Glee Recap: Wedding Belle Blues [Updated]

GLEE_S4-Ep4-I-Do-Emma“Emma’s left the building.” And yet that at-the-altar announcement by ice-cold Sue Sylvester was only the tip of the iceberg on an action-packed episode of Glee that kept the “Say what now?” surprises coming right down to the very final scene.

Oh yes, folks, “I Do” contained the following eyebrow-raising plot developments:

PHOTOS | 25 TV Couples We Miss This Valentine’s Day

* Emma, reeling from the pressure of planning her wedding all alone while Will was in Washington, DC with his blasted blue-ribbon panel, got the coldest of cold feet, delivered an incredible rendition of “(Not) Getting Married Today” and fled the church via putrid green taxi. (Am I the only one who finds Jayma Mays’ musical numbers to be consistently awesome and wishes there were more of ‘em?)

RELATED | Valentine’s Day Love: 30 Duos That Got Snubbed From Our Ultimate Couples Countdown!

* Mr. Schue took the rejection hard — especially since he felt like his absence was the catalyst for the cataclysmic event. But best man Finn — still feeling guilty about kissing the bride 10 days before her big day — helped rally his former teacher/current bestie and made him realize he needs to go out into the world, club his woman over the head and drag her back to the cave (so to speak). Here’s hoping, though, that Finn heeds Rachel’s advice and never mentions the kiss to Schue. As the Lady Berry noted, dude always dreamed of being an actor: “Here’s your chance to play the role of the supportive best man.” Oh snap! (Side note: How hot did Finn look in that wooly brown sweater during his chat with Will in the teacher’s lounge?)

* Under the “What Happens at the Reception Stays at the Reception (Even if It’s No Longer Really a Reception)” Clause, we got hookups between Rachel and Finn, Kurt and Blaine, Quinn and Santana, Artie and Emma’s niece Betty (The Glee Project‘s very cool Ali Stroker), but not for Jake and Marley. Final score: Wah-chicka-wah-waah, 4; Chastity, 1. While Quinn labeled her sapphic awakening as a one-off (okay, make it a two-off) and Kurt tried to play it casual, it was clear where Finn stood on the matter of his future with Rachel: “We are endgame. I know that, and you know that,” he said with mix of optimism and steely resolve. It was as if Glee‘s writers were shouting to the show’s core fans, “Don’t worry — we’ll get these crazy kids back together, but you might have to be patient!” Interestingly, it was Rachel who plucked the final affirmative petal off Finn’s “she loves me, she loves me not” flower. Talk about saying it with flowers. Grrrrl!

* Mercedes and Mike attended the wedding, too, though I’ve got to question why. Mercedes sang a couple lines of music and dropped a bon mot about needing her “arm gays,” while Mike didn’t get to speak at all. Why bother, really? Just to tell fans that they’re still part of the cast? Tina, meanwhile, finally dropped her crush on Blaine — and not a second too soon, I might add!

* In underclassman news, Ryder played Cyrano de Bergerac and helped Jake give Marley a first-rate Valentine’s Week, while clearly pining for her the whole time. But when Jake noted he thought her was “so getting laid” after the reception, Ryder was aghast and insisted Marley wasn’t ready for the full Puckerman. Later, Marley told Ryder she knew he was behind all the Valentine’s romance, and after she sweetly thanked him, he planted a kiss on her lips right there in the McKinley hallway. Triangle alert. Dunn dunn dunnnn!

* Back at home in NYC, it appears that Brody might be paying for his college tuition via the world’s oldest profession. What other reason would he be exiting hotel rooms with copious amounts of cash in his hands? This isn’t going to end well, is it? Burning question: Is Brody’s clientele male, female, or a little of both?

* Oh, and hold on to your wedding hats, ladies and gents, but Rachel might be pregnant. Or so said her day planner. And maybe that home pregnancy test she was taking in her bathroom. The look on her face wasn’t exactly Tony the Tiger trumpeting “I just got some grrrrrrrreat news!” Still, for a girl who’s all about the Sex and the City dream right now, shouldn’t she have invested in a box of condoms?

Musical Performance Grades
Jake and Marley, “You’re All I Need to Get By” | Didn’t Will commit to being a better teacher when he switched from Spanish to History? And yet he allows kids to interrupt class for moony serenades? I just couldn’t get past the ridiculousness. Grade: C+

Emma (and Will and selected guests), “(Not) Getting Married Today” | Jayma Mays hasn’t had much screen time in Season 4, but she’s made every line count. Her panic during this frantically paced number was totally palpable. And dang, her voice is pretty great, too. Grade: A

Kurt and Blaine, “I Just Can’t Get Enough” | Cute reception-hall fun. Grade: B+

Finn and Rachel, “We’ve Got Tonight” | I love when Glee manages to interweave its music with its story arcs, and this was a great example, with Finchel providing a sublime soundtrack to the various hotel-room seductions and shenanigans that followed the wedding fiasco. Great stuff! Grade: A

Marley, Artie, Jake and New Directions, “Anything Could Happen” | I dug the loose, spirited choreography, but given that Marley and Jake already had a prior musical number, I’d have rather had this be an Artie-Betty duet, or maybe even Tina-Kurt! Grade: B+

Episode’s Best Zingers
“Al Roker’s disgusting, by the way.” –Santana, responding to Quinn’s comment that Schue and the Today weather dude were the only decent men alive

This exchange, delivered mid-backseat-makeout session…
Blaine: This is just bros helping bros.
Kurt: I love when you talk fratty.

“You’re a weird bird lady with a hollow pelvis and OCD, and Will Schuster is a weepy man-child whose greatest joy in life is singing with children. And his best friend is 19.” –Sue, giving Emma additional reasons not to go through with the wedding

On that bitter note, I turn things over to you. What did you think of “I Do”? Did you (like me) think this was yet another incredible week for Jayma Mays? What do you make of Rachel’s possible bun in the oven? How about that speech from Finn? And what about the week’s other hookups? Sound off in the comments!

1. May says:

Just quit it already. Change the show’s name, switch characters, choose different names, and you’re good to go. No storyline change needed, because this hasn’t been Glee for a while.

2. screw Bram says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand why Bram are still together? Yeah Sam might “love” Brittany (dude loves every girl he meets so I can’t take him seriously), but Brittany sure as hell doesn’t love him. Bram doesn’t compare at all to Brittana or even Bartie (which I didn’t like, but at least Brittany actually said “I love him” about Artie).

3. Para says:

First of all! Awesome episode! Second, A show needs drama, anyone who is threating to quit because of some harmless drama needs to turn off tv all together!

4. Angela says:

I…am just going to stay out of the shipper debates, because, WOW, so much craziness and bed-hopping and whatnot, so I’ll just nod and go, “Okay” and leave it at that. And I will simply say that yes, Emma was awesome in this episode. And I liked Sue throughout as well.

5. Trouty Mouth says:

Am I the only one who feels bad for Brody? Not the fact that he cheated on Rachel, but the fact that he’s selling himself. I think he (and Puck) need some help.

6. Nic says:

I thought Jayma, Cory and Lea kicked this episode out of the park. Finn Hudson is wonderful. Yea sure, last week he messed up. He was confused, heartbroken and projecting and frack that was a mistake and he knew that the moment it happened. Still, he’s trying to make amends like any other human being. Then all the Finn and Rachel stuff, god bless. My heart man. I was in tears. Cory plays him fantastically. It was epic.

Rachel is clearly running scared and it’s all gonna come to a head soon so I’m excited to see it all play out. I’m excited for Glee again.

• Sara says:

Agreed! If Finchel is back, Glee is back. Cory Monteith is such a talent. He always gets to the heart of his character and sells it.

7. Carmen says:

I wonder if Brody was gambling instead of selling sex.

• Trouty Mouth says:

Either way, he’s mentioned having money issues in passing (“I can’t afford to go home for Thanksgiving”). Yet he’s going to be made the bad guy so perfect Finchel can get back together.

8. SCN - Once watched Glee for Finn's storylines, know better now... says:

So is Finn still hanging around his old high school pretending to coach the glee club or mopping the floors or whatever it is he does, like a useless ass incompetent loser? Yeah I thought so. They can keep their repetitive disposable Finchel scenes, really. This sucker ain’t falling for it.

9. Glee ISAFreakShow says:

The final episode of Glee would be something like this…

1 GIANT ORGY!!!! OH YA, GIVE IT to that Asian Hiney Jake!! OH YAAA, SUCK MY PECKER MR. SCHUSTER!! OH Artie you taste so good! Yes lick out our behind’s while we scissor Brittany! Oh God, Rachel’s baby is biting my pecker in her womb!! Oh Finn it’s really Puck’s baby after-all! Yes, cry like a baby while i spank your soft little tushy Kitty! Oh Mrs. Sylvester that feels so good harder!

• Quinn says:

That is rather disgusting. Disrespectful, too. Not to mention unnecessary. You didn’t like it, we get it, but this “orgy” you just described was way too much.

10. BlankSlate says:

Am I the last person on earth to get the writers’ literary wink to Dickens’ A CHRISTMAS CAROL? Scrooge’s deceased former partner in business was… Jacob Marley.

Hah.

Very funny, GLEE!

11. Things I liked about this episode:

1. Blaine and Kurt hooking up in the backseat of the car. That was HOT and there should be more of it.

2. I have to agree that Quinn and Santana are hotter and sexier than Brittany and Santana. There is the right amount of beauty, intelligence and bitchiness to make it interesting. More I say!

3. Kurt calling Tina out for being “hagged out.” Someone had to say it to her, and at least Kurt tried to confront her about basically sexually assaulting Blaine in his drug induced sleep. I thought the reconciliation between the three of them at the end was WAY too pat though.

4. I have no issues with Emma ditching Will at the altar and the song was funny and appropriate for her freakout.

Things I didn’t like about this episode:

2. I don’t know I feel about Rachel having sex with two men. I remember when Rachel was chaste and considered sex to be about emotional connection. Now it’s just for the hell of it? That is a dramatic personality turnaround in a short amount of time. And I can’t say I was that surprised at the pregnancy test at the end of the episode, though you would think Rachel would be responsible enough to be on birth control if she was having sex.

Things I was “meh” about this episode:

1. Sue in a carbon copy of Emma’s wedding dress. It was hilarious on one hand, and deeply inappropriate and completely unrealistic on another. I just can’t see someone actually doing that in real life. Though I laughed my ass off at her wedding bouquet speech and her walk down the aisle.

2. I have a hard time caring about the Jake/Marley/Ryder triangle. Though I would prefer that she end up with Ryder, because he just seems more sensitive and in tune to her needs. What exactly does Jake offer Marley over Ryder?

3. Most of the musical numbers (barring “(Not) Getting Married Today” and “I Just Can’t Get Enough”) were boring, bland and forgettable to me.

• chris says:

1. What the hell are Artie and Betty doing having sex after they JUST MET?!? They are in high school! Are we supposed to believe that happens with high school students? DOES IT???? – sadly it absolutely does..

12. Ana says:

Best part of the episode was No Wade/Unique!! It wasn’t a bad episode but the antics are just ridiculous. And I thought Quinntana was supposed to share a kiss. Who chickened out? Brad? Fox? The girls? Whatever the case is, its ridiculous how inequitably the girls are treated compared to the guys. Klaine get to romp, grope, kiss while Quintanna do, what? Pose on the bed without so much as touching each other? Yeah. Yet another reason why I don’t watch live anymore.

• David says:

Amen to no Unique….the most cliched character on the show. But Coach Beaste should have been at the non-wedding. She and Will have become close friends. It would have been more realistic for her to be the maid-of-honor than Sue Sylvester.

13. Lena says:

I really liked Quinntana and I’m not particularly a fan of either character.Hope there’s more of them.

Also glad Kurt is so clear about it being a hookup and nothing more. I don’t know how long it will last with the klainers constantly crying and throwing tantrums about how they “need their babies together” (also funniest thing to see them represented by Tina in there) but I’ll take whatever I can.

14. Mel says:

Klaine <33333 That is all. They were perfect, they will be back together.

• Marcus says:

you delusional little girls amuse me so much. KLAINE IS SO PERFECT I DON’T EVEN CARE THAT BLAINE TRIED TO RAPE KURT AND THEN CHEATED ON HIM OMG SUPERMEGAFOXYAWESOMEHOT BOYS KISSING!!!!1

they probably will be back together, because Glee sucks, but they’ll still be terrible and appeal only to morons and straight teen girls

15. Becca says:

I love Jayma! Really wish that they would use her more! And I died laughing at her “you glee kids are so incestuous” line

16. dude says:

I feel bad that Amber Riley hasn’t been utilized much the few times that she’s been brought back but not so much about Harry Shum Jr. He’s not a singer or actor, he’s a dancer. He was brought on as a dancer and knew he likely wouldn’t be given much material. The efforts they’ve made to expand his character over the seasons have really been a gift for him because he’s not that great of a singer or actor. Amber Riley is talented at both and was brought on as one of the core actors on the show and has really been neglected since season one.

• chris says:

The fact that they are all not in the same episodes together is probably more of a financial thing than a timing thing… this type of stuff has been done before – scrubs, lost etc. they make actors take off to keep the costs down. Amber might want more money than the producers / studio are willing to pay.

17. Lana says:

Did anyone else think that Sue looked better in the dress than Emma did?

18. I literally hated this episode. After months of neglect Mr. Schuster gets shafted, left at the alter and is out for the rest of the episode. This is horrible character treatment of both Emma and Will. It makes Emma look like a pathetic wreck when she has been making so much progress at the beginning of the season. Is it too much to ask that there be one single functional adult relationship around these kids?!?! This was like an anti-Valentines episode. There was absolutely no romance. It was all sex and selfishness. I literally felt a little dirty after I watched it. Jake couldn’t woo Marley himself so Rider straight up Cyrano’d it which Jake then used to try to get Marley into bed. Santana and Quin got drunk and “experimented” which is going to lead to yet another gay/straight “I love you but you don’t love me storyline. Speaking of which if Kurt doesn’t feel like a stupid dirty selfish hoe then he isn’t using the brains God gave him. Blaine may have cheated but he doesn’t deserve the mind bend that this is going to give him. Ditto Finn and Rachel. Not to mention Brody is a prostitute… seriously? No really, Seriously!?

• Sarcasm says:

Yes, how dare Kurt and Rachel not get back with their exes since that is what those boys want. Selfish sluts!

• Well, yes, it is selfish to take physical satisfaction for yourself when you know for a fact that the other person wants emotional fulfillment and not just sex. If you don’t know that then I feel sorry for the people you sleep with

19. Sunshine says:

I’m confused. Could the baby be Finn’s? Seemed like maybe it couldn’t be because she was checking her calendar (and taking the test) the day after she left the wedding reception. Or was there a time jump two weeks and I missed it? I’m looking for a way to think this is possibly Finn’s baby and not 100% Brody’s (who kind of grosses me out now – even though I liked him the beginning of the season).

20. SCN - Once watched Glee for Finn's storylines, know better now... says:

The most important thing about last night’s episode? These two quotes from Finn himself: “New Directions need both of their coaches”, and “We’re going to win Nationals again, together.” Time for those who still do to drop the naive and in fact incorrect belief that Finn is itching to get out of Lima and is practically packing his bags for NY, because apparently Finn doesn’t agree.

21. what do you have against Jarley?? They are really cute together and since the show is expanding to new characters, they have to introduce new couples, especially since a new group of kids are graduating this year….

22. derek says:

I liked We’ve Got Tonight the best, although I kept hearing Phillip Phillip’s version in my head (since that was the first time I heard it).

23. Melinda says:

Rachel’s going to have a false positive. Another stupid storyline. Glee just needs to go off the air.

24. Shirley says:

After 4 seasons, I’m finally done with Glee. Last night was reprehensible! A sexual free-for-all! And most disgusting was Artie’s hook-up with Betty. They just met & he didn’t even like her at first. The only one there who loved his partner was Finn (and maybe Blaine… who really looked cute with Tina last week…but that’s another story). What kind of message is that for kids? Yes, I know teens are really doing all that in high school. But this isn’t supposed to be a reality show. You want reality?? Check back on these kids in 2 yrs. & see how many STDs they each have (And after seeing where Brody’s money is coming from, Rachel better get to her Dr. immediately!!) . Or unwanted pregnancies (again – Rachel).

What happened to the original idea of the show? It used to be about kids who don’t “fit in” except for Glee Club because of their mutual love of music. Guess they now have something else in common!!! And how about a little decorum, at least for Mr. Schuster’s sake. The poor man got left at the alter! He was kind enough to allow the reception to go on. Show a little respect! The only thing I DID enjoy was hearing Matt Morrison sing again. I know he loves doing Theatre, so I hope he can get out of Glee & do what he loves. He has the best voice on the show & is seldom given anything to sing. Let Finn take over & let Mr. Schue move on to bigger & better things. Ryan, Brad, & Ian need to go back to the drawing board & fire the new writers. Too many “cooks in the kitchen” & the recipes are not what they used to be. JMO

25. Angel says:

I wish they wouldn’t have made Rachel into kind of a slut. I am sorry,but she’s shacking up with Brody, but getting some Finn on the side. Stupid girl, did she not learning anything from watching Quinn go thru the unplanned pregnacy bs. I did love Rachel and Finn’s scenes, they need to just get back together already, and not because of a baby! Finn needs to go to college and just become a teacher like Mr. Shue. I am so ticked that Emma freaked out and walked out on Will. I would be pissed at Will too for leaving, but instead of leaving the poor sap at the alter, postpone the wedding so you have more time to prepare. I hope they get back together and work things out. Sue was ridicilous too by the way. Her showing up in the same dress as Emma was tacky, and she needed to be shot for it.

26. cat says:

Who the hell goes around saying “endgame” IRL? This show is so dumb. And it’s completely stupid that we are supposed to believe that someone as ambitious as Rachel would want to stay with her loser high school boyfriend instead of moving forward with her life.

27. DeeKayTee says:

This may have been my favorite episode of Glee ever! The duet with Will & Emma was amazing!

28. Aleta says:

Yo shut up!! Quit blaming Finn for god’s Sake!! It’s not his fault! It’s not Rachel’s fault it’s nobody’s fault!! It’s just a show man GET OVER IT!! No one can control how u want the show goes!

29. Aria says:

Was anyone else concerned by the complete lack of concern of ANYONE for Will after he was totally ditched at his own wedding?? Everyone was more than willing to dance and have loads of sex, but no one seemed to give a crap or two about Will. Also, Ali was pretty great as Betty. Hope this is recurring!

• Timmah says:

The lack of concern was a little bit odd. On the other hand they are self-involved teenagers with raging hormones after all, so probably not that unrealistic.

Loved Ali from GP, I think she’s a good fit for this show.

30. I didn’t even realize Mike was there! Was actually thinking of whether or not he’s been let go from the cast. With all this manufactured Tina drama, I would have liked to see something actually happen between her and Mike. Everyone else reunited in some form or another!

Also, glad they are going forward with the Blake / Marley / Jake triangle. Seems like they’ve just been sitting on that for a while and the new New Directions need some of their OWN storylines (instead of just excuses to bring back the seniors). Plus, I love Glee Project winner Blake. I honestly think he has more talent and charisma and chemistry with Marley than Jake does. Team Blake!

31. Mareesa says:

Santana and Quinn is the best pairing. Hope it continues- HOT!