Pilot News: Glee's Vanessa Lengies to Shake Things Up in ABC's Mixology

VLengies_300ABC is adding some Sugar to its Mixology.

Glee‘s Vanessa Lengies has been cast as a lead in the Alphabet Net’s comedy pilot, which is set in a sexy Manhattan bar, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Your Complete 2013 Pilot Guide: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s In Them

The high-concept, single-camera project follows five single guys and five single girls as they look for love over the course of an evening. Lengies will play Kacey, a personal trainer by day/waitress by night who has an incredibly upbeat outlook on life.

In addition, Adam Campbell (TouchWedding Band) and Craig Frank (Up All NightThe Lizzie Bennet Diaries web series) have been cast as two of the other romance seekers. Campbell’s Ron is an Internet wunderkind in debt following the demise of his startup, and Frank’s Cal is a hot, dumb hunk of masculinity.

In addition to playing Glee‘s self-diagnosed say-anything gal, Lengies’ TV credits include HawthoRNe, Castle and Rules of Engagement.

1. a says:

I’ll miss her on Glee, but she’ll be much better utilized here.

2. rod says:

She is amazingly funny and so underused on glee, good for her

3. jess says:

I’m so happy for her. She can leave a show, Glee, who never really knew how to use her character. I hope the pilot gets picked up. Moving on up! Go Nessa!

4. Ana says:

I hope this works out for her. She is very talented and not appreciated enough in Glee.

5. Baine says:

So, so happy. Now she can be on a show that will actually use her talents. Glee sucks so bad.

6. scooby says:

Is it just me or does she look like she could be Emily VanCamp’s sister? Never noticed til now. I just thought she looked familiar.

7. Jen says:

So happy for her. I’m glad she will get a chance to show off her tremendous talent.

8. Andy says:

“The high-concept, single-camera project follows five single guys and five single girls as they look for love over the course of an evening.” I’m a little confused. This doesn’t mean that the entire show, and following episodes if it gets picked up, will take place over the course of a single evening, does it?

9. monkeyrat says:

Vanessa Lengies will always be our Brittana love child.. We support you little lengies!

10. Kalee says:

Gah! I hope for the best and although Sugar has been gone in like every other episode, I’ll miss her scene-stealing ways.

11. Linderella says:

Hope this gets picked up. She is terribly underutilized on Glee. Loved her on American Dreams.

12. Motta says:

I’m not trying to be mean or racist but it’s getting hard to find an american on tv and the movies. It’s not that they are bad actors, the problem is that american actors are not getting hired because of an influx of foreign actors ( mainly white actors from Canada and Europe).
    I wish Vanessa good luck, her role on Glee was dumb.

13. murley says:

i love sugar! but there isn’t nearly enough of her. while i would rather glee just have more sugar i will have to check this out. i wasn’t familiar with her before glee but she made a fan out of me.

14. Robin says:

And American Dreams…she was on that first! (I miss that show so…)

15. monica says:

Her role on glee was sorta dumb S3 in order to get the Beth story. S4 she is always MIA. So good for her to get a lead role and not just a guest staring role.

16. tp says:

I loved her in Stick It!

17. Billy W says:

Only allowed if the restaurant she waitresses at is Shenanigans! Long live Waiting!

18. Eli says:

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
    This girl deserves so much more than that stupid stupid role on Glee. Thank you ABC.

19. Elyse says:

but… she looks like shes 12…

20. Dizzle says:

I like her but I don’t see this show getting past the pilot stage. “High concept” doesn’t generally go over well with comedies, at least not without a lot of retooling… I remember Jake In Progress being sold as a “high concept” romantic comedy, originally covering the real-time span of John Stamos’ character’s date with Madchen Amick in half-hour chunks over the first 13 episodes. This was quickly abandoned in favour of a more standard approach when it was picked up to series.

21. dude says:

Not surprised. It’s such a shame to see her SO underused on Glee when she is such a talent. I thought they’d find something for her this year but she’s lucky if she’s even in the episodes.

22. Jared says:

I don’t know why Glee hasn’t given her a bigger part on the show because Vanessa is amazing! I’ve loved her since American Dreams..lol

• RichieS says:

Well..it could be because Glee miscast her because she doesn’t sing on a par with her castmates. Actually one could say her major talent is only on display when she is not facing the camera.

• Britt says:

If singing on par is a requirement for being on Glee then Heather and Harry don’t deserve to be there either. They didn’t miscast her. They just created a new character they had no idea what to do with, like most of the newer characters.

I love Vanessa as an actress and I really hope this gets picked up. She deserves so much better.

• Jordan says:

Heather and Harry actually sing really well! No, they aren’t as good of singers as Lea, Naya or Darren but they still can hold their own. To be honest, she is one character that sort of “got lost” in the mix of the graduating and new class. However, you never know if they had more planned for her but had to change things seeing as she was filming this pilot, which is the reason she is MIA some times. Regardless, I think they use her well in Glee. Can’t have too many story lines going. Besides look at Heather. Her character was only known for one liners and then had solos and a real story line. In this business it is all about patience. Don’t get mad at Glee for that.