Ratings: The Bachelor Hits Highs, Castle and Deception Rise, The Following Dips Again

Ratings: Castle, Deception, FollowingOn a Monday when most every show dipped or dropped, NBC’s freshman drama Deception and ABC’s Castle were among the precious few that enjoyed upticks.

Leading out of a season-low Biggest Loser (down a tenth to a 2.0 rating), Deception (3.3 mil/1.3) rose 7 and 18 percent week-to-week. In the same time slot, Castle (8.9 mil/2.0) held steady in audience while inching up two tenths to its best rating since Oct. 29. (Hawaii Five-0 however bested both, with 9.5 mil/2.1.)

Teeing up Castle, The Bachelor rose to season highs of 8.4 mil and 2.7.

RELATED | Castle Recap: A Happy Valentine’s Daze — But No ‘Big Damn Heroes’ To Be Found?

Over on CBS, How I Met Your Mother (9 mil/3.2) was down 13 and 20 percent from last week’s Robin Sparkly season highs, Rules of Engagement (8.4 mil/2.8) slipped 10 percent from its season opener, 2 Broke Girls (10.8 mil/3.5) dipped five percent and two tenths — but led Monday in the demo — and Mike & Molly (10.4 mil/2.9) dropped a few eyeballs and 9 percent. Hawaii Five-0 (9.5 mil/2.1) ticked down 4 percent and two tenths.

RELATED | The Following Post Mortem: Valorie Curry Reveals Why the Trio’s Steamy [Spoiler] Is a ‘Huge Risk!’

Fox’s Bones dipped 4 percent in total audience (to 8.7 mil) and two tenths in the demo (to a 2.2). The Following (7.75 mil/2.4) fell 14 and 17 percent and is now down 25 percent in the demo from its series premiere.

RELATED | The CW Gives Early Renewals to Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow — Which Show Deserves to Get Good News Next?

The CW’s The Carrie Diaries (1.31 mil/0.6) was down 13 percent and a tenth, while 90210 (670K/0.3) dropped 15 and 25 percent week-to-week.

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. Andrea says:

Happy to see that Castle is up. Last nights episode was wonderful!

2. mary says:

Well deserved ratings for Castle. Great episode and that gift was priceless.

3. Midori4 says:

The Following is just rather lame soap. So much promise and it’s just too unrealistic and silly at this point.

• Carl says:

Maybe your just lame, too unrealistic and silly at this point to under stand the amazing show that is the Following!

• Joe says:

Really Carl,name calling how old are you ?

• Brendan says:

I agree about The Following. The love triangle is getting a little out of hand now – gay to straight to bisexual in two weeks and really, who cares? They are killers, why do we care about their love lives. They should stick to the Bacon/Purefoy and let the kiddies fade to the background and not glamorize the bad guys so much.

4. Elyse says:

I wish the carrie diaries was doing better. hopefully they get picked up. it’s a cute show! 90210 needs to be canceled though

5. bonesfan says:

I’m glad Bones didn’t fall too much..the episode last night was fantastic..this show keeps getting better in my mind..even after 8 seasons..pretty amazing.

• DebsC says:

I agree last night’s episode epitomises all that I love about Bones. Worried that The Following will continue to bleed viewers though. Their week on week figures are similar to Alcatraz so far. Yikes!

• Toby says:

Bones. For a 8yr old show if it gets a 2.0 and above is a good week for them, imo…. So a 2.2 is a good steady rating and the viewers are more than healthy, beating The Following in views.

• B says:

Every freaking episode of Bones that was supposed to be major plot stuff (9/11, the 150th, Pelant’s return) this season have been so down in the ratings and I don’t understand. I guess Bones is better when it’s not messing with its normal formula.

• Lulu says:

@B Pelant ep got a 2.3 demo which is more than this ep a tad….I don’t know where you are getting you info from. But Pelant ep did really well….and the run of the mill formula eps you are bigging up often got 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 as well…..Faulty logic there. Sorry

• Sarah says:

It’s because the episodes the week before those (9/11, the 150th, and even last night’s) were weaker (storyline-wise), so some people didn’t watch the next one. But that’s JMO.

• Lulu says:

Bones got adjusted up last week in finals… So I am waiting for finals for this ep. But I am really happy with the 2.2. It was an awesome ep. David and Emily were amazing!

6. M says:

Yikes those 90210 ratings are bad. (And deservedly so. The show is unwatchable.) But I wonder if the CW will give it a courtesy final season like Gossip Girl or just cut it loose in May.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

It’s possible 90210 will get an order of 9-13 episodes to wrap next December, but in all honesty, the producers of the show and CW know that the end is coming – they may be better off spending the final month or so of script writing and plan for a series conclusion now in May, rather than wait for December. Better for all involved. The show is near the end, they need to wrap things up as soon as they can.

It is worth noting [at least I think] that the CW has to consider how many pilots they have, are those pilots ready for primetime; and therefore, how many of their current series can and should be canceled? Vampire, Arrow and SN just got renewed, so they can build around those three. But if you look at the ratings of [for example], Carrie Diaries, are those the type of number you want for renewal? Dixie? Nikita? BB? In my mind, at least one, maybe two, of those can’t come back in the fall with those ratings…it doesn’t serve CW well to do that. We’ll see what Cult can do once it premieres.

That said, if you look at the new pilots on the CW list, they are all leaning towards more genre type series and away from soap-type series. If CW wants to go in that direction, maybe Nikita and BB fit better into that mold, which might spell trouble for Carrie and Dixie. We’ll see what CW does, but looking at that pilot list [a list that I'm not particularly impressed], CW appears to be moving into the ‘genre’ model [Hunger Games, Hansel & Gretel, etc.] of series programming; I think that is a mistake, but that appears to be where they are headed. In my mind, the CW needs to try to be as diverse a network as possible, providing different types of shows to attract as wide an audience of young viewers as possible. Doubling-down on only genre type shows is a mistake, but we’ll know in May, maybe sooner, which way CW will go.

• CJ says:

Soap is a genre, too.

• keja says:

Granted, every show fits into a genre. But usually when people reference ‘genre’ television they are talking about speculative fiction type shows (science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, horror, or any mix thereof).

• oliver says:

i doubt 90210 will get that 9-13 episode that Gossip Girl had for its season finale. GG had that loyal (not that big, but in terms of CW standards it was big enough) following and presence in other countries, which 90210 doesn’t have. That was the sole reason GG even got picked up for half a season.

7. I love 90210… To death… Literally…

8. Tran says:

Jury’s still out on both Deception & The Carrie Diaries.

• Essie says:

Apparently the jury isn’t out on Deception, since the ratings have gone up! The show is fantastic & more intriguing every episode. ~Love it!

• TMW says:

Uhh, those ratings for Deception might be up but they’re far from good enough. NBC is preparing a very aggressive pilot season this year so Deception is probably toast-on NBC, anyway.

• dude says:

They’re not good enough ratings to be renewed but they’re acceptable enough to let them finish up its run. It’s an addicting show and the mystery is basically the central story so once its wrapped up in the finale (hopefully) there’s really no reason for it to continue anyways.

• Chicago Dan says:

Delusional. NBC had so little faith in Deception that it cut the order from 13-11 the week before it aired.

• TMW says:

It ain’t happening, Essie. There will be nothing resembling a public outcry over this one.

• Helen says:

Just started watching deception. I really love the mystery and hope it gets renewed.. I should learn my lesson and not start a show until I know for sure it will continue…beyond annoying when it gets cancelled!

• Jasmine says:

I love Deception! Love the intrigue, the wonderful cast & really so happy to see Scott Bryce. Hope it gets a full season and renewed.

• Kami says:

Love Deception! Please don’t cancel it. Great storyline and acting.

• Monica says:

Started watching Deception from the beginning and I love it. When my dvr could not get it due to silly issues I would catch up on it the next day online. However that is fixed now so I look forward to every Monday to see this show. Great cast! And I really get into the episodes each time and more so. Hoping they don’t cancel it. It would be a shame. I like it so much that I am pleading its case late at night on my little Android phone.

9. Neil says:

LMAO. Yes Castle got an uptick but lets face it, it got a 1.8 last wk, correct me if I am wrong, and it had too go up or it would just be awful, a 2.0 is nothing to write home about on a 5yr show.

• Emily says:

From the beginning, Castle has skewed older than the demo, so I doubt that’s their main concern, since it’s on its 5th season. Almost 9 million viewers on a slow Monday is nothing to complain about.

• Me says:

Demo is King and Castles demo is barely getting by each week. You guys may be ok with a 1.8 and 1.9 which it is hitting too much for my liking. And the viewers have dropped a lot since the season started. Guess it is lead dependent… IMO

• Lauren says:

Demo is *sort of* king. ABC is owned by Disney, which is definitely a franchise-based enterprise. The Castle tie-ins (books, etc.) make a lot of money with very little expense or overhead, which is *very* appealing to Disney and the network. So, although demo may be king in most context, I don’t think it necessarily trumps here. I would be shocked if the network, in contemplating whether to renew Castle each season, didn’t “adjust” the demo numbers, so to speak, to account for other profit/revenue generated by the tie-ins. In that sense, Castle does very well.

• CJ says:

Very few shows ever get over 2.0 in 18-49s in the last hour of prime time anymore.

• Christian says:

Don’t worry about it — Castle is safe for at least another year. It brings in syndication $$ for ABC and it’s doing better than Nashville and now surprisingly Revenge. And it will surely do better than Body of Proof. ABC has too many holes to fill to let a reliable performer like Castle go.

• Rida says:

It does say a lot, doesnt it? Castle still averages better than most of the 1st n 2nd year ABC shows. Also its ratings are facing massive fluctuations. So its just fine. Im
      glad Castle is up, last night’s episode was great!
      I wish The Following stabilizes already though :/

10. wrstlgirl says:

I’m liking The Following but I can understand why some viewers are losing interest. It’s a very slow moving story and probably to “out there” for some people to enjoy. For me personally, the more bizarre the better, otherwise it would just be another cop, who dun it mystery.

11. josh says:

Deception is INCREDIBLE…..has me on the edge of my seat literally every episode. Love this show.

12. paul says:

Waiting on Ratings For Dallas

13. Mikael says:

I really like Deception, but I’m wondering if it’s better off as a miniseries. Where can they go after finding out who killed Vivian that wouldn’t be too out there (like Revenge and the tangent they went on with the Initiative)

14. Sean says:

LOVE DECEPTION!!! PLEASE RENEW THIS AMAZING SHOW & ACTUALLY PROMOTE IT!!

15. Joe says:

The following is getting a little to dark for me ,I’m still watching it but I don’t know how for much longer

16. Patricia says:

Bones was perfect last Night!!!

17. Moria says:

After last night kind of “meh” on the Following. Realized I don’t care much about most characters so I feel little suspense. And there’s not much else going on except suspense at this time. The best in the show, James Purefoy, is hardly in it. Even Kevin Bacon is sort of blah.

• Kotobka says:

There was nothing wrong with the #bones ratings that should make you all sad-faced. Those are good numbers for an 8 year old series.

18. Gillian says:

My DVR didn’t record The Following last night. Ill be catching up when it replays on Sat night.

19. Nancy says:

I love deception, I hope it does not get cancelled, its getting better and better!……..GIVE IT A CHANCE!

20. Jared says:

The Carrie Diaries is a cute show but it’s not appointment television which explains why the ratings have kind of been all over the place. With the CWs current crop of pilots and returning series I just don’t know where it would fit in next season, but I do think both HoD and TCD would have been fun Summer scripted series.

21. Zorkel567 says:

Too bad about 90210, just started watching as I have become a fan of Grant Gustin. Gladto see Hawaii FIve-0 staying strong. Will be interesting to see what next year brings.

22. Dee says:

I honestly don’t understand the love for CBS comedies. They all seem to be kind of hokey with jokes that are spoon fed to the audience. Absolutely no disrespect to those who watch those shows intended, but I just don’t get the appeal.

23. JM says:

So Glad to see the ratings for Deception going up.This is such a great show.Please NBC renew Deception for another season

24. Leo says:

I’d rather they gave Deception just enough episodes to finish its course. The mystery is intriguing, but the leading man and woman are so weak. Joanna is too unbelievably stupid to go undercover and that FBI guy needs some acting skills.
    The only thing keeping me attached is the mystery and the “whodunit” thingy I love from a show.
    Sad to see The Following being down. I think it’s a really promising show with smart writing that probably beats some movies that are being aired in the cinema.
    The Carrie Diaries are light and cheerful and it’s a good escape rope.

25. Gaia says:

Any word on Monday Mornings??? I love that show!

26. LJCM says:

I really hope Deception returns. It’s a sleek show with a top of the line cast and a classic storyline done with a twist. Glad the ratings went up a bit!