Ratings: Survivor Premiere At All-Time Low, Idol Dips, Arrow Rises to Outdraw NBC Sitcombo

Season PremiereSurvivor: Does the Subtitle Really Matter Anymore premiered on Wednesday night to just under 9 million total viewers and a 2.4 rating, down 23 percent in the demo from the series’ spring 2012 opener and marking another all-time low for a premiere.

Leading out of the Big Bang repeat (5.8 mil/1.6) that followed Survivor, CSI (9.1 mil/2.1) was down 17 and 12 percent, hitting a series-low demo.

American Idol drew 13.4 mil and a 4.3, down 6 percent week-to-week and delivering, a rival whispers, its smallest audience since Aug. 14, 2002 aka Season 1.

RELATED | American Idol Recap: Who Run the World? Girls!

Over on The CW, Arrow (3.26 mil/1.1) gained 10 percent with its renewal news and topped NBC’s combined sitcombo in total audience, while Supernatural (2.47 mil/1.0) rose 8 percent in total viewers to its second-largest audience of the season (while steady in the demo).

ABC’s The Middle (7.6 mil/1.9) fell 7 and 17 percent, while The Neighbors (5.9 mil/1.7) was flat. Modern Family (10.03 mil/3.8) ticked up a bit and Suburgatory (6.07 mil/2.2) rose 6 and 10 percent. Nashville capped ABC’s night with 5.7 mil/1.8, up 8 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: ‘I Told You I Don’t Cry Pretty’

Last and in some ways least, NBC’s Whitney (3.6 mil/1.2) was flat, Guys With Kids (2.85 mil/1.0) dropped 17 percent to series lows, SVU (6.3 mil/1.6) rebounded 10 percent and a tenth from Mike Tyson-gate, and Chicago Fire (6.65 mil/1.9) was steady.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Amy says:

1.5 hour Survivor! A Big Bang replay aired at 9:30.

2. Lincoln says:

Time to retire Survivor… It’s gotten boring.. always bringing back former contestants…. time to let it die.

3. So happy for Arrow and Supernatural. It was great to see the CW give them both early renewals.

4. Adam Bramble says:

Supernatural is at it’s best this season it’s much better then the past two seasons combined. Arrow was great as always, I will l be getting on Arrow on dvd. F*** Bluray.

5. rissa says:

Awesome news for Arrow & Supernatural!

6. wrstlgirl says:

Love Survivor, I’ve never missed an episode but these reality series need to stop bringing back repeat players. Big Brother does it also and it’s very annoying. Glad to see Chicago Fire is steady, waiting for Season 2 news for that one. Haven’t had a chance to watch Arrow and Supernatural yet but I’m sure they were great as well.

7. I hate reality TV, they could get rid of all of them. I do love Supernatural and am glad they at least renewed it for next year. CSI Vegas I find boring and the characters annoying…put CSI NY on instead!

8. Phillip says:

Arrow didn’t out rate Whitney in the total viewers or in the demo.

9. TMW says:

Not surprised at all about Survivor. It will be the lowest rated season ever. Absolutely horrible players this time around. Philip? Really? And I don’t think “a new Dawn” was necessary, either.

10. Lea says:

Yay for arrow!!! Last nights episode was the best so far this season!!! Love Slade Wilson!!

11. Dicie says:

How did The Americans do in the ratings? With Arrow at 8, Supernatural at 9, and The Americans at 10 Wednesdays have become destination TV night.

12. Mary says:

Aww, last night’s Middle ended up being one of my favorite episodes ever. Both Sue and Axl were great. Even the AV Club gave it an A. Wish more had tuned in!

Happy about Supernatural’s numbers though!

13. Dee says:

What about the season premier of Southland??????

Does anybody know how much time has passed since last year?

14. B says:

I just got back into watching the show the last few seasons, I think the last I’d watched before was season 2 or 3. I think the fact that I sat out so long keeps it interesting enough for me, but at this point I think they really need to change it up to make it fresh again.

People have been watching for almost 13 years now, it would be nice to do something that throws all strategy learned from the previous seasons out the window. Like surprise them by starting out with individual immunity from the start, instead of tribal. Or perhaps alternate from week to week, or something. It’s just become routine, even with the “twists,” that there will be a merge, a tribe shuffle, a food auction, etc. There are so many unexplored possibilities!

15. Tran says:

Ratings update on Southland?

16. Chicago Dan says:

CSI still wins the time slot even with the last minute TBBT repeat lead-in and trimmed down Survivor. I don’t know what CBS was thinking last week.

17. TrulyRoxie says:

Damn, I thought it started next week! Have to get it on demand to catch up!

18. OMED-Josh says:

Shame about Guys With Kids, it’s really developed into a solid show.

19. Mikael says:

Excellent news for Arrow, a CW show beating out one the big 4 networks! It really is a good show, and it keeps getting better!