Claire Holt Joins Vampire Diaries Spin-Off

THE VAMPIRE DIARIESAnother member of the family has joined The Vampire Diaries‘ potential spin-off, The Originals.

Claire Holt will appear as Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Elijah’s (Daniel Gillies) vampire sister Rebekah in the CW project, per Deadline.

RELATED | The CW Orders Early Renewals for Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow

Also co-starring in the planted pilot, airing as an episode of Vampire Diaries on April 25, are Phoebe Tonkin (as werewolf Hayley), Daniella Pineda and Danielle Campbell (as witches Sophie and Davina, respectively), and Leah Pipes (as a human psychology student).

In the hour, penned by executive producer Julie Plec, Klaus returns to the French Quarter of New Orleans, a supernatural melting pot he helped build centuries before. He is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel (played by The Game‘s Charles Michael Davis). Meanwhile, Elijah — intent on helping his self-destructive brother find redemption — finds he must side with Marcel’s enemies to keep Klaus in line.

1. George says:

Well, I figured as much. I was hoping between her, Klaus, and Elijah they would have left one of them on the mother ship.

2. Isaac says:

This spin-off is becoming must-watch TV. Although… it sounds Angel-esque, but hoping being on NOLA will bring it’s own crazy… and no evil lawyers.

• Josh says:

Not at all…Angel was only a psycho murder when he didn’t have a soul. Angel was a story of redemption and growth…Klaus is a petulant child…I’d love this show if he wasn’t in it…but since it’s centering on him, I’m probably not tuning in…which sucks since I love Rekeka and Elijah…they’re great and complex…but Klaus is just…not

• Josh says:

And no I don’t think Klaus is redeemable…The reason why Angel was forgiven(and he never forgave himself and a lot of characters still didn’t forgive) was because he didn’t have a soul…this show’s vampire “badness” is so murky…Klaus is a mass murderer and a whiny brat…I just can’t root for him.

• Scoots says:

Don’t forget Spike didn’t have a soul, was a bad guy (like Klaus) and fought for one and eventualy got redemption. So it can be done. And also I fon’t count Angels redemption cause a soul was forced on him and without it he wouldn’t have wanted redeeming.

3. Babybop says:

Good! Not a big fan of the Hayley character being in there, but we’ll see how it goes!

4. this would all be perfect if it was not for the so talked new love interest “Camille” for Klaus or even worse, the so criticised love triangle between Klaus/Camille/Elijah. What about Klaroline? Why are they still being developped then? .. and why would they get an Elena 2.0 for the spinoff when they know everybody is sick and tired of main love triangles? plus, it’d just be so ooc of Klaus… I don’t even know… (This is just based on everything I read about the spinoff so far, I know this is just about Claire joining in, and I’m very happy about that part!)

• JC says:

I’m sorry, but commenters who insist on using ridiculous couple nicknames (Klaroline) to describe two TV characters, really don’t deserve to be taken seriously.

• jdurbs says:

Agreed! It’s just another example of our lazy as F*ck society. That and shortening names (Jlaw, kstew and on and on….) so very obnoxious.

• Mikael says:

I think Jennifer Lopez is to blame for both. She started it all by going by J.Lo and then the combination name started with her and Ben Affleck being called Bennifer.

• Ness says:

Names that are combined are called ships e.g Klaroline, Delena, Stebekah etc. It’s NOT society being lazy, its a part of TV fan culture.

• Josh says:

Too true haha

• RandAybarra says:

Who’s taking any of this seriously? We’re talking about a potential teevee spinoff of a show about vampires, witches and werewolves. NONE of this should be taken seriously (and is not even intended to be). Thanks for your concern, though.

5. Joy says:

I’m having mixed emotions about these announcements for the Originals. I’ll be sad to see the characters gone from TVD (though I hope for some guest appearances!).

It also narrows down the field of people getting killed off!

• luli says:

Dittoo! I like Rebekah on the vampire diaries, she is the reason i still watch!

• Rib says:

You just need to change your way of thinking about it. Instead of loosing Rebekah from TVD, think of it as Rebekah getting more screen time and better story arc that don’t get her daggered.

6. riley says:

i love claire and i am so so happy for her. rip my ships mabekah & stebekah

7. I’m starting to think that I’ll like the spin off more than the original series…

• Melissa says:

My thoughts exactly…why should I continue watching VD? All of the best characters and plots will disappear. I think Elena is one of the most annoying characters on the show, so why would I stick around to watch her continue to whine? Caroline is hands down my favorite character, but she and Tyler are stale. Hopefully they come up with something interesting for Caroline to do, so I will want to continue watching.

• Bella says:

Totally agree about Elena being whiny, self absorbed and annoying but the only one worse than her is Caroline. She is always meddling in everyone’s business and making drama.

8. Dave says:

The only way the spin-off will work is if Klaus and Rebekah are regulars – they’re amazing, and they steal every scene they’re on on Vampire Diaries.

• Shuayb. says:

Yup totally agree with that… And Elijah… He also makes the episodes that he is in…

• baby says:

totally agree, klaus and rebekah was the best thing on tvd tthe way thy love and hate

• Nicole says:

Very true. I love those two (Klaus and Rebekah). Rebekah does a great job wearing her heart on her sleeve and Klaus is great at being bad, yet wanting everyone to love/like him. Isn’t that something? The two badasses om the shpw just want to be loved. Anyway, they do steal the show.

9. Brandy says:

Rebekahs my favorite Orginal so I’m thrilled to finally hear this, I’ve been hoping for and waiting for this for weeks.

10. michelle says:

Nooo! Can’t she stay on TVD instead? I like her much better on that. I want my Stebekah, and Mabekah ship to set sail and that can’t happen with her on The Originals. Can we send Elena away instead, please?

11. Lois says:

Wow, I’m officially sad because I hate Klaus and now I definitely have to watch it because I love Rebekah and I love Elijah. I really wanted Rebekah to stay on the main show. :(

12. blanket says:

Honestly the spin-off is shaping out to be more interesting then TVD. Now, if we can get Candice to jump over, we would be set.

13. ggny says:

Its says APPEAR…It syas nothing about being a series regular. There is hope for her to stay on TVD!

14. Randy says:

Rebekah is my favorite on the show. I wish she was staying on TVD, but I will take 22 episodes of her on the new show over her getting staked 4 times a season on TVD. The bad part is the Originals are what make the show great. Now if Fox would just go ahead and do the Glee spin off.

15. Patricia says:

I’m really liking this show, Hayley is the only one that doesn’t really make sense but I like that actress. Now someone mentioned a triangle between Klaus/Camille/ Elija please tell me there not doing that nobody needs Elena 2.0

16. Kaycee says:

It says “appear” But I hope she’s a regular! she’s my favourite VD character. It’s nice to see Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin work together :D

17. luli says:

Rebekah is my favorite character on TVD so i hope she stays on the original show and not the spinoff , she is the reason I still watch the show. Nut i’m glad for Claire Holt she deserves it! Also…. H20 REUNiOONNN!

18. kavyn says:

Bring Katherine and Caroline into this and I’d easily jump ship.

19. Sg. Grant says:

I’d rather see Caroline go to the spin-off, and keep Rebekah on VD.

20. Jared says:

Rebekah is the ONLY reason why I’ve been watching TVD lately. Not a huge fan of the show but love Claire Holt. I might just have to give The Originals a chance.

21. Russ says:

I guess she isn’t getting the cure….

22. Erin says:

She should really stay on TVD. It makes no sense to me to bring in all these character’s, make them series regulars, then take them all out.

I get that they want this spin-off to be a success but there is a chance that this may ruin the original show.

23. Tee says:

The originals are the best part of TVD, it’s going to be hard to watch without them especially Rebekah. But on the other hand, I hope it does well, cause stories focusing more on them could be interesting.

24. YowzaPowza says:

I’ll watch. Great cast so far. My only concern is, will all these people be leaving The Vampire Diaries?

25. cars12 says:

yayyy no reason to watch TVD anymore!!

26. S says:

Good. I really hope it happens. As much as I like all the originals I hope they get this spin off and all leave TVD. It be nice to see something new for a change on TVD cause the original’s have ran their course imo..

27. wednesday says:

I’m going to miss Rebekah. I was loving her & Stefan. She was the best thing to happen to him in years. I’ve loved the character development Stefan has had over the past few episodes & that was all due to Rebekah. Now that’s going to all be a waste the minute she leaves town and I’m afraid they’re going to have him go back to pining for Elena which I will HATE! I wish Stefan could go with them!

28. Shuayb. says:

With this news it means that the death on tonights show will either be Jeremy ( thus eliminating the last human on the show, matt doesn’t count) or Bonnie ( this would be a mercy kill because she is just a plot device )

• dude says:

Jeremy is just a plot device this season too.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, this is true, but Bonnie’s been a plot device for nearly the show’s entire run, trotted out of late to fix any situation when there looks to be no solution. She’s basically functions as the show’s deux ex machina and it’s officially gotten tiresome.

29. Summer says:

So basically TVD will be back to just being about the love triangle…
    which isn’t the reason why i watch this show

30. dude says:

This is really a mixed bag. One one hand, I’m really excited to see Claire Holt lead a drama, she’s deserves to be the star of her own show and knowing that lead character is Rebekah is so awesome because she’s my favourite TV character. That said, I really feel like she belongs on TVD. I wanted to see her and Stefan properly explored and I wanted her to become a bigger part of the Vampire Diaries universe.

31. luvi says:

am so excited for the originals hope it gets pick up no more tvd for me

32. Michael says:

Great news now Claire can be as big and popular as Phoebe is about damn time

33. Mikael says:

If Rebekah leaves TVD and goes to The Originals full-time, I could see TVD expanding the Stefan/Caroline friendship into romance. I would be on board with that. They really need to shift focus from Elena. Caroline and Bonnie are much better. It’s not Nina Dobrev’s fault, because Katherine is awesome. The writers have just made Elena awful.

34. ChrisGa says:

I love Claire Holt–and of course Daniel Gillies–so this is good news but considering that Klaus has become increasingly unlikable and bascially unredeemable I’m not sure how this show will go over with me. Plus, if it gets picked up to series it probably will air right behind TVD which means Beauty and the Beast’s days are probably numbered :(.

35. danni2165 says:

who says that just because theyre doing a spin off that means theyre all leaving TVD? id like to know?????

36. Laura says:

I’m going to watch the spin-off because of my love for Klaus but I’m going to be gutted he won’t be on VD hopefully caroline may just leave mystic falls an follow him.. VD won’t be the same without Klaus though ill still watch but just hope the dreaded Stefan/Elena/Damon love triangle finaly ends its bored me for the last 2 seasons, I get it she loves she’s just another katherine

37. georgia says:

caroline has to go with him….im not overly happy that i most probably wont see damon and stefan anymore but im cool with elena not being on my screen…it wouldnt be the next best thing without caroline#facts…