Ratings: Smash Goes Even Lower, Cult Finds Few Followers, Body of Proof Returns Down

Smash Ratings Episode 3There was no crescendo but instead diminuendo for NBC’s Smash in its second outing/third episode, as the musical-drama dropped some 25 percent to 3.3 million total viewers and a 0.9 rating.

Setting the table for Smash, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers did a 1.4 and 1.3 (up week-to-week), while Go On (1.1) and The New Normal (1.0) dipped two tenths and one tenth, respectively, from their last fresh outings.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s Smash Recap: Dramaturg the Beat Around

The CW’s Cult opened to 941,000 total viewers and a 0.3 rating, down sharply from both Emily Owens‘ own Tuesdays-at-9 premiere (1.7 mil/0.5) and finale (1.5 mil/0.4). Lobbing in another recent CW benchmark: The Carrie Diaries debuted to 1.6 mil and a 0.6 (on a Monday). Hart of Dixie at 8 pm (1.4 mil/0.5) dipped a tenth.

ABC’s Body of Proof returned to 6.7 mil and a 1.2 rating, down 29 and 45 percent from its sophomore opener and off more than 30 percent from its last finale. The Taste opened ABC’s night with 4.9 mil and a 1.6 (ticking up a tenth) and The Bachelor followed with 8.1 mil/2.6 (down a tenth from its previous Tuesday telecast).

Over on CBS, NCIS led the night with 21 million total viewers and a 3.5 rating (dipping 4 percent and two tenths), NCIS: Los Angeles (16.3 mil/2.7) slipped 13 percent in the demo and Vegas dropped a few eyeballs but dominated the 10 o’clock hour with 9.7 mil/1.5. Here’s a fun fact from Vulture ratings-smith Joe Adalian:

At Fox, meanwhile, Raising Hope (3.7 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth, while New Girl (4.4 mil/2.2) and The Mindy Project (3 mil/1.6) each fell about 15 percent in the demo.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Tran says:

Are people “obsessed” with NCIS & NCIS: L.A.?

• Elyse says:

they are both good shows… not surprised they do well in the ratings.

• Maria says:

Well, as a weekly viewer of NCIS, I’d say I enjoy it, but I’m not “obsessed” with it. Doing something on a consistent basis, like watching a show every Tuesday, doesn’t necessarily equal “obsession.” I mean, most of us eat or go to work on a consistent basis, but that doesn’t make us “obsessed ” with food or our jobs…

2. Steve says:

Ouch and ouch.

3. Andres says:

Should have KEPT Smash On Mondays where it was doing great

• Stacey says:

It was only doing well because of being after the Voice, and even then it was falling by the end of the season. And there is no Voice until the end of March. So therefore, even on Monday…it wouldn’t be doing any better.

• dan says:

Say so long to Smash. Too bad, it had potential. The question now: will NBC burn off the season two episodes now or wait for summer?

• Tagrid says:

Are you kidding? It was on against Castle! I was SO happy to see it moved to Tue. BTW, it never was doing “great.” But I’d sure like to see it do better – I love the show – esp since Ellis is gone.

• Kc says:

There’s too much time between seasons. The momentum gained is lost.Fans today won’t wait for gratification. This is a “now” society. Their interest will wane if not held. Plus, the stories this season have gotten too convoluted. They’re not being given enough time in the episode to build, conflict and climax. When it started, it was about “bombshell” and the cast. Now, there have been so many secondary stories and characters that it’s lost it’s originality. Shame. I really liked the show the first season.

• Nancy Nix says:

i love smash hate that its going away

4. Linda says:

What a shame about Body of Proof. They revamped the whole show and it was really very good. Wish people would give it a chance.

• Alex says:

I gave it a chance and thought the new version sucked. I won’t be back next week!

• Rusty says:

I agree whole heartily. The new show sucked. They are still trying to make a late 50 something woman and convince viewers that she is in her 30′s. Stiletto heels and all. Still the same bad writing and still the same awful acting by the girl who plays her daughter. I was really hoping that they would kill her off or send her to her dads place on the west coast. Well, I gave it shot for old times sake but it is really bad. Not again.

• CAM says:

I hope I look as good as Dana Delaney does when I’m 57! Considering her daughter is supposed to be 14 or so, they aren’t trying to convice viewers she’s in her 30′s.

• Jen88 says:

Not sure if you’re doing the math here. I have a 13yr old and I’m in my 30′s…and that’s waiting until I finished graduate school and starting my career before having children. I agree that they’re downplaying her age. I think it’s great she looks great, but I wish we embraced women her real age in media instead of discussing her ability to age-pass.

• TV Gord says:

I agree with you, Linda. I really enjoyed last night’s episode and was shocked by the cliffhanger! It’s a shame about the ratings, but I think it’s “proof” that audiences are in the mood for shows to be launched or re-launched at mid-season (when you consider the bad numbers for every other mid-season show this winter). I dread the reception Revolution will get, but I won’t be at all surprised if most viewers have forgotten about that show, too!

• Fangirl says:

The problem seems to be that there is no one person on that show to root for, to like or to be interested in enough to watch. Dana is a great actress but sorry, simply do not care about her character.

5. Kresh says:

Wow now I am really sure that The CW won’t cancel Supernatural untill season 10, Just look at the awful ratings they are getting on their new shows BAD ONES ^^

6. dude says:

WOW, I was too optimistic about Cult and I knew that it was going to premier low. I figured it’d get a 0.6 at least for the first episode.

7. Mellie says:

What a shame. :/ Smash has improved immensely this season. Deserves another shot.

8. GS says:

Well, the CW showed a college basketball game in the Charlotte area and probably most of NC. I had to DVR Cult at 11 so I can watch it this weekend. Also DVR’ed Body of Proof cause I just couldn’t stay up last night.

9. paola says:

I already love Cult
    great Cast… Robert knepper and Matt Davis are Amazing

10. Adam Bramble says:

Cult will be become a cult show :D or w/e

11. Brandon says:

Wow, wow, wow. Everything was bad last night except for NCIS. Smash is so much better, they really should have waited to debut it until The Voice was back as a lead-in for Tuesday night.

12. sarah says:

I enjoyed Cult! I am a little worried about the numbers! Same with Smash.

13. Amanda says:

Ouch! I tuned out of Cult because the premise just made my head spin. Hopefully if it gets canned Matt Davis can be Mr. ghosty Alaric for a few episodes of TVD.

• iMember says:

Don’t see how that’s possible anymore with Jeremy dead and with it his ghost-seeing abilities. Unless they do those small cameos like with him listening to Damon talk at the cemetery.

14. Bobbi says:

Very discouraged about Smash. With these kinds of numbers, it is going to get cancelled. They have improved it greatly this season and I just wish there was a way to get people to give it another chance!

15. Spike says:

k now lets bring back Matt Davis as Alaric to The Vampire Diaries.

i was afraid this might happen, i watched the Pilot on Hulu earlier this week and for the first half hour i had no idea what was even going on. i’m sure itll do even worse next week

16. Susan says:

Who are the idiots that think taking shows like Touch, Smash and Revenge off the air for extended periods is a good thing! Viewers have very short memories.

• Elyse says:

true story!!!

• MaryAnn says:

It certainly killed Sarah Michelle Gellar’s “Ringer” last year. It was doing great in the “certain to be renewed range” and then it was off both December and January instead of just December. When it came back, no one found it, and it went straight down the tubes. It will be interesting to see how the extended hiatus affects “Revolution” and “Grimm”.

• Elyse says:

hoping both Revolution and Grimm still do good in the ratings when they come back. stupid NBC!

• Renee says:

I would have thought NBC would have ordered extra episodes of Revolution and Grimm, but no they REDUCE the number of Revolution episodes and take both off the air for a very long time. Seems less than intelligent.

• Alex says:

No, it was already faltering before the hiatus. Besides, no show has enough original episodes to avoid taking breaks. The usual is 22 episodes, which is only enough for 5 1/2 months of originals. If Ringer had showed a couple new episodes followed by a repeat followed by a couple weeks of new episodes followed by a repeat, for example, crybabies would have whined that the show didn’t air enough consecutive episodes to survive. But it’s basically either that or take a long hiatus (or two), and plenty of other shows make it though their hiatuses just fine.

• indigo15 says:

I’m hope “Revolution” and “Grimm” return strong. I wonder, though, why NBC would put two of their few hit shows on hiatus for 3-4 months. It makes no sense. Most shows that go on extended hiatuses normally see sizeable drops upon their returns. I guess TV execs haven’t noticed that pattern yet. :/

• It’s because they are both shows that premiered way too early at fall season (Grimm premiered in August!) and so they need bigger hiatuses not too run out of fresh episodes too quickly. Same thing happens with Glee, it premieres soon every year and has tons of hiatuses through the season. That’s also the reason why The CW’s shows all premiered only in October last year, so they could have shorter hiatuses. :)

• Magically Suspicious says:

I agree….I’m not convinced I’ll try to keep up with either show when they return, even though I watched them previously. The long hiatus really does kill a show’s momentum.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Ah, I watched Ringer back in November on Netflix. LOVED IT. What a shame!

• mia says:

Agreed. It also killed Hellcats a few years ago. If they hadn’t taken that forver long break midseason, the show would probably still be on.
        Taking hiatuses for new shows is a death sentence.

• casgirl3 says:

I have to agree. I followed Touch, Body of Proof, Smash regularly last year. But after the long break, I have to admit, I haven’t seen one new episode of Touch or Smash and only make a point of watch Body of Proof since I knew it was revamped. During their long break, I got hooked on other shows. Maybe my memory isn’t the best, or I’m fickle, but these long breaks just are not good.

On another note, I did enjoy the new Body of Proof and will give it a shot again next week.

17. Elyse says:

Cult is waiting on my DVR so i can watch it later today. unfortunately i don’t think i’ll bother now seeing those numbers. hopefully this means the CW might pick up Carrie Diaries for another season :)

• MaryAnn says:

Watch it anyway. It struck me as worth the time even if we only get to see this season. But I am trying to be optimistic in the face of all this. The low numbers up chances of renewal for “Beauty and the Beast.

• Ana says:

Same here. I just deleted it off my Dvr. I’m not getting invested in another show that’s going to be cancelled. I still can’t believe Emily Owens is gone.

• Jo says:

Agreed! Emily Owens had good enough numbers?? And this show takes it’s time slot and completely bombs !! Wow, the people at Emily Owens show must be fuming…..I’m deleting it off my pvr as well, not even giving it a chance!

18. Gillian says:

I’m not watching any new CW shows in the hopes that my viewership of Hart Of Dixie can get it renewed. TVD & Arrow are already renewed which leaves HOD my only CW fave still on the fence. Please renew HOD, CW! As for Smash, it is not as good as it once was. After last season’s incredible finale, I had hoped this year would continue the momentum but no. New characters aren’t likeable and the Derek/Karen chemistry is wasted on the lame love interest they seem to be pushing Karen towards.

• MaryAnn says:

Your viewing patterns don’t count unless you are a Nielsen household. The rest of us can’t vote. It’s like they chose a committee to represent all of us.

• Elyse says:

which is exactly why i don’t bother watching a lot of TV live. i have 3 shows i watch live each week and thats it. i hope the Nielsen viewers have good taste!

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

DVR recordings and watching it on Hulu or the channel’s website doesn’t count in THAT night’s viewership, but they do contribute to the +7 days ratings now. :P

• LauraLee says:

Agree about the incredible Derek/Karen chemistry. The cast is great but Katharine McPhee is a star.

19. wrstlgirl says:

How are these ratings for Smash in comparison to the newbie Do No Harm which only got two outings? Just curious :-)

• Rob says:

Doesn’t matter. Do No Harm wasn’t brought to you by Steven Spielberg. Follow the money. :)

• wrstlgirl says:

I asked the question because I am curious. Clearly it doesn’t matter because DNH is gone. Take your rudeness elsewhere.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Numbers on DNH – First episode on Jan 31 – 3.1m viewers, 0.9 18-49 demo.

Second episode of DNH on Feb 7 – 2.0m viewers, 0.7 demo.

Comparison to Smash – last night, 3.3m viewers, 0.9 demo ; Feb 5th premiere – 4.5m/1.1 demo
          Smash is doing a bit better than DNH thus far, but it is just a matter of time now. The second episode of Smash had equal numbers to first episode of DNH. I’d be willing to bet that next week’s episode of Smash will get approx. 2.3m viewers, 0.8 demo [about what the second episode of DNH received.] NBC is having a very bad month – Smash, DNH, Up All Night… Hannibal may be next.
          At this point, the NBC schedule is almost like a burning building – you gotta get in, grab and save as much as you can, and then make a run for the door. NBC *must* get Voice and Revolution back on the schedule as fast as possible, hope those shows can lift shows like Go On back up in the ratings, and then build around a few more shows like Chicago Fire, Parks, SVU, Grimm and then hope the new NBC list of pilots contain some break-out shows in May. That’s the best anyone can hope for at this point – the building [the NBC schedule] is pretty much going to burn down by May, save what you can.

20. LOL at Body of Proof. And people laughed at Private Practice which was getting these rating by the end after it was shunned with double episodes and wed episodes.

21. MaryAnn says:

I absolutely loved “Cult”. It just takes paying close attention. To me, it is far better than “The Following.” And it is extremely well done. I honestly don’t understand why people are not giving it a chance. I like it far more than “The Following.” It is intriguing and a mystery to follow and solve, more like something you would normally see on cable. I would encourage anyone who was even vaguely intrigued by the previews to check it out.

• tiak says:

I could not agree with you more! I believe that The Following is garbage, and Cult should not even be compared. Cult is a great show and everyone should take the time and check it out!

22. Rob says:

Smash irritates me because it could have been such a good show if they didn’t go off track. But now, with a 0.9, it’s the How To guide for how to screw up your show and lose all your money that you invested in it brought to you by Josh Safran.

23. tamara says:

It doesn’t help Smash that the week after it premieres, it gets bumped for the state of the union address. First you premiere the show online, weeks before it actually airs on tv where the ratings count only, then you change the day to which it airs, then it gets bumped in the second week due to The State of Union address. This is the reason no one is watching, no one knows when it is actually on anymore…

• Vi says:

You are totally right. If it wasn’t for my DVR, I would miss some episodes, the way they move them around, or pull them for something else. Considering how bad NBC is doing in the overall ratings, you would think they would learn not to pull shows that are doing well or move them to a different night where other shows already rule. I try to follow shows to other nights but not if they stick it on a night where there is an established audience for other well watched shows. They are bound to lose a portion of their audience

24. Shari says:

but what about Hart of Dixie?

25. ollie says:

ouch for cult, guess I shouldnt get too into it bc its proable going to get cancelled. hopefully hart of dixie and raising hope #s are up when they get them. but why oh why did the writers do that to zade uhh!!

26. Alex says:

Cult is a stinker. It deserved the awful numbers it got.

27. Mike says:

Hopefully NBC leaves Snash on the air until at least te Voice returns, I don’t think it will get renewed, but its numbers will improve, and its lead in is doing it no favors.

28. Babybop says:

Thought about watching Cult until I heard it was really confusing. Sad about Raising Hope ticking down. Why don’t more people watch it?

29. Mike says:

Am I that thinks it is amazing that NCIS get 21 million and only receives a 3.5 rating, yet The Walking Dead gets 11 million and achieves a 5.6. It shows that NCIS Skews old, if its audience was younger, NCIS would certainly be the highest rated show on TV.

30. Jade says:

I just watched Cult and thought it was pretty bad, and I watch a lot of CW series. This just means that there won’t be another series that would have to vie for a renewal over Hart of Dixie or BATB and I’m ok with that!

31. Jake says:

I love Body of Proof. Two of the best actresses on TV, Jeri Ryan and Dana Delany. Also, how many NCIS spin offs do we need? Next they will have NCIS..MARS..

32. Eric says:

Poor SMASH. It is having an awesome 2nd season and its a shame its fans from the 1st season havent followed it. Here goes another great tv show to the tv show graveyard.

• dan says:

It has aired twice this season (three total episodes) and it is far from awesome. Better than last year? Yes. Awesome? No way. If so, the ratings this week would’ve gone up due to people watching after all the positive reviews and word of mouth from the premiere two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the reviews of the revamped show were mediocre (I thought the first hour of the premiere was good, the second was ok, and last night’s third episode was boring and predictable). Apparently episode four is better, but it may be too late to get the audience back. The show is definitely better and the production values are top notch, but the writing is still inconsistent. I hope NBC shows all the second season (maybe it’ll do better as a summer series where expectations are lower), but there is no way it’ll get a third season.

33. Jared says:

I probably watch more shows on the CW than any other network (Carrie Diaries,90210,HoD,Arrow,BATB,TVD)but Cult was just really bad. Unfortunately its hard not to compare it to the far better version which is The Following. hopefully by Cult tanking means better news for my CW bubble shows

34. MelindaB says:

I usually will try creepy or spooky shows, or shows with a mystery to follow, but I started watching my recording of “Cult” last night and was just confused. It felt like I was starting a show from the second episode and had missed something. True, I was tired and had just finished watching “The Walking Dead,” so I will try it again from the beginning and try to follow along better.

35. leah says:

LOVED last night’s Raising Hope!!

36. Steven says:

I tried explaining to my wife why Smash sucking this year feels so much more offensive than Smash sucking did last year did. Last year, it was so over-the-top bad with rapid-fire embarrassing moments throughout each episode that it felt like we were in on the joke. This year, it feels like they’re trying to convince us that it doesn’t suck, laughing at us instead of with us, and that’s much more offensive.

37. Tran says:

Really hope that the NCIS: L.A. spinoff should definitely get picked up as a series for CBS soon and probably placed it in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot which is a good idea and if Smash gets canceled, NBC better renewed Parenthood for a fifth season sooner rather than later and hope that they should give the series a 22 episode run just like it did in Season Two.

38. Ana says:

I think its a pretty well known fact.that CBS skews older and male. And that’s a very consistent, loyal demo to have. Their dramas are mostly procedurals with male leads. The only female led show, Good Wife, has abysmal ratings. CBS has a formula that works so kudos to them. Smash is dead. I honestly think that casting McPhee in that role was a huge mistake. She’s pretty and talented but something gets list in the translation. She’s not likeable. And that director is such a slimeball that you can’t help but cringe whenever he comes on. Other than that I really think that this retooling is better than the wreck they had last season. But it started too late in the season with horrible lead one. Tuesday is the worst day for anything other than CBS. I’m actually surprised Bachelor did as well as it did against NCIS:LA. Haven’t caught up with BoP yet but did they really have he same plot as Castle? That alone is annoying and shows a lack of creativity. But we’ll see. I liked the show last season and was looking forward to its return. Although once again, ABC blew it. Knowing that Private Practice would be cancelled, they should have aired that in the spring and move BoP to the fall when there’s a bigger viewership. And, did anyone think Cult had a chance after The Following aired?

39. PutAForkInIt says:

Smash is trash.
    Not sure how it even got a 2nd season when MORE WORTHY frosh shows got the ax.
    Time to cancel it.

40. kristina says:

How would smash get canceled if the president of NBC loves this show way too much and has invested too much into it. I personally like the show and hope it at least stays on the air to run all episodes. For some reason NBC and CW just don’t have that many hit shows anymore. You can look at other shows that have done bad and have still put on more seasons, I am not giving up on this show.

41. Tina says:

I can’t help but be glad cult bombed! I really want BatB to be renewed so one less show to fight off for a spot in the 2013- 2014 line up!

42. mandy says:

I think Cult doing poorly is a really good thing for Hart Of Dixie. It is one of the stronger rated shows on the network after the all the new shows flopped. Ausiello even updated it to a safe bet on the score card… So woohooo more Wade!!!!

43. Em says:

I’m torn about the fate of Go On because I love Matthew Perry and want him to finally have a new show that makes it past season one, but at the same time Go On is pretty average and I feel like he could find something better, preferrably a drama and preferrably on cable.

44. Kim says:

NBC ran a basketball game here in Wilmington, NC. Couldn’t watch Smash until it hit On Demand today. Not sure if ratings numbers are fair if networks don’t air entire blocks of programming for other events.

45. Jim says:

It’s sad how many people watch the mindless procedural trash on CBS. There are a lot of stupid people in this country and it’s scary.

• King says:

Stupid people? You mean narrow-minded, judgemental and clueless person like you? Please don’t act like you are above everybody else because you are not.

46. Tracy says:

They should have left SMASH on Mondays! Though I also think Neilson is highly over-rated! I They don’t count DVR viewings or online viewings which means they miss a lot of viewers! Like me, I watch on Roku which means I can’t watch it until tonight but I will still watch! Also, it might help if sites like TVLine didn’t keep bashing SMASH for their ratings because in doing so you are encouraging people not to watch which is NOT helpful!

47. Doug says:

Smash needs a Dramaturg.

48. What’s sad is when shows like trashy cable reality and crappy Bachelor get better ratings. Smash and Go On aren’t the best shows on TV but they are miles above the other trash most of America is watching. Smash has markedly improved this season – very sad, a little too late. That and the silly antiquated ratings system MUST CHANGE.

49. George says:

People seem to be forgetting that Cult was shown online before last night., which to me would explain lower then normal ratings. I would wait until next week or the week after before jumping the gun on this show. I watched it last night and LOVED it. Thank god its not another medical show, cop show, zombie/vampire show, lame love triangle show. Different is GOOD!

50. Oakleigh says:

Look at what Cult is paired with – I don’t see how it can work on Tuesday. It needs a like show to be paired with otherwise it’s going to flounder.