Pilot Scoop: Maggie Lawson Joins ABC Comedy as Psych Enters Its (Likely) Final Season

lawsonMy sixth sense is telling me Psych‘s eighth season will be its last, and here’s why: Maggie Lawson has scored the female lead opposite James Caan in an untitled ABC comedy pilot from Mark and Robb Cullen (FX’s Lucky), TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Season’s (Possible) Newcomers

In December, USA Network renewed Psych for an eight-episode eighth season, but stopped short of declaring it the final season. But Lawson’s first-position casting in the ABC project all but confirms that the long-running comedy (which kicks off its seventh season on Feb. 27) is heading into the homestretch.

The ABCcomedy, formerly known as She’s Got Balls, follows Terry Gannon (Lawson), a recently divorced, single mother who temporarily moves in with her estranged father (Caan), a beer swilling former baseball player. She reluctantly starts coaching her son’s underdog little league team and is drawn back into the world of sports she vowed to leave behind.

1. Jimboleo says:

Dang it. Psych is a truly great show that I hate to lose and as much as I like Maggie I have little desire to watch James Caan in a single mom comedy.

2. jdhd says:

here’s hoping her new pilot fails so psych can continue then! honestly the show could go on without her or even with her as a recurring roll

3. Bob says:

Not to worry. Her new show will be canceled before Season 8 premieres. Guaranteed.

4. Pete says:

Hate to see it go. I love the show!!!

5. Pablo says:

This site is fantastic, i really enjoy it.

6. Cheyenne M says:

Fear not my fellow psych-os Maggie is not leaving the show. Yes she got another gig but, all the interviews INCLUDING this guys interview clearly states that she is go

7. Cheyenne M says:

Ing to be on the show a lot.

8. humphrey.cody@gmail.com says:

Please don’t tell us what your “gut” feels. You have no idea if this will be the last season for Psyche or not. It’s not like it’s an uncommon occurance for one of the cast members to leave a show and go on to do something else. This is just bad “reporting”. If you’re not going to tell us facts, don’t tell us anything at all.

9. Aisha Raw says:

Love the show; yet all things must end. Well except Law and Order! I wish each and every player all the best. We’ll always have DVDs and reruns! :-) BTW: I saw “Henry”on “Glades” last week in what is probably recurring. He plays the lead character’s dad.

10. TD says:

Say it aint so…What a shame!
    I have watched sitcoms from preteen to adult (now early 60s)…
    Psych has a perfect blend and balance of excellent…Writing, well placed good taste humor, acting and delivery episode to episode and rivals and in most cases surpass past or present acclaimed sitcoms.
    Anyone who has a bad day can watch an episode of Psych (repeat or new) and feel better. Pure class all around…kid friendly…

11. Ray says:

All the Good shows are being canceled and NOW THE BEST??? MONK, BURN NOTICE, LEVERAGE AND NOW PSYCH. IF ANYONE OF IMPORTANCE IS READING THIS PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL IT. It seems as the upper corporate TV minds have a major disconnect with the real viewers. Your creating a mindless class of people that have nothing that make them unique. They’re all molded into zombies. Psych makes me laugh, happy and excited every Wednesday. It saw me through the toughest times and the new shows coming out are all alike and this show got balls. It deviates from the norm and I love it for it’s character…………… They can replace Maggie Lawson eventhough I love her. The entire cast is beloved by the fans and she personally has brought down the show from super funny to a semi drama comedy. Let her go keep the show and bring on the laughs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. isabel says:

I love Juilets character,but seriously, we love this show so much, just have her move away! then if her tv show fails she can come back and “move back” to santa Barbara!!

13. Liindy says:

I am heartbroken. This show is my ultimate favorite. I never, never want it to end.
    Please don’t end Shawn and Gus they are a drug and I am totally hooked.
    Please, please, please don’t stop this hilarious adventure. Say it ain’t so. Say that Jules gets transferred or FBI or something and have someone come in until Juliette comes back and or have Jules come and guest star from time to time. Don’t end the show.

14. Louise says:

Great cast, great commraderie, do a spin off with the cast, do something to get them back. DO SOMETHING!!!

15. Jack says:

Considering that Dule is in a broadway show, he is probably too busy to do that and film a show. He is in After Midnight, and it is great.

16. SEO says:

I have a confident analytical eye intended for detail and can foresee complications prior to they occur.

17. If you wish for to get a great deal from this article then you have to apply such techniques to your won
    blog.

18. Many thanks for writing this. I have been trying to find similar to this kind of. Amazing info Let me look with regard to specifics of diet programs.