Supernatural Scoop: Misha Collins to Return as Series Regular for Season 9

SUPERNATURALThe angels have answered your prayers, Supernatural fans.

Misha Collins will return to the CW series as a series regular next season (the show’s ninth).

In addition to reprising his role as the heavenly angel Castiel, Collins will direct an episode as well.

Collins made his debut as Cas in the Season 4 premiere and was promoted to regular cast member the following year. He was then taken off contract at the end of Season 6, but still continued to recur.

The CW recently gave an early renewal order to the long-running series.

1. Dilys says:

I am so BEYOND EXCITED AND SO FRAKKING HAPPY THAT I ALMOST CAN’T BREATHE. Best news in forever. So happy and thankful. Thank you CW, thank you Mr. Pedowicz, thank you Jeremy Carver. OUR ANGEL IS BACK!

2. Rosa says:

Yessssssssssssss! I’m so happy!!!!!!!!!!

3. Alea says:

I’m so excited, Castiel is my favourite character! I’m in tears of joy!

4. Ria says:

BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER.

5. Castiel4ever says:

TEAM FREE WILL4EVER*•* Too many feels right now;”) Castiel is the most awesome thing on SPN!

6. YEEEEEEEEEES! ! ! ! MISHA OH MY GOD!! YES! More Castiel <3 This are the best news I have gotten ALL day! <3 Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :D

7. Harlie says:

Yes yes yes. Best news all year. The family is official back together again. I am so damn happy not to have to pray every night again for Castiel to come back. They dropped the ball on him for two seasons and I am so greatful that they’ll have the opportunity to actually do something intelligent with one of the best additions to the show.

8. Dominique says:

YAAAY!! BEST NEWS EVER!!!
    Honestly I just love Cas so much, and with everyone else practically dead (we won’t be seeing Bobby anytime soon :() the brothers need a friend to stay in their life. Casue really; you can twist and turn this any way you like, but the show about FAMILY. Family that don’t end with blood, as put so nicely, on the show. And Cas is their family, too.
    Plus; his story is finally starting to get interesting again, so I’m just happy they managed to do something with the loead of crap Gamble dumped on Misha/Castiel.
    Can’t wait for season 9! :D

9. Ann says:

I am so happy that Misha will return regular in Season 9!!and even direct an episode! Castiel is my favorite character so this is one of the best news I could ever receive!!!:)

10. Hann23 says:

This news is like seeing a beautiful double rainbow in the sky!

Seriously, I mean it.

11. Evria says:

I like that he is going to be an regular. But at the moments I’m getting quite irritated by the Destiel shippers. And no I’m not an Destiel hater, I like it but it’s not my OTP. Yes, I ship wincest as brother love and more than brother love. And I like Castiel, come on, he is an adorable Angel, who doesn’t like him? Anyway, my point is that at the moment, at least on the places where I am on the internet, it looks like all the Destiel shippers kind off go screaming like: “LOOK LOOK. Here, see, my OTP is becoming real. I told you. In your face. Destiel ftw and forever” In all different forms but all with the same message. It irks and annoys me.

I like Cas being an regular. But as soon as the Sam/Dean brother relationship gets pushed to the side. Or if Sam/Dean aren’t the focus any more, I will not like it any more. I hope this message made sense.

• Carl says:

I don’t think the show has any plans for Destiel, to be honest with you (I would support them if they did but I don’t think they do). I love the friendship between Dean and Cas and I think that’s always been kept separate from Dean’s relationship with Sam. My main reasons for being happy about Castiel’s return don’t involve Destiel. If that happens I don’t think it will happen until near the end of the show.

• It makes sense. I’m sorry you felt affronted by some fans’ reactions. I hope that you understand that many people who do in fact wish with all their hearts to see Dean and Cas take their relationship just that one step further, do not want to degrade or insult or marginalize fans who don’t. I love the brothers’ relationship, because in many ways it resembles the relationships I share with my siblings (love, loyalty, trust, growing up together and facing hard times united, etc). I would hate to see that ruined, too. I actually think that Castiel’s inclusion to the dynamic makes the brothers /stronger/ which is part of the reason I support it. :) Anyway, hope that makes you feel a little better.

• I feel like Castiel as a character actually does his best to keep Sam and Dean together. The latest episode he was in really hit that home; Dean was angry and wanted nothing to do with Sam — he made that very clear. A few scenes later we see that Cas has gone behind Dean’s back to bring Sam along because he understands the importance of the brothers working together.
      Yes, I ship Destiel and yes, I feel as though season 8 has been heavily implying that it may become canon in either season 9 or 10. However, I still care /a lot/ about Sam and Dean’s relationship (and canonically, so does Castiel!) I don’t think there’s anything to worry about, whether Destiel becomes canon or not.

12. Jennie says:

Such exciting news!

13. Phayd2dark says:

The majority of the fandom is rejoicing because the majority loves Castiel and Misha Collins and are excited to see him return as a regular! I have confidence in Supernatural and it’s writers/crew/cast. I am sorry to anyone who dislikes the character or whom has a problem with the show because of this, just hold out that this will pleasantly surprise you and please don’t entice bashing – respect each others favor for the character and we will respect your disfavor.

ALSO, FRICKYEAH CAS IS BACK!!

• Tvwatcher says:

Yes, because some of you are being so mature about it. Calling people haters and saying suck it doesn’t really work well in your favor. So you might want to tell your own to not bait people into an argument with those words.

• can't believe I'm still having to say this says:

Um, I am not responsible for other people’s behavior. Maybe instead of telling us to police our fellow fans, you could just not group us all together, kay? That’d be nice.

We’re all individuals. Cas fans are not a collective identity.

14. Bruna says:

I’m so happy we’re finally going get more Cas! He didn’t appear nearly enough in S8. Misha deserves so much better!

15. lOR says:

yay!! I am so happy!!! Misha deserves it!

16. Melissa says:

Best news all year. So very, very happy to have Castiel back. He’s a marvelous character and always brings much-needed fresh air to the show. Kudos to Carver and his team for listening to all the fans who adore him and want to see more. Haters to the left. The angel is back.

17. Jamie says:

This is fantastic news! I’m glad the showrunners recognize how important Cas is to the Winchesters. He’s a great character. Team Free Will!

18. Debbie says:

I want Bobby back too… and Jo and Ellen… and Ash… so on and so forth

19. So happy that Misha is a regular for Season 9! I love Castiel SO MUCH! YAY CASTIEL! <3

20. Martin says:

I’m really excited about this. Mostly because I’m sick of the brothers’ already unhealthy codependency. They need other people in their lives. I also can’t wait to see what storyline Cas will be involved in, because tbh, I can’t really see a whole more season involving the angel tablet before we get a conclusion to it. So I’m hoping this means we will get human!Cas in the next season.

21. Sorry, not interested in watching the Castiel show.

• Carl says:

I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that happening.

• James says:

That’s just ridiculous. CASTIEL BEING A REGULAR IS NOT GOING TO TAKE THE FOCUS OFF SAM AND DEAN. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand? A show can’t survive this long with just two main characters. The brothers will be in every episode, Cas probably won’t. You have absolutely no reason to be upset.

• Sarah says:

So Kelios, you’d rather have a show about two brothers’ codependency, which by the way is a serious psychological condition? That’s really sad. A little more Cas won’t hurt anybody.

• Alan says:

i would rather watching what the show is actually about, or at least it was until the writers overdosed on cas, two brothers traveling the country dealing with the crazy crap of the supernatural world. i wouldnt mind an occasional drop in from cas but at times it does feel like his show rather than the wincesters.

• Overdosed on Cas???? Oh, /that/ must be why he was in so many episodes this season! *insert sarcastic eyebrow raise*
          Seriously, your claims of feeling like this is becoming the “Cas Show” rather than a show about the Winchesters is ridiculous and literally has no canonical truth. The show is still all about Sam and Dean. Now we’ll just have more Cas added into the mix.

• Tune in next week, to see Cas and Cas riding across the countryside in the Impala, accompanied by their feathered friend, Cas! Also appearing, God’s prophet, Cas! Watch them work together in order to defeat the demons of hell, lead by the King of the Crossroads himself, Cas!

22. Isaac Chen says:

Yes! I love Castiel and Misha Collins is awesome as Castiel! I love the Dean-Cas friendship aspect and I cannot wait for Season 9. I hated that Castiel was not in more episodes this season. Felt like there was a huge gap in the show. Props to Misha Collins for making regular!!

23. Jenn says:

I am so happy about this news! I adore Castiel and Misha! So unbelievably happy for him and the show! :DDD

24. Katherine93 says:

I couldn’t be more excited!!! Cas is one of the reasons why I watch Supernatural. He’s…. there’s no words to describe him!! I know that the series is about the two Winchesters, but I think he should have more space in the series, because he worth it! u.u

25. Delighted to hear the news!
    I’m all for more Cas and more Team Free Will!

26. happy says:

best news ever.. i love cas.. misha is such a great actor.. i hope the writers know how to use him well.. such a epic character like castiel should never go to waste.. i don’t even care about the haters anymore, i know they are pulling their hair out right now..

27. Three cheers for Team Free Will! How excited am I? The word “EXTREMELY” is an understatement, even if you were to do it in all caps with “!!!1!111″ at the end.

28. Ana says:

SO EXCITED!!!!! It’s about time too!!! This is awesome! Team Free Will for the win. Season 9 is going to be fantastic!

29. chris says:

They actually had something great with the Men of Letters story line (and a great character in their grandfather) but as usual in these last 3 seasons they one off it so we can go down this road again and again and again…

30. Charlie says:

SO BEYOND EXCITED. AND he’s directing an episode!!! How cool is that?? :D <3

31. Elyse says:

happy to hear the great news :) I love Cas!!!

32. Deion says:

CAS!!!!!!

33. Ann says:

SO BEYOND EXCITED IM CRYING

34. not ok says:

If they have to bring back an angel I would rather have Gabriel (aka the Trickster).

• tvdiva says:

He’s dead and his purpose was not to help but the hinder the Winchesters at every turn.

• Jen says:

aw, don’t be like that. We all know in this show dead is flexible, and while I myself like Cas way better, Gabriel was an awesome character. Whether or not he helped or hindered the Winchesters doesn’t matter-his character was excellent and his presence inspired some truly great episodes. Conflict and drama is important in making great storytelling and for that you need more than just a set of protagonists.

• JennyA says:

Gabriel/The Trickster actually did help the Winchesters. He’s the one that told them about the key to opening the cage that they needed to trap Lucifer back in.

• Rick D says:

You could say that about Cass, too.

35. ollie says:

YAY WHOOHOO!!!

36. tvdiva says:

It’s about time Castiel became a regular character. That is as bad as the Jimmy Palmer character on NCIS being in almost 9 seasons before he was made a cast regular.

• wow201102 says:

Ah, but Cas has been a regular before. For seasons 5 and 6. Then he was downgraded again in 7 and 8. I realize I apparently don’t speak for everyone here, but personally, I’m glad to see him back in the main cast, where he belongs. :)

37. Emily says:

I’m so happy Castiel is returning as a regular. I love Sam and Dean but it takes all kinds of characters to create a show and keep it from getting stale, so I’m excited to see what they’ll do with Castiel’s character. Misha brings a whole lot to the table, his acting and interactions with the other characters are just superb. So excited to see the next season!

38. Stephanie L. says:

Finally. FINALLY, a regular. I have been waiting for this moment for two years! letàs just hope they will treat his character with respect. Right, Mr. Singer?

39. Kay says:

I am over the moon with joy! I hope Cas is in EVERY episode and has a great onscreen storyline! :D

Now I’ll start hoping for Ty Olson to become recurring or regular in Season 9 also.

And a mytharc/central storyline for Dean!

40. Kisatsel says:

So happy about this! I think Cas brings out a really interesting side of Dean, and I’m really hoping this means we get more Sam & Cas interaction too. I’m sure brothers-only fans won’t be happy about this news but the dynamic between Sam and Dean has felt stale to me this season in comparison to the early seasons (which, sure, were great, but trying to recreate them won’t work because the characters have grown and changed). I’m really excited about season 9.

41. Maddy says:

I ADORE CASTIEL. Thank god he’s coming back. ;) (with luck…we might even get some Destiel too!)

42. I am so pleased that Castiel has been made a Season Regular. I love it when the show brings more storylines and characters into the fold. Yes it is about Sam and Dean and their relationship with each other but also with others, angels included, so I am so pleased Cas is back and how that will affect the brothers in their own separate ways. Also this season has seen very jagged without Cas, continuity has been affected. Very excited by this news and before you all scream at me that I am a Cas fan and spew some hatred, I love the brothers, I love their dynamic but I also love Cas and what Misha brings to the show. You can be one and the same thing.

43. Carter says:

I’m not tge biggest Catiel fan not because he was a bad character but I felt one season was enough. I know a lot of people will disagree but I find episodes to be better when he’s not involved.

44. nicole says:

YAYYYYY! I m so happy right now!!! Thank you, SPN crew and everyone!!!!

45. Kayla says:

Oh my god! YES! I was SO AFRAID of them killing him off! I am flooded with relief!

46. Emily says:

Cas is like kalinda on the good wife, terrific in small doses, but not really when given a separate fuller storyline

47. Evie says:

We’re on Season 8 now and the show has gone through too much repetition. We all love the Winchesters and they’re the core reason why we’ve stuck with the show so long, but for the sake of plot and development, new additions need to be made so that the writers can have fresh material to keep the show running. There’s only so much you can do with two characters for so long. Every other show has supporting characters that spice things up and I think Castiel is the perfect ingredient to this. Anyone who is still stuck in the early season’s of Supernatural need to learn to let go and understand that progress and changes will have to be made for the show to grow or need to take a break. I for one love Castiel as much as I loved Bobby. Heck I even adore Meg. The brothers are too broken to return to how they were in the early seasons anyway.

48. Darksilvercat says:

HUZZAH!

I actually quit watching SPN after S5 ended so abysmally, but I’ve been hearing good things about S8 (as opposed to the endless criticism I heard about S6/7) and as long as my favourite character is sticking around I think it’s time to give the show another chance!

49. Julie says:

This is wonderful news! I adore the Winchesters and their dynamic, but Castiel is the reason why I decided to check out the show in the first place and I’ve always seen him as such an important member of the family. I honestly don’t think I could be more thrilled about the upcoming season!

50. Rekala says:

Castiel is a great addition to the show and Misha is a wonderful actor. Castiel really adds to the show and for me, he makes an already great show simply perfect. SUPER excited!