Post Mortem: Beauty and the Beast EP Weighs In on the [Spoiler], That Scene and What's Next

Tough LoveWarning: The following contains major spoilers from this week’s episode of Beauty and the Beast.

Matters of love… and death… loomed large this week on The CW’s Beauty and the Beast. Starting with the sadder latter, when Darius got into a bit of a pickle with some thugs he owed money to, Vincent beasted out and leaped into action, all in the name of saving Catherine’s sister Heather from being whacked as a witness to the illegal dealings. Alas, in the course of doing so, Vincent got Darius killed — the first innocent to die by his hands.

As for the love… well, at the climax of an episode that spent much time teeing up a fake, then possibly real, break-up between Catherine and Vincent, the show zagged instead of zigged and had the beauty proclaim her love for her beast. He responded in kind and then some, as they finally went all in on the kiss that for weeks has evaded them (and in turn taunted fans).

Knowing that you’d crave more, more, more, TVLine reached out to executive producer Brian Peterson about this week’s big happenings and the (sex-y?) twists to come when Season 1 resumes on March 14.

TVLINE | At the time I spoke to Sherri Cooper in early December and she said a first kiss was coming, did you all know back then that it would land in this midseason finale?
You know, everything on the show has been a constant conversation and has been slightly in flux because we’re trying to really pace things a certain way, to not hold things too long. We had somewhat intended it [to happen to by this point], but we weren’t positive. But now that it’s shot, it’s really going to escalate. We’re not going to do one of those things where we tease it and then pull it away. We’re really going to keep heating things up.BeautyBeast_0221_kiss

TVLINE | Was it important to you to bundle with this moment their exchanging of the L-word?
We want to make this show feel as real as possible, but it’s also a bit of the “epic love” that everybody’s hoping for. So we really wanted to hit the beats the way that you’d want them to fall. They say they love each other before things escalate beyond that.

TVLINE | But is it safe to say that, as much as you want to “keep heating things up,” there’ll be no sex quite yet?
I would keep watching. We really wanted to have a lot of integrity as far as the way that would play out. Coming back in the next few episodes, you’ll see their relationship change pretty dramatically.

TVLINE | On a very different note: Is Joe going to be particularly fired up coming out of Darius’ tragic death?
He is going to be furious, and that’s going to really drive the next several episodes for sure. He is out for blood and out, for vengeance.

TVLINE | Is this where Sendhil Ramamurthy’s “great antagonist” DA comes in, as the guy leading the new charge to hunt down the beast who killed a hero’s brother?
Yes, and he is fantastic. He comes in and creates a task force specifically to hunt this thing — and Cat ends up on that task force. She ends up right  smack dab in the middle of everything.

TVLINE | And how is Vincent himself going to cope with his role in Darius’ death? Is he going to make it a priority to hunt down the thugs that pulled him into this mess?
That’s a big part of the next episode. It is all about trying to track down the one witness who escaped [the crime scene]. It s very much is about Joe trying to hunt Vincent and Vincent trying to exonerate himself, so that he has some kind of a witness to say that he wasn’t completely at fault for what happened.

TVLINE | I found it a bit conspicuous that Vincent ran over to Heather and spoke to her while he was trying to wake her up. Is that something that she is going to start to recall, and place him at the scene? Because I was, like, yelling, “Dude, don’t let her know you were there!”
When you’re a beast, you sometimes don’t think things through. It’s just what happens. But, what I can tell you is somebody close to Cat, within the next few episodes, is going to find out that she’s connected to the beast. And that is kind of a big deal coming up.

Want more scoop on Beauty and the Beast, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

“Crazy stuff happens, and all I want to do is share it with you. Figure it out with you.
My normal… it’s when I’m with you. I love you.”

“I am so in love with you.”

1. Katie says:

How is this show still on the air yet Emily Owens MD was canceled. CW has serious issues when it comes to quality shows. This show should’ve been canned a while ago, it’s quite horrible to watch.

• Kira says:

Not everybody feels that way. I happen to LOVE this show!!!!!! Sad to see Emily Owens go. I thought it had a lot of potential.

• Sarah says:

The ratings for Emily MD were just too low, that’s why it got canceled. Doesn’t make sense for CW to keep airing a series that’s not making the cut and IMHO, Beauty and the Beast isn’t horrible at all! I’m seriously enjoying it! :)

• Naazneen says:

The pilot was. Since then you have likely not been watching. It’s become quite good. This week, it’s shot up to outrageously good!!!

• Agree! The show radically improved since the first couple of episodes. It makes me sad to think that maybe a lot of ppl just stopped watching and never got a chance 2 see how good it has gotten.

• Just Me says:

The pilot was good and seriously isn’t there enough DOCTOR shows on, this is not a traditional cop show it’s more about a love so strong you will do anything to be with or protect the person you love.

• Kinsella says:

This show is fantastic! It’s no ones fault at BatB that Emily got the can. I loved Emily too and was upset it was cancelled. The CW has some shows I consider crappy (HOD & Arrow), but for some reason one got renewed and the other came in with an existing fan base. The CW just needs to do better pairing of their shows. They mostly air teen soapy shows or supernatural/crime fighting shows. Emily didn’t fit in anywhere and with little advertising it didn’t go far. I miss it, but BATB is great and I’ve come to learn Jay Ryan is a very gifted actor.

• guest says:

really? Emily Owens was the most annoying show ever. I’d rather watch a commercial for Hemorrhoid cream for an hour. B&tB on the other hand is fun to watch and better than expected.

• Zak says:

“The thing I don’t like got taken away so I’m going to piss on everyone else whose tastes don’t exactly match my own.”

• Casey says:

My thoughts exactly, Zak! That one person doesn’t like it so therefore it is a crap show and should be cancelled despite the ratings/fans.

• TVDIVA says:

The pilot was horrible. Every episode since then has been great and the show picked up more than enough viewers to get a full first season and renewed early for a second season. Emily Owens MD got cancelled because unfortunately no one was watching. That is normal for TV shows and networks. If you do not like Beauty and the Beast, then don’t watch or post rants just because your favorite show is gone.

• tekiqia says:

Quit being a hater. This is the best show on tv right now and last night ep proves it. So loving Vincent and his sexy voice. And that kiss…… priceless

• Fran says:

No need to to call a show horrible because yours is being canned. Beauty and the Beast is a wonderful show. Sorry to see Emily Owens MD go. But like everything else it has to do with ratings.

• liza says:

Don’t be a hater

• Maria says:

BATB is the best, if you don’t like it watch something else…don’t be a Debbie downer for people who know what a good show is.

• Just Me says:

So don’t watch it, personally I think Emily Owens was lame and there’s enough DOCTOR shows on…Beauty and The Beast isn’t at a traditional cop show, it’s about a love that’s so strong you will do anything to protect them.

• Debbie says:

Beauty and the Beast is the BEST new CW show. The storylines are compelling and intriguing. Each episode is better than the last one. This show has action and mystery. But most of all, it is the timeless love story that hooks my entire family week after week. We dvr all the episodes so that we can viewing them whenever we want to. The obvious reason for the cancellation of Emily Owens MD was that NOBODY was watching it!!!

• Chichi says:

You are so boring girl! You must not watch TV series, you don’t how to rate a show! Beauty and the Beast has a great potential than Emily Owens MD! Come on!

• Alexia Pons says:

BATB has so much going on to be liked bt audiences: great writing, full of action, great love story beteen Cat and Vincent. The cast delivers amazing performances, and the show has a very solid international followers.(I’m from the Dominican Rep.) I think this is one of the best shows, worth to be happily glued in front of the TV for a whole hour.

2. susie says:

Matt, I think I love you, holding that in for as long as you did. Absolutely amazing episode!!

3. Kira says:

Tonight’s episode was epic!!!!! Really hoping for a renewal. I LOVE this show!!!!!

4. Tina says:

Thank you Matt! Love that this show is getting some love! Haters are going to hate.

5. Danielle says:

I love this show! Tonight was the best when they kissed,i have been waiting forever for that moment and it couldnt have played out better! I seen the preview for the March 14 episode, looks so good. I CANT WAIT! Im glad we will get to see a little hot and sexy between them. I love the mistery and sexual tention in the show. I liked going for things that were dangerious, so i can relate.

• rosie says:

I love their sexual tension and it’s a testament to how great they are as actors. Each gives and takes enough that teases you, making you to want more of their skinship;)

6. rosie says:

OMG, their kiss scene was so hottt and sexy, like I know I shouldn’t eat this chocolate cake but ooooo it looks and taste soooo good. Vincent knows how to be passionate and dreamy. I also love the L word they expressed to each other. It shows how much they internally love and want each other. OMG, can’t wait for next episode.

• marybadtke says:

the kiss was well worth waiting for .jealous

• maria says:

I love this show. I commend CW for adding this show to my list of shows I religiously watch. The producers of this show really casted the actors well. The prelude to the kissing scene of Catherine & Vincent was well done. And finally the kissing scene was worth the wait. I applaude their performance in portraying the chemistry they have for each other. The songs are great whoever puts it together with the scenes. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see more episodes…

7. Debby says:

the CW never should have cancelled Emily Owens M D. yet you keep The Carrie Diaries. yuck. i did love the finale of Emily. i want a Season 2 of Beauty and the beast. if they don’t i am done with The CW. I am a new CW fan. Don’t disappoint me again.

8. CoCo says:

thank you “BATB” for wonderful thursday…finally (^~^)

9. Alichat says:

So Darius the Red Shirt died.

10. Tom says:

Tugh LOve was Fantastic.

11. That was the best eps thus far. Perfection really. had us all going on a roller coaster of emotions.. and then that epic ending. Cloud 9. ;) ..

12. Eliza says:

Loved everything about the final scene. What a kiss…. Kristin & Jay have wonderful chemistry.

• Kinsella says:

I think Jay could have chemistry with a celery stalk

• Claudia says:

Ill have to agree with that, but Kristin and Jay are dynamite, we already seen them with the square Evan and Alex they had chemistry but no this hotness they have going on! WOW

• Danielle H. says:

I think they have fantastic chemistry, but that particular scene actually fell a bit flat for me. I didn’t feel the kiss like I wanted to. Also, surprised such a minor character death happened, I was expecting Joe the Capt. or the sister for some reason.

• Casey says:

That minor character’s death will have a major impact on the show since now Cap’n will stop at nothing & will use any and all available resources to seek out the killer of baby brother. Vincent killing the brother was a more dangerous move than if Vincent killed the Cap’n.

13. Kat says:

The best episode of the season. Just amazing. I am so glad I didn’t give up in the series after the pilot( which sucked btw).
    Hope they renew it cause it quickly became my fav show

14. Claudia Keller says:

People just watch this show, if it has so much buzzz and many people like it is for a reason…..today episode was by far my favorite and every episode gets better and better and I cant tell by the ball next episode will be much better than this….beasties we got 2 weeks to get more people on board…this is just a great show writing is getting better and better, roller coaster of emotions!!!!!!

15. eni says:

is Vincent grabbing Cat ass while kissing???

• TK says:

haahaha!! he was totally feeling that ass up!!! I was like phwoar! more please!!

• Kinsella says:

Lmao! I saw that too! I don’t think it was intentional, but he did move his hand back up and it seemed like he was.

• mtm says:

that hand gesture has its purpose. if you look closely the veins on his hand pops out meaning he’s becoming a beast.

• mtm, you just made an observation I never noticed. He was almost turning into a beast; which the spoilers for the March 14 episode is suggesting with that candlelight scene…. hmmmm… Anyway, this show is the most intriguing one there is out there right now. Bar none!

• ANH says:

Yeah, I thought he was getting a little low there too! As for all the Emily Owens nonsense, it was a great show, and it had potential. I think that the real reason they messed up with the show is the whole love triangle between Will, Emily, and Micah. In my opinion, Emily should have picked Micah without a problem. Then, in the series finale, Emily sleep with Will, are you kidding me? And you wonder why they shut the show down, why people stopped watching?

• Belinda says:

I noticed that touchie feelie on Catherine’s bottom, too. Vincent, you sly romantic rascal. Loved that kiss.

16. Danielle says:

I have to say that, that was the best “i love you ” and kiss scene i have ever watched! I have been watching this show from the very first episode and i have been hooked ever sence. I hope we will many seasons to come!

17. Autumn says:

Thanks for the interview! Loved the ending.

18. Celia says:

Thank you for your speedy review and excellent insight! I love watching Beauty and the Beast and the roller coaster we the fans are on isn’t too turbulent – just enough up and down’s to keep us coming back for more. It’s what we think is going to happen, with a bit of confirmation, and finally an unbelievable surprise : ) Ahhh, amour!

19. Sarah says:

This show has just gotten better and better, I can’t wait to see what happens. It has improved in quality and consistency since the pilot, with this episode being the best one so far. I really hope it gets a second season as it certainly deserves it.

20. Katie says:

Love this show. Can’t wait for season 2. CW would be crazy not to renew! This episode was by far the best and just keeps you wanting more!

21. JulieDawn says:

Best. Romance. Ever.

22. Domino says:

Tonight’s episode was truly EPIC! Well done. The way they proclaimed there love for one another really shows the integrity the writers have for these characters. Can’t wait for March 14th!! Got nothing but Love for this show!

23. Elisabeth says:

Batb started slow but it has tremendous following and some serious fan base. I know they will get a second season for sure! Jay Ryan and Kristin Kreuk have some serious chemistry together on tv! I would be careful not to let that show get into their private lives. They look very in love onscreen “)

24. KC says:

Thanks for reaching out and feeding our craving some. Until I started watching Beauty and the Beast, I had always assumed that the CW only hired generic pretty people and not very good actors, but this cast is a pleasure to watch and Kreuk in particular has really delivered several strong performances.

25. Lea says:

Loved tonight’s episode so much!! The “I love you’s” were perfect!! I really need to see more of Cat and Vincent in love!! The CW really needs to renew this show!!

26. Evan says:

Vincent did not kill an innocent. Darius was involved in shady and illegal things. Doesn’t mean Darius deserved it, but he certainly wasn’t innocent.

27. sinita says:

I absolutely love this show. CW must renew this show. It would be crazy not too. It has strong fan base, so pls pls do renew the show.
    Kristen & Jay are amazing actors and their chemistry is mind blowing. Its nice to see great romance still exists and this pair displays that very well. I love them both and i love the show.
    Must be renewed for second season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Celine says:

Vin is in love with Cat, Cat is in love with Vin, I’m in love with this freaking show!!! Sometimes you just need a romance to watch with your block of chocolate and enough space to do a victory dance. Best kissing scene I’ve ever seen on tv!

• marybadtke says:

i agree this is the best love that kiss and grab cant wait to it go farther 2 blks o choc .we need this show on utook oof other 2 i liked last tresort/666park place keep this one please

29. Mmopas says:

Love d show from d very beginning! Last nite’s ep is d most ever long awaited kiss dream come true!!!! Jay Ryan and Kristin Kreuk both deserve recognition for they both move the viewers, their expressions speaks quietly to all beasties , like u become d beast that hears how you feel!

Thanks for sharing with us! I want more Batb! Season Two please!

30. Claudia says:

Oh man! Last night episode, I loved it from A to Z, and what I love about the show and I’ve repeated this many times, Catherine character, that leading lady can take so much pressure on her and still her natural feelings of protection over the people she loves WOW, specially towards protecting Vincent goes beyond my imagination…thats the beauty of this show, all the things Cat endures just to have a glimpse of happiness with Vincent and viceversa! Thats what we beasties love about this show….Kristin Kreuk came a long way since her time in Smallville, she is making Catherine such an enjoyable character kudos, and Jay Ryan’s Vincent, you just cant feel the urge to protect him and you care for him…WOW speechless only slept 3 hours…Yess I have beastiphillia!!!!! Let’s roarrrr 2 more weeks!

31. Marsh says:

Love love this show!! Been a fan since the 1st episode. Wasn’t a fan of Kristin in smallville before but wow, this girl has some serious acting chops in her, and the chemistry between her and jay ryan just jumps out of the screen!! And that steamy ass grabbing kiss is worth the long wait!! This show should be given a 2nd season, its getting better and better every episode.. Roller coaster ride of emotions but i’m loving it plus the leads are all eye candy!!!!

32. Michelle says:

Am I the only one still swooning?! Loved the episode. It escalated everything perfectly. And Darius wasn’t innocent. I agree with Vincent; he was totally about to kill Heather. Guy was wrapped up in some shady stuff.

• alexis says:

NO!!!!!!!!11 I COULDNT EVEN FOCUS IN SCHOOL TODAY!!!!!! I JUST KEPT REPLAYING THE SCENE IN MY HEAD!!!!!! IM IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT CANCEL IT!!!!! I COULD CRY!!!! PPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RENEW FOR A SECOND SEASON ANS MANY MORE AFTER THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

33. mike says:

The show keeps getting better.

34. Renee says:

THANKS MATT!!! Loved this episode, but have you watched the next episode yet? Cause from the preview it looked like Vincent’s little issue with adrenaline is going to interfere in the bedroom. I’ve assumed that was where the story was headed and it looks like I’m right. Care to confirm?
    And Matt thanks again for reporting on this show. So many people just blow it off and I really appreciate that you’re not one of them.

35. Kali says:

Thanks for the great insight!
    I really love Beauty and the Beast…the story gets better week by week and the chemistry between the protagonist is simply beautiful.
    What I love and admire most about the show though is that it doesn’t do the so-often-played-and-ultimately-always-lost game of “will they won’t they”. The story and the people behind it show great courage and integrity in following through what they promise through the wonderful dialogue and perfect performance. This follow-through is hardly ever seen on TV shows since the people behind it seem to be more interested in ratings than in the integrity of the story they’re telling.
    I truly enjoy watching Beauty and the Beast and the last few minutes of “Tough Love” were the perfect ending to a perfect episode. I hope the show gets the chance to explore the journey of Vincent and Catherin further.

36. Renee says:

Oh yeah and Evan is the one who figures it out, but I really hope he doesn’t betray Cat in his eagerness to protect her.

37. Tracy says:

Thanks Matt for reporting on this show. I pray that the show continues, I truly enjoy watching BATB. The ending of the show was perfect! Love the ass grab! Blessings

38. abby says:

The pilot was lacking… but every show since then just continues to build in intensity, plot and character development… and character chemistry. It has become my go-to Thurs night show that I look forward to watching live I’m so excited about it. in fact… i look forward to it all week! Hope the writers, actors, etc continue to do exceedingly well at bringing these characters to life and the CW recognizes its potential for an early season 2 pickup!

39. Dulci says:

Thanks for coving this show Matt. I am so enjoying it. It is a real mental cookie for my brain during the week. Sometimes you just want a little action, romance and fun. This show has gotten better and better. I am really looking forward to them just being together and the mystery and action picking up.

40. Magically Suspicious says:

That kiss was totally worth the wait. So hot!

I feel like Evan will be the one to figure it out now that he’s forced to work with Muirfield. I see him going double agent to try to protect her.

41. Donnsa says:

I am so excited about this show. I usually don’t get hooked on cheesy love stories. But this show has mystery and love and 2 great actors that make you want to watch every second. Almost like you’re peeking into their private lives and you’re not supposed to. I really think Kristin and Jay have done a wonderful job capturing the essence of their characters. I really hope this show continues because it is getting better every week! Good job CW with this one. You have me hooked and I’m telling all my friends how goo this show is and that they NEED to watch it.

42. Harper says:

The kiss was perfect <3 I had been waiting so long for Vincent and Cat to kiss and it was truly epic the way it went down! BATB just keeps getting better and better!

43. alexis says:

IM SO IN LOVE WITHT THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!! IM REALLY HOPING FOR A SECOND SEASON!!!! CW would hvae to be crazy to not renew. i mean i rlly hope they r paying attention to us crazy fans like me and all of u! the ratings have gone up from last weeks, thats a good sign!!i realllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy hope they renew. ive already gotten 5 of my friends totally addicted! this show is wonderful and that kiss and the exchange of i love you’s was priceless! i have no idea how im gonna make it to the 14th!?!?!?! the bright to it coming back on then is there is no possible way in the universe ill forget my sis’s bday!!!!!!;)

44. Jules says:

I love this show! The writers have actually convinced me that Vincent is real :-)

It gets better with each episode and the kiss and “I love you’s” were worth waiting for!! Love it!!

45. Pink says:

Embrace the cheese factor- JT
    OHHMMYG! we just don’t embrace it, WE ATE IT! WHY did they kissed? because of that i haven’t got enough sleep repeating the scene. I AM SO IN-LOVE WITH YOU! *died* <3

• Pink says:

CW must think not just twice but many times if they want this to cancel. I betcha they WON’T! :) WELCOMING SEASON 2!! 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 …..

46. Marci says:

Really like Beauty and the Beast and Nikita but would like to see more of Catherine’s and Heather’s Father, who played Roan in Nikita. I feel there is more to learn about his relationship with his Daughter’s especially after his Wife was killed.

47. Lorena says:

I have to say I’m really pleased TVLine is covering this show. That said, it’s totally cheesy, but it’s my favorite guilty pleasure. I’ve been watching since the pilot and, while it’s had some moments where I couldn’t help but laugh at the ridiculousness, I will say that, overall, it’s gotten a lot better, from the writing to the acting.

That said, the most recent episode was its best by far. There is some great character development on several fronts, from Heather to Evan, so many characters are becoming more nuanced and real. Also enjoyed the movement in the major plot (the romance, duh!) and the sub-plots (let’s not forget about Muirfield and vigilante hunts).

While I obsessively check the ratings each week and understand how numbers affect cancellation, I sincerely hope the CW renews this show for a second season. It has a pretty solid fanbase and it’s getting a bit more media coverage every week.

Here’s to hoping it continues to improve after its winter break!

• Celia says:

Yes! I too find it ridiculous at times, but I keep coming back for more every week. The main characters romance is honest and true, within their realm of reality, and the supporting cast is wonderful, as well.

I guess it IS a guilty pleasure, although I had not considered it to be, reminiscing and remembering my days long ago in high school when it was all about the show you were watching after homework, and before bed.

Glad I’m not alone in loving Beauty and the Beast, laughing a bit at its supernatural storyline, extra gushy lines and hoping for more seasons to follow!

48. Akasha says:

Holy corndawgs!!! I bout’ passed out. Yes america I wept a tear. That kiss was so beautiful…so yummy. I was on the verge of no longer watching the show due to no kiss but it was worth the wait! Im no longer a doubter! ! Bring it on batb! You have my attention!

49. mtm says:

i realy realy love this show!!! hoping for season 2, pretty pretty please. . . just want to point out something about the ending which by the way was sooooo amazing. the almost ass grabbing scene only shows something. . . if you look at vincent’s hand you will notice that his veins are out and possibly becoming a beast.