Supernatural Scoop: Misha Collins to Return as Series Regular for Season 9

Get More: News

SUPERNATURALThe angels have answered your prayers, Supernatural fans.

Misha Collins will return to the CW series as a series regular next season (the show’s ninth).

In addition to reprising his role as the heavenly angel Castiel, Collins will direct an episode as well.

Collins made his debut as Cas in the Season 4 premiere and was promoted to regular cast member the following year. He was then taken off contract at the end of Season 6, but still continued to recur.

The CW recently gave an early renewal order to the long-running series.

Comments (575)

• im sorry but i disagree with most of the people here about Castiel not being a regular character in Supernatural BRING HIM BACK! i have’nt watch’d season 8 yet lol im in UK im excited :D!!!

Comment by Supernatural Mega Fan! – February 27, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are actually agreeing with the majority here. Look at the poll, and the larger bulk of the comments. Conversely most of the disagreeing comments are from a vocal minority that calls itself, hilariously, the silent majority. :D

Comment by Tessa – February 27, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YEP, most by far want Cas back.

Comment by JJ – March 24, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • suck it haters

Comment by Ane (@anelise) – February 27, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Such a rude comment from a pathetic example of a human. Don’t get me wrong it’s bad, but good on you for being true to who you really are. A sad, lonely, lost, miserable human being with no goals or desire to do anything but being a below average human representation to others.
      Sincerely, Everyone human with an IQ above…….well way above yours thats for sure.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cas has become a big part of the show and many fans love him to death! It’s great that we have him back like in the old days

Comment by Lily – February 27, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can you say anything else more obvious and boring? A 2 year old has more imagination than you on what to comment on a forum. You must bored people to death…..OH i get it, you are perfect for that saying…..here it is..wait for it……” For ever alone”.
      Have a wonderful day…..a try not to bore others to death please.
      Sincerely, well….me.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still waiting for the announcement that Cas is going to snap his fingers AND BRING BOBBY BACK RIGHT NOW.

Comment by Norah – February 27, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 1000% The old “gang” back together again.

Comment by The Devil Is In The Details... – March 23, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SOOO glad Cas, Misha Collins, is coming back!!! Seriously all they need to do is bring back Gabriel/ the Trickster and Bobby and I will be VERY happy. :)

Comment by Cindy – February 27, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SOOOO SOOOO….seriously? you can’t express yourself through the computer by running the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and the OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO’s. Wow your comment was just rude and annoying to read. I’m sure you hurt a lot of the fans here. Let me guess you had divorced parents too, and you have daddy issues….. /sigh. Please get your family/self issues sorted out before socializing with other humans. No offense but your low IQ spreads around like AIDS. You should refrain from socializing with other until you seek professional help…..maybe, even get exorcised while you’re at it.

I’ll pray for your soul…..seriously…..you need prayers badly. May god be with you…..

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading these reply’s are better than any show on telly…..popcorn anyone?

Oh and Castiel back as a regular I am all for that :).

Comment by Luna – February 27, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is getting tired. The actors are getting tired. It shows when you watch it. The chemistry between the stars is gone, and instead of fighting monsters, they bicker with each other like an old married couple.

The show started going down hill after season 5, which is when it should have ended. It could have gone out while it was on top. Now it’s rapidly going down hill and it won’t be long before they are dragging it through the mud.

Comment by Mike – February 27, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you not expect actors to age, Mike? Thank God they do because that is way more believable to see that they are human like the rest of us and not some plastic idols strolling across our screens. The creators of the show are hoping for a 10th season after next year and then I believe it’ll be done, so keep your pantyhose on until then.

Comment by JennyA – February 28, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mike, would you get over it?? It’s been almost 4 years since Season 5 and people like you are still complaining…

Comment by Kyle – March 20, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where.the.frak.is.Bobby?

Comment by Singer-Auto-Parts – February 27, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah!

Comment by The Devil Is In The Details... – March 23, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy as Larry about this. Ever since S4 Castiel has been a major part of the brothers lives and lets face it to have Castiel in possibly the last season is needed.

Comment by Sarah McCutcheon (@SarahLouise21) – February 28, 2013 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Bobby wish they would bring him back

Comment by Sarah – February 28, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely need to get the “gang” back together…

Comment by The Devil Is In The Details... – March 23, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is amanda tappings also gonna be a regular now since we seen her in a show with cass also?

Comment by Jeffrey Beauregard – February 28, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea! Between him and Crowley, the show isn’t quite the same. We still miss Bobby and not sure how you will bring him back. But then again, Sam and Dean have come back from the dead, how many times now…LOL

Comment by Dorothy – February 28, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shush Dorothy, you are needed in OZ, they need your low IQ brain again. Don’t worry, us humans will be just fine without you and your so called…..” wisdom “.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I concur!!! I’m so glad he’s a series regular again!! I’m just excited to find out he won’t be ganked at the end of the season. WHEW! I am so damned happy, that the negativity is not even bothering me. We all love it enough to argue about it, that much is obvious. I LOVE YOU JEREMY CARVER!! Now, magic Bobby back, please?

Comment by Patricia Mullis – February 28, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is wonderful news and the numbers in this poll just go to show how amazing the Castiel is and how much the overwhelming majority of the Supernatural fandom loves him.

Comment by Divine Descent (@DivineDescent) – March 1, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremelly ! I am so happy :D
    I don’t understand why people mess around in here it’s annoying, why would you get mad about Misha as a regular ? Castiel is an amazing character, he may have done some mistakes, but who don’t ? (So do Sam and Dean). Like said Samandriel his heart was always in the right place, that’s right and he just became family, Castiel is a Winchester and beside the show just teach us that family don’t end up in blood (Bobby, Helen,Jo etc…)
    And MIsha is an amazing actor and we love him, he deserved to be a regular and we are so happy for him now.

Comment by Rebecca – March 1, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hopefully almost every episode i love Castiel & i bet Misha is to happy to be with the Jared and Jensen another year

Comment by Paige – March 1, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH, whY? The need for supporting characters would be MUCH better served by Charlie, Garth, Jody, or Aaron (all humans) or Benny (who at least used to be human).

Comment by Rick D – March 1, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castiel is in a human body. remember he uses a human vessel, in this case Jimmy Novak, and that still counts.

Comment by JennyA – March 1, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we also have Mark Pellegrino as Series Regular as well?!

Comment by Chris Wieneke – March 2, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, they should bring him back somehow. Hallucinations, dreams, or something.

Comment by Kyle – March 20, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cas is a valued member on team winchester. the more of him the better

Comment by Joe Douglas – March 4, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Dear God, I remember literally crying over him being back as Emmanuel, I missed him so much. He got a crappy plot this season, the character has a lot of unused potential.

Comment by Julie – March 4, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Bobby.

Comment by MikeyM – March 5, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen, brother!

Comment by The Devil Is In The Details... – March 23, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was tired of all the angels a while ago, but if they insist on throwing more Cas at us, I can only hops they make him an adversary to the Winchesters. Having Cas work against the Winchesters will make it a better use of the character and eliminate the temptation for the writers to use him as an easy fix for situations.

Comment by Suep – March 20, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Cas, but i don’t want them to take the focus away from the brothers and I don’t want Cas to solve all the problems for them. I would love Cas to be a regular if it doesn’t mean that Sam or Dean will get sidelined.
    Oh, and now that we’ll be seeing more of Cas, I would love it if the Sam-Cas relationship is explored and developed more :)

Comment by Su – March 20, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castiel being around a lot before never detracted from Sam and Dean as the main leads before. It won’t now. Stop worrying.

Comment by JennyA – March 20, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly Cas has only added to the brothers and the show–only EXTREMIST Sam fans worry about Cas. They are a very small but pushy minority. Having someone to regularly bounce off of is good for Dean AND Sam.

Comment by JJ – March 24, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Cass shouldn’t be on every single episode, but I don’t want to see him on 10 or 12/22 episodes. I think he deserves 15, 16 or maybe 17 episodes per season. The show will always be about the Winchesters, but I love the other characters. I loved the Bobby episodes and the Ellen and Jo episodes, the Meg ones are usually interesting and the Cass ones of course.

Comment by Kyle – March 20, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love Dean and Sam (and I DO!) I was always a little bit disappointed when an episode would air without Cas being a part of it. The news that Mischa is a regular part of Season 9 means that the team is complete once again and the brothers have someone besides the two of them and the current monster of the week to expand the story possibilities. We need the monster episodes because it IS Supernatural and the boys have to kick butt in their own delicious fashion, but the overall story arcs and themes are what bring deeper meaning to the series. If it were just monsters week after week after week the series would lose a lot of juice and would damage what makes the series so absorbing and fabulous. We need the Supernatural Trinity: Dean, Sam, and Castiel!

Comment by Dawn – March 20, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dawn…you are forgetting the FOURTH part of your so called “trinity”…BOBBY. Hello??? It is a quartet. And you call yourself an SN fan…puhleeease.

Comment by The Devil Is In The Details... – March 23, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a huge fan of Cas and Misha. I’m still annoyed that they didn’t let him be the big baddie of season 7. It would have been WAY better than those terrible Leviathans (total waste of a season, that). But that’s neither here nor there. Happy to hear we’ll be getting plenty of our favorite angel next season.

Comment by Love me some Cas – March 23, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kind of off topic, but I never did like the Samuel character, or the “new” Meg. She is just way too boring. The Ghostfacers sucked, and the episode with Paris Hilton was the WORST. I also think they should bring back Jodie Mills…just a few observations.

Comment by The Devil Is In The Details... – March 23, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Cas on screen time? Yes, I’ll take it please!

Comment by mandyiam – March 25, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just LOVE Misha but the thing is…….. Will the boys split up now? I mean the thing is I fall for Big Brown Eyes and them boys I just CAN’T get enough!!!!!!!! PLZ say there is more??!!

Comment by Lisa – April 5, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best that could happen to the show. Every episode without Castiel is a boring filler I no longer care to watch. I hope to see more interaction between Dean and Cas next season, their chemistry beat everything else.

Comment by Dragonalia – April 13, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I don’t see the appeal of more Sam-Cas time together as someone requested, boring. To me the best thing is the dynamic between Dean and Castiel, the more intense and brilliant scenes of season 8 have been those between Dean and Castiel, it’s a shame there’s been so very few. I hope they share more onscreen time together on season 9.

Comment by Railly – April 13, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I like the most when Dean and Cas team up together to investigate a case, those are hilarious, and Dean seems to enjoy it very much.

Comment by Seth – April 13, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was elated when I heard the news, but I hope Castiel is back to team free will. If he becomes the new enemy or stays away of the Winchesters by his own I won’t watch season 9.

Comment by Leire – April 13, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. NEWS. EVER. Castiel was made an integral part of the series and his return will be appreciated greatly. Also looking forward to some meta-comedy if he directs a show, much like the Season 6 episode where the boys were transported to our dimension… COOL AS HELL!

Comment by Marty – April 27, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole comment section is unnecessary–just a place for those sad handful of haters to be noisy–because all you have to do is look at the results: over 95% are EXTREMELY happy and only a little over 1% is not happy at all. If the haters truly had numbers and could make a difference, they would change the poll results instead of sulking in the comment threads. Yay for more Castiel! We love you, Misha!

Comment by ah33213321 – April 29, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castiel adds much to the show without taking away from the brothers. More of that angel says I.

Comment by casangel9 – May 1, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cas shines a light of happines and makes the show not to be so serious.he makes me laugh sometimes.i love him! I want to watch him!

Comment by Annie – May 30, 2013 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cas brings a light of happiness on the show and makes it not to be so serious.i love him! I wanna watch him more!

Comment by Annie – May 30, 2013 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have problems, deep/big problems in the head. Sometimes I actually think parents purposely raise their child to be this idiotic for laughs/giggles. Anywho, please be discreet about your personal issues. This is a forum of a TV show. Not a forum to express your so called ” feelings”, nobody cares……well……humans that is. Have a nice day, oh and….you might want to go back to Pre-K- school. Have a nice and blessed day!

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show myself but this is just a TV show……
    Calm down people……

Comment by notnow – June 20, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dear cas haters who say stuff like “I watch for the Winchesters” are no better than the the people who like cas because yes the characters are important but the plot lines are so much more important so what you should really be saying is “I watch for the really good plot lines and I won’t judge someone by who their favourite character is” can’t we all just get along?

Comment by katy – June 24, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You need help, like…..did you pass 1st grade elementary? If so, your teacher for 1st grade should be fired for the world’s sake. Why you may ask? Well……I could just say, you’re a prime example of what horrible parenting/teaching does to a child. So for everyone else’s safety ( as in safety for their brain from your ignorance of a IQ you think you do have), go back to 1st grade.
      Sincerely, The entire human population.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled to see that Cas is a regular. He’s a wonderful character, Misha is a great actor, and I hope we see him frequently in season 9.

Comment by Ari – June 24, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have no clue what you just said. I saw your post in another forum and you just copy/past from others. Get a life kid/bot/annoyance of the world. This forum is for true ” Supernatural ” fan-base only thank you very much.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love what Cas brings to the group. Team Free Will for the win! (:

Comment by Savanna – June 24, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? You have no common grounds on this TV series. Have you truly watched this show?, By your comments, you seem like a fake. Who knows you might actually be a fake. Anyways good for you…….for ruining this nice forums with your non-sense. Please grab a ticket and wait in the ” I am not too bright in the head ” line. Have a nice day, if you even know what that means.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im glad Cas is back in season 9 as a main character , now he is human i hope he gets used well helping Dean and Sam on hunts, i just hope he is not just used for comic relief , its fun when done now and again how ever not constantly, im hoping for lots of TFW episodes .

Comment by debbie webster – July 7, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That comment you made was just……dumb. Please do the world a favor and never reproduce. Sincerely/Thank you, Everyone.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Cas. He adds more spark to the show. I am in love with Dean and Sam but I also in love with Cas. He adds to the show and granted I love this show and the brothers. It is what makes me look forward to the day I can watch it. I love it more then any other but part of the reason is because Cas is on it. It wouldnt have been the same without him on it. I love him almost as much as the brothers and I think he does add to the show. They are so cool with each other on and off the screen I am so so glad he will be on.

Comment by Elizabeth – October 7, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elizabeth, you are insecure and create idiotic comments on the marvelous masterpiece ” Supernatural”. I recommend getting help from your nearest psychotic hospital ASAP ( means, as soon as possible ). So have a good day….and oh yea…Get bent.

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you all are so stupid

Comment by Oblivination – November 19, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oblivination you must have a sad life if coming on here and insulting every one is the only joy you get .

Comment by debbie webster – December 14, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post