Vampire Diaries Recap: Going Down in Flames

Stand by MeElena returned to Mystic Falls on Thursday’s Vampire Diaries holding on to one last bit of hope in the wake of Jeremy’s fatal neck-snapping by Silas.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Finds a New Witch

Much like viewers, E’s having trouble dealing with the shocking and unexpected turn of events. But she’s not giving up on the idea that the Gilbert ring will save her little bro. His tattoo is gone, so maybe he’s no longer a supernatural hunter, she reasons. However, the truth of her new situation soon sinks in. She’s lost her last remaining family member. All alone now, she takes a match and burns down her house with Jeremy in it.

Did we mention that Elena does this after Damon, via sire bond, tells her to turn off her humanity to make the pain stop? Are we about to finally see the true vampire side of the lone Gilbert?!

Let’s review the episode’s biggest shockers:

ELENA ON THE EDGE | Everyone’s in a panic when Elena refuses to accept that Jeremy is gone for good. The body is starting to – gulp – decompose and smell, but she just sits by Jer’s side, waiting for him to wake up. Reinforcements are called in. First, Dr. Fell arrives and scientifically spouts off what’s going to happen if Elena doesn’t release the remains to her. Then Matt walks in and, upon seeing his dead friend, begins to tear up. But Elena remains convinced that there’s a magical way to bring back Jeremy. They just need Damon to find Bonnie back on the island.

BONNIE DRINKS THE KOOL-AID | Yes, the witch has survived physically, but her sanity… well, that’s another issue altogether. Shane spills the beans that Jeremy’s dead and uses that as a way to convince Bonnie to bring back the dead. Silas can’t practice magic anymore, so that’s why the professor has been teaching Bonnie expression. To tap into that magic, there needs to be a third massacre of 12 people so Bonnie can feed off to the power and drop the veil to the other side, which would also bring back all the monsters that have died. Grief-stricken, she tells Shane she’ll do whatever it takes. After Damon finds her – “I could actually hug you right now,” he says upon seeing her, and then actually does embrace her! – they head home, where Bonnie unveils her crazy plan to her friends. Not surprisingly, they have some issue with it, and Elena finally starts to realize there’s no hope for Jeremy. And hey, Shane’s in Mystic Falls, except it’s not really him because he’s still lying near death on the island! So this Silas fellow can take on the appearance of other people? Interesting… “We’ll do this together, you and I,” fake Shane tells her. “We are the beginning.”

STAGE 4: DEPRESSION | It’s a phone call for Jeremy from April that finally gets Elena to drop the d-word: “Jeremy can’t come to the phone right now. He’s not… I’m sorry. He’s dead.” She decides to burn down the house and Jeremy’s body as cover story for his death. “I don’t want to live here anymore,” she cries, throwing around objects that remind her of all the loved ones she’s lost. No need for that bourbon now that Alaric is gone, sniff sniff! “There’s nothing here for me anymore.” After she starts sobbing uncontrollably, Damon tells her to turn off her humanity, and Elena’s eyes go void of emotion. It’s the only way she won’t lose it now that she has no one, he reasons. “She lost her brother,” he says to Stefan. “I’m not enough. Not this time.” Even the younger Salvatore can’t argue too much with what Damon did when it’s the only thing keeping Elena in one piece. But she still goes through with her plan and torches her home, declaring that she’ll never want to go back there, even when this is all over.

PARTNERS IN CRIME | The hunter Vaughn reveals to Damon and Rebekah that Katherine was up to speed on the cure because she had someone on the inside – Hayley!

Vampire Diaries fans, are you mourning Jeremy? Who wrecked you the most: Elena or an unusually emotional Matt? And were you surprised by the identity of Katherine’s mole?

1. Maliu says:

Now that Elena has no more family to kill off what will the writer’s do for a dramatic cliffhanger? Matt wins my heart in this episode because when he came in & looked at the body on the bed & just said, “Elena,” my heart broke.

2. KEviNTUCKY says:

Has anyone considered Silas draining Jeremy of his blood and then killing him made him a vampire? You read it here first folks. Jeremy will return as a vampire. I slept with Julie Plec last night and she told me during pillow talk.

3. Cathy O. says:

What is the point in having two Katherines now? I wonder what will be the difference? I am lost as to what direction the writers are going. I am looking forward to the final eight episodes because I am hoping everything will come together and make sense.

As far as the sire bond goes, if Damon turns human will Elena automatically get her humanity back as well as have the sire bond released?

4. lynn says:

Jermery is not dead. He’s int he next five episode. Check out IMdp

5. vannesa180 says:

well..since katherine and elena look alike..and she pretends to be elena sometimes..how can you tell them apart..thats fustrating!..cuz on the episode down the rabbit hole..i really thought it was elena..for a moment

• Cathy O. says:

Their hairstyles and mannerisms are usually different but now that Elena has loss her humanity, I am sure they will be acting very similar so I don’t know how you will be able to tell them apart. Hopefully Stefan and Damon will know the difference.

6. Cathy O. says:

Did anyone else notice in last night’s episode that Damon and Elena seemed distant? I know that’s the writer’s (Julie Plec) way of letting us know they will not be the endgame but does it have to be so obvious? Elena walked right pass Damon when he arrived and you would think, as a couple, she would have wanted some comfort from him. I don’t know, maybe that’s just me but it also seemed as though Damon didn’t know what to do. Stefan had to tell him to comfort her and that’s not Damon.

If the writers were going to put her back with Stefan, why create this 3-1/2 year slow burn between her and Damon? Just have her choose Stefan and leave it that way since everyone is sick of the love triangle anyway. I am a Delena fan but it just seems to me that since Elena professed her love to Damon, they have steadily been declining. And I am keeping my fingers crossed that now that she has lost her humanity she won’t be doing what Katherine did and sleeping with both of them. That would be way too tacky.

And with everyone dying and the Originals leaving, what type of stories are left for next season, another year of boring Stelena with Damon pining again for her? I don’t think I can take another year of the neverending love triangle! Even on True Blood, Sookie made a choice between Bill and Eric, come on now!

• sls says:

I think it is a good sign. They aren’t rushing into things the way Stefan and Elena did. Damon and Elena have a lot of issues to work through, the sure bond, his not believing she loves him etc. I think they are building to an epic Delena end game.
      Plus Elena has a lot of personal stuff going on and her character needs to grow up a bit and that needs to happen outside of a relationship. I’m choosing to think positive Delena thoughts. Lol

7. vannesa180 says:

true blood is similar to vampire diaries…but in my opinion i think true blood is better..atleast i thought that until season 5

8. Cathy O. says:

Can someone answer this question for me?

As far as the sire bond goes, if Damon should turn human will Elena automatically get her humanity back as well as have the sire bond released?

• Paulena says:

Why are people assuming he’s going to be human? What does him becoming human do for any situation? She will stay a vampire then and then what? It’s not going to work. Her love should be with stefan. Damon needs to just be a bad ass and maybe rose will come back.

9. Alice says:

So, Shane was supposed to be the one person that could keep Bonnie from going all Dark-Willow. And he’s pretty near dead- I don’t see Rebekah caring enough about anything to bring him back. Bonnie’s best friend just shut off all her humanity. That witch is so totally screwed. Who is going to defuse the Bonnie-bomb now?

10. vannesa180 says:

is damon really going to die anyway..no one knows for sure

11. Kerry says:

That is nonsense that they killed off Jeremy. Especially with no goodbyes for Bonnie. This season has been the worst by far. I loved this show from the beginning but now it’s just devoid of any humanity. Matt and Sheriff Forbes are the only humans left.

12. Lynn says:

I had to get caught up with several episodes I’d missed so I watched all of the last 5 last night. OMG! I almost had nightmares about what went on at that island (was that Lake Lanier or Allatoona?). Shane was dead when blondie walked by and grabbed her leg. So the Shane talking to Bonnie was actually Silas. Jeremy dying was so sad, and Elena losing all her kinfolk has affected her mind negatively now. But my hope is that somehow Jeremy will be brought back to life without Bonnie having to massacre anyone else or opening the death veil to the other side and letting them back through. My guess now is that the originals better watch out, and especially Katherine.

13. Seariz says:

Bonnie must d0 s0mething…. C’m0n!!

14. tanya says:

honestly i feel bornie should have been able to save jeremy. im really heartbroken….and i feel like u should have not turned of elana’s humanity. you needed it for when she would meet silas the person who killed her brother. now that would have been an episode. but im really hurt about jeremy. i cried so much. if you could bring him back that would be super.

• Faster says:

I don’t think her turning off her humanity will stop her from wanting revenge, it just allows her not to internalize her emotions. She’ll definitely want to kill Silas, especially because he’s only just begun to wreak havoc on the group….maybe they should have listened to crazy Kol after all!

15. vannesa180 says:

i think this is a really good season..but for people who are complaning stop watching it

16. Faster says:

I wonder if the people who come on here and say they are going to stop watching the show for whatever reason also leave the movie theater when something doesn’t go their way on screen.

17. VampireDiariesDieHardFan says:

I cried for the entire show! :’( Nina Dobrev’s performance was spectacular! She portrayed a severely grief stricken character very well, and I felt like I was feeling everything she was feeling. All in all, it was an amazing episode and I’m crossing my fingers as hard as I can that Jeremy is somehow brought back!

18. Monica says:

I do not care what anyone else thinks, this show is one of the best imgination of “supernatural” beings that I have ever seen. It’s sad to see Jeremy pass away, I also do not think they will bring him back. If by chance Bonnie decides to go with the plan on killing 12 people then I guess we will deff have to see what happens until then.

19. Umm… if Jeremy died and the ring didn’t work, he was STILL a hunter, right? Okay… SO doesn’t that mean that Silas will experience the hunters curse? That would be a pretty good reason for Silas to want to bring Jeremy back to life somehow. Which if he does – yay! There’s so much death on the vampire diaries. I think that would be good if for once the show did something unexpected and brought Jeremy back to life after the fans and the characters had lost all hope of him coming back – ever. I mean for those of you who watched Buffy, they still brought her back even after she’d been dead and buried for months! And the show still worked extremely well IMO. Bonnie doing dark magic with Silas would be a great plot. Bringing Jeremy back but also bringing a baddie back as a consequence – worth it lol.

• kim says:

i think your are exactly right on this…way to much death on this show…and they def need to bring jeremy back

20. vannesa180 says:

cant wait to see elena now that she has no humanity..but she will be similar to katherine..did yal see elena standing there with no clothes on..on the next episode

21. vannesa180 says:

their would be no point if katherine and elena act the same.cause then she is pretty much playing two of the same characters

22. vannesa180 says:

jeremy was never really a main character anyway..but that was also elena last family member..

23. kim says:

if they do not bring jeremy back the show is ruined im sorry but they have went to far this time …to many people has been killed off this show as is …and im actually after almost four years ready to quit watching it…

24. Gemma says:

That Bonnie and Damon hug was the most shockingly unexpected thing ever!

25. Is it bad to only eat breakfast for a total day whilst getting Fruta Planta Chinease products?