Pilot Scoop: Jason Isaacs Is Surgeon General

Surgeon General Pilot CBS Jason IsaacsAwake‘s Jason Isaacs has landed the title role in CBS’ Surgeon General drama pilot, TVLine has learned.

The project, which will revolve around “America’s doctor,” is being written and produced by Lie to Me creator Samuel Baum.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s in Them

Isaacs’ top doc is described as “a man of solid build and solid character” who has the rare mix of resolve, humanity and dry wit.

The part is Isaacs’ first major TV role since NBC put Awake to sleep in 2012.

1. GS says:

While I adore him as an actor, why do they keep casting British actors for American roles? They butcher our accents as much as we do theirs. Just STOP!

• Superhero says:

Isaacs does a pretty good accent.

• Alan says:

issacs did a fantastic american accent in awake; and i didnt even know hugh laurie was english when i first saw him in house and believed he was american for about 2 years afterwards. dont base everything on a few bad accents. at least you arent irish, every american who attempts an irish accent give a new meaning to butchering for me and practically the rest of the country; you guys have it easy with portrayals of your accent believe me.

2. Superhero says:

Ugh. Such a talented actor shouldn’t be saddled with a CBS show. I was hoping he would get the male lead on Tyrant on FX. Sounds like there would’ve been a fit there. Well, here’s hoping this doesn’t go to series and he gets a better role down the line.

3. Jackson says:

Great news! He’s such a great actor and I loved him in Awake. And I loved Lie To Me, so I have high hopes for this show. Plus he’s HOT!

4. I love Jason Issacs, and would watch him on any show. I’m excited to see this.

5. Addison says:

This show might turn out to be a success, but that sounds like a generic character description for most cops/lawyers/middle-age male characters on television.

6. Margie says:

Love him. He is so sexy.

• Auntie J. says:

Love him too. I’m so happy he picked a network show and I hope it makes it on air and stays. I was afraid he’d be on HBO or Showtime again. (channels I don’t get)

7. Gillian says:

Love him!

8. Fantastic actor. He was the best thing about ‘Awake’. Looking forward to this and hoping it gets picked up.

9. Eliza says:

Loved him in Awake (mumble mumble shouldn’t have been cancelled mumble mumble jason robbed of an emmy mumble mumble) and it’ll be great to have him back on the TV.

10. Linderella says:

This is the best pilot news I’ve heard yet!

11. Tran says:

This could be even worse than his last series Awake on NBC. Don’t let the ratings fooled CBS.

12. steve m says:

Super to see the amazing Emmy-denied (Awake) Jason Isaacs may be back in the TV game. Wish one of the edgy cable or HBO/Showtime networks had a great leading role for him; I don’t doubt that’ll come in a fairly short time. Meanwhile, Jason can kick ass over all of CBS’s procedurals until “Surgeon General”s ratings dip and they yank another original, interesting series off the air. Best wishes, Jason!

13. M. says:

The medical pilot centers on America’s doctor: the surgeon general of the United States, with Isaacs set to play Dr. John Sherman, a man of solid build and character. He’s got a rare mix of resolve, humanity and dry wit. When he’s injured during his service as a military medic, he becomes a national hero and is appointed to the office of surgeon general upon his return to the U.S.

Sherman is a widower who is raising two teen girls on his own, with a bit of help from his mother-in-law, and doesn’t take kindly to the political aspect of his position. All he wants to be concerned with is the nation’s health, but he can’t ignore the politics that come with the job. – (Hollywood Reporter)

14. ln419 says:

Even with the most banal of discriptions, Jason Isaacs Is such a talentd actor with standards in the stratosphere. He will take this part and put his very elegant ‘John Hancock’ on it like no ones business! Hello to ya Jason!