ABC Series Score All-New Oscar Night Promos -- Get a First Look

ABC on Sunday night will capitalize on its broadcast of the Academy Awards by unveiling all-new promos for many of its primetime shows — and TVLine has a sneak peek at one of ‘em.

Current programming including Once Upon a Time and Scandal will score fresh promos, as will new fare — including the one below, a moody, artsy teaser for the about-to-debut Red Widow.

Launching with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, March 3 at 9/8c (before settling into its Sundays-at-10 home), Red Widow stars Radha Mitchell (Silent Hill) as Marta Walraven, a soccer mom housewife who is dragged into her husband’s criminal world after he gets whacked. Because though Marta’s husband paid dearly with his life, that fails to offset his debt with crime lord Nicholae Schiller, played by ER alum Goran Visnjic.

Check out the black and white and Red Widow promo here:

Loading video...

1. Rachael says:

NO CASTLE promo…and with such a HUGE episode on Monday…come on ABC….gah!

• Summer says:

Unfortunately ABC has no Castle love :-(

• DB says:

I’m so sick of all these Castle fans whining about nothing. ABC promo the s–t out of this show all the time. They know it’s a good performer. Tonight’s promo push is for their new Mid-Season shows. Stop crying! Your show is safe!

• Mary says:

Completely agree! I think it would be more smart to promote a show that airs the day after the Oscars (and like you said, a HUGE episode, no less)! I mean, I wouldn´t remember to watch a show one week or so after it being promoted, but maybe that´s just me…

• sofia says:

It’s really dumb of them not to air a Castle promo during the Oscars, and in such an episode as this one, it makes their mistake even bigger.

• Unless I’m missing something, the story doesn’t say that Castle isn’t getting a promo. It says current programming, so just because it isn’t one of the shows specifically mentioned by name in this story doesn’t mean it won’t get a promo.

• gabr923 says:

IF YOU WAIT FOR SOMETHING INTELLIGENT FROM ABC, YOU WILL WAIT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
      ABC is a disastrous in ratings and in audience this year. very well deserve its 4th position.

• TV Gord says:

Castle has been on long enough that a promo is not going to draw in anyone new…and fans will be there, no matter what. It makes more sense for ABC to focus on its newer, fresher shows.

2. SJ says:

Hey, Matt, is Revenge getting one this year as well? It could really use it considering it’s on yet another hiatus…

• davey says:

I would think that ABC would promo REVENGE as well – it’s ratings are dipping further and further from where they were last season. SCANDAL seems like it’s one of their best (and most consistent) performers this season!

3. Jack says:

Doesnt the plot sound a little like Mob Doctor?

4. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I remember last year at this time – ABC was wrapping up Pan Am, and bringing in GCB and using the Oscars to promote its upcoming Sunday lineup of OUAT, DH and GCB. Now, a year later, deja’ vu? I hope ABC uses the Academy telecast to promote their Wednesday night linup as well (and Castle as another poster mentioned). The Sarah Chalke comedy ‘Live w/Parents’ has potential in April on Wednesday nights.

5. Christina says:

No amount of promo is going to attract viewers to Red Widow. That show will be DOA!

• eridapo says:

This…

Like Zero Hour, Last Resort, and 666 Park why should we as viewers even bother… The show will get some promos now, but in a month’s time it will be treated like the rest..

• Beckstle says:

Exactly. ABC moved too fast, and now they’re scrambling. They should have looked at the DVR views. You would think that when a show is being consistently watched in a majorly time-shifted manner it would occur to a programmer that the show is in the wrong timeslot. Nope – not ABC.

• Rrrrrr says:

It doesn’t work like that. ABC needs investors (ads) to keep a show running. Ads mean commercials, and if you DVR a show, you’ll skip the ads. If a show is poorly viewed within its original timeslot, even if the network wants to give it a new shot on a new timeslot, the investors don’t want to touch it due to its previous performance. So it becomes impossible to finance the show, and it therefore has to be canceled.

• YowzaPowza says:

Thanks for the obligatory pretentious lesson in television advertisement, which nine out of ten people who watch TV already know.

• Mark says:

Just watched. It was a less enjoyable version of the Mob Doctor. Brother gets in trouble and his blonde sister has to help out the mob head. There was not one enjoyable part of the show. At least the Mob Doctor had appealing actors in it.

6. eridapo says:

No wonder the rest of the ABC lineup is tanking. Last year it was all Revenge, and this year is all Scandal…. Sorry to say it but ABC deserves its current last place position…

7. Steven says:

I hope Revenge gets a nice promo. With the ratings slide it could use some good promotion.

8. beckstle says:

I understand Scandal. Let us hope that with with The Voice and Revolution coming back and Castle on an upswing with the movie-quality two-parter, the second half of which is on Monday, ABC has enough sense to air a promotion for Castle….

9. greysfan says:

I hope Red Widow does well because its the one new show i have been looking forward to. As usual though America will probably not see how good a series is and it will be cancelled before the season is out.

I do think ABC need to ramp up the Revenge promos though. This show needs a boost after yet again pathetic scheduling of a great show. Its ABC’s fault this show dropped to drastic lows but they have to fix it. Castle too i think should be used. Its a huge episode coming up.

• I’m on the other team, hoping Zero Hour starts faring a little better, it’s an excellent show albeit sometimes having some stretches. And yet I do think it’s gonna be cancelled before season’s end too, I thought it was unfair for Red Widow to have a two-hour premiére while ZH launched on Valentine’s Day. ABC has been downward spiraling in my opinion ever since the cancellation of FlashForward and then Cougar Town and then 666 Park Avenue and now probably Zero Hour too. I know they’re not fully responsible for it and that the bigger issue is that America can’t stand smart, complicated stories and it SUCKS because they’re the best for me. Finally, I hope Revenge gets a promo because it has been an almost flawless season and yet ratings are sinking every week.

• MaryAnn says:

It really would have been nice if Zero Hour had gotten a two hour premier. My reaction to episode 1 was meh…but for episode 2 I was on the edge of my seat, and really intrigued by the plotlines that definitely differ from the Da Vinci movie. I REALLY want to find out what is going on with the doppleganger!

At any rate, bottom line is if you even mildly liked episode 1, you should watch the second episode and give it another chance. Episode 2 is where the series seriously starts to get suspenseful!

10. Rida says:

Seriously dont get why ABC keeps promting Scandal when its already i hit for them? They should concentrate on theiir other great shows of which ratings are tanking unfortunately all due to their crappy scheduling. (Revenge duhh!)
    Hopefully Castle does great this Monday to knock some sense into ABC, so they can finally see what an asset it is for me.
    Ohh well…

11. nick1372 says:

WHY?? I was so looking forward to that video & it doesn’t work

12. Heather says:

They should have done a partial DWTS reveal during the Oscars…

13. I know Mistresses doesn’t have an official premiere date, but is expected to premiere some time in May for a summer run, but is there any chance ABC will air some kind of promo for it during the Oscars? I’m assuming ‘no’.

14. K says:

Are they seriously using “From the screenwriters of the TWILIGHT series” to promote this show?

• Sami says:

Was just about to comment on that. I think that line alone is gonna cost them a few million viewers. I know it lost me.

• Karin says:

I don’t understand it either, specially since “Red Widow” is based on a Dutch show, “Penoza”, which obviously had nothing to do with the screenwriters from Twilight. Though I don’t know how much good it will do to mention that it comes from the country that brought you “Big Brother” and “The Voice” (not that Penoza has any similarities to those two nightmares)

15. Candice says:

While i dont mind the series getting the promos, i do have to ask why they dont give these promo slots to shows that actually need it like idk REVENGE or NASHVILLE. Those are shows that need the ratings.

16. Nashville is actually getting one.

17. JJ says:

I expect Red Widow will be cancelled half way through that promo airing.

18. Leondre says:

When Will ABC learn how to heavily promote more than just one show?

19. Krithika says:

Know what ABC stands for?
    Anything
    But
    Castle
    ABC has zero respect for Castle. Not a single promo not a single bit of love. Why ABC always treats Castle like dirt is beyond me. Sometimes I wish that show was on another channel…

• Agreed. I watch two comedies and two other dramas on ABC and I never see a promo for it, not even on Sundays. And yet, when I’m watching Suburgatory On-Demand and Nashville live, I see promos for Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal. Apparently it would kill ABC to air Castle promos during Once Upon a Time and Revenge. They do it for The Bachelor!

20. Jacky Boy says:

Nothing has been mistreated more this season than Happy Endings. If any show deserves a special promo, it’s that show!

21. sean says:

A GH 50th anniversary plug would’ve been nice. Two oscars ago Sandra Bullock and Morgan Freeman gave a shout out (involving Franco)

22. Marco says:

WHY do they keep promoting their ‘serious drama’ with ‘from the writer of TWILIGHT’??

That’s shooting yourself in the foot!

23. Nick says:

this Red Widow show reminds of that one show that aired as a mid-series replacement with Jude something and she thought her husband was dead and they were assassin’s, it got cancelled but was really good.

24. Ana says:

I have a theory that ABC is trying to purposely self-destruct. After the massive failure of Missing last season, why would they pursue a similar genre? And this looks an awful lot like The Mob Doctor which flopped on Fox. I guess since they already have it they are stuck with finding a spot for it and they might as well promote it as much as they can. This has not been a good year for ABC after the failures of 666, (why would they think that a name like that would generate interest is beyond me), The Last Resort (too heavy and portraying the U.S. Government in such a dark light, really?), and Zero Hour (this one I didn’t even bother with, too ‘DaVinci code for my taste). Not to mention The B in Apt. 23 being cancelled and The Neighbors teetering between retention and cancellation. I previewed the Family Tools and it was really bad as well. I hope that How to Live with Your Parents, does better because I really like the cast. Fingers crossed…

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m with you on How to Live with Your Parents – I think the show will succeed, but primarily because of the cast. Sarah C is as good as it gets for a television comedy – if she can’t make this series work, no one can. Plus, the show has Perkins and Garrett – they can’t do much better than that. Now, is the writing good enough – that’s what we’ll find out in April.

I think ABC figured they might have something here – they had the show originally placed to debut during winter DWTS break, and then held it back (thank goodness) and placed it in April following Modern Family at 9:30pm. That’s as good a place as ABC can offer.

ABC is having a rough 2012-13 season, but they might be able to finish strong – I’m sure that’s their hope at this point. However, if Live w/Parents does well, I think Neighbors is finished in May… I don’t see both coming back – one is getting that Wed/8:30pm spot next fall, the other is done.

25. omabin says:

Was there any revenge promo?

26. Are the ABC execs purposely trying to kill Revenge? First moving it to the appallingly competitive Sunday spot and now not giving it an Oscars promo when that’s exactly what it needs to stay afloat?

At least Castle has made it to it’s 5th season- it’s a show that clearly has longevity in it’s premise and a loyal fanbase. Revenge is just in it’s 2nd season and ABC are already throwing it in the deep end.

• nick1372 says:

Yeah, ABC is sabotaging themselves by putting Revenge on after the second-highest rated drama on the network (and the fifth-highest rated drama on TV) and not promoting it during a show where only three other shows were actually promoted.
      *rollseyes*