ABC Pilot News: Paget Brewster Is Spy's Crazy Ex

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Paget Brewster Joins Spy Comedy PilotPaget Brewster is continuing her transition from the dark, dark Criminal Minds to far lighter fare, this time with a co-starring role on ABC’s Spy pilot.

The single-camera comedy, based on the UK series, stars Rob Corddry as Tim, a well-intentioned father of a highly intelligent and verbal son (Mockingbird Lane’s Mason Cook) who inadvertently takes a job at the Secret Service in order to prove himself a worthy dad.

Per our sister site Deadline, Brewster will play Tim’s neurotic ex-wife Erica, who is no stranger to the therapist’s couch.

RELATED | Get the Complete Rundown on ABC’s Comedy and Drama Pilots, and Who’s in Them

Just last month, Brewster booked a guest-starring role on ABC’s Modern Family, as a new girlfriend of Benjamin Bratt’s Javier.

Comments (29)

• Life without poor Paget Brewster on Criminal Minds. Don’t know if new cast member Jeanne Tripplehorn is still a better replacement than Brewster.

Comment by Tran – February 20, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still waiting to see *something* in Alex Blake, too. I had such high hopes for her character, a la Jo in CSI:NY. But… there’s not much about her :(

Comment by Barbie Furtado – February 20, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one thought she would be a better replacement than Paget, they just wanted her to be acceptable. So far she’s OK but I agree with you guys that she hasn’t really added much.

Comment by Jackson – February 20, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you know, everyone complained about Paget too–at first. It takes a while for the new kid to develop a 3d persona. It just stands out next to all the characters that are all well-known and have back stories and interconnections.

Comment by Lu – February 20, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the original, and if they can manage to keep this version funny and not “americanize” it into being unrecognizable, I will watch.

Comment by shamangrrl – February 20, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this is going to rest on who they cast as the examiner!

Comment by emrising – February 21, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Matt, since this is with ABC and CM is half owned by ABC, do you think they might allow her to guess star on CM? Then again, what do you think are the chances of this making it as a show?

Comment by The Rookie – February 20, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always loved her face and acting, but could just never take her seriously with that name….

Comment by Strepsi – February 20, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news when this will get started shooting or airing?

Comment by meggo – February 20, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let this show get picked up and be good. I really miss Paget on my TV!

Comment by JJ – February 20, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^This…except please don’t let it interfere with her work on The Thrilling Adventure Hour!

Comment by Aimee – February 20, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! Yes, this! :-)

Comment by LDSK – February 20, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Potentially great news…I’ll take it! Though, she got cast in a Pilot last year that wasn’t picked up so I’ll try not to get too excited just yet. *fingers crossed*

Comment by LDSK – February 20, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look at those beautiful eyes. How could you not want those back on your TV!!

Comment by Dav – February 20, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never saw the UK series and don’t know anything about the show but if Paget is in it I will definately watch!!!

Comment by Brad – February 20, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But will she reprise her role as Prentiss any time soon…

Comment by Saint Alicia – February 20, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, per Rich Dunkle, she’ll eventually show up with Morgans baby. ;-)

Comment by Jules – February 20, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news ever lover so much!!1

Comment by kenya – February 20, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this gets picked up. Love me some funny Paget Brewster!

Comment by Loki – February 20, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh…conflicted. But since chances of her returning to CM in its 9th season, even if she’s not cast on anything, else are slim, I will root for her new show to succeed. Cant wait until her Modern Family ep airs. I would probably watch her on anything at this point but I miss Emily Prentiss. Maybe CM can make up for her absebpnce by at least mentioning her in context with some sort of romantic entanglement with Morgan, :-).THAT would make me happy.

Comment by Jules – February 20, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just started watching the UK version since it’s currently being broadcasted in the Netherlands and it’s pretty funny.

Must say I don’t understand why an American remake is being made. Though I don’t understand why most (successful) European films/series need to be remade for the US market. What’s the deal by the way with Americans and subtitles? I grew up with subtitles, so I don’t understand why some countries seem to almost hate them (same goes for a lot of European countries).

Comment by Michelle – February 21, 2013 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be fantastic if this gets picked up. Paget is hilarious and I can’t wait to see her do comedy again. (Oh, and I agree with the poster who doesn’t want her to affect her time on TAH. I need my Sadie Doyle fix!)

Comment by Decker – February 21, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Paget! I really hope this gets picked up.

Comment by John – February 21, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love paget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is great news!!!!!!!!!! but i’m still hoping for her comeback on criminal minds, it’s not the same without her

Comment by emily prentiss fan – February 23, 2013 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved paget on Criminal Minds i didnt connect with the girl before her and im not crazy about this new girl. I miss paget on the show and i feel the show is missing something without her

Comment by gabby – March 5, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paget is loved.
    Although it is pleased with her new challenge
    A criminal mind requires her.
    I want you to return now in the end of a season.
    Because it is a family’s member.

Comment by yasu – March 17, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to see her return to comedy (Joey’s girlfriend stolen by Chandler). She was always funnier than dark. She’s worked in a lot of voice-work on cartoons, and in some funny stuff. Can’t blame her for wanting to stretch some acting legs . . . on Criminal Minds, all you have to do is scowl a lot and mumble. Her performance on Modern Family was hilarious!

Comment by Jeff Munroe – April 11, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post