Revenge Recap: Dead in the Water

MICHAEL TRUCCO, MARGARITA LEVIEVAWe finally know who’s ship outta luck.

Revenge this week returned to the fateful event it teased in the season premiere: the sinking of the Amanda and the demise of at least one person on board. Warning: You may want to don a life vest, so adrift will you be on currents of disbelief at various points during the narrative. You also may want to grab some tissues, because one death — as promised — is a significant one. Now, without further ado, let’s review what went down — besides Jack’s beloved boat – in “Sacrifice.”

RELATED | Revenge Exclusive: Meet Emily’s Foster Brother!

A RAT ON BOARD | As the episode opens, Jack and Amanda are in bedded honeymoon bliss on the boat while Nate hides out in the closet — so not only is the Ryan brother a murderous thug, he’s also a creeper. Lovely. The next morning, just as Jack is puzzled by a pack of cigarettes and a lighter he finds tucked away on board, Nate makes his presence known. And he’s got a gun. Jack has no idea what their captor is talking about when he says Amanda’s responsible for Conrad pulling out of the waterfront-development deal. While Mr. and Mrs. Porter are locked up belowdecks, Amanda whispers that they’re going to have to kill Nate because he’ll never let them escape with their lives. And while I think she’s probably right, I have to hope Jack was at least a little freaked out by how quickly his new bride went there.

Meanwhile, back in the Hamptons, Ashley tips Emily off that Amanda blackmailed Conrad with some serious dirt. Em’s voice says, “I’ll talk to her.” Em’s face says, “I’ll rip her beating heart from her chest, blend it into a smoothie and sip it through a straw.” She boots Ashley from the house and checks her secret hiding spot, from which the laptop is conspicuously missing. She then visits Amanda and Jack’s apartment, where she finds Charlotte making a slideshow for her “sister” with photos from the wedding. Char shows Em one cute shot of the marrieds just before they shoved off, and Emily immediately zeroes in on something miniscule in the background: Nate’s thug face peeking out from the lower decks like a puppy in a pet-store window – a nasty, gun-wielding puppy. (Side note: I laughed out loud at Em’s realization. A little too easy, no?)

Emily summons Nolan for an emergency meeting, during which he tracks Nate’s cell phone to where it last pinged: out in the ocean, halfway to Jack and Amanda’s honeymoon destination of Nantucket. So Em and her sidekick jump in a motor boat and take off after the Amanda. (Side note regarding that cruising-the-high-seas-at-top-speed sequence: Did we learn nothing from Ringer?)

A SINKING FEELING | Back on the S.S. We’re Screwed, there’s a big, complicated subterfuge as Amanda makes Nate think the laptop is in Montauk, then Jack tries to make Nate think Declan’s laptop is the one he’s looking for, then Jack and Amanda fake a fight to cover the sound of them prepping the raft for a speedy getaway. They manage to lock the talented Mr. Ryan in the cabin – where the laptop is conveniently left open, allowing Nolan to watch what’s going on via a hacked webcam (I know, I know – but on the upside, those vests you put on earlier are not only crucial to your survival, they’re quite slimming. You look great.). So Nolan and Em watch as Nate shoots his way out of captivity – hitting Jack in the process. Aw, Jack. Your luck is truly terrible in all situations. Then Amanda pushes her hurt hubby into the inflatable so he’ll get away safely; she stays on the boat and tries to get the gun from Nate, but all she gets is a head injury and some unconsciousness. Meanwhile, despite its shabby exterior, the Amanda must possess warp capability – because by the time Nate realizes what’s happened, Jack’s raft is about three light years away from the boat.

Night has fallen by the time Emily and Nolan find her childhood love, who’s hopelessly bobbing in the deep blue like a tiger-free Pi. Nolan rushes the pale Porter to shore and the hospital; Emily commandeers the raft and, using its outboard motor, races to catch up to the Amanda. She does so just as the craft’s electrical system shorts out, thanks to Amanda opening a valve that floods the lower third of the boat. Nate and the women fight, with Amanda eventually landing a shot that fells Nate (and pierces the propane tank in the process). With gas and water filling the cabin, Emily hustles her old pal into the raft but at the last minute, Amanda goes back to grab the necklace Emily gave her as she left juvie. At that exact moment, a not-dead-yet Nate flicks his lighter and… the boat goes boom, tossing the ladies into the drink.

When Emily pulls Amanda onto the half-demolished raft, she realizes that the former exotic dancer is headed for that great strip club in the sky. “Jack and my baby, I need to know you’ll take care of them,” Amanda says, pressing her necklace into Em’s palm. Emily cries, promises and cries some more as Amanda dies in her arms and eventually drifts off into the depths as the raft’s air supply dwindles. Goodnight, Amanda, you nutty, Frank-killing, Emily-worshipping mess of a girl.

TAKE THE INITIATIVE Back at Grayson Manor, Victoria is unrepentant about murdering Helen. “The bitch had it coming,” she remarks as Daniel and Conrad wrap The Initiative operative’s corpse in a carpet. Vicky quickly comes up with a new plan: The Graysons are going to offer up Amanda to The Initiative, hoping that the secret organization will take down their shared threat. She even goes to The Stowaway to invite Charlotte to the family’s Labor Day party which, for reasons I seriously don’t get, is doubling as the announcement of Conrad’s run for the governor’s seat. (Side note: Take a look at baby Carl’s face in this scene. I swear to you, he rolls his eyes at Victoria’s lame reasons for wanting her daughter home for the evening. Smart kid.) While Charlotte and Declan get their things together, Victoria slips Helen’s phone and scarf under Amanda’s bed… where an Initiative dude named Trask, working off a tip from the Graysons, later finds it.

Meanwhile, Aiden’s trying to help Padma find out whether her father is still alive. She eventually talks to Trask, asking for proof that her pop’s not already gone; Trask says the package she just signed for contains the evidence she wants. It’s her dad’s finger. Exactly how does that prove he’s still among the living? (I know. Just like all of those safety videos say, I should’ve put on my own life vest before telling you to wear yours.)

Now it’s your turn. Did you guess that Amanda would go to her watery grave? How do you think her death will affect Emily? Think Jack will pull through? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jake says:

I don’t get why Amanda thought it was best to stay on the ship and let a shot jack go on the boat himself. Great episode by the way

• tripoli says:

I had the same thought. He was clearly in no condition to save himself and she had no idea that anyone was coming to help them so she pretty much just set him off to die out there alone. Luckily for her and Jack, it was Emily and Nolan to the rescue.

• Lola says:

Maybe she thought she’d be able to overpower/kill Nate and then rescue Jack and bring him back aboard the “Amanda” and then get help for him?

2. Abby says:

The only thing about the Stowaway plotline that is not completely closed off is that Nate’s brother is still alive. Even though Nate was the evil one, his brother could be seeking revenge in future episodes… Just a thought… (Although I am so glad that Nate is gone!)

• ellen8 says:

Also there must be a wife – Nate did wear a wedding ring as it was made obvious.

• Abby says:

Good point! I forgot about that – Especially since we had never heard of Nate’s wife until last night’s episode… but maybe he’s divorce and just isn’t over the marriage, haha.

3. Drew Herring says:

One question: Won’t Fauxmanda’s body reveal in the autopsy that she was actually “Emily Thorne”?… I mean in real life, they would dig a little deeper into who she was. She was (in a way) MURDERED. There was a reason why Nate wanted her to die, so I’m sure even the FBI would discover something about who she was…? But we know Mike Kelley left all his logical storytelling back in S1.

• Kathryn says:

We don’t know that her body will be found…. I can see the show leaving it open in case they want her to return. And even if her body is fine… I highly doubt they would have had any info on the real Emily Thorne/Amanda Clark (i.e. DNA) to identify them since they switched places when they were teenagers.

• Alichat says:

Plus…you know….sharks.

4. ellen8 says:

Someone here posted that we see her body in the previews as doctor removes wood from her body ?? So assuming the body is found, an autopsy is performed – wouldn’t Real Amanda (Emily) who so carefully planned their identity exchange, covered their fingerprints as well. Dental records might be more difficult to change though !!

However, maybe they won’t do an autopsy for identification. In real life, isn’t a family member’s identification of a body usually sufficient for id purposes?

5. Amanda Clarke says:

Ohmygosh that KILLED me. I sat there and cried for like hours. omygosh amanda… i miss her so much:( “I love you too.” omygosh that was AWFUL and so sad. what is jack gonna do? And Charlotte? and poor little Carl? so glad stupid Nate is gone but still so not worth it for amanda to die. poor baby:( omygosh im gonna miss herrrr… <3 great episode though!

6. MikeyM says:

Great episode. It kept me on the edge of my couch the whole time but one minor thing…
    If the boat blew up, how did
    a whole hand survive at the bottom of the ocean?

7. Michael says:

GREAT, analysis, as always Kim. It’s funny…I like reading your reviews when the show is great so I can celebrate how wonderful the show is and I like your reviews when the show is off-track so I can commiserate! (in a “Oh, good, it’s not just me who isn’t lovin’ this stuff” kind of way.)

To think Fauxmanda would be alive if she hadn’t gone back for that necklace! Heart-breaking. Even more heart-breaking was that she died not knowing Jack’s really the father of little Carl. Did Fauxmanda’s body slip away into the water like Jack’s in Titanic? It’d be such a stretch for her to come back after that, but I wouldn’t mind it. That’s how much I liked the character. I hope the other Ryan brother never shows again, but I think the wife of the dead one isn’t a bad idea. The show appears a bit back on track now. LOVED how Victoria put on some of Helen’s clothes and pretended to be her so that as far as the driver knows Helen left Grayson manor alive and well. I can see why Amanda had to die from a story point. I’ll just miss her more than I thought I would.

In an ideal finale, she’d pop up alive… as would Lydia….hell, even Sammy; and you-know-who would die. I don’t want to jump on the bandwagon by naming him. The poor guy may come on and read this.

8. Amanda says:

Ugh, I honestly hated Fauxmanda, and I’m not sad to see her gone! Am I the only one left who has hope for Emily and Jack? I’m sorry, but Aidan does nothing for me!

9. ggny says:

Of course she is not really dead is a dam Soap

10. ady says:

can we talk about how brilliant emily van camp is? she’s constantly proving herself to be one of the finest young actresses on tv, loved her since everwood and i’m happy people are seeing how good she is.
    I like fauxmanda and the friendship between the girls but it was emily’s reaction that really got me, it was gut wrenching.
    kinda wish it was aiden instead, don’t care for him.
    am i the only one not feeling him or his chemistry with emily?

• NCSouthernBelle says:

Definitely not. It feels too forced. I know I’m in the minority here, but I will only be happy with Emily in a relationship when the other half of that pairing is Daniel. I know they date in real life, but they have such an on-screen chemistry that neither Aiden nor Jack has ever matched.

• RockerBilly says:

Maybe so. Jack and real Amanda have nothing and it’s impossible to believe they were ever childhood sweethearts. ABC just canceled the show with killing off Amanda. Enjoy it the rest of the season because it’s toast.

11. Deion says:

In the end there, I Kinda liked Fauxmanda. She was an unpredictable crazy. However, with her death, they need to abandon Amanda Clarke. At this stage, Jack and Charlotte would absolutley HATE Emily for letting them love and mourn an imposter.

12. Loni says:

I thought last nights episode was fantastic. It was a very fitting end to Amanda’s character. That part where she thanked Emily for giving her the one thing she’d always wanted, a family. It will definitely hype up the revenging from Emily and get the show back on track so that’s a great thing in my book. Emily van Camp did a great job acting it too. Love this show!

13. Wayne says:

The writers got to give themselved a pat on their back on this one….. great episode!

14. oh my god Jack is going to be devasted when he wakes up. He might be in so much shock that he will forget about carl.

15. Seabcat says:

R.I.P. Faux-Amanda! She was a fun, chameleon-like character! Loved the scene with her and Emily on the raft (it was heart-wrenching!) I agree, they need to give Jack a better personality. He’s sweet, but boring. Maybe he’ll become a different (more exciting) person in the aftermath of his wife’s death. Can’t wait to see what Emily has up her sleeve next – too bad we have to wait 3 weeks!!

16. RockerBilly says:

It’s too bad, really. I liked the show but killing Amanda was scripting suicide. ABC, you banked on us giving a rat’s ass that Jack and real Amanda had something as kids, but we stopped caring about that when you tricked him with Fauxmanda. Then we end up loving Fauxmanda as much as “Emily”, if not more. I hope your ratings drop, you cheap bastards. Bring her back. Let “Ems” have Aiden.

17. A says:

I am so mad that they got rid of Amanda. Why did they do that? Those kind of moves make me want to quit watching the show. Get rid of one of the worthless characters. Who’s next Nolan? This is bulls#!+…

18. Hannon says:

Never watching revenge ever agon in
    Unless we bring back amanda we have 45 pepole in our house and next door who watches it ill tell them never watch it again they have agreed but bring back amanda take her to a hostptail