be that electricity like she has with Wade. The majority of fans who want Wade and Zoe to be together can’t be wrong. We know what we like and want.

Comment by Dee – March 5, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREEEDDDD

Comment by alana – March 18, 2013 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart is broken!! I can’t believe the writers did that with Wade’s character…there was NO need…I love him and I want him and Zoe togheter…but I think the writers made the wrong decision, he could have done something else

Comment by Anna :) (@annastm) – February 26, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never cared much about Wade/Zoe so no big deal. Actually, I’m losing interest in the show as a whole.

Comment by Ron – February 26, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t been watching loyally since the beginning of the season (and I’m a fan of Zoe and George), but having Wade cheat on Zoe seems kinda out of the blue and out of character… It’s too bad they ended it so abruptly, and for such an awful reason.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – February 26, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The writers have these two complex characters who have been struggling with learning how to be in a relationship and dealing with their insecurities and they picked cheating to break them up… How very CW of them. So cheap, especially when you see how good the characters development had been this season, up until this point.

Comment by sundaystorms (@sundaystorms) – February 26, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very well said. They could’ve found a dozen different reasons to break them up or add tension. Why cheating?

Comment by Megan – February 26, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its CW what do you expect. Cheating is a mandatory storyline in every show.

Comment by locke – February 26, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Apart from Supernatural… ;-)

Comment by Lisa London – February 27, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think they picked cheating because that is the one thing Zoe couldn’t forgive. Not only that, cheating actually makes perfect sense for his character whether or not we like it.

Comment by AT – February 26, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think what broke them up was his self-esteem/self-sabotage issues, his downright refusal to fulfill his potential that everyone sees but him. His cheating was a display of the sabotage, especially because he knew it was a non-starter with Zoe and a way to complete the downward spiral of his self-destruction. In a way he almost hated her for believing in him.

Comment by Ro – February 27, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • : ((((((((

This came out of nowhere. Boooooooooo to Hart of Dixie for not giving us more of a build up. Wade was being such a great boyfriend to her and then this?!!!

Watching him plead to her was hard. I hope this isn’t the end for them. I like others on the show but they were my main thing and without them I probably wouldn’t watch consistently. And I was liking the direction of Wade. Why did they make him backtrack? : (

Comment by ZnW – February 26, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wade and Zoe were fraying for a couple of episodes, so this was quite expected for me. It was also strangely in character for Wade, he just can’t handle good things happening to him so he does all he can to sabotage his happiness.
    As for Zoe, she deserves someone to take care of her for a change.

Comment by Kay – February 26, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was poor character development. Wade was growing…even saw him not reach during the George/mom episode. He was at a place where he didn’t doubt what they had. They were both falling in love and then BAM, one episode and we get this?!!! George got a whole freaking season to be wishy washy about Lemon. Lemon got a whole season to ponder about her relationship with Lavon. We get one band night and Wade tosses his whole relationship away?!! I call bullcrap. The only way to savage this for me is for Wade to work towards getting his bar and winning Zoe back. I didn’t even get my I Love Yous yet for them and I definitely believe Zoe and Wade had fallen in love with each other and never got to state it.

Comment by essie20 – February 26, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am with you, well said. I too feel like they were falling in love and WHERE ARE THE I LOVE YOU’S—-i WAS WAITING FOR THEM TOO!!! Very poor character development and WRITING. It sucks! In one episode he totally does a 180 and becomes someone else. All this time they have been developing his character and then bam in 1 episode it is all destroyed. He was growing and changing so much. He didn’t cheat with the blonde when they were only casual (he didn’t even want to), he trusted their relationship and Zoe feelings for him with the George/Mom thing, he wanted a real date and a real relationship, he has been fighting for her since the beginning. This whole episode is very upsetting. I was crying for Wade at the end. Zoe and Wade are my favorite couple and wait and wait and wait for the next episode just to see what happens with them next. I know I keep saying the same things because I can’t wrap my head around what the writers have done. My brain is spinning and my heart is breaking. I truely hope they get it right and put them back together. This is just wrong.

Comment by Dee – February 26, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree. Zoe and Wade are my reason for watching the show. The chemistry between them is explosive. Want them back. So writers do your job and give them back to us.

Comment by Deirdreanne – April 3, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Amen sister! Wade and Zoe are my reason for watching too.. The writers made a big mistake….I’m hoping that they fix this, and that we can get a season three to see Zade make their way back to eachother!

Comment by MJO – April 3, 2013 09:51 AM PDT
      • He didn’t doubt what they had until Zoe made the comment about him never having had a career. Then he started doubting himself. No one has ever supported him or made him feel like he could accomplish anything and when Zoe bought him that sign for his bar he began freaking out about disappointing her. For fear of disappointing her and her breaking up with him bc of it he imploded and got it over quickly.

Comment by Meredith – February 26, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with your assessment. This was a blindside and I wanted those, “I love you’s”.

Comment by Cejaye – February 27, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree! I’m actually being naive enough to hope that Wade actually DIDN”T REALLY have sex with that girl (tramp?/ skank?) but maybe fell asleep! All this just came out ofthe blue. Talk about self-sabotage, writers, look at yourselves!!!!!

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny, the whole time they’ve been together I kept thinking Wade should break up with Zoe because she’s not good enough for him. I mean, that comment about him not having a career alone…

Comment by Ruby – February 27, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF. This was bad writing. SO out of character for Wade who worshipped Zoe. Just terrible character writing, sorry. You lost a fan, HoD.

Comment by megan – February 26, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was sad as hell, but that was NOT out of character. Wade was a womanizing bad boy who never had a serious relationship except maybe with Tanzie who he CHEATED on. He panicked when he realized how invested in him Zoe was and went back to what he knew, picking up woman in bars. I get that he loves her, but a drunk guy who believes he’s a loser will go a long way to prove himself right.

Comment by Kristy Stalter DeBoer – February 26, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES it was. People can change and Wade was all about showing Zoe how devoted he was to her. This came out of the blue. They werent even unhappy with each other. So it absolutely WAS out of character.

Comment by megan – February 27, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes,you said it. It was so out of character, especially with all the character growing he has been doing…

Comment by Dee – February 27, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Uh, Wade has been unhappy pretty much the whole time because he’s never felt good enough for Zoe, when in fact the reverse is true.

Comment by Ruby – February 27, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree with you Megan!!!

Comment by Dee – March 1, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am super bummed about it! I actually thought they were sexy and interesting! They were like any normal couple so it was a taste of real life! Hopefully something good comes for her, bless her hart!

Comment by Jamie – February 26, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was heart breaking to watch! It was pretty obvious where the episode was going and the build up was almost cruel! I disagree with those saying it was out of character. They have spent the whole show’s run building up the fact that Wade cheats – even though he was changing and truly cares for Zoe, he freaked out and reverted to who he used to be. I really hope it gets renewed to hopefully give Wade plenty of time to win her back!

Comment by Kristen – February 26, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ wouldn’t say Wade once didn’t have those ways in his character but the Wade of recently DID NOT. When Zoe asked him to be in a casual relationship but only be with her he agreed. He came forward and asked that they made things serious and go on a real date. In one episode they brought back him trying to open a bar and how he fails at everything and all of a sudden he cheats. It just seems like lazy writing…an easy way out to end something and I felt they were developing more than that. But I guess with the future of this show up in the air and how everyone seems to be tossed and split up it was bound to happen. It still makes me hurt for Wade because his character is taking a major hit here and from what we’ve seen already the town is against him.

Comment by essie20 – February 26, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly think this will negatively affect ratings on an already struggling show. Personally, I may store a few episode on my dvr before deciding if I’m going to continue. Not really interested after the breakup, especially considering none of Wade’s actions make ANY sense according to the character the show has built over the last two seasons.

Comment by Nicole – February 26, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well if this show only works for you if one particular couple gets together and experiences no conflict, then you might as well go. In fact, you might as well just stop watching TV altogether, because that’s pretty much what happens on every show. Drama, conflict, cheating, breakups…that’s why the show is interesting. You act as if there are no future episodes of this show, and this is the last thing that will ever happen.

Comment by Ruby – February 27, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay, maybe I will, lol. You know it’s a free country, right? I can choose to watch whatever I want. Why would I waste my time watching television I don’t enjoy?

Comment by Nicole – February 27, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And, yeah, Zoe/Wade was pretty much the only thing I found enjoyable about this show. And now it’s gone (haphazardly destroyed, in fact)…so the logical conclusion would be….?

Comment by Nicole – February 27, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ruby… there actually are only 5 more episodes of the show FOR SURE. And most shows do not just change an arc in one (or two) episodes that has been building for over a season. I think we all would be feeling a little less cheated if Wade had shown any inclination in another woman, other than Zoe, in the past year (the woman he was with christmas eve day doesn’t count because he thought he didn’t have a relationship with zoe anymore)… This comes out of the blue.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show. Why is it on every tv show they have to ruin it with stupid plot lines. This was one of the few shows that I thought they had it right, but no, as always they had to ruin a great show. Oh well it was good while it lasted. I will find a different one to watch.

Comment by Lyda – February 26, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading the article and posts, I don’t want to watch the episode. :(

My only hope is that the series’ end game is Zoe and Wade together. That is why they had to break them up. If not, then this show is just wrong!

Comment by Melosm – February 26, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe I’m just a perverse creature- I adore Zoe and Wade and hope they eventually find their way back- but I thought the last 20 minutes were heart-braking in a really beautiful way. Kinda want to re-watch it. I don’t think we’ve ever seen either character that sad on the the show, that quiet and still. Wade called it “creepy”- but it was kind of mesmerizing. Wilson and Rachel killed it.

Comment by Alice – February 26, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. It was very sad and I’m absolutely disappointed in the writing. But the acting was AMAZING! Wilson Bethel and Rachel Bilson both did fabulous work in their final scene together. Loved it!

Comment by Kelli – February 27, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are totally right. Rachel and Wilson did do the scene beautifully, and when they were in the church—during the ceremony, no words and then after just—–”Zoe” and “I know”. That moment it felt like I got punched in the stomach. I cried with all the emotion from them. Felt my own heart breaking because I have fallen in love with this couple. I wait for HOD just for their scenes…they are my fav on TV. Thanks for nothing writers.

Comment by Dee – February 27, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I loved the chemistry that these two characters have and always rewind to watch the last scenes with Zoe and Wade again. I hate that the writers have ruined this relationship, especially since they might get cancelled. So this is the way they want to end our favorite show and the main characters storyline? I call Foul………

Comment by wendyy – March 5, 2013 04:51 PM PDT
          • I do the same thing. I dvr the show, watch it while it is on, and rewind to the Zoe and Wade parts again and again. I am addicted to Zoe and Wade. I agree, I hate what the writers did and you make a very good point: if the show gets cancelled (god I hope not) this is the most horrible way to end the best, and my favorite, couple on TV. So bummed…. :’(

Comment by Dee – March 5, 2013 06:20 PM PDT
    • It’s kind a like life…most of the things take a different turn than we expect

Comment by Anita – March 5, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I cannot believe what just happened on the show. I was expecting it to be sad because of the previews, but having Wade cheat? Really? I hope that in the upcoming episodes Wade will be given a chance to really change and redeem himself and to fight for her. I love the two of them together and hope that this is not the end. At the beginning of season one I liked Zoe and George, but I cannot picture the two of them as a couple at all now after seeing the way she and Wade are together. I can only hope that something better is coming as we near the season finale. Please writers mend my broken heart!

Comment by Cindy – February 26, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they made him cheat.. he worked so hard from the very first day they met to win her only to cheapen his feelings for her in on episode.. writer’s go back to the beginning and realize what made of fall in love with the whole WADE AND ZOE relationship…he has always been there for her…. Not George.!!! Put them back together.

Comment by michelle – February 26, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can tell by the interviews that even the actors are completely bewildered by this. There are a few die hard George/Zoe fans, but the majority of viewers are going to be pissed, especially since the drama was done so cheaply. I call show suicide.

Comment by Nicole – February 26, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with every single word of this. Wilson seemed really disappointed and rightly so. I liked his comment about the fact that this is the way network TV works because that’s all there is to it really, creating stuppid drama for drama’s sake. And in the cheapest, most damaging way at that, when so many other options were available. Now all the Wade-bashing can start…and after such a stellar season for him. What a shame.

Comment by Jade – February 26, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • C’mon guys…this is just a show! Shows are short-lived, and they have to be dramatic, otherwise we would get bored. Who want’s some action??!!!!

Comment by Anita – March 5, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I want some action. Some Zade lovin’ action. Alas won’t get that again. For a looooooooooooooong time. If ever

Comment by Allison – March 5, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I think for a lot of fans (myself included) the issue isn’t the breakup but how it was done. Similar to Dan and Blair on GG–the fans (of which I’m not one but I sympathize) didn’t deserve this crap breakup storyline, especially considering how many legitimate ways this could have gone. “Cheap” is a good way to describe it.

Comment by Kristina – February 26, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s funny, I was thinking this whole thing sounded a lot like how they torpedoed Chuck and Blair’s relationship- by making the male character do something basically unforgivable, just so they could pair the female character with someone else for awhile, as opposed to Dan and Blair breaking up because she was never that into him. Point being, no one should be surprised by this type of plot device coming from Fake Empire anymore. Once bitten, twice shy, and all that.

Comment by MB – February 27, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seems like TPTB wanted Zoe with someone else and the Zoe/Wade pairing was so popular with viewers that Wade cheating was the only way to break them up. Big mistake! I hope the writers rectify this – go with the chemistry. Zoe/Wade work – don’t force a pairing that doesn’t.

Comment by Cassie – February 27, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, what a stupid move from the writers. There was no need to destroy all the development they had created for Wade (and Zoe, together) like that. There were real issues that could have separated them without throwing the show’s favorite character under the bus in the most OOC way. On episode of him freaking out in an entire season of being an outstanding guy to Zoe absolutely doesn’t justify this storyline. It’s ridiculous, melodramatic and it sabotages Wade for no reason. It also kills the best part of the shoe (Wade, Zoe/Wade) to the vast majority of the audience. This is a feel good show and a romantic comedy to me, there’s nothing fun in watching writers sabotage it like that. Bad, bad move. I think they’ll soon realize that without the Zoe/Wade dynamic, the show looses much of it’s charm and tone.

Comment by Jade – February 26, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet that’s what they wanted…to knock Wade to his knees. Ouch. And yea…even the other actors were going WTF after reading the script, even Rachel herself. I just …I don’t know…don’t like the speed of it…don’t like how cheap it comes off. From the last episode I was even bewildered by seeing Bethel having to act all One Tree Hill on me…it just seemed crazy off watching him all down and out lol.

Comment by essie20 – February 26, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beautifully said Jade.. I concur! However, obviously, it’s not a feel good show anymore. (Personally, I find all of the other storylines kind of stupid… and the only other two characters I can abide are Rose and AnnaBeth)… I dont’ remember who called “show suicide” but I am beginning to agree. It’s almost like they HAD to get Zoe with George somehow because that was the original plan, no matter that the story was writing itself with the chemistry of the lead actors.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like it much. There were parts that were great. But Zoe and Wade breaking up, even though I knew it was coming. Bothered me more than I even though it would. Wade had evolved so much and for him to take such a step backward seems so out of character for him now. I just think it was a bad move on the writers part to do this so early on in their relationship. I think they could possibly lose some viewership. Hopefully that’s not the case, but I’m honestly not looking forward to what’s to come with them apart, not because of the love relationship, but their scenes together and chemistry were one of a kind on this show. It’s going to be tough to watch. Hopefully it all works out by the season finale. Quite a bummer of an episode.

Comment by L a u r e n (@freeasabirdart) – February 26, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This comment from Bethel is why I’m nervous…

————————-

So is he admitting the cheating angle was done because of the triangle? That would make me sad even more : (

Comment by essie20 – February 26, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In some ways what he is saying makes sense. I guess the HoD viewers should have expected that Zoe and Wade wouldn’t stay together for a while. After all in order to keep things interesting there must be cheating. Happens on every CW show. It even happens on the CW shows that aren’t romances. I just don’t think we needed to limit it to just a few shows. Did they even get seven happy shows before things went fubar? Wasn’t Christmas when she asked him to be her boyfriend? So really I guess we should be happy we got a few before they ruined it.

I really hate CW shows. Even worse I hate that I believed for a second that HoD could be different.

Comment by Melanie – February 26, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your last line of your comment is so telling….and I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. My head is still spinning. I Am So So SAD :’(

Comment by Dee – February 27, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t believe how invested I got in this relationship. I’ve been telling ALL OF MY FRIENDS that they had to watch this show because it was fun and frothy and would make them happy. I loved watching the evolution of Wade with all of his “wise sage” comments to everyone “change your life or change your picture,” the stuff he said to the kid in the tree, making the black and white cookies. Even last night when he wanted to walk down the aisle with her. He LOVES her. She LOVES him. There is pain and sorrow in real life… can’t we have fun and froth on tv? And I still say, the character that they’ve been writing would not have cheated. We ALL agree with this. It WAS cheap. I’m so pissed.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was one of the worst episodes ever

Comment by Steph Walker – February 26, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I AM TOTALLY HEARTBROKEN!! I LOVE this show. It’s always my happy place and now they’ve ruined it! The show’s been on a real roll lately with excellent episodes, but I’m not sure I think this was a good decision. I feel like they’ve messed up all the character development they wrote for Wade as a plot device to create tension and break them up. I know Wade’s sorry and all but after everything they’ve been through together and individually to get to where they were just seems wasted now. I mean how does anyone on the show forgive him or move past what he did to Zoe. The way the show is structured, everyone’s going to have to hate him. I don’t know, I’m not going to stop watching as I have already said, I love the show, but I’m nervous about it going forward (but I still want it renewed in case any CW folks are reading this! Haha).

Comment by KK – February 26, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I TOTALLY agree with you KK.. in fact I almost wrote the exact same thing on the facebook page last night!!! How can they think that they are going to keep viewers by doing this?? I’d just as soon keep watching my dvd from season one and my dvr from season two and STOP at christmas! WTF! You know that alcoholism runs in his (wade’s) family.. I hope they don’t send him in THAT direction! Is the CW angry with Wilson Bethel for something? Do they think that the whole Zoe/Wade thing hijacked their “plans”for the show??? I understand he was originally not supposed to be such a main character, but “Wade” just grew, like Urkel in “Family Matters.” I hope they both come out of this and we have time (as viewers) to see it happen. I, for one, have absolutely NO interest with seeing Zoe with anyone else but Wade. The new guy is a skeve and George is turning into a nutter. Wade IS the heart in the “Hart of Dixie.”

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The writers had a chance to do something great with this show, to step out of the box and do something different. They turned that stepped on that idea, crapped on it and waved a middle finger at faithful fans. Given how well this show has been written until the last couple episdodes, it’s safe to say I’ve never been as disappointed with a lazy, cop-out writing “twist” as this one. Simply awful. This is about more than the breakup of a TV show couple, it’s about total loss of faith in my favorite show writers. I’m completely disgusted that they gave us an old, used up cliche in order to take the easy way out and amuse themselves because, apparently, they were bored. Good for them. I’ll still watch the show, but from the number of angry fans I see, I may be in the minority. If this does indeed kill the show, I hope they enjoy knowing it was this ridiculous decision that did it.

Comment by Kristina – February 26, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There have been out of box movies…but no one seems to watch or talk about them!

Comment by Anita – March 5, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so so sad. I don’t remember feeling this invested in a TV relationship in a loooong time. I hope somehow Wade and Zoe find their way back to each other, but the whole cheating scenario is going to make that infinitely harder!! Boo I’m depressed :(

Comment by Sarah – February 26, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched all season 1 and caught up in season 2 a few weekends ago. Now I’m caught up and have to wait weekly for new episodes. Loved Loved Loved this show! Soooooooo disappointed in tonight’s episode. Now not sure I’ll keep watching. :(

Comment by CC – February 26, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wade is a good character besides him this show is so uninteresting and meaningless. Wilson Bethel deserves better, his talent is wasted in this stupid triangle, with two annoying characters. Come to Arrow bro.

They can give you a superhero role or some role with action and other cool stuff to do.

Comment by Zathus – February 26, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not the breakup that is bothering me, we all knew it was meant to happen to create drama, it’s the cheap and cavaliere way in which they destroyed Wade’s character develeppoment and Zoe and Wade’s spectacular bond that is truly gutting and infuriating at the same time. I feel betrayed and used as a fan of the show. They should at least have treated their own creation with respect. I think it’s pretty clear that Wade and his relationship with Zoe have been the driving force of the show for a while now and the standout element too. Now they’ve deliberately sabotaged it and it’s very sad to see. I’m not sure the show can keeo the same interest to me in that context.

Comment by Mollie – February 26, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well said Mollie!

Comment by Elyse – February 27, 2013 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perfectly written Molly… wish I said it. I TOTALLY agree.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember when The OC chose to kill Marissa off and that was potentially the end of it?Yeah well, in my book this is just as bad. I am so disappointed right now.

Comment by megan – February 26, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seems to be a pattern for the CW writers. Flash mobs, love triangles, cheating, etc., across several shows. It’s too bad in this instance because Wade and Zoe were a couple I think many of us were looking forward to watching save each other and evolve. Wade worked so hard to get Zoe and she finally gives in and we get half a season out of it. Boooo to the writers. And honestly, I don’t see Zoe and Tansy hanging out together either. Tansy is the female version of Wade. Is she going to cheat on Zoe too?

Comment by Sara – February 26, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well done writers, its shows a lot of balls and guts to go against a rabid, “Internet popular” shipper fandom like the Zade Nation. You chosen to be true to your characters, plots and show first and for most, even hough you knew the zade outcry was going to be deafening. Wade is a bad boy kind of guy, lets not pretend otherwise . eventually he was gonna mess up. And you had to stay true to his character.

Thats what I call good showrunning. BRAVO.

[Btw I dont even like Zoe/George, they are so dull together]

Comment by Drako – February 26, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s not pretend HoD is this gutsy, edgy show that’s about “staying true to it,s character” over popularity. It’s supposed to be a quirky, funny, feel good show which it just isn’t with this “twist”. And if you think all Wade is is “a bad boy kind of guy”, then I wonder what show you’ve been watching. I’m not much of a shipper either, but Wade has always been my reason to tune in and I don’t appreciate that out of all the possible screw ups they could have made him do, they chose the most damaging one that doesn’t even fit his journey from the beginning.

Comment by Marcus – February 26, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its storytelling, dear.

The story is not yours to tell. The characters screwed up because thats the story the writers wanted to tell. Yes, It would be easier to write perfect prince charmings and saints, to please fans but they didnt.

“Bad boy kind of guy””, thats why its in quotes. I know the kind of character wade has evolved to be a really rootable great guy. But it doesnt mean he is now perfect and cant do stupid things. People make mistakes and they learn from them.

Comment by Drako – February 26, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Explain to me how Wade is a “bad boy kind of guy.” Is it because he fixes his cars shirtless or his years of casual sex relationships? Is it because he isn’t a lawyer but a bartender?

Wade isn’t even in the ballpark of a bad boy. He remained in Bluebell to sing his father off a roof once a month. He has continually done things to help others oftentimes without expecting gratitude or recognition. He has a mischievous side to him, He likes to push Zoe’s buttons but other than innuendo when before this episode has he ever been disrespectful? Wade was consistently shown to be the one that many people counted on even though he did it at his own pace or in his own way.

The writers don’t have guts or balls. They essentially took a page out of every other CW show and followed the formula. How they get there is the only thing that makes each show different. Where would a CW show be without a few beautiful girls, hot guys, some partial nudity, some sex, and some cheating? The only way to distinguish shows is to see if there is crime-fighting, vampires, or rich kids sexing it up and cheating on each other. Guts would have been doing something with more long term consequences. A pregnancy? An STD? A death? I’d lay off the praise for the writers because I’m sure there is a CW magic ointment to fix this. Zoe’s next BF won’t give her the sparks that Wade did. She’ll need to turn to Wade for help after the next BF screws up somehow.

Comment by Melanie – February 26, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH!!! This is so on point. You need to send it to CW lol.

Comment by essie20 – February 27, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The CW would really hate me actually if ever they were to listen to my opinion. I’m not expecting ground-breaking television but I am expecting that they stop spinning the wheel of plot lines. Do they have to take a number to go into a room and spin it? Do the writers of each show wave at each other as they come out. I’m envisioning it like American Idol. HoD writer comes out with a slip of paper in their hand screaming “I landed the cheating story line.” Nearby 90210′s writer is crestfallen because they have the same plot. VD and BATB writer’s each go in and take their turn and come out with the “sex issue” story line since they have humans freaking it up with monsters. Nikita, Arrow, and SPN have to contend with their leads being hot killers. How do we make them sympathetic? Why we remove some of their clothing.

They all either spin the same wheel of plot contrivances or they all graduated from the same thirteen week course taught by some hack on how to write a television show. The big networks manage to each air the same genre shows without so blatantly stepping on the same plot lines and characterizations.

This though is why the network is failing. Their shows are completely interchangeable without a trace of originality. Their big investment for next season is a spin off of their most popular show. There isn’t much to set apart their different series. The underlying theme of all of them is what is hampering the network from gaining ratings. The current viewers are growing up and they have to wait for the tweens to come of age to get caught up in the drama. The problem is that the tweens are becoming more mature at younger ages so the mediocrity is killing the CW.

As a writer it has been instilled in me to give readers the benefit of the doubt. Don’t dumb the story down so much that the reader rolls their eyes in annoyance at being treated stupid. The same can be said for television shows. The CW needs to begin treating its viewers with more respect.

Comment by Melanie – February 27, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would say he’s a bad boy with a good heart that’s how I would describe his character. The episode when Zoe was bitten by a snake was when I first fell in love with Wade, he was carrying her in to the clinic and she was complaining he wouldn’t just let her walk and I was thinking just shut up and let him do it.

Comment by liz – February 28, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • though*

Comment by Drako – February 26, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I DVR the ep and watched PLL becuz I figured this would be the outcome. Always preferred Zoe w/Wade so I’m glad I didn’t waste my time watching it. I think I’ll delete the ep so I can make room for something else. The character assassination was completely uncalled for & it came out of no where. The writers had a great opportunity to show how 2 adults can struggle thru their insecurities successfully but no they went a teen angst route with adults. GRR ARG!
    I seriously don’t care if HOD gets renewed now. This is a crap move that I would expect on 90210 not on HOD, way to go HOD writers. (Oh, in case u missed it writers.. That was sarcasm!!).

Comment by Sunshine – February 26, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you.. they really did miss out on a great opportunity to show how a couple that loves each other can work through their differences… and they were doing that, and growing. There was NO reason for this total character assassination… He didn’t deserve it.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is like gilmore girls all over again!!!!!!!! This show affects me so much! If it doesn’t come back imma die!

Comment by HODlover1197 – February 26, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am disgusted and speechless…

Comment by Heidi – February 26, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my little Zade heart is so crushed and devastated after this latest installment! please please please do not let this be the reason the show dies and does not get a third season! I want it to continue and have Zoe and Wade back together for good! Here is hoping the safe bet for renewal rating sticks.

Comment by Jody – February 26, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually loved this episode. This is what Hart of Dixie should be every week. The writing was good, the emotions were real, there was weirdness in the town, etc…Everything in the episode came together. All the actors upped their game. I think this show is better when relationships are a part of it, but not the only focus. The past few episodes have felt too “shippy” so I was really happy to see some real character development here. What I loved about it was that the end of the show is no longer so obvious. She might end up with Wade, she might not. And for those saying it’s out of character for Wade to cheat, well he’s always been a womanizer. He has cheated before on other girls. Not only that, he has shown time and time again that when things get tough for him he self-destructs. This is no different. I personally don’t think it demonizes him, rather it gives him layers. People can imagine Wade to be the character they believe him to be, or they can see him as he’s been written since day one. I personally love the character they’ve written, and I look forward to seeing him evolve. Also, I think it’s interesting that Zoe may not have found the guy she can be “weird” with. It could be Wade (after he’s grown up more), it could be George, it could be some new guy OR it could even be Lavon. I did get a little vibe when they were dancing. Sometimes best friends can change over time and develop feelings. They experience all these heartaches together and then ultimately find each other. Certainly a possibility. One of the best developments of this episode happened with Lemon and Annabeth. It’s possible they will end up as independent women who don’t end up with any guys. I think that’s a very positive message. Not everyone gets married. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t, but they have each other and don’t have to define themselves by their relationships with men. Anyway, really great episode!

Comment by AT – February 26, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, no Zoe/Lavon. He already has his triangle (quadrangle if you count what’s her name who left). The relationships in this town are mixed up enough as is. And I agree with you about Lemon & Annabeth.

Comment by Mo – February 26, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson Bethel does such an amazing job portraying Wade. He by far is my favorite charachter on HOD and after watching Wade grow and develop over the past two seasons it is heartbreaking for this to have happened. The one thing that you could always count on was Wade ultimately doing the right thing even when it meant putting others before what he needed or wanted. I really just hate this for both Wade/Wilson. It sounds like the whole cast was shocked and saddened what the writers chose to do to their story. I really hope that they have something good planned for them by the end of the season.

Comment by Cindy – February 26, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel horrible for Wade/Wilson as well. He is an AMAZING actor and truly breathes life into this character. If he wasn’t so good, all of us wouldn’t care as we do. Both he and Rachel were excellent in this episode. I just wish they didn’t have to do it. It was unnecessary.

Comment by devi – February 27, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meeeeeeerdaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Comment by WTF – February 26, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im depressed about this now cuz im a huge zoe/wade shipper and this tore me up.. and I find it pretty bad that even the ppl who didn’t want them together also think its bad the way they broke up.. very bad writing indeed

Comment by Katie – February 26, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO BUMMED. I swear if they don’t make this right by the end of the season in case the show doesn’t get renewed I will feel like the 2 seasons I invested in and loved this show were a complete waste.

What a cop-out. A break-up is fine, but cheating is just so unnecessary and unearned after everything Zoe and Wade have been through. Hate this.

Comment by Shari – February 26, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Che schifo!!!!!

Comment by WTF – February 26, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mavaffanculo

Comment by WTF – February 26, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Zoe and George just get together already? They belong together!

Comment by Leah – February 26, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They won’t get together because of this.

Comment by Andrea (@haveaHaven) – February 27, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do they belong together? Because of equal status, income, education? Zoe and Wade have chemistry. It began with George being the draw but Wade watched Zoe like a man on fire and women crave that kind of passion. Not sure some fire diminished in the capturing but I thought for sure she would look at Wade on that bench and say “and here I thought we were falling in love”! I started out on board with the George/Zoe line but the night George went out of town and Zoe followed him something didn’t feel right about the possibility. I’m not sure what other options there are though. Seems like the writers didn’t even see the evolution of Zoe/Wade and outside of Wade winning some money to somehow “equalize” them in some tangible way they just didn’t know where to go?

Comment by Rieta – March 2, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. I never saw any chemistry between Georg and Zoe, but when they were in New Orleans it really seemed wrong. What does education and status have to do with loving someone? What matters is the person and I believe Wade is a good person but doesn’t like to let people in, until Zoe. I love their chemistry on screen, it was so electric but seemed so natural at the same time. I don’know what the problem was with the writers creativity that they couldn’t figure out where to go with Zoe and Wade because I can see sing much potential. They still push each others buttons but still have that great irresistible chemistry about them… Even if they had to break up for drama’s sake so they could get back together at some point, why the sleazy cheating angle? Where can they go from here? So disappointed, they are my favorite couple and why I really watched the show.

Comment by Dee – March 2, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why people are so upset.Wade has always been a bad boy, a womanizer,a playboy and someone who self destructs/self sabatoges cause of his insecurities.Plus, it’s real that people make mistake.

Comment by Brandy – February 26, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m out. Hart of Dixie was a charming show but does anyone in Bluebell know how to have a relationship without cheating? Apparently you have to leave faithfulness to the Yankees. Lemon cheated on George. George cheated on Lemon (emotionally with Zoe). Wade cheated on Zoe. Lavon knew Lemon was engaged but had a relationship with her.

Cheating wasn’t Wade’s character. Casual sex was. Before Zoe had Wade had a relationship? I do believe we were told that he hadn’t but had bedded most of Bluebell and the surrounding towns. Even his marriage to Tansy was a hoax that they both essentially brushed off until she needed to be divorced. He chose to be monogamous before Zoe did. She thought their casual sex was casual but from the start he had remained loyal to her. I don’t doubt he would have had plenty of opportunities to sleep with other women, but he entered the relationship before he did. She made plenty of effort.

What was OOC was how Zoe all the sudden found fault with him. She chose to sleep with and then date her neighbor, the bartender. She never took issue with his lack of career (total horse crap) before. All the sudden she is throwing it in his face two episodes in a row.

There were so many other hurdles the writers could have chosen to throw at them instead of the cliche cheating scandal. Zoe could have received a call from New York that could have brought doubts up in Wade’s mind about their relationship and he could have pushed her away. The sex could have slowed with conflicting schedules and it could have lead to more arguing and a closer look at why they were together. A tornado could have blown through and made them move in together and given the close proximity they could have questioned if a relationship was right for them. Crazy Earl could have died and suddenly Wade’s reason for staying in Bluebell has vanished and he had some decisions to make.

So many ways to go. Do the writers of CW shows all attend the same writing school? This show just took a nosedive in originality and became the drivel that most CW shows are made of There is no explanation that I can imagine the writers coming up with that could make this right. .

Comment by Melanie – February 26, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with this post. They could have gone in so many directions and made so many more funny hilarious episodes with these two. i personally was glad that she chose Wade. He is better looking anyway. Granted they took the cliche out way to break up which was stupid, but puts damper on the 1st season and how much Wade fought to get Zoe. They could had gone in any other direction, but chose a cop out way. Granted there was not even a buildup to it or need for it and just bam I cheated.

Comment by Shannon – February 27, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are very eloquent with your words and insight. I am just as angry as you are and thank you for stating this atrocity so well. I am pissed!!!! There is so much more for them. Their relationship makes the show. How could this happen—cheap cop out!!!

Comment by Dee – February 27, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hated it, Zoe/Wade what a waste !!

Comment by Bellaz – February 26, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post