Supernatural Scoop: Misha Collins to Return as Series Regular for Season 9

Get More: News

SUPERNATURALThe angels have answered your prayers, Supernatural fans.

Misha Collins will return to the CW series as a series regular next season (the show’s ninth).

In addition to reprising his role as the heavenly angel Castiel, Collins will direct an episode as well.

Collins made his debut as Cas in the Season 4 premiere and was promoted to regular cast member the following year. He was then taken off contract at the end of Season 6, but still continued to recur.

The CW recently gave an early renewal order to the long-running series.

Comments (575)

• I am so BEYOND EXCITED AND SO FRAKKING HAPPY THAT I ALMOST CAN’T BREATHE. Best news in forever. So happy and thankful. Thank you CW, thank you Mr. Pedowicz, thank you Jeremy Carver. OUR ANGEL IS BACK!

Comment by Dilys – February 25, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessssssssssssss! I’m so happy!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Rosa – February 25, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited, Castiel is my favourite character! I’m in tears of joy!

Comment by Alea – February 25, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER.

Comment by Ria – February 25, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, IT’S MY BIRTHDAY TOO. AND IT’S THE BEST EVER. :high-five:

Comment by Sam – February 25, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM FREE WILL4EVER*•* Too many feels right now;”) Castiel is the most awesome thing on SPN!

Comment by Castiel4ever – February 25, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEES! ! ! ! MISHA OH MY GOD!! YES! More Castiel <3 This are the best news I have gotten ALL day! <3 Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :D

Comment by Desiree (@Desizinnia) – February 25, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes yes yes. Best news all year. The family is official back together again. I am so damn happy not to have to pray every night again for Castiel to come back. They dropped the ball on him for two seasons and I am so greatful that they’ll have the opportunity to actually do something intelligent with one of the best additions to the show.

Comment by Harlie – February 25, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAY!! BEST NEWS EVER!!!
    Honestly I just love Cas so much, and with everyone else practically dead (we won’t be seeing Bobby anytime soon :() the brothers need a friend to stay in their life. Casue really; you can twist and turn this any way you like, but the show about FAMILY. Family that don’t end with blood, as put so nicely, on the show. And Cas is their family, too.
    Plus; his story is finally starting to get interesting again, so I’m just happy they managed to do something with the loead of crap Gamble dumped on Misha/Castiel.
    Can’t wait for season 9! :D

Comment by Dominique – February 25, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy that Misha will return regular in Season 9!!and even direct an episode! Castiel is my favorite character so this is one of the best news I could ever receive!!!:)

Comment by Ann – February 25, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news is like seeing a beautiful double rainbow in the sky!

Seriously, I mean it.

Comment by Hann23 – February 25, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that he is going to be an regular. But at the moments I’m getting quite irritated by the Destiel shippers. And no I’m not an Destiel hater, I like it but it’s not my OTP. Yes, I ship wincest as brother love and more than brother love. And I like Castiel, come on, he is an adorable Angel, who doesn’t like him? Anyway, my point is that at the moment, at least on the places where I am on the internet, it looks like all the Destiel shippers kind off go screaming like: “LOOK LOOK. Here, see, my OTP is becoming real. I told you. In your face. Destiel ftw and forever” In all different forms but all with the same message. It irks and annoys me.

I like Cas being an regular. But as soon as the Sam/Dean brother relationship gets pushed to the side. Or if Sam/Dean aren’t the focus any more, I will not like it any more. I hope this message made sense.

Comment by Evria – February 25, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the show has any plans for Destiel, to be honest with you (I would support them if they did but I don’t think they do). I love the friendship between Dean and Cas and I think that’s always been kept separate from Dean’s relationship with Sam. My main reasons for being happy about Castiel’s return don’t involve Destiel. If that happens I don’t think it will happen until near the end of the show.

Comment by Carl – February 25, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It makes sense. I’m sorry you felt affronted by some fans’ reactions. I hope that you understand that many people who do in fact wish with all their hearts to see Dean and Cas take their relationship just that one step further, do not want to degrade or insult or marginalize fans who don’t. I love the brothers’ relationship, because in many ways it resembles the relationships I share with my siblings (love, loyalty, trust, growing up together and facing hard times united, etc). I would hate to see that ruined, too. I actually think that Castiel’s inclusion to the dynamic makes the brothers /stronger/ which is part of the reason I support it. :) Anyway, hope that makes you feel a little better.

Comment by Bethany Minervino (@Beth_Minervino) – February 25, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like Castiel as a character actually does his best to keep Sam and Dean together. The latest episode he was in really hit that home; Dean was angry and wanted nothing to do with Sam — he made that very clear. A few scenes later we see that Cas has gone behind Dean’s back to bring Sam along because he understands the importance of the brothers working together.
      Yes, I ship Destiel and yes, I feel as though season 8 has been heavily implying that it may become canon in either season 9 or 10. However, I still care /a lot/ about Sam and Dean’s relationship (and canonically, so does Castiel!) I don’t think there’s anything to worry about, whether Destiel becomes canon or not.

Comment by Jenna Kathleen (@jenna_wenna) – February 25, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such exciting news!

Comment by Jennie – February 25, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The majority of the fandom is rejoicing because the majority loves Castiel and Misha Collins and are excited to see him return as a regular! I have confidence in Supernatural and it’s writers/crew/cast. I am sorry to anyone who dislikes the character or whom has a problem with the show because of this, just hold out that this will pleasantly surprise you and please don’t entice bashing – respect each others favor for the character and we will respect your disfavor.

ALSO, FRICKYEAH CAS IS BACK!!

Comment by Phayd2dark – February 25, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, because some of you are being so mature about it. Calling people haters and saying suck it doesn’t really work well in your favor. So you might want to tell your own to not bait people into an argument with those words.

Comment by Tvwatcher – February 25, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, I am not responsible for other people’s behavior. Maybe instead of telling us to police our fellow fans, you could just not group us all together, kay? That’d be nice.

We’re all individuals. Cas fans are not a collective identity.

Comment by can't believe I'm still having to say this – February 25, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy we’re finally going get more Cas! He didn’t appear nearly enough in S8. Misha deserves so much better!

Comment by Bruna – February 25, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay!! I am so happy!!! Misha deserves it!

Comment by lOR – February 25, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news all year. So very, very happy to have Castiel back. He’s a marvelous character and always brings much-needed fresh air to the show. Kudos to Carver and his team for listening to all the fans who adore him and want to see more. Haters to the left. The angel is back.

Comment by Melissa – February 25, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fantastic news! I’m glad the showrunners recognize how important Cas is to the Winchesters. He’s a great character. Team Free Will!

Comment by Jamie – February 25, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Bobby back too… and Jo and Ellen… and Ash… so on and so forth

Comment by Debbie – February 25, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that Misha is a regular for Season 9! I love Castiel SO MUCH! YAY CASTIEL! <3

Comment by darkforetold (@darkforetold) – February 25, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really excited about this. Mostly because I’m sick of the brothers’ already unhealthy codependency. They need other people in their lives. I also can’t wait to see what storyline Cas will be involved in, because tbh, I can’t really see a whole more season involving the angel tablet before we get a conclusion to it. So I’m hoping this means we will get human!Cas in the next season.

Comment by Martin – February 25, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, not interested in watching the Castiel show.

Comment by Kelios (@kelios) – February 25, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that happening.

Comment by Carl – February 25, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s just ridiculous. CASTIEL BEING A REGULAR IS NOT GOING TO TAKE THE FOCUS OFF SAM AND DEAN. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand? A show can’t survive this long with just two main characters. The brothers will be in every episode, Cas probably won’t. You have absolutely no reason to be upset.

Comment by James – February 25, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bless this post.

Comment by Charlie – February 25, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Kelios, you’d rather have a show about two brothers’ codependency, which by the way is a serious psychological condition? That’s really sad. A little more Cas won’t hurt anybody.

Comment by Sarah – February 25, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i would rather watching what the show is actually about, or at least it was until the writers overdosed on cas, two brothers traveling the country dealing with the crazy crap of the supernatural world. i wouldnt mind an occasional drop in from cas but at times it does feel like his show rather than the wincesters.

Comment by Alan – February 25, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Overdosed on Cas???? Oh, /that/ must be why he was in so many episodes this season! *insert sarcastic eyebrow raise*
          Seriously, your claims of feeling like this is becoming the “Cas Show” rather than a show about the Winchesters is ridiculous and literally has no canonical truth. The show is still all about Sam and Dean. Now we’ll just have more Cas added into the mix.

Comment by Jenna Kathleen (@jenna_wenna) – February 25, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tune in next week, to see Cas and Cas riding across the countryside in the Impala, accompanied by their feathered friend, Cas! Also appearing, God’s prophet, Cas! Watch them work together in order to defeat the demons of hell, lead by the King of the Crossroads himself, Cas!

Comment by Bethany Minervino (@Beth_Minervino) – February 25, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I love Castiel and Misha Collins is awesome as Castiel! I love the Dean-Cas friendship aspect and I cannot wait for Season 9. I hated that Castiel was not in more episodes this season. Felt like there was a huge gap in the show. Props to Misha Collins for making regular!!

Comment by Isaac Chen – February 25, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy about this news! I adore Castiel and Misha! So unbelievably happy for him and the show! :DDD

Comment by Jenn – February 25, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t be more excited!!! Cas is one of the reasons why I watch Supernatural. He’s…. there’s no words to describe him!! I know that the series is about the two Winchesters, but I think he should have more space in the series, because he worth it! u.u

Comment by Katherine93 – February 25, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delighted to hear the news!
    I’m all for more Cas and more Team Free Will!

Comment by Alexis (@sad_grey_eyes) – February 25, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news ever.. i love cas.. misha is such a great actor.. i hope the writers know how to use him well.. such a epic character like castiel should never go to waste.. i don’t even care about the haters anymore, i know they are pulling their hair out right now..

Comment by happy – February 25, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Three cheers for Team Free Will! How excited am I? The word “EXTREMELY” is an understatement, even if you were to do it in all caps with “!!!1!111″ at the end.

Comment by Angel (@angel_kink) – February 25, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO EXCITED!!!!! It’s about time too!!! This is awesome! Team Free Will for the win. Season 9 is going to be fantastic!

Comment by Ana – February 25, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They actually had something great with the Men of Letters story line (and a great character in their grandfather) but as usual in these last 3 seasons they one off it so we can go down this road again and again and again…

Comment by chris – February 25, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO BEYOND EXCITED. AND he’s directing an episode!!! How cool is that?? :D <3

Comment by Charlie – February 25, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy to hear the great news :) I love Cas!!!

Comment by Elyse – February 25, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAS!!!!!!

Comment by Deion – February 25, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO BEYOND EXCITED IM CRYING

Comment by Ann – February 25, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they have to bring back an angel I would rather have Gabriel (aka the Trickster).

Comment by not ok – February 25, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s dead and his purpose was not to help but the hinder the Winchesters at every turn.

Comment by tvdiva – February 25, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • aw, don’t be like that. We all know in this show dead is flexible, and while I myself like Cas way better, Gabriel was an awesome character. Whether or not he helped or hindered the Winchesters doesn’t matter-his character was excellent and his presence inspired some truly great episodes. Conflict and drama is important in making great storytelling and for that you need more than just a set of protagonists.

Comment by Jen – February 25, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gabriel/The Trickster actually did help the Winchesters. He’s the one that told them about the key to opening the cage that they needed to trap Lucifer back in.

Comment by JennyA – March 1, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You could say that about Cass, too.

Comment by Rick D – March 1, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY WHOOHOO!!!

Comment by ollie – February 25, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time Castiel became a regular character. That is as bad as the Jimmy Palmer character on NCIS being in almost 9 seasons before he was made a cast regular.

Comment by tvdiva – February 25, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah, but Cas has been a regular before. For seasons 5 and 6. Then he was downgraded again in 7 and 8. I realize I apparently don’t speak for everyone here, but personally, I’m glad to see him back in the main cast, where he belongs. :)

Comment by wow201102 – February 25, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Castiel is returning as a regular. I love Sam and Dean but it takes all kinds of characters to create a show and keep it from getting stale, so I’m excited to see what they’ll do with Castiel’s character. Misha brings a whole lot to the table, his acting and interactions with the other characters are just superb. So excited to see the next season!

Comment by Emily – February 25, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally. FINALLY, a regular. I have been waiting for this moment for two years! letàs just hope they will treat his character with respect. Right, Mr. Singer?

Comment by Stephanie L. – February 25, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am over the moon with joy! I hope Cas is in EVERY episode and has a great onscreen storyline! :D

Now I’ll start hoping for Ty Olson to become recurring or regular in Season 9 also.

And a mytharc/central storyline for Dean!

Comment by Kay – February 25, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about this! I think Cas brings out a really interesting side of Dean, and I’m really hoping this means we get more Sam & Cas interaction too. I’m sure brothers-only fans won’t be happy about this news but the dynamic between Sam and Dean has felt stale to me this season in comparison to the early seasons (which, sure, were great, but trying to recreate them won’t work because the characters have grown and changed). I’m really excited about season 9.

Comment by Kisatsel – February 25, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I ADORE CASTIEL. Thank god he’s coming back. ;) (with luck…we might even get some Destiel too!)

Comment by Maddy – February 25, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so pleased that Castiel has been made a Season Regular. I love it when the show brings more storylines and characters into the fold. Yes it is about Sam and Dean and their relationship with each other but also with others, angels included, so I am so pleased Cas is back and how that will affect the brothers in their own separate ways. Also this season has seen very jagged without Cas, continuity has been affected. Very excited by this news and before you all scream at me that I am a Cas fan and spew some hatred, I love the brothers, I love their dynamic but I also love Cas and what Misha brings to the show. You can be one and the same thing.

Comment by Gemma Dunn (@Gemmie84) – February 25, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not tge biggest Catiel fan not because he was a bad character but I felt one season was enough. I know a lot of people will disagree but I find episodes to be better when he’s not involved.

Comment by Carter – February 25, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYY! I m so happy right now!!! Thank you, SPN crew and everyone!!!!

Comment by nicole – February 25, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god! YES! I was SO AFRAID of them killing him off! I am flooded with relief!

Comment by Kayla – February 25, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cas is like kalinda on the good wife, terrific in small doses, but not really when given a separate fuller storyline

Comment by Emily – February 25, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re on Season 8 now and the show has gone through too much repetition. We all love the Winchesters and they’re the core reason why we’ve stuck with the show so long, but for the sake of plot and development, new additions need to be made so that the writers can have fresh material to keep the show running. There’s only so much you can do with two characters for so long. Every other show has supporting characters that spice things up and I think Castiel is the perfect ingredient to this. Anyone who is still stuck in the early season’s of Supernatural need to learn to let go and understand that progress and changes will have to be made for the show to grow or need to take a break. I for one love Castiel as much as I loved Bobby. Heck I even adore Meg. The brothers are too broken to return to how they were in the early seasons anyway.

Comment by Evie – February 25, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUZZAH!

I actually quit watching SPN after S5 ended so abysmally, but I’ve been hearing good things about S8 (as opposed to the endless criticism I heard about S6/7) and as long as my favourite character is sticking around I think it’s time to give the show another chance!

Comment by Darksilvercat – February 25, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is wonderful news! I adore the Winchesters and their dynamic, but Castiel is the reason why I decided to check out the show in the first place and I’ve always seen him as such an important member of the family. I honestly don’t think I could be more thrilled about the upcoming season!

Comment by Julie – February 25, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castiel is a great addition to the show and Misha is a wonderful actor. Castiel really adds to the show and for me, he makes an already great show simply perfect. SUPER excited!

Comment by Rekala – February 25, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post