Idology: The Rise of American Idol's Season 12 Women -- But Is It Too Much Too Soon?

American Idol wants a female winner for Season 12 — or at least that was the loud and clear message of Ryan Seacrest’s voiceovers during the ladies-only portion of Hollywood Week. Still, with the pimping of Angela Miller, Candice Glover and Janelle Arthur starting so early in the season, could the strategy backfire and give rise to another dudely successor to Phillip Phillips, Scotty McCreery and Lee DeWyze?

On this week’s Idology, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I discuss this conundrum for executive producer Nigel Lythgoe and his cohorts, while also dissecting some peculiar behavior by the Season 12 judges during the women’s group rounds. Plus, Melinda finally finds an Idol conspiracy theory she can support, I explain why I can relate to the super-bizarre Zoanette Johnson (but only when I’m in the shower), and we identify a couple of under-the-radar women with a chance at the full “This Is My Now” experience.

So press play below for the complete Idology extravaganza, and for all my Idol news, interviews, photo galleries and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. zach says:

I want to see a picture of Jason Averett, the star of Idology.

2. michelle says:

YESSSSS!!!!!! THISSSSSS! We want a cameo of Jason! I love you Jason!

• Amy says:

re: Jason cameo..I third that!!! Credit where it’s due…the editing is the 3rd star of Idology. :)
      I look forward to all the clips interjected, as much as Michael & Melinda’s banter ..brilliant.

3. Timmah says:

Good recap, though I think Shubha and Juliana should have gotten a mention as well.

As for the girl who sang the Jessie J song, it sounded kinda warbly to me.

4. -On Nigel’s twitter he said that there are about 10 great girls and 3 great guys, yet when we get down to the Top 10 then that means that 5 great girls are going because 2 just semi-ok to decent guys get to stay because it has to be equal gender. Why? I never found this answer in all the years. I feel like 1 time they did a mix of just the best Top 10 or 12 rather than an equal number, but I can’t remember the year, nor do I remember why they got rid of it. It doesn’t seem fair, and it’s one of the biggest flaws of this show.
    -All you have to do is remember Kateyln Epperly getting cut and someone like Tim Urban staying in Season 9 because a certain number of guys had to make live shows.

5. Timmah says:

I’m fairly certain the first three seasons, and perhaps longer, they did not segregate the boys and girls. I distinctly recall in Clay Aiken’s season that he had to compete against both Ruben and Kim Locke in his semifinal group. He lost to them both which is why they had to bring him back for the wild card round. I really think they should go back to this mixed format.

• Timmah says:

That was meant as a reply to the above.

• Timmah says:

Found the answer on wikipedia: “Because of the highly unbalanced finals in Season 3 where female contestants formed the clear majority (8 to 4) of the Final 12, rules for the semifinals were changed so as to give an equal number of male and female finalists. ”

Ironic, huh?

• Interesting, and I get it, but if the best 12 consist of 8 girls and 4 guys then that’s the way it is. If it so happens that 6 guys and 6 girls are the Final 12 then fantastic, but isn’t having the best better than having just a balanced gender Top 12. I will never understand.

• Name That Tune says:

Ah, season 3 – which produced no males in the top 4 & gave us both Fantasia & Jennifer Hudson. Will we see anything close to that again?

6. Keith says:

It should be the best singers- if it is 10 girls and 2 guys so be it

• Trisha says:

It should the best singers whether male or female! I also have a question, why are they flogging us with this Zonette? I’m sure she is a good person but she has slipped her rails! I mean the girl is certifiable. Why are they keeping her and sending home others who can actually sing. Another thing when has Idol ever put through anyone that forgot the words?? Now not only do they not bother to learn them they write them on body parts and read them. WOW. Wheat the—— is going on

• Dayrah says:

Seriously! How could they keep anyone who didn’t know their lyrics AND was performing to their arms the whole time?

• dj says:

It was unbelievable watching so many girls–not just a couple–writing on not only their hands, but their entire arms, and still getting the lyrics wrong. But am I crazy, or did Nicki last week with the boys not ask one of them who forgot his lyrics, “Why didn’t you write them on your hand?”? I think the girls got the idea it was ok from that, and it is so unprofessional and NOT ok.

• Terry says:

Oh ya, I forgot about that. I bet they put in a new rule that you can’t write lyrics on your hands, arms, etc. I mean if they’re going to allow that, why not just let the kids carry a piece of paper on stage with the words on it to sing off. Part of being an entertainer is learning lyrics so you can perform on stage and connect with the audience without having to stare at a piece of paper. I think nothing alienates an audience more than someone reading off a page instead of interacting with them. They may as well start learning that now, it’s an important skill to master.

• Name That Tune says:

There is a slight difference. The guys forgot their lyrics but managed to ad lib a few good notes. Something that Mariah, Keith & Nikki accepted as part of live performances . If you can fake it, the audience may not notice. But writing the lyrics on your hands &arms then blatantly reading them as you sing is disrespectful & Nikki -the direct one called them on it.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I do have some sympathy for them though in that being tossed into a random group in the evening and having to learn lyrics to a new song and arrangement, etc. under high stress and almost zero sleep, I mean some of them get like 40 minutes of sleep and then have to perform a song they maybe never knew a lyric to 9 hours before.

It’s one thing if you are giving a concert and are staring into your hands or go into an audition that you had plenty of time to prepare for starting at your hand.

I know why they do it because this is what Idol is and it helps make sure they get cleaner shows later on, but just thinking in general I do have a lot of sympathy for getting desperate and writing on your hand and arm, etc.

• rwfblog says:

I would agree that everything should be based on talent, not plumbing. The problem is the voting system that allows unlimited voting. It’s a farce, and the Idol folks compensate in a backwards way. I.e. they do not allow the 200 votes each of teeny-bopper girls for cute guys to eliminate the female contestants early.

• dj says:

I agree that they should change the voting system, but I think the reason they don’t is because they like to say things like “over 50 million votes” to make the show sound important.

• deedee says:

Yes, for sure. They love that every year they can announce how much the numbers climb – especially in the finale. How the numbers climb is beyond me, given the decline in viewership. Also, maybe they’re afraid to lose the AT&T sponsorship by tampering with the voting system.
          To be honest, I don’t really mind the power-voting frenzy. It means there’s still some passion for the show out there … unless, of course, the show lies about the numbers. But I don’t think that’s the case.

• Tom22 says:

I think an interesting Improvement(not quite solution, but improvement) would be to have the first 3 votes per contestant from a phone number count as 20 votes per call/text, the next 5 votes for a given contestant (votes 3-8) count for 4 votes a piece, and votes 3 to 100 count as only 1 vote a piece. They can stop counting after 100.or make it take 5 calls/texts to even equal one more vote

That would let the rabid fans get excited and vote in a crazy way but not quite be so overwhelming statistically over people who figure voting 2 or 3 times (or even once) is a big statement.

By my example, first 3 calls = 60 points total, with 8 calls it would be up to 80 points , and with 100 votes the next 92 calls texts would get the total up to 172 points.. just a bit above twice the person who voted 3 times.

This system would still let you show some preference for other contestants that you didn’t like quite as much as your favorite by voting once and giving them 20 points or something.

Yes, someone with mutiple phones would have an easier time getting in more votes but that sort of fanatic can allready vote 1000s of times … the extremes would be reduced drastically even though they wouldn’t be eliminated entirely.

7. Teeny Bikini says:

Nigel is ruining it a bit with his heavy handed Machiavellian bs. He can pimp whoever he wants – the public’s gonna pick who they like. That’s how the show works. The girls were as good as the boys – whatever that means. I wasn’t blown away by star power by either sex though…. There were some solid voices. So let’s just see what happens.

• ejones says:

Its not how the show works, both SMc and PPh had won by their edit during the judge’s selection process i.e. they were pimped at that time by the producers. Neither was particularly strong during the live shows but that didn’t matter. This season the girls are being pimped.

• Name That Tune says:

However, Nigel can only set the tone. They are going to push a girl this year because it is an embarrassment to have cute white guys as winners every year. TPTB want to change the conversation. But, much like Haley Rinehart, the voters may not follow the plan. There are a few cute guys with just enough charisma to upset the apple cart.

• deedee says:

It doesn’t always work that way. In season 7, David Archuleta and Michael Johns were both pimped in a serious way, whereas David Cook was more or less cannon fodder. Then things suddenly changed, and I think it took the show (producers) by surprise. So, there’s always room for spontaneous takeover by an under-the-radar filler-contestant. That’s why I don’t take early pimping and predictions too seriously.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

There should be room for that, not sure there has been the last few seasons though. There sure as heck wasn’t two seasons ago when they tried their hardest to kill what could’ve been a great natural story arc for the season.

• Teeny Bikini says:

There are a lot of other factors that come into play – that have nothing to do with who’s being pimped. And sometime the pimping clearly does not work. Whatever. The show is more enjoyable when they dial it back a notch or fifty.

• MB says:

I totally disagree. Season 11 Joshua Ledet was the favorite. All those standing O’s. Nigel even admitted he was his favorite when he was eliminated. Season 10 it was Lauren Alaina that was the most loved and pimped. The producers and judges can pimp all they want but in the end people are going to vote for who they want.

8. James A says:

Cuttin it close Slezak! Good episode as always!

9. forwarddad says:

Not a fan of Angela. Can’t even tell you why. Something feels so fake .

• Trouty Mouth says:

She is giving off Colton Dixon vibes which is definitely a turn-off.

• Dayrah says:

I really liked her original song and performance and then when I read someone say on these forums that it was a religious song I was really turned off, too. I get what you mean by the Colton vibe. She does have a really good voice though.

• MB says:

There are quite a few contestants this year that want to go in the direction of gospel music. I know Josh Holiday said that is where his heart lies.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“I really liked her original song and performance and then when I read someone say on these forums that it was a religious song I was really turned off, too”.
          That is one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve ever read.
          Back in the 70s there was song called “Shannon”. A lot of people stopped liking the song when they found out it wasn’t about a woman – it was about a dog! If you listened to the lyrics you would know it was about a dog. If you liked Angela’s song you should have been able to figure out it was a gospel song.
          Good grief.

• dj says:

I think it should be about the talent, not whether the song is gospel or not, and not whether the singer is male or female. The most talented singer should win. But I don’t know if we will ever get there, because I think we never see some of the most talented because they don’t fit the mold of what the producers want for entertainment value.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

It didn’t sound like gospel singing though safe to say. To be honest I never even picked up that it was religious. Maybe you read into it either way equally.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Not that I was trying to imply that you were saying it was sung in a gospel style.

• Name That Tune says:

You know, the best performances come from artists who can make us feel what they are singing. She made me feel her. And she sang beautifully. If this were really a singing contest, that should be all that matters & we could accept the purity of the show”s winner. But you have to go back to Idol’s early years to recapture that. Kelly Clarkson’s win had so much innocence about it. I doubt we’ll see those days again.

• Trouty Mouth says:

I just don’t want to see another Colton “I’ve spoken to some atheists and I’ve said ‘look at my life and compare it with yours’ and they’ve started to see God” Dixon. One is way more than enough.

• deedee says:

Angela’s not for me, either. Too happy, too positive, too “up with people” or something. I guess I need a little genuine pain from my singers.

• Timmah says:

She’s very pageanty IMO.

• deedee says:

Good descriptor. Maybe that’s it – pageanty. On the agenda: win American Idol, … and world peace ;)

• Timmah says:

She actually reminds me of that girl Shannon from last season that everyone loved in the beginning. And like Shannon, I predict she will quickly fade.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

But was Shannon capable of writing her own music? And I don’t think she has as good of a voice either.

• Dayrah says:

She is miles ahead of Shannon

• Name That Tune says:

Ok here we go again. It’s the Pia Toscana criticism again. If you can’t fault the vocals, you discuss their looks & call them “pageantry”. God I hope they stay away from evening gowns this year. That will be the kiss of death for these girls.

• deedee says:

What do you mean? Pia had a good voice, but on the whole, she was distant, cold, and remote as a performer … at least for me. Voice is not the only factor in the success of a performer – this much we know by now. No?

• Timmah says:

It’s not the looks… it’s the “I wrote a song about puppies and rainbows and unicorns and world peace… hope you all like it” kind of vibe

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

But once again what is wrong with some of that too? I don’t mind either way or anything in between but it gets boring and potentially ever dreary if you really take it too the extreme and allow for the extreme opposite and nothing else. Does EVERYTHING have to be the far extreme of look at me I’m so cool and deep because I’m all dark and angsty and pretend to be depressed and not care. This means I’m both smart and different.
            But anyway to each their own. It would be boring if some people didn’t dislike the Angela vibe.

• Name That Tune says:

The word “pageantry” is not about the song. It’s about the person singing it. It’s saying that I don’t have to take you seriously because you belong in a beauty pageant not American Idol. Then we hit the live rounds and they dress them up in evening gowns. The girls lose any creditability as legitimate contenders. Go back to Pia’s season when we watched five girls another get eliminated before a single male. And the word used to describe them was “pageantry”.
            It’s difficult to take a criticism seriously if that’s the best you have to offer.

• deedee says:

An evening gown doesn’t break a serious singer, but it sure doesn’t help an already “pageanty” type.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I don’t mind it. Not replying to you directly but I’m sick of the hipster/grunge attitude these days that nothing is real or worthwhile unless it is depressing or angsty and dark. If something is violent and dark it is intelligent. If something is upbeat and happy it’s pablum. Whatever.
        Weren’t the late 80s kinda nice in that it was actually cool to be happy?

• Timothy says:

I thought I was the only one. Something off-putting that I can’t quite put my finger on.

• Jess says:

I really like her so far, but maybe people are unconsciously disliking her because they don’t like Miley Cyrus…they are seriously twinsies!

10. Gailer says:

I will never say I want a girl to win just for the sake of another girl winning. I hate when I read that about Idol

11. The group round was like Bizarro Idol. Every single girl I thought was the best in the group got sent home and the one that did the worst got to stay.

• Jess says:

They probably got rid of people they think would be competition for the girls they want to win; they usually try not to have contestants of a similar type make the finals or else they risk another Jennifer Hudson/Latoya/Fantasia deal.

12. Evan says:

Glad to see that someone else thought that Tenna Torres (who I refer as “Tin-a” for her tin ear) and Breanna Steer were atroche.

However, I must stand up for Zoanette. She’s so entertaining, if for all the wrong reasons. If she’d just plan things a little better, dare I say that she’d be one of the best?

• Evan says:

Also, can we appreciate how much fun Keith appears to be having as a judge? I love watching him groove along to the finalists.

• K2 says:

Evan, ITA! Keith is a country singer and he is singing along to whatever song the contestant is singing and he is having a BLAST!

• Dayrah says:

Yeah I didn’t care for her little ‘performance’ on her solo but I do think she can sing. She has the potential to sound really good if she wasn’t so all over the place. The combination of her horrible outfits and running around sounding out of breath all the time is not fun to watch or listen to. If she toned it down and just sang something pleasantly, she might have more fans. That being said, I would not be protest if we never saw her again.

• deedee says:

Totally agree – especially about Breanna Steer. She was in a whole different key than the band. I’m not even sure she was singing the same song as everyone else. It was one of the worst Hollywood violations in all 12 seasons. What were the judges hearing?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Not sure. But I really liked Breanna’s audtion (“I’m Goin’ Down”) in the few seconds we heard her sing.

• dee dee says:

No. She is a hot mess who needs to figure out who she is before she competes on a show like this. The closest I heard to her actually “singing” was doing some Fantasia-esque screeches during one round. She should not be in the final 20. Just like that Kev Saban or whatever her name was should never have gotten as far as she did. It’s like taking William Hung and putting him in your top 20. There’s a lot of ppl who tried out who i am sure are like, “Wha? Really? THEY were better than me?”

13. J. May says:

Props for the Bow-er-sox shoutout!

14. Dayrah says:

My mouth literally dropped open when they eliminated Brandy Neely. (excuse me, I mean when they ‘ended her journey”.) Does not compute.

15. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah many of the group cuts just made zero sense and every other group they were picking by exactly the opposite of what they just said the previous time and then there was the Randy nonsense about a certain song choice for the solos on Thursday. WHy the would cut three and save one and cut one and save three and how the American Chipmunks got saved in random fashion despite a horror show and something the only manageable singer in a group was the only one let go etc…. you know I missed the Nigel walking away from the table, maybe that does explain. Between that and more utter Randy BS still thinking it is two seasons ago does make one worried about this season after and yet…. and yet….

16. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

and yet….
    they seems to want to pimp Melinda and Angela and Candice and you know…. fine, whatever, good. About time they tried to support those who actually seem to have the most for once instead of cutting them down. So I have a feeling that even if they go diabolical again this season and while it may make for the odd horror here and there, in the end I have a feeling it might not be maddening this year because there seems to be 4 who appear to be really good and who appear to likely be safe from the show’s evil plots.
    Then again it is dangerous to call out the best this early and there could be a dark horse who will pop-up and shine like no other only to be quickly trampled down. Which would be very sad again BUT at least the ones being upheld should be at least reasonably in the running so maybe it wouldn’t seem quite so bad even if that were to happen.
    Of course we may still have the few remaining audience members block voting from some half-baked WGWG (not that a WGWG necessarily has to be half-baked to be fair) and it may all go south, but at least for once, maybe you won’t have to get mad at the whole show and production and it can just be down on the voters.

17. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah some great potential:
    Melinda
    Angela
    Candice
    Cristabel
    and also maybe:
    Janelle (although it would still mean either WGWG or country wins which doesn’t really change it up that much when it comes down to it, although if she does truly bring it best in the end then she does and it’s fair, but I wonder if someone else might not do better and yet get swamped by country vote)
    Kree
    Anyway yeah Melinda is impressive, she def has the vocals, she has the moves and stage presence too and yeah def has the look safe to say. And Angela that was damn impressive not much more needs to be said and when you write as well as sing that can help a lot. Candice def impressive. Not as universally sold on Janelle since she might end up going too country for me but her delicate solo there that was good so she is a good one. And although she disappeared on Thurs, Cristabel was pretty impressive the day before. And who knows Kree might have something too.

• Dayrah says:

ugh I really wish people would stop using that WGWG acronym. just saying.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

well some are just sick of average WGWG beating out some other amazing singers with ease. If they had all been truly amazing or a clear cut above yeah then using WGWG would be out of place and annoying but I don’t think it’s all that out of place when you look at the winners of so many recent singing shows (even on The Voice, although not WGWG it was still semi in that vein the first two seasons, not that the girl who won this season was my favorite though, not bad but I don’t quite now about the best either) and then look at some of the singers who had been in those competitions. When it literally seems like it takes almost a miracle for something else to happen and scales appear to be so heavily tipped I don’t know that’s that crazy to toss around the whole WGWG thing. That said just because someone is a WGWG doesn’t mean that they can’t be great or even arguably the best or one of the best of the season, even this season.

• Dayrah says:

I don’t like how people have to bring race into everything. Most people just vote for who they like, regardless of if they are white. It seems like people on here (TVLine) are always blaming the tween girls for skewing the votes but then they assume these girls are only voting for white people? In my experience, younger people are actually less likely to view race as a factor (in anything). Just my opinion. Not trying to start a fight or anything.
      Maybe I’m just not used to it because where I live, racism isn’t really an issue. I guess if you are exposed to it daily, you probably start to see it everywhere, even if it’s not really the case.

• deedee says:

I don’t think tween girls even watch the show.

• Timmah says:

It’s a common misconception that tween girls watch and vote. In reality, the power voters are moms and grandmas.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I think they said the voting is much heaver from certain regions of the country. I think they said the central and lower Midwest and the South vote like mad (at least as of the more recent seasons).

• Dayrah says:

Well there have to be some tweens that watch; it seems like the whole live audience is made up of them. At least the ones in the front.

• deedee says:

Live audiences for these shows are partly recruited and strategically placed within camera range to give off whatever impression the show wants to give. Obviously some tweens watch the show — mostly with their parents, I’m guessing. But I really don’t think it’s water-fountain talk at the middle school hallways of America. The majority of online forums chatting about Idol are filled with middle agers.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

You’re making way too much about the racial thing. People were complaining in similar fashion about the first two seasons of The Voice too.

• Dayrah says:

Um… you’re the one that brought up race in the first place saying you didn’t want another white guy to win.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

It just gets a bit boring when you see a Scotty McCreey winning by a landslide every season even on the seasons when they sure seemed to be middle of the pack at best. And I didn’t come up with GWG or WGWG and you see it all over the place so I’m hardly the only one. It’s not a racial thing as a just what happened for a decade in a row thing. Plenty of people using it have had every sex and race under the sun on various favorites lists, including white and guy.

Do you really think that nobody who is other than any one or some combo or all of country or at least countrified to some degree, a guy, from the southern half of the country is has ever been worthy or winning? You really think they were all easily the best by a landslide each and every single season??? I think only a single winner was born outside of the southern Midwest or the South, Lee, unless I’m forgetting someone. Not that many from those regions have not been fantastic though because they have.

It’s just a bit tiresome when it starts to feel like anyone but a certain type (in the most general sense) has a -3 spots monkey on their back and will have a crazy tough time to win no matter how amazing they might turn out to be. (It had almost started to seem The Voice was going to head that way after the first two seasons as well).

I’d just like it to feel like every sort and type of singer has an equal chance and voting or production won’t skew things.

• Name That Tune says:

People vote for who they find appealing. Usually that includes people who are easy on the eyes. Whether you want to accept that is up to you but a simple Google search will tell you that some people vote for the cutest guy on the show. You could Google P2 last year and find plenty of girls/women who were more interested in the color of his eyes than his singing ability. The show is called “American Idol”. Nikki has already reminded us this isn’t a singing competition-they are looking for a “star”, someone that people are passionate about. Someone that causes viewers who produce 90 million votes for a show with 17 or 18 million viewers. So sex appeal & hormones play a part in the attraction.

• Trouty Mouth says:

And yet in the past 5 seasons, there have only been two people of colour to make the final two of their seasons (Jessica Sanchez and David Archuleta).

18. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I still got a kick out of Zoanette. It was wacky but wacky good and musically entertaining in a way. Whether that will remain the case once it goes to the first live performance I don’t know at all but we’ll see. I think she does have some actual talent there even if a bit of a mad talent. We’ll see soon enough though.

• Timmah says:

I liked her too. At least she made an effort to stand out from all the cookie-cutter contestants.

• marie says:

I’ll second that. I’ve mentioned it here before; Zoanette entertained me during Hollywood Week (although her audition with the national anthem was just plain awful). I too am not sure whether she can actually sing; we won’t know that unless she makes the live shows (not sure either way whether she deserves to). All I know is, for whatever reason, I enjoyed her nutso solo performance Thursday night.

19. jenna says:

also, notice that brandy kneely (not sure the spelling is correct) was the only one from her group to learn the lyrics and keep it cool when everyone was panicking the night before. #unfair. also- u r right- what happened to that sailor girl??? is she not one of the top 40?

• deedee says:

Yeah, I was waiting for the sailor girl, too. They never showed her in Hollywood, and she’s not in the top 40. Maybe next year.

• Dayrah says:

They never showed Colton’s sister either – no audition, no Hollywood. Just a one second clip of her getting a golden ticket.

20. Vetle says:

I don’t get the “Colton vibe” from Angela and why that’s fake. What exactly turned people off Colton? Judges’ pimping? Sure, he kinda had an attitude on his last week, but he admited it. My impression of Colton was that he’s pretty self-aware, he wasn’t afraid to step out of the box (singing Gaga for example) and when he talked about his faith and his favorite worship song he almost started crying. I feel that’s pretty genuine. Thus far, I also feel that Angela is genuine, worship song or not. And this comes from an atheist (not that it matters). :p

• flutiefan says:

i 100% concur with everything you wrote! this atheist gal loves me some Colton, and i was impressed by Angela.

• dee dee says:

I’m not atheist, but a lot of christian rock music comes across as proselytizing and/or sanctimonious TO ME. To each his own, but that’s just how i feel. There’s a difference between writing a song that mentions God or faith and one that’s about appealing to teenagers so that they don’t mind hanging out at their church youth group. For example, Dave Matthews Band has lots of songs that mention God but I never feel like I’m being recruited. It’s the “look how cool christianity can be!” vibe that reeks of desperation to me. just saying..

21. M says:

Is it just me, or is Angela Miller giving some serious Cassadee Pope (from the voice) vibe? The first thing I thought when I saw and heard Angela was Cassadee. I have a feeling that they are going to pimp her soooo hard, just like Cassadee was.

22. noa says:

so Jason’s fav this year is Melinda? we’ve never disagreed before, and for now we’re on the same page. although Kree is pretty awesome as well. let’s see how this plays out…

23. Jake says:

CRIS-TA-BEL! CRIS-TA-BEL!
    Love her spunky personality and raspy voice. I think she’s too edgy (and old, by “Idol” standards) to win, and she hasn’t been pimped at all, but I would love to see her go all the way.

• Trouty Mouth says:

True, but then again, we got Elise Testone to 6th last year (although IMO she should have gone further). Anything is possible.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Well at least you are looking at that in the glass half-full way hah. But from the glass half-empty side of things, haha, how does she only make it to top 6?

24. Delon says:

What a futile effort by the producers. Unless a stunner of a girl with the sweetest personality and jaw dropping vocal ability comes along this voting public of tweens will keep on making mediocre guys winners. Have any of you seen a girl that falls into that category so far? I haven’t.

25. Terry says:

If Janelle makes it to the voting rounds, I think she has this is the bag.

• Timmah says:

I think it’s way too early to call a winner. They always hide some good ones from us. For example Jessica Sanchez wasn’t shown at all until Vegas.

26. jane says:

I like Janelle and Candice even if they are getting pimped. I never could understand why either were cut from previous seasons. They both have amazing voices and potential for actual careers.

27. Faze Craze says:

I share Slezak’s love for Sole and Mia. They are right up there with Michelle, Tameka and Tanya who ride the train, and ride it, with the Quad City DJs.

28. anaY says:

Please dont let Angela go out like Shannon did. OR else, I will truly believe that Idol audience doesn’t only HATE but DETEST over-achieving, pretty girls like Shannon and Brown (season 8?)

• deedee says:

Please. Maybe the audience senses something about these “over-achieving, pretty girls” that doesn’t particularly resonate with them. I don’t hate or “DETEST” pretty, over-achieving people, but if their art doesn’t speak to me, I don’t really care how pretty, or how over-achieving they are, I won’t buy what they’re selling. It really is as simple as that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I didn’t care for Shannon Magrane (I believe that was her name – wasn’t she Joe Magrane’s daughter?) because I didn’t care for her pageanty vocal. So far I’m not getting that vibe from Angela Miller, but we’ll see.

• teatime says:

We have already heard an original song from Angela. Plus we have heard her play the piano. That puts her in a very different category from the pretty girls who just stand there and sing.

• Trouty Mouth says:

I agree that Angela is in a different league to the Shannon Magranes and the Katie Stevenses of Idol, but if she starts putting a cross in the middle of her name and calling herself a “messenger”, all bets are off.

29. darcy's evil twin says:

Once again, a great Idology, and I’m glad Melinda agrees with me about Melinda Ademi (I think that was her name – she sang “Price Tag” and did a fine job on “Hit ‘em Up Style”). The girl has stage presence galore!
    I think Shubha Vedula (sp?) has a fine voice and tons of potential but she needs to shake it up a bit next week and step away from the pageant songs.

30. Kelly says:

Michael Slezak – just noticed that a full version of Kez Ban’s original song “Azure Sky” – written by Nick Masaracchia – is available for download on bandcamp. Did you see this already? If not, you’re welcome! It’s at Kezban dot bandcamp dot com. I don’t think she was a great fit for Idol, but she has mad talent.

31. Bob b bund says:

I love Cristabel, cristabel and Cristabel !!!!!

32. Name That Tune says:

So here’s what we know about the people who vote for American Idol.
    They are females, primarily from the Southeast (although there is a large block from the Northeast) with cell phones. In 2007 (the year the WGWG trend started), tthey averaged 38 text votes per person. Most (52%) are in the age group of 35-64.
    Only 2 winners have not been from the South -Jordin Sparks & Lee DeWyze.
    Last year a group of scientists from Cornell studied Twitter in order to predict the winner of Idol. And of course, the Twitter buzz had P2 winning. Twitter is a quick way of determining who women are passionate about.
    —–
    It may be a little early to get a feel from Twitter but that should give you a good idea of who is leading the race. However we can start eliminating potential winners simply by figuring out where they come from.

• deedee says:

Didn’t take scientists to figure out that P2 was going to win. Many of us Idol veterans called it after his first audition. Also, do you consider Kansas City Mo. the South? That’s where David Cook hales from. I always thought it was firmly mid west.
      There’s no obvious winner yet this season. The girls have more buzz, and Angela seems to be topping the buzz, but I’m not convinced she’s the one. Big possibility that perky-contestant-fatigue will set in with the viewers after a few voting rounds.

• teatime says:

Where exactly did you get your information about the age and gender of who is casting which votes?

• Name That Tune says:

It comes from Nielsen and is available for download. The same Nielsen thst tracks television ratings &feeds information to the advertising agencies for Coca Cola Ford AT&T &a few of the other major advertisers for Idol.

33. Name That Tune says:

No, the folks at Nielsen consider it a part of the South. Not in a direct way but there is a reference to a Southern influence.

Regardless, the most likely top 2 will be Jan elle Arthur & Jimmy Smith. Candace may make the top 4.

I think the judges love Angela, but she’s from Massachusetts so she’s toast. And you can already see the Southern females lining up against her.

34. Amy says:

Didn’t have time this week to Idol chat this week, but just wanted to get my two cents in on the girls..
    So far, between last week’s guy’s poll and this week’s, I’m in line with your majority votes here…this week, for me, was Angela, Candice, Kree, Melinda, then Janelle…probably in that order. Of all those…A.N.G.E.L.A. blew me away. The fact that THAT song
    that she sa-LAMMED outta the park was, (helloOo… whaT??!!)….ORIGINAL?! Really??! Yowza. She was a finished package in that one performance…let’s see how she holds up…one hit wonder (doubtful) or one to keep watching (likely)…girl can sing! But all those others were excellent too, and I’m looking forward to tonight! I love Kree as my early “dark horse”…who maybe will even show us tonight, she’s not a dark horse at all, but an early frontrunneer…she’s my favorite kind of powerful singer…one that transmits the emotion of the song, and takes me in…she did that last week…It always turns my “wow” to “love” when watching someone sing. I hope she continues to do well. Right now for some reason I’m seeing her like a Carly Smithson in placement…as in, deserves to go far, but a little overshadowed right now by the pimped “early stars of Season 12″, so will she make it to the end? Will be exciting to watch, I think.

And I was in agreement with your co-ed poll too….those girls at the top and Nick…he so far is my top guy…hoping he continues to shine. I do agree with someone’s post here from the other day…Phil Phillips was a deserved early frontrunner, who continued to do well, and deserved to win (he was my choice last year)…but he had something besides talent, I don’t see outright this year in any of the guys…charm and sexy, good looks. In fact, that’s been a factor for the past 5 years in all the guy frontrunners and winners. But it’s still early…more charm & appeal can come out of them yet.

Ok…ready for tonight!

• Amy says:

ps. not that Scotty had that appeal to me either…but to a bagillion girl fans, he did. I didn’t see that win that year..but he’s done well, seems like a nice guy…so with that disclaimer from me, I’ll shut up now.

35. Amy says:

oops lots of typos above….sorry…I apparently still need an “edit” button.

36. Baby Clyde says:

Can you please stop calling her ‘Season 6 standout, Melinda Doolittle’. It’s so pedestrian. She should be called ‘American Idol Legend’!!!

37. Amy says:

Kreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Just. Sayin’.

Just had to come here now, something I never do while watching…to say that.
    I just knew she was gonna do that…cuz she’s got “that”….all that that Keith said. That’s what I felt last week too and tonight was even better. Loved, loved, loved it. Even , love her “organic” non-style, style too…keep it simple and real..and just sing like that.

Ok, Angela’s on! cya~

38. Liza says:

I don’t like how the judges are pimping Angela and Candice! Yes, I said “pimping” because the other contestant should be made to feel part of the competition too. Angela, to me is just a little to over confident about yourself.