Ratings: State of the Union Down Year-to-Year, The Taste Hits Low

Ratings: State of the UnionPresident Obama’s first State of the Union address for his second term drew 18.7 million total viewers across ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox on Tuesday night, while the broadcasters’ demo ratings were down an average of 27 percent versus 2012’s speech.

Of the Big 4, CBS drew the largest total audience (6.2 mil) while NBC netted the best rating (1.6).

The president’s 2012 address went on to amass almost 38 million viewers once all 14 broadcast and cable outlets were tallied.

Tuesday’s only original bit of programming, ABC’s The Taste, fell 11 and 17 percent week-to-week to 4.74 mil/1.5, hitting series lows.

1. Mike says:

Down 27%, this will be cancelled for sure, but I would bet the networks will give it another chance next year.

2. Diva says:

Two words: Mardi Gras

3. Billea says:

What about rating on CNN and MSNBC?

4. forwarddad says:

I bet A lot of viewers were watching CNN then switched to HLN to watch the drama unfold of the ex LAPD cop standoff.

I like the taste concept something bothers me about the show and I can’t figure out what.

5. Regal says:

Part of the reason the Taste was probably down was because people didn’t realize it was on. I know I thought that it was preempted by the State of the Union like everything else on the networks.

6. Thilia says:

The Taste in on ABC. The delightful network who loves to kill shows without letting them find an audience. Fans of this show should probably just throw in the towel now.

7. Tran says:

Guess I was watching Skyfall on DVD last night.

8. charles says:

Repeats usually have lower ratings, don’t they? This is a same show 3 years in a row.

9. Boiler says:

Can’t believe The Taste did that well

10. JMill33 says:

The Taste needs to go back into the shed for tweaking at a minimum.

They need to refine the selection process, stop aping so much ‘schtick’ from other reality shows, tell the competitors to cut out trying to mold themselves into reality show ‘types’, and just trim the fat in general. Bickering judges, the egomaniacal group ‘villain’, all those kind of contrivances need to go in the dumpster.

Back to the drawing board, distill the concept and more genuine personality, fewer (or better yet no) WWE cartoon characters.

I seriously doubt they’ll get the chance though.

11. Elyse says:

I wonder if Pretty Little Liars or Lying Game got a boost in ratings last night with the State of the Union on?

12. David says:

In the Los Angeles market, the SoTU was’t shown live. We were watching a cabin in Big Bear Lake burn to the ground (probably with a cop killer inside).

13. Annie says:

Watched Dog show. :)

14. McAmster says:

Well assumming most of the western states didn’t get to watch it because of news break with the sheriffs office about the Dorner case.

So ratings will reflect a bit there.

I’m dvring it for this weekends rerun thank God. Hope I don’t get spoiled before then.

15. Chicago Dan says:

CBS big loser here since they lost new NCIS/NCIS: LA for February sweeps. The SOTU speech traditionally is in January. Big winners are ABC and NBC.