Pilot Scoop: Sarah Michelle Gellar to Star in CBS' David E. Kelley Comedy Crazy Ones

SMGellar_300Crazy Ones is bringing in a ringer.

Sarah Michelle Gellar has joined David E. Kelley’s CBS comedy pilot, TVline has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s in Them

Crazy Ones, from David E. Kelley (Ally McBeal), is a father/daughter workplace comedy set in the world of advertising. Mork & Mindy alum Robin Williams will play Gellar’s character’s dad, and Political Animals‘ James Wolk has signed on as an office hottie (and potential love interest?).

Jason Winer (Modern Family) will direct the pilot.

If the project goes to series, it will be Gellar’s first since The CW cancelled her drama Ringer last year. The actress is, of course, known best for wielding a stake as Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer for seven seasons.

1. Esaul says:

This is pretty interesting.

2. Teag says:

Single or multi camera?

3. Darcy says:

Wow CBS is doing well this pilot season.

4. kris says:

I will DIE if they don’t pick this up…this cast is BOMB.

5. Steven says:

Robin Williams and SMG. CBS is going to pick it up 100% guarantee. Awesome!

6. Bee says:

WOAH. SMG, robin williams, and james wolk? AWESOME. now let’s hope this show is good. it being a (probably multi-cam) CBS show is worrying because they deserve better than generic nonsense, but i’m optimistic.

7. Dr.Comic says:

James Wolk???? This is doomed. The guy is a jinx. Now Im very curious to see what happens with this.

8. J says:

really? you had to clarify Robin Williams with Mork and Mindy? I mean, I loved that show but that was 30+ years ago. I think his name alone will spark recognition.

9. DL says:

Wow, now I’m definitely excited for this show. Can’t help but think it needs a better title though.

10. Brooke says:

fricking BEST NEWS EVER !!!!!!!!!! ahhh so happy please let them pick it up and put the piolet on inbetween big bang and two and a half men it would b a grate starting off point for the show it worked for 2 broke girls :)

11. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

As a longtime quoter of Denny Crane, this is the best news I’ve heard in a long time. David E. kelly, Robin WIlliams, and Sarah Michelle Gellar could very well be solid gold. If it’s as masterfully done as The Good Wife, CBS could be setting the trend for intelligent, non-formulaic serialized network television. Dream Team 2013.

12. Josh says:

In addition, CBS has the all but confirmed Mom pilot by Chuck Lorre, and they also has quality comedy pilots in The McCarthy’s, starring Jack McGee, Jacki Weaver as well as Greg Garcia’s Super Clyde after Rupert Grint signed on to star. CBS has a diverse batch of comedy pilots this season – a lot of which I cannot see them passing up on. A expansion of their current comedy block if definitely imminent, especially seeing as they only will have 1-2 comedy lineup slots (maybe 3) free for next fall, and that is if they cancel both Friend Me and Rules Of Engagement.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

100% in agreement. CBS will need to expand their comedy block – I’m guessing into Thursday nights at 9pm? If they don’t go that route, I’d be shocked. I guess ‘plan B’ would be Wednesday nights at 8pm.

Thursday night of – TBBT, Mom, 2.5 Men, Crazy Ones, PoI

That lineup would be CBS’ message to the other networks on Thursday nights – “Game on.”

• ragincajun says:

If I were programming CBS next season, I would try something like this:

Monday
      HIMYM
      2BG
      Crazy Ones (NEW)
      Super Clyde (NEW)
      Beverly Hills Cop (NEW)

Yes, I know three new shows is risky, but Crazy Ones has Robin Williams, Super Clyde has Rupert Grint, and Beverly Hills Cop is a well know commodity. Plus, CBS has the Emmys this season, and they can have Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy co-host the show to pimp their new series premieres the following night.

Tuesday
      NCIS
      NCIS: Red
      NCIS: LA

You can’t go wrong with this night.

Wednesday
      PoI
      CM
      CSI

PoI should get the same demos as Survivor and deliver 2-3 million more viewers to CM, which would then help CSI.

Thursday
      TAAHM
      M&M
      TBBT
      Mom (NEW)
      Intelligence (NEW)

Chuck Lorre night topped off with a dash of Josh Holloway.

Friday
      H50
      Elementary
      Blue Bloods

H50 could be Friday’s version of NCIS, which would help the rest of the night.

Sunday
      60 Minutes
      TAR
      Survivor
      Undercover Boss – Fall / Hostages (NEW) – Spring

Survivor should dramatically improve CBS’s demos over TGW, and Undercover Boss would be time period filler for the football overruns. Then in the spring, CBS can try a new 10:00 show.

Mid-season: TGW (13 episodes); CSI: NY (10-episode final season); One new drama; Two new comedies

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I think you’re on to something – time to send this schedule over to CBS and Nina ;) The only areas that I differ on the schedule that I’ve been thinking about for CBS is in the placement of some of the new series you noted. I like the old ‘hammock spot’ approach – placing new shows in between existing series to give them maximum protection. Hence –

Thursday – I like just sliding PoI to 10pm on Thursday, and not moving TBBT and just sliding 2.5 Men back a half hour. It provides least amount of disruption, and yet, big changes to the overall Thursday lineup.

Monday – I normally would like to keep the top of the hour (8pm and 9pm) slots reserved for returning series, so I’d keep 2Broke at 9pm, and hammock in a new show at 8:30. M&M I believe should eventually be moved somewhere else to open up a spot for a new series. The M&M move may indeed be to Thursdays, but that may be a year away after 2.5 Men and HIMYM complete their final season in May’14. Also, I’d use M&M at 9:30pm as a strong lead-in for a new series at 10pm; the timing is now for Five-0 to move.

Friday – The challenge with Friday nights is the shows placed there have to have their production budgets really tight and lean – the ad dollars are just not as strong on Friday (or Sat) as they are the rest of the week. Blue Bloods and CSI:NY have done a nice job of keeping costs down. I also thought of moving Five-0 to Friday, but the problem there is [I believe] the production cost of filming in Hawaii. Hence, I don’t know if it would be possible to move Five-0 to Friday, but I think the show will be moved. That Monday night 10pm slot is a golden slot – I’d place Intelligence in that slot, and maybe do a short-order on Five-0 (13 episodes) to keep the costs down and maybe then a shot at Friday or winter-mid season back up in case Intelligence doesn’t work. But with Josh Holloway as lead, if the writing is any good at all, that Intelligence series is almost no-miss. Can you imagine the ratings by bringing in some guest star opportunities for someone like Evangeline Lilly, Matt Fox or Elizabeth Mitchell?

Wednesday – I’d move Elementary to 9pm slot – this show is good, young show with upside – the new anchor show for the night. I don’t know if CM is ‘family friendly’ enough for 8pm – if so, I’d place CM there. Survivor is near the end – it might be best to have it run just one cycle per season – winter/spring run in 2014 if producers are okay with that approach.

Sunday – Although I don’t watch it regularly, TGW is a good show, emmy-type quality with a star lead. I know folks want to move that show, but I think it is a good counter-program move against NFL football during fall season. I’d leave it there, and then maybe consider a move to Tuesday night at 10pm in winter’14 if the NCIS full 3 hour block proves to be ‘too much of a good thing’… it might.

13. Mark says:

I couldn’t have dreamed if a better casting scenario. Pumped for this one. David E Kelly hardly ever lets me down.

14. Josh says:

Wow…that’s a pretty stellar cast.

15. dee123 says:

Robin Williams + SMG + David E. Kelley = Battle of the egos.

• Gleena says:

Yeah. As much as I like this cast and premise. These three together means a huge war of egos on the set. But you know when people fight there’s always something good coming out of it (on movie sets only).

• Jane says:

Pretty much.

Ugh, I’m so done with SarMiGeddon. Don’t know when or why I turned on her but now I can’t stand her. But I was always unlikely to watch a David E Kelley show, so I’m pleased she’s here and not on something I would watch.

Hmm. I’m feeling grumpy today, it seems. I’ll show myself out.

16. lorna says:

Ringer was not the best show, but I was intrigued. I miss it.

17. kavyn says:

I’m not necessarily a fan of CBS comedies, but Anna Faris and Sarah Michelle will definitely be must watch for me, at least for their first episodes.

18. helena says:

Can’t wait for this I really hope that pick it up :)

19. Liz says:

That’s SO great!! Finally Sarah is back, and OMG, with Robin Williams as well?! AND it’s a David E. Kelley show!

20. TV Gord says:

Mork and Buffy. I like it.

21. Jay says:

I’m sorry, I just don’t find Robin Williams funny…his shtick is just old and annoying..

• lime says:

Same! He is so obnoxious, like a prop comic without any props except his voice. it feels manic and he stresses me out! I do love Geller though; I might check it out to see if i can handle Williams.

• TV Gord says:

I agree, but this is a scripted Robin Williams, and not his, “whoa-ho, don’t be afraid…” shtick that was already old in the 80s. Just as Howie Mandel can be cloying, he was great on St. Elsewhere, so I’m hoping for actor Robin Williams, not comedian Robin Williams.

22. Elyse says:

yes!!! can’t wait :)

23. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

Kelly, why can’t I ‘Recommend’ this story as opposed to Liking it? Tell Michael to have this fixed stat. I’m good to help in the exposure of the site, especially scoop like this.

24. Jasie says:

I watch anything DEK has ever done. Even the weak links. But For the life of me I an not ge tinto any of CBS’s shows. Comedy or Drama. Part of it Is I maybe havent’ given them muchof a chance but the ones I have watched that everyone loves, I just don’t find that great. However, I am hoping this one will break my trend.

25. Ben says:

It would be so awesome to have these three actors in the same show! Hope the pilot’s good enough to get picked up!

26. Alan says:

was interested by the cast, then i read david kelly, think ill pass.

27. Jon says:

Is this DEK’s first sitcom?

28. Ella says:

Aaaaand, it’s ruined.

29. Aurora Mundy says:

Sooooo….they are bringing back “Just Shoot Me”? Wasn’t that a father daughter advertising business blah blah blah? How original :)

30. Kat says:

I hope this goes well not like Ringer which I loved even though they only got one season which was not enough, I wanted to know what will happen next after shiobanne found out….oh and buffy the vampire slayer should have season 8 since they have it in the books :/ I really loved the both shows.

31. Kat says:

I hope this goes well not like Ringer which I loved even though they only got one season which was not enough, I wanted to know what will happen next after shiobanne found out….oh and buffy the hvampire slayer should have season 8 since they have it in the books :/ I really loved the both shows.

32. Anonyme says:

Why there isn’t second season of ringer That s horrible, the end of the first season isn’t a true end

33. Anonyme says:

Please sign the petitions to save ring, write to the production That s not possible an end Like this