ABC Pilot Scoop: Community's Ken Jeong Is Spy's Boss AKA 'The Examiner'

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Ken Jeong Cast in ABC Spy PilotOne by one, they all just fade away…?

Community‘s Ken Jeong has landed a plum role in ABC’s Spy pilot, playing Rob Corddry’s boss at the Secret Service.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Based on a UK series, Spy follows the well-intentioned, divorced father of a highly intelligent and verbal son (Mockingbird Lane‘s Mason Cook) who inadvertently takes a job at the Secret Service in order to prove himself a worthy dad. Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) will play ex-wife to Corddry.

Jeong’s character, known as The Examiner, was played by Robert Lindsay (Jericho) in the Sky1 version.

Spy is “second position” for Jeong, should NBC’s Community not get renewed for Season 5.

Comments (15)

• How about they just write Chang out? It’ll keep the costs down, which gives NBC incentive to renew it, and…well, Chang isn’t funny.

Comment by M – February 22, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. He is the worst character on that show by far. He hardly appears anymore anyway and when he does it is a completely separate storyline.

Comment by Chris – February 22, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hardly appears anymore? You can’t be talking about this season because only 2 episodes have aired thus far and he appeared in one of them. But you can’t be talking about last season either because his character was a main focus.

I do wonder, however, how his character is going to be able to come back (to the group) after being such an insane villain. Probably has at least something to do with City College. But I have seen him in things TVLINE has already posted. I think I saw something about him with the group and Dean during the Christmas episode.

Comment by Potato strong – February 23, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There has been three episodes and in the two I saw he was there 10 seconds.

After last seasons storyline he is not needed.

Comment by Midori4 – February 23, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry, meant to say only 2 episodes since the premiere, which he appeared in. But I agree. And I don’t even think they would need to write him out. More like, stop writing him in.

Comment by Potato strong – February 23, 2013 10:47 AM PDT
    • Couldn’t agree more!! The writers have had nl idea what to do with Chang since they screwed up making him a student. I don’t think I would miss him if he left.

Comment by mary – February 22, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen thw original Spy on Hulu and I don’t think they will be able to capture the same comedic genius that the British series has. Plus I like the kid on the original series coz he’s such an original.

Comment by Alexia – February 22, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This cast looks awesome so far.

Comment by Eric – February 22, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, gotta say, I’m actually kinda curious about this show. May have to give it a look when it finally debuts on TV.

Comment by Angela – February 22, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The British version is great! You should catch it on Hulu!

Comment by Sheila – February 23, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think I’ll do so, it’d be nice to kinda get an idea of what the original’s like and all that sort of thing. Thanks for the recommendation :).

Comment by Angela – February 23, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched Butter today and I finally got over my hate for Rob. He was really endearing in that movie (Despite being an awful film overall). That being said, I still don’t like Paget Brewster. Yuck. I do like Ken Jeong though so this is good news and the hulu commericals for this show make it look pretty funny.

Comment by Mark – February 22, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If community somehow manages to return, I hope they get rid of this guy. He isn’t funny at all, not in Community, and not in anything else.

Comment by Joey – February 22, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, he’ll be perfect in that roll, although I’m still a bot weary of who they’ve cast as the lead.

Comment by Drewer – February 22, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how I feel about this. The first series on Hulu is by far one of the funniest shows I’ve ever watched. Pure comedic brilliance. I don’t know if it can hold up to the expectations I have. And Ken Jeong? I just don’t know, he’s funny and all, but the examiner is supposed to be completely ridiculous but at the same time have a “badass” mystique about him. I don’t think he can pull it off. Robert Lindsay was brilliant.

Comment by Douglas – February 23, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post