New Girl, Mindy Get Plum Showcase After Idol

NewGirl_MindyProject_300Jess and Mindy have both scored a hot date with Ryan Seacrest.

Fox has announced that fresh episodes of New Girl and The Mindy Project will get a plum, one-night-only showcase — airing after American Idol — on Thursday, April 4, during the 9 o’clock hour.

Versus their season openers, New Girl at last tally was down about 18 percent in both total audience and in the demo rating, while Mindy has fallen more than 33 percent.

RELATED | New Girl Casts Justified Emmy Winner Margo Martindale as Nick’s Mom

The New Girl episode, “Date Night,” finds Jess and Nick angling to break out of “relationship limbo” by going on a proper first date. Any guesses how Schmidt and Winston will react when they get wind of what’s afoot?

PHOTOS | Mindy Project Hot Shots: Seth Rogen ‘Bears’ All to Mindy — in Bed!

Then, on The Mindy Project, the titular birthday girl has little to celebrate when her personal and professional worlds collide. Meanwhile, Jeremy and Danny fight over Kelen Coleman of HBO’s Newsroom.

1. k. says:

Wow. A proper date for Nick and Jess? Schmidt and Winston interfering? this episode will be awesome!

• taliesin says:

Unfortunately, as tvline already informed us, Odette Annable will be playing Nick’s love interest in the very near future; in a possibly recurring role. So I don’t think the Nick/Jess romance will be going too far this season; but there’s always next season. :)

2. Julie says:

I really hope this gives The Mindy Project a boost. I think the show has really started to come into its own, and it’s my favorite new comedy of the season. It’s just a shame that it hasn’t done better in ratings.

3. Lalala says:

What about Glee??

• There are only so many episodes of Glee a season. Maybe New Girl and Mindy will get people to try or retry their shows rather than auto change the channel away from glee. Spoken as a Glee fan but the ratings aren’t great right now and Fox needs to try everything.

• Stacey says:

The scheduled Glee was a repeat. So they are just putting new episodes of comedies for one week. Test the slot. And try to keep the 9 p.m. rating from going too low. I am not sure it will work. I can’t see people wanting comedy after Idol results…which is already a lower rated night.

4. Shuayb says:

New Girl is still ok, has some funny episodes. The Mindy Project is borderline dumb. This weeks episode was SO stupid. How can someone who is supposed to be so brilliant at comedy write such lame gags. Also the writing is so inconsistent. A few weeks ago they stole back the midwives patients and now it seems the midwives have their patients back. Nothing, not even putting it post Idols is going to draw much people because most people will be watching Grey’s or Person of Interest.
    That whole cab video was ridiculous. If I was the taxi driver I would just shot her.

5. Choco says:

Mindy’s show has improved but I’m afraid that most people might have already written it off. New Girl would really benefit from the bigger lead in.

6. Denver Military Dad says:

New Girl and Mindy are both very well written, fast paced, edgy comedies. Keep up people. Kudos to Fox leadership for going the direction they went this year aka New Tuesday shows. For younger people like myself ( read: I don’t watch CBS) it’s good to see Fox being the maverick network it once claimed to be. Lets pray for a good lineup of new fall shows! Would LOVE to see Fox bring out a Homeland type / 24 meets Zero Dark Thirty type gritty intense drama for Sunday nights! Or heck even revive 24 or Xfiles with an Arab Spring twist. Who’s with me???

7. I’m happy Fox see’s the promise in The Mindy Project…it really is pretty good. I imagine at this point they’ll end up renewing it for a second (albeit shorter) season.

8. Kristina says:

Would love for New Girl’s numbers to get a boost…such a funny show!

9. Julia says:

Flop idea. The normal demo of both shows are not home on Thursday night’s.
    If there’s a ratings boost, it’ll be because people left their television on after Idol

10. Angie says:

Awesome, news! I love both of these shows and hope they survive for another season. This awkward comedy stuff is fantastic. It’s one of the reasons I love Big Bang so much, too.